How To Make Instant Pot Beans
- Rinse and sort your dried beans–just look over your dried beans to be sure there are no rocks that have snuck in!
- Place 1 pound dried beans with 8 cups water in your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for the directed time.
- Once cook time has released, let the pressure release naturally for at least 20 minutes before trying to do a quick release of pressure.
- Once beans have finished cooking, add in a splash of apple cider vinegar and salt. The salt flavors the beans, the vinegar helps make the beans easier to digest.
- I do like to store cooked beans in a bit of the cooking liquid to keep them moist and tender while they sit in the fridge, this is not necessary, but suggested.
Perfect Instant Pot Pinto Beans
Posted by chelsea | Mar 14, 2018 | Featured, Instant Pot, Recipes, Sides | 8 |
Perfect Instant Pot pinto beans are a snap to make with the Instant Pot! These beans are excellent in tacos, on nachos, in a taco bowl, or anywhere else you would use beans with a Mexican flavor. I love beans, but they used to require quite a bit of time. I would make a big batch and freeze them so that I could have them on hand when wanted, but now I make smaller batches in my Instant Pot because they are so quick and easy to make. A bonus is I have more space in my freezer!
The Instant Pot can make beans from dry to done in about an hour! I still like to soak my beans, however. We in the traditional foods camp, believe in soaking, souring, or sprouting our grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes whenever possible to release their phytates. Phytates are what keep these foods from sprouting too soon, before conditions are just right. These phytates bind up some of the minerals in these nutritious foods, saving them for when the seed needs them. So, to get the most nutrition out of your grains, legumes, seeds, and nuts, you should soak, sprout, or sour them. A very important side benefit of this is that these items are much easier on the digestion. With so many people having digestion issues these days, this is a benefit that shouldnt be ignored.;
Our Instant Pot Pinto Beans Recipe
Making these Instant Pot pinto beans is a breeze! Heres a quick look at just how simple the process is:
Don’t Miss: What To Make In An Instant Pot
Do You Need To Soak Beans Before Pressure Cooking
You dont need to soak beans before cooking them in an Instant Pot. Unsoaked beans will cook evenly and fairly quickly in a pressure cooker. In my experience, unsoaked beans split apart less during pressure cooking. So if you forget to soak your dried beans or you just dont want to soak them, you can still make delicious pinto beans in your Instant Pot.
However, soaking beans for 8 to 12 hours before cooking may make them easier to digest. Soaking helps to remove some of the gas-causing sugars from the beans. Soaked beans will also cook faster.
When I remember to plan ahead, I soak my beans because its hardly any more effort. You can decide what works best for you and your schedule.
Chicken And Turkey In The Instant Pot
Want more ideas for what to cook in your Instant Pot in addition to Pinto Beans? Then be sure to check out the videos in the following sections. In these recipe videos, I share detailed step-by-step instructions to help you successfully make meals with your Instant Pot.
And these instructions have been well tested since they come directly from the manufacturer! Yes, I called Instant Pot and asked their experts the best way to cook a chicken and more in their versatile pressure cooker.
And I didnt forget turkey, especially if you want to make Thanksgiving a breeze. You can also cook up turkey any time of the year to easily add extra white meat for your dinner table. Cooking a turkey breast in the Instant Pot is not just fast, it produces flavorful and tender meat thats never dry!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot
Can I Cook 2 Lbs Of Beans In An Instant Pot
Do you prefer eating a healthy nutritious diet over unhealthy junk food? If you do, then pinto beans must be in the top 10 food items on your list of nutritional foods. But you must be wondering Can I cook 2lbs of beans in an instant pot? Well, sure you can.
It is more of a matter of How to cook 2lbs of beans in instant pot than can. But dont worry, we will help you with your concerns. In this article, you are going to find how can you cook 2lbs of beans in an instant pot. So sit tight and stick with us to the end.
Dried Pinto Beans
Pinto beans are one of those food items that you should definitely add to your routine diet plan. These are very most popular in the United States and eaten by more than half of the US population.
Pinto beans are somewhat beige in color with reddish-brown specks all over them. These are more clearly seen when theyre when dried. After cooking, the color changes into a solid light brown or sometimes pale pink. They have a somewhat nutty flavor. Theyre very easy and simple to prepare. Pinto beans can be eaten regularly as well because they contain a high amount of necessary vitamins.
Cooking 2lbs Of Beans In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot, as we all know, is great kitchen equipment. It helps to reduce cooking time by half or sometimes even more. In the case of Dried pinto beans, instant pots have proven to be great time savers or should I say lifesavers? Nope, Im not exaggerating but honestly speaking from experience.
The Fine Print: Why You Might Still Want To Soak Your Beans
This said, you do make a few concessions when you skip the soak. The biggest one is the beans’ appearance: You tend to get more split skins and “blow-out” beans when they’re not pre-soaked.
For my everyday cooking, I’m fine with beans that are a bit rough around the edges. If you’re preparing a bean dish for your in-laws or the Pope, however, you might want to plan ahead and set aside the time for a long, careful soak.
Secondly, some people feel that soaking their beans helps makes them easier to digest . Personally, I haven’t noticed a huge difference with my own digestion between soaked or un-soaked beans, but if you find soaking helpful in this regard, then by all means carry on.
If you’d like to soak your beans , then go for it! The pressure cooking time is generally about half the time as unsoaked.
Read Also: How Long To Cook Oxtail In Instant Pot
Tips And Suggestions For The Best Instant Pot Pinto Beans
Avoid using older beans: Older dried beans take longer to cook because they lose moisture as they sit. If you do use older beans, it could take much longer to cook.
Check the bulk section: Check to see if there’s a bulk section in your local grocery store where you can pick up the desired amount at a cheaper price.
Skip the salt: for a low-sodium option, omit the salt when cooking and add it when using the beans in other recipes.
Vegetable broth: try using vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor.
Pressure Cooker Pinto Beans Q&a
What if I prefer to soak my beans?
To;soak dry beans,;cover them with water by 2 inches, add 2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt per pound of;beans, and let them;soak;for at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours. Drain them and rinse before using. Then follow recipe, reducing broth to 2 cups, and cook for 6 minutes with a quick release.
How long to pinto beans last?
These beans will keep in an airtight container in your fridge for about 4 days.
Can I freeze pressure cooker pinto beans?
Yes, store cooled beans in zipper bags or an airtight container with an inch of room. ;They will keep in the freezer for 3 months.
- Sub rotel for the green chilis and Roma tomato.
- Try adding cooked bacon.
Don’t Miss: What Is Sous Vide Instant Pot
How Do You Serve Instant Pot Pinto Beans
I could eat these beans in a bowl all on their own , but theyre a healthy and delicious foundation to countless different dishes. Here are some suggestions:;
- Bean bowls: Serve the brothy beans in bowls and garnish with toppings of your choice, such as cheddar cheese, sour cream and scallions
- Tacos & burritos: Layer the beans over tortillas with your favorite fixings
- Grain bowls: Serve the beans in grain bowls with;vegetables and/or meats
- Nachos: Do I even have to say anything else?!
- Refried Beans: Cook the beans in a slick of oil and mash slightly for refried beans
- Soups: Add the beans to your favorite soups, or make a simple soup of beans, broth, garlicky sautéed kale, avocado and fresh lime juice
You can also wrap the beans in enchiladas or quesadillas, or use them in this slow cooker beef chilior this vegetable and quinoa chili.;
Do Pinto Beans Have To Be Soaked Before Cooking
No, you do not have to soak the beans before making them in the Instant Pot. Just make sure to rinse the pinto beans and pick out any pebbles or dirt before starting.;You can place the dried beans in a colander to easily rinse them.
These Instant Pot pinto beans with bacon are a delicious side dish that will turn any main course into a homestyle meal. If youre looking for serving ideas, may we suggest our Pork and Beef Meatloaf, our Sage Brown Butter Skillet Cornbread, or this Sausage and Rice Skillet Dinner?
Pop leftovers into the fridge to enjoy the next day, or divide these up for meal planning throughout the week. This Instant Pot pinto beans recipe makes a dish that is truly versatile, which means a pot of flavorful beans will go with almost any meal!
Read Also: Which Instant Pot To Buy
Healthy Pinto Beans Recipe
I now make a batch of beans every week or two, and I always have beans in the freezer as well. Not only are they incredibly delicious , but more and more research points to the incredible health benefits of beans. In fact, beans are a cornerstone of every blue zone diet . In blue zones, people apparently eatfour times more beans than Americans. They’re high in soluble fiber and protein, and let’s not forget that making beans from scratch is a HUGE cost saver.;
How To Cook Pinto Beans With The Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is by far the easiest way to cook any type of beans, and pintos are no exception. In about an hour, you can transform unsoaked beans into a wow-worthy dish.
Don’t Miss: How To Pressure Cook In Instant Pot
Health Benefits Of Beans
Beans have a variety of health benefits, including:
- Excellent source of plant-based protein: Beans are a great way to get protein, especially for vegans, vegetarians, and people looking for protein sources not from animals.
- Full of antioxidants: Antioxidants fight free radicals, which are chemicals that can cause various diseases.
- Good for heart health: Beans lower cholesterol, which can be a cause of heart disease.
- High in fiber: High fiber diets may help lower glucose levels in people with diabetes, as well creating a feeling of fullness and aiding in weight loss.
As always, if you’re following any diet for medical reasons, do check with your physician first.
How Do You Make Beans In The Instant Pot
- Rinse and drain the beans. You have the option of soaking the beans overnight, which will cut the cooking time in half .
- Put the beans in your multi-cooker with the garlic, shallot, bay leaf and bacon .
- Pour in 6 cups of water, and season the beans with a teaspoon of fine sea salt .
- Cook on high pressure until the beans are tender, then add a splash of apple cider vinegar, which will brighten up the flavors. Season with more salt to taste.
Don’t Miss: How To Slow Cook In The Instant Pot
How Do You Cook Dried Beans In An Instant Pot
You can cook any type of dried beans in your Instant Pot pressure cooker. Water and beans are all you need, seasoning is optional. Check the cookbook that comes with your Instant Pot for guidelines on how long to cook each type of bean. Easy, easy, easy! I love to make Black Bean Soup in my Instant Pot.;
By Step Instructions For Instant Pot Beans
- Rinse beans well: Rinse your beans over cool water in a strainer, removing any particles or pebbles.
- Add beans and water: Add beans and water to the Instant Pot, as well as any seasonings or additional vegetables.
- Set cooking time: Close the lid on sealing position.;Using the above cheat-sheet, set the cooking time on High Pressure.
- Let Instant Pot naturally release: Allow the pressure cooker to natural pressure release . Open the lid once the pin drops.
Read Also: Are Instant Pot Lids Dishwasher Safe
How Long To Cook Pinto Beans In An Instant Pot
If you soak your beans, the cook time will be shorter. You can add a few minutes to the cook time for softer beans, or subtract a few minutes for firmer beans. The pressure cooking time can vary with the age of the beans and between different brands. The cook times below are what works for me in my Instant Pot.
How To Use And Store Beans
One 15-ounce can of beans holds about 1 3/4 cups cooked beans, so substitute accordingly in your recipes. For reference, one pound of dried beans makes about five cups of cooked beans.
Let beans cool completely, then store in their liquid in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Beans also freeze beautifully. I usually freeze them in their liquid in ziplock bags , which take up less space in the freezer and thaw more quickly. Freeze for up to three months.
Also Check: How Long To Hard Boil Eggs In Instant Pot
How To Flavor Beans
Instead of just cooking dried beans in water alone, I like to add a little flavor to my beans. This step of course is optional but highly encouraged.
- Along with beans and water, add a half an onion and bay leaf.
- You will want to add salt or homemade taco seasoning AFTER your beans have been cooked. Adding salt BEFORE cooking dried beans can make it harder for your beans to break down and soften properly.
How Do I Know How Much Dried Beans To Cook For A Recipe
- First of all, let me start by saying that one pound of dried beans is equivalent to about 2 cups of measured dried beans. Therefore, if you don’t have a one-pound bag of dried beans, just measure out 2 cups of beans for this recipe.
- Dried beans will triple in quantity when cooked. So for 1 pound, or 2 cups, of dried beans, you will have 6 cups cooked beans.
- Most recipes call for 15 ounce cans of beans. This is about 2 cups COOKED beans.
- Therefore this recipe for dried beans makes 6 cups cooked beans;or the equivalent to 3 cans of beans.
Recommended Reading: Is Instant Pot Lid Dishwasher Safe
Directions For Perfect Instant Pot Pinto Beans :