How To Serve Instant Pot Broccoli
- Drizzled with Browned Butter, salt, and Mizithra cheese
- Read THIS post to learn how to make browned butter
- Mizithra cheese can be found at most grocery stores with a gourmet cheese section. I find mine at Smiths or Harmons
What If My Broccoli Is Still Hard Or Unevenly Cooked
- Cut your pieces into smaller, more uniform pieces next time.
- If your broccoli is still not quite tender enough, replace the lid on the Instant Pot for 2-3 minutes. You can shake up the broccoli in the basket . The residual heat and steam will continue to cook the broccoli with the Instant Pot on KEEP WARM mode
- Check the broccoli after a couple of minutes until you get the texture youre looking for.
- DO NOT PRESSURE COOK AGAIN.
What To Keep In Mind When Steaming Vegetables In The Instant Pot
- Most vegetables should be sliced into relatively large chunks otherwise, they might overcook. The exceptions are dense vegetables such as carrots and sweet potatoes. Slice dense vegetables into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Fill up the Instant Pot to at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the capacity. Otherwise, it will come to pressure too quickly, and the vegetables wont cook through.
- Do a Quick Release as soon as the Instant Pot finishes cooking otherwise, the vegetables will overcook.
- If you open the lid and the vegetables are still undercooked, close the lid, and the residual heat will steam the vegetables some more.
Read Also: Deodorize Instant Pot
Whats The Best Method For Mashing Potatoes
In many years of mashing potatoes, Ive found that three methods produce good results. Depending on the texture you prefer, heres how to do it.
- Potato Ricer This tool turns the potatoes into very fine rice-shaped tubes that stay light and fluffy and insures there are no lumps. Minimal handling of the potatoes is what gives you the lightest, fluffiest texture, and a potato ricer will get you there.
- Potato Masher For mashed potatoes that are rustic, fluffy, and classic, a potato masher is the best tool. Its more difficult to eliminate all lumps with a masher than with a ricer , but a potato masher is great for weeknights and means youll have very few dishes to clean up.
- Stand Mixer For smooth, whipped potatoes, use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Youll have to beat the potatoes for a minute or two to get a creamy result, so the potatoes are more thick and less light and fluffy than the other methods.
Instant Pot Frozen Cauliflower
Instant Pot Frozen Caulifloweris fantastic for cooking from frozen under pressure. It saves looking for freshcauliflower and chopping it up and is perfect for using in a lot of differentdishes.
If you follow Paleo, or similar diets then it is perfect foryou, as how often do you see a recipe that uses cauliflower to make somethingunusual.
One evening I was making Pressure Cooker Corn Chowder, was out of potatoes and subbed the potatoes for frozen cauliflower.
It was delicious and made me realise what a good backup frozen cauliflower is.
How To Cook Frozen Cauliflower In The Instant Pot? We cooked half a bag of frozen cauliflower in the Instant Pot.
The cooking time and method is the same for doing frozen cauliflower as it is frozen broccoli.
You simply, place a cup of water into the bottom of the Instant Pot, add your trivet and add your steamer basket that is loaded up with frozen cauliflower.
Set the Instant Pot to 0 minutes on the steam setting and let the Instant Pot do its magic.RecipeThis.com Opinion: Cauliflower is the BEST for last minute cooking plans.
It can be used in so many dishes and it allows you to be a lazy cook. I love how flavoursome it is for a frozen vegetable.
Also Check: How To Cook Sirloin Tip Roast In Instant Pot
For Whole Spaghetti Squash:
- Start by cutting the squash in half. My personal preference is to slice the spaghetti squash crosswise rather than lengthwise because it produces longer strands that better resemble spaghetti. Youve gotta get a good twirl on your fork! They also soak up sauce better this way. Then, remove the seeds.
- Place a steamer basket or trivet in the pot along with one cup of water.
- Place the squash halves into the basket or trivet and seal the lid.
- Set the pressure cooker to cook on high for 7 minutes and follow up with a quick release. You can do a natural pressure release for a few minutes if you prefer your pasta well done. A quick-release will give you al dente results.
Instant Pot Steamed Cauliflower
We love steamed cauliflower, its our 2nd favorite way to enjoy it in this house. The first way is oven roasting with chicken broth .
But this steamed cauliflower recipe is sooooo much faster than all of that! And it keeps the oven free for the main dish while it steams in the Instant Pot on the counter. Win-Win.
Read Also: Tamale Recipe Instant Pot
Read Also: Can You Cook Steak In An Instant Pot
How Long Does It Take To Steam Veggies In Instant Pot
Vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage need just 0 minutes to steam in the instant pot. Hard and root vegetables like potato, carrot, radish need more time.
I use 4 minutes as the standard time to cook any Instant pot steamed vegetables and see if its cooked properly based on that I will decide if I need to increase the time or not.
A Perfect Fast And Healthy Side To Any Meal
So if youre looking for a healthy side for your entrée, then look no further than steamed cauliflower. In my opinion, it tastes delicious by itself, but you may want to add salt, pepper, garlic, butter, or whatever suits your fancy! Either way, its a perfect addition to any meal!
Most of the time we eat our cauliflower plain. Once in a while though, when we want to indulge, we make this amazing loaded mashed cauliflower. Its definitely a treat!
Cauliflower is a common side dish at our house, and now that we make it in the Instant Pot, its so much easier and faster to get it on the table.
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Prep Tools & Utensils
These are the items youll need to prep and make this recipe:
- For this recipe, you wont need much. You will need a small liquid measuring cup and a good knife to cut the head of cauliflower into florets.
- You will also need a steamer basket and a pair of mitts when lifting the basket out of the hot pot.
Appliances & Cookware
Serving Platters & Dishes
Ill usually use a salad bowl similar to this beautiful salad bowl when serving my cauliflower.
Instant Pot Accessories
Make sure to check out my post on Must-Have Accessories for the Instant Pot. Youll find a complete list of all the top accessories that can be used with your Instant Pot.
Recommended Reading: Sirloin Tip Steak In Instant Pot
Which Potatoes Are Best In The Instant Pot
For this recipe, you can use any kind of potato, like Yukon Gold, red, or russet potatoes. Cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks, and theyre ready in under 15 minutes Take em out right when the timer goes off so they dont overcook, then use them however you like!
As is, they can be folded into a potato salad . For breakfast, I toss them into a skillet to make a quick hash with onions and peppers, or I brown them in the pan alongside sunny side up eggs.
For dinner, I mash them right in the hot pot after theyre done steaming to make easy mashed potatoes, or toss them in the oven to roast until crispy, as pictured here.
How Do You Make Cauliflower Rice
You can either make cauliflower rice in food processor, box grater or in instant pot. Cut open a cauliflower head and cut small florets. Process in a food processor for 1 minute or more till the mixture looks like rice grains. Squeeze out excess moisture and use the riced cauliflower as it is, cook or steam or use it in different recipes.
Also Check: Defrosting Tamales
Recipes Using Steamed Cauliflower
Steamed cauliflower can be eaten as is with just a little sea salt and maybe a drizzle of olive oil. But cooking this vegetable in this way is also ideal when adding a flavorful sauce or incorporating in recipes calling for cooked cauliflower. Consider adding a store-bought or homemade pesto to steamed cauliflower, or coating the tender white vegetable with a rich cheese sauce. Steaming cauliflower is the first step in recipes such as creamed cauliflower, cauliflower and cheese casserole, and cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Instant Pot Zero Minute Vegetables
Steaming vegetables in the Instant Pot is so easy and some vegetables only require a ZERO minute pressure cooking time! Some great zero minute vegetables to steam in the Instant Pot are: cauliflower florets, broccoli florets, frozen corn, asparagus, zucchini slices and green beans. Are there any other zero minute vegetables that I missed? Leave me a comment if you know of one!
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Can I Cook Instant Pot Frozen Vegetables Without A Basket
Yes you can. You can you the trivet to stack your vegetables on or use any pot in pot that has holes in it. That is because the holes are how your food steams properly in the instant pot.
When we first got the instant pot, we didnt have a steamer basket and used a very old one from an old soup machine. But any will do.
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Check Out Our Most Popular Cooking Book
Our most popular cookbook Dinner Made Easy is all about quick, easy, and delicious family dinner entrees. We did all the organization, all the taste-testing with picky kids, and all the hacks to cut the prep time so that you can focus on spending more time with your family.
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
The complete family meal game plan in this cookbook is arranged in seven popular categories:
30 Minutes or Less including recipes for: Skillet Pork Lo Mein, Parmesan Pork Chops, and Ham and Pineapple Pizza Roll-ups.
5 Ingredients or Less including recipes for: Easy Gnocchi Casserole, Sweet and Tangy Meatballs, and Baked Sloppy Joes.
Pantry Essentials including recipes for: Seven-Can Tortilla Soup, Crispy Coconut Strips with Pina Colada Dipping Sauce and French Dip Crescents.
Slow Cooker including recipes for: Honey Garlic Chicken, Tuscan Soup, and Mongolian Beef.
Freezer Meals including recipes for: Kung Pao Chicken, Country-Style BBQ Spareribs, and Beef and Mushrooms.
One Pan, One Pot including recipes for: One-Dish Baked Fajitas, Sunrise Skillet, and Mushroom Asparagus Chicken Stir Fry.
Casseroles including recipes for: Cheesy Chicken Quinoa Casserole, Country Breakfast Casserole, and John Wayne Casserole.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Donât Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Pork Steak In An Instant Pot
Easy Instant Pot Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure for more information. Published: Sep 19, 2018
This recipe for Instant Pot potatoes is one of the easiest Instant Pot recipes youll ever make. Theres virtually no prep work, and you get fork-tender, perfectly cooked potatoes every time!
Ive been making these baby potatoes in my Instant Pot for quite a while. Its one of my familys favorite side dishes, besides Instant Pot jasmine rice, and these gorgeous little spuds are on the menu frequently.
I used to bake baby potatoes in the oven or use them with sheet pan dinners. But, after making them in the Instant Pot, I wont make them any other way! If youre looking for a quick and easy side dish, this recipe is definitely for you!
My Top Ten Instant Pot Vegetables
Flavouring my vegetables always adds to the taste and makes them much better for the family, especially my daughter!
Here are my favourite ten vegetables to cook in the Instant pot and the cooking times it takes when cooked from fresh.
- Broccoli Fresh 1-2 minutes
- Butternut Squash Fresh 4-6 minutes
- Sweet Potato Fresh 2-4 minutes
- Cabbage Fresh 2-3 minutes
I recently made an Instant Pot vegetables cheat sheet which has a more detailed list of fresh and frozen vegetables and the ideal times for steaming. Its a free download which is really quite handy!
Recommended Reading: How To Reheat Tamales In Instant Pot
How Long Does It Take To Steam Vegetables In A Pressure Cooker
Add veggies, then place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 0 minutes. Yes, zero minutes is all thats needed to steam! The Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, then notify you its done by beeping.
Donât Miss: Steel Cut Oats Water Ratio
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Pod Peas:
- Wash and prepare your peas for cooking.
- Add the trivet or steamer basket to the inner pot with around a cup of water to steam with.
- For fresh: Add your peas to the basket and cook on high for 0 minutes.
- For frozen: Add your peas to the basket and cook on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Follow up with a quick release and enjoy.
Recommended Reading: Steaming Tamales In Ninja Foodi
Using It As An Extra Burner
Multicookers are equipped with a saute or sear function, meaning you can use them as you would a pot or skillet on a traditional stovetop. That can come in handy when your cooktop is full , or you cant or wont turn it on. Be sure to take into account that the pan surface area is likely to be smaller than some of your pots or skillets and that multicookers can run hot, meaning you should pay attention to and adjust the heat as needed. If something starts to burn, you may be treated to an alarm and automatic shut-off.
If you think youll be trying recipes that need to be cooked with a lid on or ajar, consider purchasing a glass lid to fit your multicooker or repurposing one you already have that matches the size. That will help you monitor your food and allow for better escape of steam.
How To Cook Baby Potatoes In Instant Pot
Cooking Baby Potatoes in Instant Pot is like 1-2-3. Yes, it is that easy. And this is how you do it.
- Wash the baby potatoes thoroughly and remove any dirt on top. Place these babies inside the steamer basket.
- Take your IP and place the inner pot inside. Plug it in.
- Pour 1 cup of water inside the inner pot. If you are using the steamer that I have used, then place the short trivet inside. And if you are using the steamer basket that already has the legs, then skip the trivet.
- Place the steamer basket inside the inner pot. Close the lid and set the valve to SEALING.
- Press the Manual/Pressure Cooker Mode and set it on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- As the timer goes off, follow NPR .
- Once the safety valve drops down, open the lid and take the steamer basket out.
What I like about this method is that the potatoes get steamed and still are not drenched in the water. Easier to peel or season right away.
Also Check: Ninja Air Fryer Tuna Steak
Kale & Other Sturdy Leafy Greens
Kale is the ultimate superfood. You just feel healthy when you eat kale. Its a fact of life. Its actually quite tasty. Most greens are jam-packed with micronutrients that our bodies love. These micronutrients help us stay healthy and avoid deficiency. They also provide antioxidants and help us to naturally detox and fight off oxidative damage. We all know we need to eat our greens. Let the Instant Pot make it easier.
Creative Ways To Serve Steamed Vegetables
Now that youve mastered the technique, maybe youre looking for a way to entice your family to add a few more steamed veggies to their plates. Check out these great ideas.
- Baked potato bar steamed broccoli is a great topping, but get creative!
- Whip up a veggie-filled pasta salad.
- Use steamed vegetables as a fresh addition to previously frozen or meal prepped soups like this Keto Chicken Curry.
- Explore some Asian cooking techniques stir fry night or make your own hibachi, anyone?
Also Check: Instant Pot Shows Burn
Instant Pot Perfectly Steamed Vegetables Recipe
I have to admit, veggies are not always my favorite thing to grab and eat out of the fridge. But, if you steam and season them properly, thats a different story!
This recipe makes it so simple to just cut up the veggies and let the Instant Pot do its thing! This Instant Pot recipe is also perfect for beginners or the perfect addition to any family dinner recipe.
Its also very healthy for those looking to keep on track! All fresh veggies and some seasoning and you have a tasty side dish ready in minutes.
Since this is a side dish, let me suggest a few recipes that it would go great with! You will definitely need to check out our fall of the bone BBQ ribs recipe, or our cheddar baked chicken, and for sure our crispy honey mustard chicken since you can even dip the veggies in the honey mustard!