Why Pressure Cook Eggs
The answer to that is consistent results and ease of peeling!
No more shells sticking to the egg, and absolutely no struggle to remove it. The peel just slides off the egg after pressure cooking.
And once you figure out what cook time works best for you, it turns out perfect every single time. The yolk texture is just right for me- moist and creamy, not dry or crumbly at all.
It’s a hand-off style of making boiled eggs. Simply set it and walk away. No watching over the pot of boiling water on the stove anymore.
It takes me a total of 20 minutes to cook a batch of eggs, which is just a couple of minutes more than the time on the stove, but I don’t have to babysit the eggs. For me, Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs;are a clear winner.
Recipes That Use Hard Boiled Eggs
Hard-boiled eggs are a great low-carb snack option.; My husband likes to eat them for a breakfast on-the-go, too.; So we usually make at least a dozen hard-boiled eggs a week.; Here are some ways we like to use extra hard-boiled eggs.
- I keep a batch of hard-boiled eggs on hand in my refrigerator for quick breakfasts and keto snacks.
- Make keto deviled eggs. Or for a twist on the classic recipe, try loaded deviled eggs with bacon, or guacamole deviled eggs.
- Make keto egg salad.
- Use them to whip up a quick egg sandwich with keto-friendly bread.
- Add them to salads for a boost of protein think Cobb Salad or Salad Nicoise.
How Do You Boil Eggs In Instant Pot
- Altitude: close to sea level
- Eggs: store-bought;Large eggs,;straight from the fridge
- Liquid:;1 cup of cold tap water
- Time:;High Pressure for 8 minutes &;Low Pressure for 12 minutes
- Pressure:;High Pressure ;& Low Pressure;
- Release Method: immediate Quick Release
- Cooking Method: on a steamer rack
*Pro Tip: If you want perfect;hard boiled;eggs, be mindful that every factor above affect the results of your eggs. If you change even the slightest thing, your results may differ.
Recommended Reading: What Appliances Does An Instant Pot Replace
Are Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs Healthy
YES!One large egg contains 80 calories, 5g fat, 1g carbohydrates, and 6g protein!
- One egg contains over 10 percent of your daily recommended Vitamin D intake!
- Hard-boiling and poaching have shown to be the healthiest methods of preparing eggs, as they dont require oil or butter for cooking.
- Hard boiled eggs are LOW CARB , gluten free, Paleo approved, Whole30 approved, and are vegetarian!
- Eggs contain phosphorus, vitamin B12, and essential amino acids. Eggs also contain 15% of your daily riboflavin intake and also include folate, iron, vitamin B6, and zinc!
How To Boil Eggs:
1. Place cold eggs in a medium stainless steel pot and cover with cold water, filling 1 over the surface of the eggs. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat uncovered.
2. Once at a boil, reduce heat to keep a medium boil then set a timer for your desired doneness .
3. Prepare your ice water bath and as soon as the timer is done, transfer eggs into ice water.
You May Like: Can You Can With An Instant Pot
How Long To Boil Eggs Chart:
As soon as the water comes to a boil, set your timer and follow this time chart for soft boiled to hard-boiled eggs. Tip: You can pull them out at different times and set up different bowls with ice water to make a variety of eggs all in one pot.
- Boil 2 minutes: soft boiled with a liquid center
- Boil 3 minutes: soft-boiled with a creamy center
- Boil 4-5 minutes: medium-boiled with a moist, soft center
- Boil 6-7 minutes: hard-boiled eggs with a soft center
- Boil 8-9 minutes fully hard-boiled eggs with firm, dry center
A perfect hard-boiled egg should have fully set whites, have a bright yellow center and should never have a green tinge around the yolk which signifies overcooking. Soft-boiled eggs have fully set whites and a creamy liquid center.
How To Peel Eggs
One of the major quandaries when troubleshooting this recipe was how to easily peel a hard-boiled egg once its cooked.
3 Tips for Easy-to-Peel Hard-Boiled Eggs:
- Ice Bath: An ice bath immediately after you finish cooking the eggs is crucial and ice them for at least 5 minutes! The longer you ice them the easier they are to peel.
- Rolling it Out: Hitting the rounded bottom of the egg and then vigorously rolling the egg resulted in an egg that was easier to peel.
- Running under Cold Water: If your eggs are still being a bit tricky, run them under cold water while peeling. Make sure the water runs between the egg white and the membrane so it helps to separate the two.
Some say old eggs are easier to peel. If you happen to have some week or two-week-old eggs, go ahead and use those up.
If you dont, no problem! In my dozens of egg trials, I did not see a huge difference.
Read Also: Which Instant Pot Has The Recall
How To Make The Best Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs:
**scroll all the way down for printable directions, full ingredient list, and step by step video**
- Using a;6 or 8 quart Instant Pot, add 1 cup of water to the bottom, then place the trivet or;rack in the bottom of the pot.;
- Place medium or large eggs on the trivet. I usually make up to 8 in my 6 quart instant pot, but you can add more or less.;
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure valve is in the sealed position.;
- Set the pot on high or manual pressure, for 4 minutes.;
- You should remember when using the;Instant Pot, that the time it takes to cook the recipe , is not the total time of the recipe. You need to give the pot some time to come to pressure. Since there isnt much liquid, this should take 5-10 minutes.
- Once they have sat for 5 minutes, go ahead and remove them from the water. Peel and serve or place in the fridge and store until ready to eat!
Making Hard Boiled Eggs In A Pressure Cooker
Cooking hard-boiled eggs in a pressure cooker is simple, but there are a few tricks to know for perfect results every time.
Recommended Reading: Are Instant Pot Lids Dishwasher Safe
Accessories Used For Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
Note about Steamer basket: When I’m cooking 1-6 eggs , the;traditional steamer basket works fine. But, if I’m cooking more than 6, like for an egg salad or deviled eggs, then it’s much easier to use this Silicone Steamer Basket. It has long and convenient handles that make it easy to lower the heavy basket in and to pull it out.
How To Make Homemade Instant Pot Yogurt
Step One: Clean your Instant Pot.;
- This sounds like a no-brainer. But I am not talking about simply washing your Instant Pot–you need to sanitize your inner pot.
- You can prepare your inner pot for making yogurt by pouring boiling water in the inner pot and then discard the water.
- This step can be skipped, but it helps drastically in the flavor of your yogurt–especially if you have been making a lot of Instant Pot Chili.
Step Two: Heat your Milk in your Instant Pot.
- Pour ½ gallon milk into the inner pot of your electric pressure cooker, put the lid on the Instant Pot . Hit yogurt function and then the adjust button until it says Boil.
- When the Instant Pot beeps that it is done, remove the lid and test the temperature to be sure the milk has reached 180 degrees.
- I like to leave the inner pot in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes before removing it. This helps the yogurt thicken up a bit better.
Step Three: Cool the milk to approximately 105-115 degrees.;
- Cooling the milk to this temperature takes about 1 hour if placed on the counter.
- I like to speed the process up by placing the inner pot into a large mixing bowl in ice water. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Fava Beans In Instant Pot
In Love With The Instant Pot
Im somewhat new to the Instant Pot . I love the ability to get dinner on the table so quickly, I love how versatile it is and how many other appliances;it replaces .
I love being able to cook Instant Pot Egg Bites&;Instant Pot mac and cheese in minutes and of course to make the best ever melt-in-your-mouth Instant Pot Ribs. There is one thing I didnt realize I could do in the Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs.
Add The Eggs To The Egg Racks
I have the set of stacked racks seen below. It allows me to make lots of eggs at once. First, set the lower rack in the pot and start loading in the eggs.
After the first rack is full, set your second rack on top and start loading the eggs into it.
It is very important, especially if youre making deviled eggs and you want your eggs to look pretty with centered yolks, to place the eggs with the pointy tip facing down. This will ensure a centered yolk every time!
I want to point out that I only needed to make a dozen eggs here, but you can use the center ring on both racks and cook a total of 14 eggs.
Read Also: How To Slow Cook In The Instant Pot
How To Cooks Eggs In The Instant Pot
I based my eggs on the popular “5-5-5” method for hard-cooked eggs in the Instant Pot. The idea is to put your eggs into a steamer basket and seal them inside your pressure cooker along with a cup or so of water. It takes about five minutes for the cooker to come up to high pressure, five minutes to cook the eggs, and then five minutes of natural pressure release before removing the eggs from the cookerhence the “5-5-5” method.
I found that this basic formula worked just fine, though it typically takes my pressure cooker closer to 10 minutes before fully pressurizing.
I also decided that I like the texture of 4-minute eggs better than 5-minute eggs. At four minutes, the whites are firm but soft and the yolk is cooked through but still creamy; at five minutes, I felt like the whites started to become rubbery and the yolk was a little chalky. Give it a try both ways and see which you prefer.
- New to the Instant Pot? Check out our post How To Use an Instant Pot: A First-Timers Guide.
Do I Need Any Special Accessories To Make Boiled Eggs
For this recipe, you will need an egg rack metal trivet in order to make the eggs.
Even if you dont have any special accessories, for the first time you can use the simple trivet that you got when you purchased the Instant Pot.
Later you can get dedicated Instant Pot trivets that come with handles so you can make much more eggs at once and take them out altogether.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot Duo
How To Make Hard Boiled Eggs In A Stove
- To cook eggs in a stove-top pressure cooker,; add 1 cup water to the cooker base.
- Place steamer basket or trivet with eggs.; Close the lid.
- Once the cooker reaches high pressure, typically with 1 whistle, reduce the heat to medium and set a 5 minute timer.
- Turn the heat off.; Wait another 5 minutes and then release the pressure by lifting the pressure weight.
- Open the lid.; Remove the eggs and soak them for 5 minutes in cold water with ice, to stop the cooking process.
- Since stove-top heat burners may have difference heat levels, it may take you 1-2 tries to master this style for the way you like your hard boiled eggs.
Use these boiled eggs to make thisEgg Biryani Recipe.
The Perfect Egg Has Always Eluded Me Until Now
When I found out I could make PERFECT hard-boiled eggs in my Instant Pot, I was very excited to give it a try. I have to say, it didnt disappoint!
I am finally able to make perfect hard-boiled eggs! Centered yolk and everything!
With just a press of a button, you can also make perfect hard-boiled eggs in no time!
You May Like: Can You Cook Bacon In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot Egg Recipes
- Place the trivet or egg rack inside the Instant Pot and add 2 cups of water.
- Put the eggs on the trivet and close the lid.
- Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, wait for a natural pressure release for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid take out the eggs.
- Put the eggs in a bowl of cold water for 3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy
How Do You Cook Hard Boiled Eggs In An Instant Pot
We use the 5-5-5 method for cooking eggs in the Instant Pot. What is the 5-5-5 method? 5 minutes high pressure, 5 minutes natural release, 5 minutes ice cold water.
- Place a trivet, basket or egg rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot liner.
- Add the water.
- Place eggs into the basket or trivet.
- Close lid and set to sealing. Press manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Quick release any remaining pressure after 5 minutes.
- Open the pot and place the eggs in a bowl of ice water.
- Allow the eggs to sit in ice water for 5 minutes. Then remove them, dry them and peel them.
- Serve eggs as desired.
You May Like: How To Cook Potatoes In An Instant Pot
How To Hard Boil Eggs In Instant Pot:
For Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
These are essentially steamed hard boiled eggs. The eggs arent immersed in water, instead they are suspended above it on a steaming rack.
You will need a trivet to follow this recipe. I just use the one that came with my Instant Pot.
Simply add the cold water to the bottom of the pot, place the trivet/rack/steamer basket into the pot and arrange the eggs on top of that. You can add as many eggs as you can fit in one layer, which was about 12 for me.
Ive heard others even stack their eggs and fit 16-24 this way. But I havent worked up the courage to try this, in fear of all the eggs cracking.
Read Also: How To Cook Pumpkin In Instant Pot
How To Store Hard Boiled Eggs
Peeled or unpeeled hard boiled eggs can be stored in your fridge for up to one week.; I usually keep my eggs unpeeled just to keep them as fresh as possible, but if I do peel the eggs, I suggest covering them with a damp paper towel and storing them in a sealed airtight container in the fridge.; I dont ever freeze my hard-boiled eggs as they just dont keep well and can get super rubbery and discolored.
As I said before, this is just really great for meal prep because it makes a ton of eggs all at once with little to no effort, easy clean up and everything is basically hands-free!
I hope you all enjoy this method as much as we do and if you do decide to make this or any other Eat Yourself Skinny recipe, please make sure to tag me on ;so I can see all the yummy things youre eating!