Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts
You can absolutely use frozen chicken breasts, but there are a couple things to keep in mind. In this recipe I first sear the chicken breast for extra flavor, if using frozen chicken you wont be able to do that, so just skip that step.
The second thing to keep in mind is that for frozen chicken, while the cooking time will be the same, it will take longer to come to pressure, and it will take longer for the pressure to naturally release.
Why Youll Love This Recipe:
- White chicken chili is hearty and delicious with tender shredded chicken, creamy white beans, warm spices and is bursting with fresh flavor.
- Its made in the Instant Pot, which makes the chicken extra tender and it seals in all the flavor!
- Theres just 10 minutes of prep and it may be made entirely in advance.
- Its gluten-free and dairy-free so its great for special diets.
How Long To Pressure Cook Chicken Breast By Weight
Its easy to scale the pressure cooker shredded chicken breast recipe. You can change the number of servings on the recipe card as follows:
- 1 lb chicken enter 5 servings
- 2 lb chicken enter 10 servings
- 3 lb chicken enter 15 servings
- 4 lb chicken enter 20 servings
- 5 lb chicken enter 25 servings
This will scale the amount of all the ingredients you need. Basically, 1 pound of chicken will yield about 2 1/2 cup shredded chicken, or 5 1/2-cup servings.
Just one caveat do not adjust the amount of broth. You always need about 1 cup of chicken broth for this pressure cooker chicken recipe, whether youre making one pound, five pounds, or anything in between.
Im really excited to have this chart for Instant Pot chicken breast, and I hope you are, too. Its going to be so convenient to be able to make just the right amount of pressure cooker chicken. Yay!
Also Check: Cook Frozen Meat In Pressure Cooker
Here Are The Cooking Times For Chicken Thighs In The Instant Pot:
- Bone-in skin-on thighs are great. Youll be setting the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 12 minutes with about 6-8 thighs in there. Note that you should remove the skin before serving. It will be limp.
- Bone-in skinless thighs are also going to go for 12 minutes for 8 thighs.
- Boneless skinless thighs only need 10 minutes for 8-10 thighs.
- Frozen thighs of any kind: Freeze them individually, not in a big clump. Do everything as instructed but use your frozen thighs. For 8 frozen thighs of any type, go with 14 minutes.
Here are the instructions for cooking chicken thighs in the Instant Pot in printable form.
Juicy And Flavorful Chicken Ready In No Time
It’s no secret that rotisserie chicken is the key to making meal time easier. Save yourself time by adding leftover rotisserie chicken to meals throughout the week, or serve it all at once with some quick and easy side dishes for a meal that will feed the whole family. But before you head to the grocery store to pick up a rotisserie chicken, consider cooking a whole chicken yourself. This allows you to control the flavors and seasonings used on your chicken. The Instant Pot makes it so that you can cook a whole chicken in under an hour with only five minutes of prep work. Read on for step-by-step instructions on how to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, plus more ways to use leftover chicken.
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot: Step-by-Step
Learn how to season, sear, and cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, based on Instant Pot® Lemon Rotisserie Chicken recipe.
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
Ways to Use Leftover Chicken
Recommended Reading: Is Instant Pot Lid Dishwasher Safe
How To Cook Chicken In The Instant Pot
Instant Pot chicken breastanother reason to love the Instant Pot! Heres how to make it:
Instant Pot Bbq Chicken
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is saucy, tender, and so easy to make. It makes the best BBQ chicken sandwiches and is perfect for feeding a crowd!
I love making shredded chicken in the Instant Pot because the chicken stays tender and juicy, especially when its cooked in sweet and tangy BBQ sauce. My other favorite pulled chicken recipes include these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos. And if you like this BBQ chicken recipe, youll love my Instant Pot Pulled Pork!
This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is one of my go-to recipes when I need a quick and easy meal for my family. Its super fast to prep and its one of those crowd-pleasing dinners that everyone likes. For a make ahead version, try my Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken.
This BBQ pulled chicken makes the best BBQ chicken sandwiches, especially served on brioche buns with homemade coleslaw. Add in some sweet potato fries and dinner is done! See more favorite Instant Pot chicken recipes.
Don’t Miss: What Does It Mean To Natural Release Instant Pot
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Stew
This Instant Pot chicken stew recipe makes a rich, hearty chicken dinner. Make this healthy and delicious meal for dinner tonight in only 25 minutes!
Looking for more Instant Pot Chicken recipes? Some of my favorites are Instant Pot Mediterranean Chicken Recipe and Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Soup.
Thanks to your electric pressure cooker, making comfort foods like this one take minutes instead of hours, like how this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Kale Beef Soup only takes 30 minutes.
Despite the short cooking time, this chicken stew is full of flavor and the meat is incredibly tender.
Plus, this dinner is wholesome and healthy! With boneless skinless chicken breast, potatoes, and healthy veggies, it provides plenty of protein, vitamins, nutrients, and healthy fats. There really isnt anything better than a big bowl of stew! Want to try another stew? Try my Cabbage and Sausage Stew and Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Treat your guests this game day with this creamy and cheesy Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip. Ready to serve in around 35 minutes, this is an effortless dip recipe that is made for sharing!
- Pin this recipe for later!
Also Check: Instant Pot Duo Timer
More Delicious Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Some quick easy recipes like Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast for when you forget to take these out before hand.
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is filling and comforting.
- Delicious Chicken tenders like these dump and go Instant Pot Chicken Tenders.
- And prep ahead Instant Pot Shredded Chicken to eat all week long.
- Instant Pot Chicken And Rice is great for weeknight dinners.
- This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is full of staples.
- These Instant Pot Chicken Thighs are fail proof every time.
- Mexican night staple Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
- This Instant Pot Chicken Curry is better than takeout.
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Wings are a great snack for everyone.
- The Ultimate List of Instant Pot Chicken Recipes for all things chicken.
Or turkey lovers can try this Instant Pot Turkey Breast with Garlic Butter Gravy
Top Tips For Instant Pot Chicken
- Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F before consuming.
- You can cook fresh or frozen chicken in a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 cup liquid to a 6 quart Instant Pot, or 1 ½ cups for the 8 quart.
- You can use water, broth, or another liquid to fill the cooker. I recommend using chicken broth when cooking chicken for better flavor.
- Use a trivet or steamer basket to keep chicken sitting above the liquid , to help cook more evenly.
- When planning how long it will take to prepare your chicken, consider 3 times: the time it takes to come to pressure + the actual cook time + the time it takes to release pressure.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
How To Cook Fresh Chicken Breast In Instant Pot
- Add 1 cup water and place trivet on top.
- Lay chicken breasts in a single layer, sprinkle with spices and rub onto each other.
- Press Pressure Cook on High or Manual for 10 minutes under 2 thickness and 15 minutes over 2 thick breasts.
- Do Natural Release for 5 minutes and then turn pressure valve to Venting.
Step Four: Cook On High Pressure According To The Cook Times Below
- The cook time will remain the same whether you have a small amount of chicken or a lot, but the time the Instant Pot takes to come to pressure will increase the more chicken you have. The time it takes to come to pressure will also be longer if youre cooking frozen chicken.
The below cook times are based upon average weights. If your chicken is smaller, decrease the cook time by 1 to 2 minutes depending upon the extent of the size variation. If they are larger, increase the cook time by 1 to 2 minutes. When in doubt, error on the side of less time. You can always cook the chicken for longer, but once its overcooked , you cant reverse the process.
Also Check: Instant Pot Yogurt No Button
Why Does My Instant Pot Say Burn
- A BURN warning on an Instant Pot occurs when the heat sensor reads a high temperature on the bottom of the pot, which can indicate scorching. This causes the pot to stop heating until it is resolved.
- Make sure you are using the required amount of water for your Instant Pot model. You shouldnt have a problem with this if you follow the instructions here, because this method uses enough water to prevent the warning.
Simple Ingredients For A Fast Simple Chicken Breast Recipe
Nothing too fancy here. Actually, nothing fancy AT ALL. Just some really basic ingredients for making the best, basic Instant Pot chicken recipe ever. The herbs you use can be any mix of simple dried herbs that you have in the cupboard and that you love. We think Italian seasoning is especially nice, because with herbs like marjoram and parsley in the mix, its got a little extra oomph. But if all youve got is some dried oregano, thats OK too! The Instant Pot will still work its chicken-cooking magic, and youll still be blown away by how easy it is to cook chicken breasts this way.
- Chicken stock
- Italian seasoning, oregano, basil or thyme
- Garlic powder
Recommended Reading: Reheat Ribs In Instant Pot
What To Use Shredded Chicken For
The possibilities are truly endless, yall. Shredded chicken can be used in *so* many different ways, and having pre-cooked shredded chicken on hand makes mealtime incredibly easy! Weve listed several different recipes to make great use of your shredded chicken below, and in each of them, youll simply skip the step that calls for cooking the chicken, and sub in your already cooked chicken instead!
Prep Ahead And Storage
Prep Ahead The fillets can be seasoned and marinated a day before hand.
Store Store the cooked meat in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freeze Follow the handy tips below for how to freeze this.
- Let the meat cool down then, wrap them in plastic wrap and transfer into these very handy Ziploc freezer bags.
- Squeeze out all the extra air and seal the bags.
- Label the bags and then lay them flat in the freezer.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
You May Like: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Cook the chicken as the recipe directs.
- Once cook time has elapsed and pressure has been released, remove the chicken breast from the instant pot and place it into a large mixing bowl along with ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Shred the chicken, using two forks, a handheld mixer at medium speed, or a stand mixer at low speed. Alternatively, you can shred the chicken right in the inner pot of your instant pot using 2 forks or a handheld mixer.
How To Cook Chicken Thighs In The Instant Pot
Fresh, frozen, boneless, bone-in, skinless, or skin-on the Instant Pot can do it all.
In case you haven’t heard, the Instant Pot is quite a versatile appliance. It can cook chicken thighs every which way, whether it’s fresh, frozen, boneless, bone-in, skinless, or skin-on. If you don’t know where to start, consider this your guide to everything you need to know about Instant Pot chicken thighs. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to cook chicken thighs in the Instant Pot, plus get top-rated recipes for more inspiration.
Related:The Best Electric Pressure Cookers According to Our Test Kitchen
Don’t Miss: Poultry Setting On Instant Pot
How To Cook A Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
How to cook a whole chicken in an Instant Pot. This rotisserie-style Instant Pot whole chicken recipe is easy to make, even if you are a beginner with using your pressure cooker. Its perfect for Sunday dinner or to make ahead for quick meals throughout the week! Cook from fresh or frozen.
Out of all of the recipes that Ive cooked in my Instant Pot, this whole roast chicken might be my favorite. Its become a part of my weekly routine to make an Instant Pot whole chicken for dinner. Then I use the leftover chicken to make the best quick meals throughout the week! You can use your leftover chicken in salads, pastas, casseroles or sandwiches.
Cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot is fast, simple and budget-friendly. Instead of buying a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken at the store, you can make this Instant Pot whole chicken recipe with just minutes of prep time. Your homemade chicken will taste so much better than store-bought, and you can control the ingredients that you use.
This pressure cooker chicken recipe makes the best tender, moist and juicy chicken. Cooking the whole bird gives you both white and dark meat, so everyone in the family can have what they enjoy. Just wait until you try the homemade rotisserie rub in this recipe it is the best!
Ingredients For Pressure Cooker Chicken Breast
You really need only chicken breasts and water. Everything else is up to your taste and what meal idea you are planning to use with your cooked Instant Pot chicken breast recipe.
If you are adding cooked chicken breast to salads, quesadillas and tostadas, I would not worry about seasonings much.
If you are planning to eat cooked chicken breast alongside quinoa or brown rice and salad , I would pay attention to spices.
- Chicken breasts You can use fresh or frozen.
- Salt and pepper Simple seasonings so your chicken is a blank slate for recipes.
- Garlic powder If you wish, but not required.
- Dried herbs If you like, really it will depend on how you plan to use the chicken once it is ready.
Use one of these 5 chicken marinades to really ramp up the flavor of the chicken breast.
Also Check: How To Make Frozen Meatballs In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Traditionally, this dish takes hours to cook in the oven. Our Instant Pot version is ready in a fraction of the time and is made entirely in the pot hello, easy clean-up! The chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender and the tomato sauce has the perfect smoky kick, thanks to the bacon.
Get the Recipe: Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Cooking Tips For The Best Instant Pot Roast Chicken
- Use a dry rub to season the chicken before cooking, and try to get some of the rub under the skin on the chicken breasts. The spice rub in this whole chicken recipe is a simple blend of seasonings and it is so good! My kids cannot get enough of it! You can easily use your favorite seasonings if you prefer.
- Sear the chicken before pressure cooking. You can do this right in your Instant Pot using sauté mode! Browning the chicken adds so much flavor!
- The easiest way to flip the chicken. Turning the chicken over in the Instant Pot after browning it on the first side can be a little tricky. Heres what Ive found works best: stick a long handled spoon or tongs into the cavity and then use another long spoon to turn the chicken first onto its side and then flip it over. The smaller your chicken, the easier it will be to flip over in the pot. The chicken in the photos in this post was 5.5 pounds and it just barely fit in my Instant Pot. Flipping it was not easy but I got it done!
- Flavor from the inside out. After searing the chicken, fill the cavity with half of a fresh lemon, half an onion, and fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme. While this is optional, it will infuse your chicken with extra flavor as it cooks!
- Broil for crispy skin. You can put your chicken under the broiler in your oven for 4-5 minutes after it is done cooking to crisp up the skin. Honestly, I dont bother with this because we dont eat the skin but it is up to you!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot