How Exactly To Use Your Pressure Cooker As A Slow Cooker
yesâ¦but#1 Use the Right Lid#2 A Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Heat Up Differently#3 Cooking Times Are a Little DifferentOn your Instant Pot, those settings are called Less, Normal, and More
The Steam Handle Is In The Venting Position
If your instant pot will not release pressure naturally, then its likely that the steam handle is already in the venting position. This would mean that pressure hasnt built within the pot, leading to your pot simply being unable to vent pressure that isnt there.
Alternatively, you may have knocked or otherwise accidentally triggered the steam release handle, leading to the pressure venting very quickly. If the pressure of the pot has equalized, you will not be able to naturally release any pressure.
Functions Of An Instant Pot
As I mentioned earlier, the instant pot is multifunctional. It provides a whole lot of services within very little time.
- You can use your instant pot as a slow cooker, to make delicious, flavorful food.
- You can use it as a pressure cooker. This is the most common usage of an instant cooker. The pressure created inside the instant pot cooks your food in a very short time.
- Instant pots are great for cooking rice. You can set a timer and get done with your chores. You dont have to stand by the cookers side to check if the rice is cooking properly. After the timer goes off, the process of cooking will automatically stop.
- Another important function of an instant pot is that you can use it as a steamer.
- You can make yoghurt in an instant pot.
- You can also use your instant pot to keep food warm for longer hours.
- Some instant pots come with additional features as well, such as different modes for baking cakes and boiling eggs.
You May Like: Instant Pot Keeps Saying Food Burn
The Two Most Important Safety Instructions For Your Instant Pot
The Instant Pot manual is filled with safety instructions, but these two are the critical ones to remember:
First, never put your face near the steam release valve or float valve while the Instant Pot is on. When I toggle the steam release valve, I use a long handled wooden spoon so my hand and arm are not near the valve opening. Any kitchen utensil with a long handle will do. Alternatively, you can use an oven mitt to carefully turn the steam release valve to the venting position when you are ready to release the pressure in your Instant Pot.
Second, never open the Instant Pot lid until the pressure has been released through the steam release valve. You will know that all the pressure has been released when the float valve drops down.
Depending on which Instant Pot model you have, the float valve may be red or silver. It may pop up above the level of the lid when the pot is pressurized, or it may pop up to be flush with the level of the lid. In my 6 quart LUX, the silver float valve is below lid level normally and pops up to be flush with the level of the lid when pressurized. You will get to know how your Instant Pot model works.
These photos show my 8 quart DUO and you see that the float valve is above the lid level in the left photo, which shows a pressurized pot.
Never attempt to open the lid of your Instant Pot while it is pressurized.
Do I Need To Adjust My Recipes At Higher Altitude
The short answer is yes. Some Instant Pot models e.g. Ultra and MAX will allow you to set your altitude and the cooking times will be automatically adjusted for you. Otherwise, cooking should be adjusted 5% for every 1,000 feet above 2,000 ft. above sea level. So, for example, at 3,000 ft., you will increase cooking time by 5% and at 4,000 ft., you will increase cooking time by 10% and so forth. One of our team members has lived at many varying high elevations and personally, I have never run into altitude-related issues with my Duo model.
Recommended Reading: Can You Steam Kale
Instant Pot Natural Release Method
Remember our soda can example? What happens when you wait a bit before opening a shaken or dropped can of soda? I guess nothing happens. It opens very normally. This is the Instant Pot Natural Release Method.
Waiting 10-30 minutes allows the pressure in the Instant Pot to drop naturally. Once the heat source is turned off, the temperature starts to drop. As the temperature drops, the pressure also drops. Once the Instant Pots temperature drops below 200 degrees, the floating valve will fall to the down position. The Instant Pot is no longer pressurized and is safe to open.
So when is it best to use the Instant Pot Natural Release Method?
Resting meat after grilling allows the natural juices to reabsorb into the meat. The same is also true for the Instant Pot. Foamy foods like oatmeal and soup are also great candidates for natural release.
How Long Does Instant Pot Take To Preheat
Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that got popular over the last few years.
One of the most common question is how long does it take to preheat?
Well, that depends on your pot. The instant pots design is very similar to other electric pressure cookers on the market, so the time that it takes for your cooker to reach pressure will depend on the size of the pot and the amount of food that youre cooking. Typically, smaller pots take longer to reach pressure.
Instant Pot is a game changer in the kitchen.
Since it is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker and much more in one, its become a staple of busy home cooks everywhere.
Did you know that the Instant Pot takes more than ten minutes to preheat?
Depending on your Instant Pot model, it will take between 13 and 20 minutes to heat up.
So, youll need to add ten to fifteen minutes to your prep time if you dont want to wait.
Have you recently purchased a new instant pot?
Are you wondering how long the instant pot takes to preheat? You have come to the right place.
Recommended Reading: Cooking Frozen Pork Chops In Instant Pot
There Are 2 Things To Know About Using Your Instant Pot As A Slow Cooker
First, the Instant Pot only heats from the bottom surface, whereas typical slow cookers heat from the bottom and all of the sides.
Second, setting the Instant Pot slow cook function isnât the most intuitive.
If you select slow cook function, set your time, and walk away, you may have accidentally set your Instant Pot to âkeep warmâ.
Unfortunately the terms used on the Instant Pot face plate for slow cooker temperature settings are not awesome.
With a regular slow cooker you are used to âKeep Warmâ, âLowâ, and âHighâ.
But, on your Instant Pot, those settings are called âLessâ, âNormalâ, and âMoreâ
If you simply press slow cooker, set the time, and walk away, you may have your pot set to âLessââ which is essentially a keep warm function.
So, here is the run down of how to set your Instant Pot for slow cooking:
As for the lid. You can use the regular instant pot lid, and set it to vent. Or, you can get a clear instant pot lid, OR you can use a lid form your pots and pans set that fits!
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
But Pay Attention To The Max Fill Line
Inside your inner pot, youll see it says PC MAX, with a line and a 1/2 line. Its important to never fill your inner pot past than the max line.
For food that expands with heat , do not fill the inner pot past the ½ line.
Overfilling your Instant Pot can result in leakage, splatter, or poorly cooked food and its a mistake youll only make once.
You May Like: How Long To Boil Peanuts In Instant Pot
How To Quick Release Instant Pot
Once you know how to quick release, you can also opt for a combination approach. Some people find its a good idea to let the Instant Pot natural release for a few minutes first, and then apply a little quick release action to let off more steam.
Best Recipes for the Quick Release Setting
How Do I Get Into This Thing When Its At Pressure
Now you need to release the pressure. There are two ways:
- Natural release: That means you do nothing but wait. The more food in the Instant Pot, the longer it takes for the pressure to come downas long as 30 minutes if you have, say, a big batch of chili. In a lot of recipes, this time is actually part of the cooking time, and the recipe will specify natural release in the instructions. Think of it as carryover cooking. Youll use natural release with dried beans, a lot of soups and stews, most meats, steamed desserts, and long-cooking vegetables.
- Quick release: With this method, you use the quick release valve and steam shoots up out of it. Once again, the more food in your Instant Pot, the longer it takes for the steam to release. Youll use quick release for quick-cooking foods like tender vegetables and seafoods.
Read Also: Instant Pot Venison Roast Onion Soup Mix
What Is Natural Release
Instant Pot natural release is when you allow the Instant Pot to cool down by itself, releasing steam slowly. When the food is done cooking, the Instant Pot will automatically release steam gradually until the float valve drops down. This could take up to 30 minutes.
We recommend natural release for soups and other food with high liquid content.
Other Instant Pot Recipes For You
- Wash the dry chickpeas thoroughly and soak it with water fully covered.
- Leave it for 6 to 8 hours or overnight to soak. After it has soaked, drain the water and add the chickpeas to the stainless steel inner pot of instant pot.
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas yields approximately 3 cups of soaked chickpeas.
- For 1 Cup chickpeas add 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water. Close the Instant pot lid.
- Check the vent if in a sealed position. Switch on the Instant pot and press the manual button.
- Set the cook time to 15 minutes on high pressure.
- Once done let the pressure naturally release.
- Open the lid and use the chickpeas as your preference.
No soaking method
- Wash the chickpeas thoroughly and add it to the inner stainless steel pot.
- For 1 Cup of chickpeas add 3 cups of water. Close the Instant pot lid and check the vent is in a sealed position.
- Press the manual button and set the cook time to 45 minutes in high pressure.
- Once it is done, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open and use the chickpeas as per your preference.
Read Also: How To Reheat Tamales Without Drying Them Out
Instant Pot Natural Release Or Quick Release
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read the disclosure.
Published: by Paint the Kitchen Red |
Instant Pot natural release or quick release? Which should you use? Once the Instant Pot has finished pressure cooking, there are multiple ways that you can release pressure. Find out what the different types of pressure releases are, how to quick release, how to do a natural release, and when you should use each method.
How To Safely Release Pressure From The Valve Of Your Instant Pot
Once you hear your Instant Pot beeping because the food is done, you can choose to release the pressure immediately or let it sit for a bit before releasing .
When you’re ready to release, grab the handle of the pressure release valve and turn it downwards to the Venting position.
Once all of the pressure is released from the valve, the pin should go down , and you can safely open up the Instant Pot.
Releasing the pressure when cooking with an Instant Pot can be a bit scary at first, but you get used to it once you start using it more. Just make sure to never touch the handle of the pressure release knob directly, as hot steam and liquid coming out may burn you. Always use something to turn the knob , divert the steam away from cabinets, and also release in controlled bursts for lots of liquid or starch.
You May Like: Turkey Brine Kit Bed Bath And Beyond
How To Let Instant Pot Depressurize Naturally : How To Make Strawberry Jam In Your Instant Pot
How To Let Instant Pot Depressurize Naturally : How to Make Strawberry Jam in Your Instant Pot – Mama … – The housing with the cooking element at the bottom . The sealing ring naturally expands during the cooking process, but as it cools it should return back to its original state. Instant pot is a brand and i don’t work with or for instant pot. The instant pot pressure cooker will naturally release pressure over time after cooking is. Add it all to your instant pot and cook on high pressure for four minutes. Using the instant pot lets you dump all ingredients into the pot at once and move on to other tasks while everything cooks.
Allow the pot to naturally depressurize. (speaking of dinner how about letting me plan dinner for you this week? How to use instant pot: The instant pot has a pressure switch at the top which you can set to either venting or sealing. I accidentally opened mine while it was still depressurizing and although the pressure was almost back to normal i was cleaning up pot roast juice from the ceiling for several hours.
Is This Thing Safe
Instant Pots are safer than stovetop pressure cooking. Everyone has heard stories about old-time pressure cookers exploding. Your Instant Pot wont do that because the temperature and pressure inside the pot is carefully monitored and regulated through its programming.
Remember: Its your trusty cooking robot.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Burn Notice
How To Do A 10 15 Minutes Natural Pressure Release
After the cooking cycle finished, wait 10 15 minutes before moving the Venting Knob from Sealing Position to Venting Position to release the remaining pressure.
Always make sure the Floating Valve completely drops before opening the lid.
Whats the advantage?
- Compare to Quick Release: Significantly reduces the chance of food splattering out from the Pressure Release Valve.
- Compare to Natural Release: Faster release method when the pressure cooker is full of food with high liquid volume.
A Quick Recap Of Key Cooking Stages
As we discussed in this post, there are three key phases to cooking in the Instant Pot. Once you add all ingredients and liquids, secure and lock the lid and choose your setting and time, the following things happen:
You May Like: How To Cook Brisket In Pressure Cooker