Continuing To Cook The Ribs Using The Smoker And The Oven
- Smoke flavor is something many people want to have present in their barbeque, and if you are one of them, you can take the pre-cooked meat and place them inside a smoker. What you can do at this point is to put the ribs in a smoker and then finish them off in the oven. Smoke the ribs for 3 hours, but because you have already pre-cooked them, you can cut down on that time.
- When you are finishing the ribs in the oven, dont let them stay in there for too long as well. At this point, you only want to create that crust on your meat because the ribs are probably cooked. Just make sure to keep a close eye on your ribs here because the risk of overcooking them is quite high.
Best Way To Reheat Different Styles/cuts Of Ribs
Depending on what kind of ribs you cooked the night before, youll want to consider a few things when reheating ribs. For example, different kinds of ribs have different textures and moisture levels.
Each method used to reheat ribs listed above adds a certain level of moisture back into your ribs.
Use the wrong one and you might find your ribs are too soggy or too crunchy; too watered-down or too dry.
So heres some advice for reheating ribs of different varieties and cuts.
What Kind Of Pork Ribs To Buy
Although this quick and easy recipe calls for baby back ribs, you can use other type of pork ribs like spareribs St. Louis style ribs, country style ribs or pork loin ribs. Pick your favorite type of ribs and go with it!
- Baby Back Ribs: Also known as loin ribs, loin back ribs and back ribs. Baby back ribs are called baby because they are shorter than other types of ribs. They are the leanest and most tender of all the ribs.
- Spare Ribs: Also known as side ribs. Due to marbling these ribs are succulent and have a richer, meatier flavor. They usually have more meant between bones than on the top.
- St. Louis Style Ribs: Also known as Kansas city cut. These ribs are the same as spare ribs but with the tips cut off which makes them a bit shorter than spare ribs.
Read Also: How To Cook Brown Rice In Instant Pot
Best Way To Reheat Ribs
Now that weve covered the basics of storing your soon-to-be-reheated ribs, whats actually the best way to reheat ribs after theyve been in the refrigerator?
The truth is: there are lots of good ways to reheat ribs.
Each option has its pros and cons and depends a lot on how much time or patience you have, what resources you have available, and personal preference.
The most important thing to remember is this: there are a lot more ways to reheat food than by popping it in the microwave . So before you reach for the microwave door, consider trying one of the options found below.
How Do You Steam Ribs In An Instant Pot
The method of steaming in the instant pot is where you use the trivet to place the food. Then because the food is raised on the trivet and not in the water the food will steam.
You can also use a steamer basket too if you prefer.
How we steam ribs is by using a trivet and then loading foil packets of frozen BBQ spare ribs over it.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot Duo
Do I Have To Marinate The Ribs
Yes, most definitely! A dry rub and a marinade essentially do the same thing: break down the meat and tenderize.;Dry rubs are strictly dry seasonings rubbed into the meat, whereas marinades include soaking the meat in a liquid.
If you dont let the Instant Pot ribs marinate in the dry rub, they wont be as flavorful and tender.
Instant Pot Frozen Ribs
Instant Pot Frozen Ribs. How to instant pot frozen ribs for beginners. Easy step by step guide to instant pot frozen BBQ spare ribs including cook time, how to go washing up free and why this dump and start instant pot recipe is ideal for lazy instant pot dinners.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Is It Better To Slow Cook Or Pressure Cook
One isnt necessarily better than the other. Both slow cook and pressure cook have their own advantages and disadvantages.
What I love with slow cooking is you can leave it for long periods without worrying. I have left food slow cooking overnight so that when I wake up, the food is ready.
What I love with pressure cooking is it saves so much time! And with the Instant Pot, you can do multiple things on the same pot like sautéing before or air frying after on top of pressure cooking.
Easy Instant Pot Bbq Ribs
cook time:25 minutes
total time:45 minutes
The easiest and quickest BBQ ribs made right in your pressure cooker! So saucy, sticky, and tender, it just falls off-the-bone!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs,;trimmed of excess fat, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Chicken Tenders In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Ribs Recipe Tips
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke to the cooking liquid to add a light smoky taste.
- You dont have to broil the ribs. If you prefer simply slather the BBQ sauce and serve however, broiling the ribs adds lots of flavor and a nice caramelization to the ribs.
- Feel free to double this rib recipe! You wont need to double the cooking liquid, just the spices and the homemade BBQ sauce. Pressure cook the ribs for an additional 8 minutes.
- I always find amazing baby back ribs at Costco. They are super meaty and priced just right!
Take a Look At These Other Easy Pressure Cooker Recipes:
How To Get Some Crispy Bits On Your Ribs
While the ribs will be very tender when they come out of the pressure cooker, they will be missing that caramelized top texture that comes after a lot of time on the grill or smoker. You can get some of that back by basting the ribs with barbecue sauce and then broiling them under high heat for five minutes.
You could also toss them on a hot grill until the sauce has caramelized on the ribs.
Read Also: How To Cook Black Beans In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Beef Ribs Vs Baby Back Ribs
To start off, beef ribs as the name states, are from a cow. These ribs are typically the ribs that come from a rib roast. These are the ribs labeled beef ribs in the grocery store. When you have a boneless ribeye, these are the bones that have been removed.
Baby back ribs are pork and are from a pig, not a cow. These ribs tend to cook much quicker and are smaller than the beef ribs. If you love baby back ribs, check out my post where I teach you how to Instant Pot baby back ribs.;
What Is An Instant Pot Natural Release
Doing a natural pressure release means that you just leave the Instant Pot alone after the cook time ends. Dont turn it off, dont move the steam valve, just let it sit there.
You want to allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure when you are cooking ribs because a quick release can make the meat tough. A natural pressure release gives you tender pork ribs.
Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure, if youre cooking baby back ribs. For spare ribs allow for a full natural release, until the Instant Pot pin drops down.
Read Also: How Long To Cook Potatoes In Instant Pot
How Long Do You Pressure Cook Ribs
With these beef ribs. I like to cook them for 22-25 minutes in the Instant Pot. You can do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes or you can let it fully depressurize by itself. I havent seen much of a difference in the texture/tenderness of the beef ribs.
Now pork ribs take less time to cook in the instant pot than beef ribs do. Pork ribs tend to only take around 18 minutes to cook in a pressure cooker. I once tried to cook them for the 22 minutes like the beef ribs and it was a disaster.
It basically turned into pulled pork because they were so tender they were falling apart when I tried to recipe the pork ribs from the instant pot.
How To Cook Short Ribs
Lets get to the best beef short ribs recipe, Im getting hungry!
First, well season the meat with salt and pepper. This step helps to build flavor throughout the cooking process. Dont skimp, you need a generous amount!
Next, were going to sear the short ribs and get a nice crust on them well do this right in the Instant Pot using the Saute setting. Be sure to do this in batches. We dont want to crowd the pan too much or they will steam instead of brown.
After cooking short ribs on the outside to get a brown crust, remove them and saute the garlic with some oil in the Instant Pot for just a minute.
TIP: This is a basic 5-ingredient beef short ribs recipe thats the point. You can definitely up the flavor by adding some sauteed onion before adding the garlic, or adding fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary.
Add some beef broth and coconut aminos to the pressure cooker, and use a spoon to de-glaze the pan. This means getting all the yummy browned bits off the bottom! Place the short ribs back in there, along with a bay leaf.
Then, well let the pressure cooker do its magic. For boneless Instant Pot short ribs, set the time to 40 minutes, or increase to 50 minutes for bone-in pressure cooker short ribs.
After the instant pot short ribs are done, let the natural release do its thing for 10 minutes before switching to manual release.
TIP: You need the natural release, because this helps the beef short ribs finish cooking and helps them come out tender.
Recommended Reading: Does Walmart Sell Instant Pot
Tips For Making Instant Pot Pork Ribs
If making the homemade rub isnt in the cards for you, the Kroger Private Selection Texas Barbecue Seasoning Rub works wonders too.
When removing the cooked bbq ribs from the Instant Pot, be sure to grab hold by the meat as they will be so tender they might literally fall off the bone.
I recommend serving these pressure cooker pork ribs with additional bbq sauce for dipping. More sauce is always a good idea!
How Long To Cook Ribs In Instant Pot
Fresh pork ribs take between 22 25 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. Time varies depending on the type of ribs you are cooking. Extra meaty ribs take about 25 minutes. To cook frozen ribs in the pressure cooker, add about 5 7 minutes of high pressure cooking time.
- Baby Back Ribs: To cook baby back ribs in the instant pot , cook on high pressure for 23 -25 minutes + 5 minutes of natural pressure release .
- Spare Ribs: To cook spare ribs in the instant pot , cook on high pressure 30-35 minutes + 20 minutes of natural release. Do not skip the natural pressure release . This is an important step that will guarantee tenderness.
- St. Louis Style Ribs: To cook St. Louis style ribs in the instant pot , cook on high pressure 30-35 minutes + 20 minutes of natural release. Do not skip the natural pressure release .
If you live in high altitude, choose the higher number so you cook the ribs a bit longer. For lower altitude simple chose the lower cooking time.
What Kind Of Spices Or Dry rub Mix To Use For Ribs?
I provide a simple and tasty spice mix for this insta pot recipe, however you can use your favorite pork rib seasoning.
What Size Instant Pot Do I Need To Cook Ribs?
You can cook these barbecue pork ribs in a 6 Qt pressure cooker or in a larger 8 Qt or 10 Qt pressure cooker.
Can I Double this Instapot Ribs Recipe?
Recommended Reading: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How Do You Remove The Membrane From The Ribs
Depending on the type of ribs you bought, they may or may not come with a fatty membrane attached to them. To some people this may freak them out, and those of us high fat loving people just start to drool. If you want to remove the membrane from the ribs, first you need to
Cooking Frozen Ribs In Instant Pot
There are many different ways to cook frozen ribs in the instant pot. You are probably most familiar with ribs stood up in the instant pot pressure cooker.
This is often done just so that the large ribs will fit.
But with frozen BBQ spare ribs they are much smaller and donât need to be cooked like this. Instead we are going to seal them in foil packets.
This will perfectly cook them, and you will have individual portions of spare ribs to eat.
This is also fantastic if you are taking your instant pot travelling with you and works very well for camping.
Your pork ribs will also be perfectly tender thanks to the way the instant pot steams the ribs.
Don’t Miss: What To Cook In Instant Pot
Prepare & Season Baby Back Ribs
First, remove the membrane from the back of the ribs with a paper towel.;
How to Remove the Membrane from Baby Back Ribs:;
- Locate the membrane on either;end of the rack .
- Slide a butter knife in between the membrane;and;bones .
- Pull the membrane and tear it off with a paper towel .
Then, season the Baby Back Ribs with a generous amount of kosher salt and ground black pepper.
Best Way To Reheat Beef Ribs
One of the most common ribs to cook on the grill would be your traditional beef ribs.
The best way to reheat beef ribs is most likely going to occur back on your grill or in the oven.
Why? Because beef ribs will benefit from a lot of contained moisture. This can be more difficult to achieve using methods such as steaming or microwaving.
When reheating beef ribs, use the following method :
- Preheat your oven or grill to 250° F .
- While the oven/grill is preheating, wrap your beef ribs in foil. Leave an inch or two around the ribs so the moisture can circulate while they reheat.
- Place the wrapped ribs on a cookie sheet or other large pan.
- Add the liquid by opening one end or the top of the foil wrapping and adding around ¼ cup of apple juice, beef broth, or water to the package.
- Once the oven/grill reaches 250° F, youre ready to go. Throw the rib packet into the heat.
- After about 35 minutes (or when the ribs reach over 165° F, youre ready to eat!
How To Caramelize Instant Pot Bbq Ribs
Optionally, you can caramelize the BBQ baby back ribs. I always like to caramelize it after so the BBQ sauce sticks to the meat and the crusts of the meat browns and crisps a little as well.
Here are some options that doesnt require a grill!
Option 1: Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid / Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer
If youre using the Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid, just put the coated ribs back in the inner pot and put the air fryer lid on top. Run Air Fry for 10 minutes at 400F.
Travelling Foodie Tip: It is preferred to have the inner pot drained of liquids and dried before placing the ribs back for air frying. BUT I also tried just air frying without doing this and didnt find a big noticeable difference in quality so it really depends if you want to do the extra cleaning step, which I dont.
Option 2: Broil in the Oven
Place the pork ribs on a tray lined with aluminum foil and broil for 6-8 minutes in a pre-heated oven.
Option 3: Air Fryer
Make The Sauce: Optional
Let me say this: you can totally use your favorite brand of barbecue sauce in this recipe. But since ribs are a special occasion meal, I like to make my own for a simple reason: I like how it tastes. Theres just something about the combo of sauteed onions, ketchup, molasses, and a little apple cider vinegar that I adore. My not-to-sweet barbecue sauce takes about 20 minutes to make. And most of that is unattended cooking time.;
Cooking Ribs Directly In Liquid Vs On A Rack In Instant Pot
When cooking ribs in Instant Pot, some of the meat flavors will transfer to the cooking liquid. Its great to put the ribs directly in the cooking liquid if youre simultaneously making the ribs sauce in the Instant Pot. This way, all the flavors that have escaped to the liquid will be brushed back on the ribs.
However, if youre discarding the cooking liquid afterward or youre using a premade/store-bought BBQ sauce, you can put the ribs on a rack in Instant Pot to preserve the meat flavors.