How To Cook Frozen Chicken Wings In The Instant Pot:
This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker if you do not currently have an Instant Pot.;
Storing Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Refrigerating: Store Instant Pot chicken thighs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for 3-5 days.
- Freezing: Freeze Instant Pot chicken thighs by placing them in a freezer-safe plastic storage bag. You can keep them on hand for up to 3 months. If you have a vacuum sealer, they will last for up to a year.
Reheating Tip: Reheat frozen Instant Pot chicken thighs by popping them back in the Instant Pot. If you are reheating refrigerated thighs, microwave them or reheat them in an air fryer f you want them extra crispy.
Read Also: Instant Pot Burn Error Message
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Wings Frozen Or Fresh
The Instant Pot makes cooking chicken wings so quick and easy! Now you can make perfectly cooked wings in under 30 minutes! *Full ingredients list and instructions listed below in the recipe card.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Duo Delay Start
Can You Use Frozen Chicken Wings
Yes, you can, And if you have the air fryer lid because you have an instant pot, it is faster to make frozen wings first in the pressure cooker and finish them with the air fryer lid.
You dont need to wait for the wings to thaw if you have the instant pot, and you can have chicken wings in the same or less time than it would take to order carry-out and much healthier.
Can You Deep Fry Food In The Instant Pot
No, unfortunately, the Instant Pot doesnt get hot enough to deep frying food, and its not safe to do either. A Dutch oven or deep fryer are best for that task.
Dont let that stop you from making chicken wings in your Instant Pot!
In this recipe, youll pressure cook the wings then finish them off in the oven. However,;by using the saute setting, basic pan frying can be done in the bottom of the Instant Pot as well so you can always fry your wings after the fact to get them crispy just like deep fried wings.
You May Like: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
Making Pressure Cooker Chicken Wings Crispy
Making these Instant Pot chicken wings crispy is super easy, especially if you have a Duo Crisp, Ninja Foodi, Mealthy Crisp Lid, or an air fryer.
Further, you can make frozen chicken wings in the Instant Pot Duo or Ninja Foodi. The recipe works from either frozen or thawed. You simply pressure cook a bit longer for frozen wings.;
;I started with a basic pack of party chicken wings. This will make 10-12 wings. You can double the amount of wings if you wish and still have plenty of sauce.;
Put a cup of broth or water in the pot and put the wings into the air fry basket of the Duo Crisp or Ninja Foodi.
If using a standard Instant Pot, put them on the trivet or in a steamer basket. Then pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes if fresh and 12 if frozen.;
I just dumped the frozen block of wings in. It is better if you can break them up a bit, but mine were frozen solid. If you have a frozen block and find them still not cooked through after pressure cooking, bring the pot back to pressure and given them about 2 more minutes.
After pressure cooking, quick release, drain the liquid, and spray or coat the wings with oil and add a bit of Seasoned Salt or salt and pepper to taste. I like to use a spray avocado oil that has no additives. Avocado oil is healthy and holds up well to high heat from the air fryer.
If using your oven, place the wings on baking sheet and broil until crispy. turning several times.
Make Sure Breasts Are Separated
I cant stress enough how important it is to make sure your frozen chicken breasts are separated. Just like pictured below.
If you add a blob of frozen breasts stuck together, they will not cook inside and overcook outside.
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Chicken Wings
This recipe for Instant Pot Duo Crisp Chicken Wings is what now has me completely in love with my Duo Crisp. It is also a great recipe for Ninja Foodi chicken wings. Plus it is the perfect recipe if you have a;Mealthy Crisp Lid for your Instant Pot.;Read my Duo Crisp Review and see my Duo Crisp v. Ninja Foodi Comparison Chart for more.
If you have made regular Instant Pot chicken wings before, you know that; you have to put them under a broiler or in an air fryer if you want them really crispy. Well, now making Instant Pot crispy chicken wings is super easy! I pair these up with a classicreal deal; Buffalo wing sauce for some great Instant Pot Duo Crisp buffalo wings.
Dont have a new Instant Pot Duo Crisp, Mealthy Crisp Lid,; of Ninja Foodi?; Well, no worries, you can still make buffalo chicken wings in the pressure cooker crispy. But it will require popping them under a broiler, or better yet, in an air fryer such as the Instant Vortex Plus or Instant Omni. See my Instant Vortex v. Instant Omni comparison chart and links to full reviews for more.;
I give directions here for; making Instant Pot chicken wings three ways: In the Duo Crisp or with the Mealthy, or by pressure cooking paired with the broiler or with the air fryer. This recipe is Keto and low carb!
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Season the chicken wings with the spice mix.
- Pour 1 cup of water or broth into the bottom of the instant pot.
- Place the trivet or steamer basket inside the pressure cooker.
- Place the seasoned fresh or frozen chicken wings on the trivet or inside the steamer basket.
- Close the lid and turn the valve to sealed.
- Cook on high pressure and set the timer.
- After the cooking is done, do a natural release pressure for 5 minutes.
- Release the remaining pressure and remove the wings from the instant pot.
- Toss chicken wings with half of the sauce.
- Broil for a few minutes or until golden on one side, then flip the chicken wings and broil the other side.
- Brush or toss with the remaining sauce.
Read Also: Dutch Oven To Slow Cooker Conversion
Apply The Settings And Start
Apply 10 minutes on the poultry setting and begin cooking on high.
Test Kitchen tip: Cooking time does depend on the size of the chicken breasts. If they are on the larger side, or if youre cooking them as a frozen chunk, we recommend adding 10 extra minutes to the cooking time to ensure theyre fully cooked.
Got questions about all the buttons on your Instant Pot? We decode them all.
Can I Stack Chicken In An Instant Pot
Ideally, no. Butyes.
Placing chicken in the pressure cooker in a single layer will give you the best results to make sure its evenly-cooked. However, this limits how many pieces of chicken you can cook at once.
If were going by total amount, you can certainly fit more chicken with stacking . Just be aware that you may need to increase cooking time if you do this, and be sure to check internal temp.;
If you are using frozen chicken, keep it to a single layer, no stacking.
Read Also: How To Cook Ground Turkey In Instant Pot
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe is all about the flavor! Thanks to the herbs and spices, you will have a beautifully aromatic meal. Once you try this recipe, you wont do it any other way!
There are so many reasons why this is the best recipe and why you should make it! Here are a few:
- You can make it in 30 minutes from start to finish!
- The meat is super flavorful thanks to the herbs and spices!
- The meat stays juicy and doesnt dry out!
Can I Use This Recipe With Instant Pot Max
Instant Pot Max cooks at 15 psi, roughly the same pressure as a stovetop pressure cooker and all the former models cook at 12.1 psi for HIGH. If you have a Max, you can use the same directions below but set the settings to Pressure Cook on MAX for 12 minutes. By the way, the Max machine does allow you to set the pot for the older setting and you can certainly do this recipe on HIGH and cook for longer .
You May Like: Instant Pot Pasta Water Ratio
Is It Safe To Cook Frozen Chicken
According to the USDA, yes, you can safely cook your frozen chicken, as long as you follow a couple general guidelines. In order to skip the thawing step and turn your frozen chicken into a fully-cooked, safe-to-eat dinner, use your oven or stove top and simply increase your cooking time by at least 50%.
Instant Pot Wings Recipe Tips
- This recipe calls for 3 or 4 pounds of chicken wings. If cooking 3 pounds, you dont have to use all of the spice mix if you think is too much.
- When seasoning frozen wings, the spice mix may not stick to the wings as well. It will still give them flavor.
- Broiling the wings is not required. The wings will be fully cooked out of the pressure cooker. The broiling is only to crisp up some of the skin.
- Feel free to use any spice mix or any sauce you want for your hot wings!
- Serve this amazing and super tasty Hot Wing recipe with your favorite Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce or Ranch!
Check Out These Easy Recipes From Lemon Blossoms
Don’t Miss: Reheating Tamales In A Crock Pot
Why Cook Chicken In An Instant Pot
- Its fast and easy!
- It keeps chicken moist instead of drying it out because its cooked with liquid .
- Makes meal prep super easy so you can prepare lots of chicken for a week of meals.
- Its a hand-off cooking method, so you dont have to constantly check if its done.
- You can cook frozen chicken fast, no thawing required.
- An easy way to cook chicken to prep for shredding or dicing.
What Substitutions Should I Use To Make A Healthier Asian Sauce
If you are trying to avoid soy for medical reasons or personal reasons, you are definitely not alone. The growing number of individuals with soy allergy is growing like bananas on a tree . Luckily we dont need to worry about it affecting our favorite Asian recipes because coconut aminos will do the job just fine!
Another common ingredient in Asian recipes is brown sugar. In my opinion a lot of times a recipe does not need a sweetener at all but when it does I use either honey or maple syrup.
Also Check: Instant Pot Hot Message
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Which Pressure Cooker Should I Use
You can use any type of Instant Pot or pressure cooker you like for Instant Pot chicken.
I recommend a 6 quart cooker for a family of 4 because you can cook almost anything you need with it.
If you have a larger family or need to cook larger amounts of food, an 8 quart is a great option.
No matter which size cooker you use, the cooking times will remain the same!
How To Make Fresh Chicken Thighs In An Instant Pot
Cooking perfect Instant Pot chicken thighs is a no-brainer. Check out the recipe overview below:
- Trim and Season Chicken: Trim any excess fat and skin from your chicken thighs. Massage the seasoning all over the thighs until they are completely coated.
- Brown the Chicken and Onions: On the sauté setting, brown the outside of the chicken thighs. Remove the chicken. Cut onion into half rings and sauté in the brown bits leftover from browning the chicken.
- Pressure Cook Chicken: Return the chicken to the Instant Pot, nestling the thighs on top of the onions. Seal and cook for 10 minutes on high pressure. Allow the chamber to have a natural release for an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
You May Like: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot
Tips For Making This Recipe Perfectly
- Use homemade buffalo sauce. There is no good reason not to make your own and it takes all of 5 minutes.
- Cut your wings properly using a sharp knife or a pair of good quality kitchen shears. Check out this illustration from Cooks illustrated.
- Its not easy to overcook the wings this way, but it can be done. Therefore, do keep an eye on them as they broil and flip/remove once the skin is sizzling and crispy but not burnt.
- Moisture = not crispy, so follow these 2 key tips:;air dry the wings after steaming in the Instant Pot, and toss in the sauce after the wings have browned under the broiler.
Instant Pot Chicken Wings Dry Rub
Ingredients for the dry rub include :
Find detailed ingredient list and video directions in recipe card below.
Mix the above ingredients and you have your chicken wings dry rub. You can add your favourite spices to the mix.
- Then make the sauce
For chicken wings sauce you can use your favourite sauce, barbeque sauce or buffalo sauce for this recipe. If you choose to use buffalo sauce like i did in this recipe, heres how to make buffalo sauce:
Don’t Miss: How To Make Sushi Rice Instant Pot
Pressure Cooker Buffalo Wings
- 1 1/2Cwater for the pressure cooker pot
- 4lbsfrozen chicken wings
- Pour the water into the pressure cooker pot.
- Place the chicken wings into a 7-inch, oven safe colander or steam rack. *see notes
- Using the trivet, lower the wings into the pressure cooker pot.
- Make sure the wings do not exceed the max fill line on the pot.
- Place the lid on the unit and turn to locked position.
- Turn the steam release valve to sealing.
- Press the manual button and adjust the timer for 15 minutes.
- Once the unit has finished cooking and the timer has counted to zero, carefully release the steam.
- Remove the wings from the pot, using towels and the trivet handles.
- Place the wings on a baking sheet or into a foil pan.
- Crisp the skin up by placing the wings on the highest rack, under the broiler in the oven on high for 3 to 5 minutes, until desired result is achieved.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and hot sauce.
- When the wings are finished crisping up in the oven, toss them in the sauce mixture to coat.
- Serve hot with celery and ranch or blue cheese dip.