Your Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Is All Set
Now, your instant pot shredded chicken is ready to be served. The choice is yours you could either serve it right away or wait until it cools down and refrigerate it.
Just a tip, if you choose to refrigerate it, make sure to keep it in an airtight container. That way, your shredded chicken will be preserved for up to 5 days. Also, if you know you wont be needing it soon, you could keep it as chicken stock in the freezer for up to three months.
If you serve it, dont forget to add some barbecue sauce some things make all the difference!
How Long To Pressure Cook Chicken Breast By Weight
Its easy to scale the pressure cooker shredded chicken breast recipe. You can change the number of servings on the recipe card as follows:
- 1 lb chicken enter 5 servings
- 2 lb chicken enter 10 servings
- 3 lb chicken enter 15 servings
- 4 lb chicken enter 20 servings
- 5 lb chicken enter 25 servings
This will scale the amount of all the ingredients you need. Basically, 1 pound of chicken will yield about 2 1/2 cup shredded chicken, or 5 1/2-cup servings.
Just one caveat do not adjust the amount of broth. You always need about 1 cup of chicken broth for this pressure cooker chicken recipe, whether youre making one pound, five pounds, or anything in between.
Im really excited to have this chart for Instant Pot chicken breast, and I hope you are, too. Its going to be so convenient to be able to make just the right amount of pressure cooker chicken. Yay!
What About Using Frozen Chicken
Im so glad you asked! Ever find yourself at 6pm staring into your refrigerator and freezer and wondering: What can I cook for dinner, and quick? Im pretty sure weve all been there, and its no fun. But on those nights, our Instant Pot has become our best friend, for being able to whip up a quick and delicious dinner.
Something magical happens when the frozen chicken breast is cooked in the Instant Pot because it comes out as the most tender, juicy, and flavorful chicken weve ever had. And now that we know that, there is no going back. Read all about cooking frozen chicken in your Instant Pot. Weve done extensive testing on this one!
You May Like: How To Reheat Soup In Instant Pot
Ingredients For Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
To make instant pot shredded chicken youll need:
It came out so good on the first try, that I wound up making it almost every week to use in different recipes. It goes with/in anything! Plus, it literally takes under 20 minutes, and makes the most perfect, juicy shredded chicken. You gotta try it!
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tamales In The Instant Pot
Substitutions For This Shredded Chicken Recipe:
This shredded chicken recipe is pretty versatile here are some of the ways you can customize it.
Broth You can use any kind of broth in this recipe or you can just use water.
Salt/Pepper You dont have to add salt/pepper to this. You can leave the chicken plain and season as you eat, or you can add other spices to it! We have done this with Italian seasoning and it was delicious!
Meat Chicken breasts, thighs, or tenders will all work in this recipe!
2 lbs Increase your cook time by 1 minutes. For 3 lbs, increase your cook time by 2 minutes
Seasoning You can use any seasonings on this. We like to use our Healthy Taco Seasoning on it, but any spice mix will do!
Tomatoes I like to add 1/4 salsa or crushed tomatoes to the pot for flavor.
You May Like: How To Seal Instant Pot Duo Nova
Meal Prep Tools For This Recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this chicken into your weekly lunches.
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through before shredding
- Use these Ziploc bag holders if youre freezing the chicken in freezer bags
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls with lids up to 3 months
Frozen Or Fresh Chicken
You can cook fresh or frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot for this Instant Pot shredded chicken! Believe it or not, chicken breasts turn out the same whether you pull them right out of the freezer or fresh chicken breasts.
The only difference is how you cook it and what your cook time is. Why would you ever use frozen chicken breast in the Instant Pot? Think of those nights when you get home and realize you havent planned dinner!
- For frozen chicken breasts: cook on high pressure for 18-20 minutes. While the frozen chicken breast is cooking, you prepare a side and a sauce for your chicken and BOOM. 18 minutes later your chicken is ready to be chunked or shredded!
- For fresh chicken breasts: cook on high pressure for 8 minutes before shredding.
Also Check: Instant Pot Rice Burn
Pulled Chicken Instant Pot Faqs
How long do I cook chicken in an instant pot?
You can cook 1 lb of chicken int he instant pot for 14 minute son high pressure. If the chicken is frozen I do 18 minutes on high pressure. For each pound of chicken, I increase cook time by 1-2 minutes.
Can you overcook chicken in an instant pot?
Typically its very easy to over cook chicken, but in the instant pot it is difficult to do. Pressure cooking really locks in the flavor and moisture of chicken. I wouldnt cook 1 lb of chicken past 20 minutes in the pressure cooker, but if you do, it probably wont even be over cooked!
Why is my chicken dry in an instant pot?
If your instant pot chicken is dry, you may have over cooked it. Dont worry you can fix this! Stir your cooked chicken with 1/2 cup of chicken broth and store it with excess broth. The chicken will absorb the liquid and get a moist texture. Next time, try cooking your chicken for 14 minutes on high pressure.
What Can I Make With Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot shredded chicken is so versatile, and can be used in so many different recipes. Thats why I like making a batch of it when meal prepping, so I can use it in any dinners I might want for the week.
Here are some of my favorite shredded chicken recipes.
And check this guide for even more ways to use shredded chicken!
Also Check: How To Reheat Ribs In Instant Pot
Pressure Cook At High Pressure 0 Minute
Yes! You can pressure cook at 0 minute! How can that be?!
Were setting the pressure cooking time to 0 minute because were using the heat generated during the building pressure stage AND the depressurizing stage to cook the whole chicken.
Ensure to measure your chickens internal temperature with a Food Thermometer, and the chicken breasts internal thickest part reaches at least 165°F after resting.
Ways To Use Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Casseroles. Chicken and Biscuits and Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole are classic, comforting, and forever scrumptious. For a different spin, try this Cheesy Corn Quinoa Casserole.
- Spaghetti Squash Boats with Chicken. A low-carb option thats to-die-for no matter what diet you do follow.
- Chicken Tacos, Chicken Tostadas, Chicken Burritosthe Tex-Mex options are wide and begging for experimentation!
- Chicken Soup. This Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is healthy, comforting, and ready in 30!
Read Also: Rice Sticks To Instant Pot
Heres How To Make This Delicious Shredded Mexican Chicken:
Add 1 can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes and 5 chipotle peppers to the IP. Mash the peppers up with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Now add the minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, lime juice and brown sugar .
Stir the mixture. Now add in 3 pounds of chicken breast. Turn and coat the chicken in the tomato mixture, then close and seal up the pot.
Next, using the high pressure-cooking setting, set the IP for 20 minutes. Be sure that the steam release valve is set to Sealing. Regarding cook times:
- If youre in a hurry, pressure cook for 10 minutes and the chicken will be fully cooked. It wont necessarily be easily shreddable but you could make it work.
- At 15 minutes, most of the chicken will shred but it still requires a little effort.
- At 20 minutes, the chicken shreds easily and its still nice and moist. This is my personal recommendation. .
- At 30 minutes, the chicken shreds effortlessly, but it could potentially be a bit dry.
Now go prep the rest of the ingredients for your incredibly delicious dinner or prop those feet up and enjoy glass of wine.
The IP will actually take 10-15 minutes to pressurize, then it will cook the chicken for the 20 minutes it was set to.
Once the time has reached zero you can carefully, release the pressure nozzle manually. Be careful that thing is like a volcano erupting with very hot steam.
Remove the lid and transfer the chicken to a large platter or cutting board.
Now its time to eat!
Pressure Cook Chicken Breasts
Add 4 cups cold water and 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in Instant Pot.
Close lid and turn Venting Knob to Sealing position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 0 minute , then 10 minutes Natural Release
*Note: 0 minute is not a typo! Were using the heat from the Pressurize Stage + Depressurize Stage to cook the chicken breast in Instant Pot.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Venting Knob Loose
Why Is My Instant Pot Chicken Rubbery
Weve found that a lot of recipes for Instant Pot shredded chicken actually call for pressure cooking the chicken for less time than we do, but in our experimentation, the lower amount of time tends to yield more rubbery, hard-to-shred chicken, while the amount of time that we recommend really allows the protein to break down and become tender + very easily shreddable.
Can You Freeze Shredded Chicken
Yes! This is a great meal planning hack shred your chicken ahead of time and freeze for the week ahead. Pro tip: portion out your chicken rather than putting a whole bunch in one freezer container, that way you can just take out the container or ziplock and add the meat as you need it to your soup, skillet or sauce.
Recommended Reading: Can You Cook Tamales In An Instant Pot
How To Save This Chicken For Later:
If you’re making this ahead, shred the chicken, then allow it to cool. Place in a sealed container or large zip top bag. This will last in the refrigerator for about 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you freeze the chicken, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for several hours before using.
Storing And Reheating Shredded Chicken
Cooked chicken breasts will last for three to four days in the refrigerator. That makes it perfect for meal prep or for storing in individual portions for lunches.
You can make a large batch of Instant Pot shredded chicken that will last for most of the week. Following the cooking, you can divide it into portions and season each portion the way you desire. Plan meals in advance to know what flavors you will need.
To reheat, sprinkle it with water and heat in the microwave for two minutes.
Save Time And Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
It is so easy and you can use fresh or frozen chicken breasts. Feel free to substitute chicken thighs or even mix them together.
I often use what I already have in the freezer or can get on sale at the grocery store. You are going to love how this turns out and how quick it is.
Make extra to freeze and save even more time in the kitchen thanks to this easy recipe. It is an easy way to meal prep. You will not spend hardly anytime cooking and freezing this but the time saved will really add up during busy weeks.
Perfect Instant Pot Chicken Breast
But chicken breast can be a bit more tricky to cook perfectly. Thankfully, after 20 plus tries, I have perfected cooking Instant Pot Chicken Breast. In fact, now I prefer preparing chicken breast in the Instant Pot over any other cooking method.
Whether fresh or frozen, I can whip up Instant Pot Chicken Breasts in record time and they turn out perfectly tender and juicy every single time.
Read Also: Milk In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Cooking Time
This kind of depends on what you’re working with! But typically a range of 10-15 minutes will do the trick depending on how you like your chicken.
We like how our chicken turns out when we set the Instant Pot to HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. Then let it natural release for 10 minutes.
The neat thing about the pressure cooker is that it is pretty intuitive and will make sure it’s hot enough to cook the chicken before the timer starts. When cooking frozen chicken, you don’t have to adjust the time, since the pressure cooker does it for you. Magical, right?
How To Reheat Shredded Chicken
There are 3 ways to reheat shredded chicken. Whichever mention you choose, I recommend warming it up with a little broth or water to prevent the chicken from drying out:
- Oven place in an oven-safe dish, cover with foil, and bake at 425ºF for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 165ºF.
- Microwave place in a microwave-safe container, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave 1 minute at a time for up to 5 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 165ºF.
- Stovetop melt butter or heat oil in a pan then add chicken and cook until its reached 165ºF.
Instant pot shredded chicken for the win!
You May Like: Can You Cook Steak In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
I know that this is such an easy recipe that most of you probably dont need tips on how to make shredded chicken, but there are a few things that I think are key so Im going to drop some hints anyway!
Do with them what you will
- Make sure you add enough liquid. The liquid is what makes for a tender, flavorful shredded or pulled chicken. Broth adds so much more flavor than water, and more liquid = more moisture in your chicken!
- Season well. You dont want to go overboard, but keep in mind that meat is best seasoned during the cooking process and not after . You will drain most of the liquid afterward, so you will not be consuming the full amount of salt, etc. as is listed in the recipe.
- Breasts or thighs? You can use either boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, or throw some of each in all together! Thighs have a richer flavor, and breasts are leaner. You choose.
Why Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Is The Best
There are several ways you can make Shredded chicken, It depends on what tool you are using, how much time you have on hand, and in what quantity you are making.
The slow cooker was my preferable way before I tried making it in the Instant Pot. Using a pressure cooker is great for so many reasons.
Coconut Curry shredded Chicken – perfect to pair with rice or making lettuce wrap.
Recommended Reading: Can Aluminium Foil Be Used In Pressure Cooker
Shredded Chicken Yield And Serving Sizes
The amount of shredded chicken your breast or thigh yields will vary widely depending upon their size. Generally:
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken will yield about 4 cups of shredded chicken.
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast will yield about 1 1/3 cups of shredded chicken. This is a medium breast. The average ones at our grocery store tend to skew larger, but it will depend on the specific brand you purchase. Organic breasts are usually smaller.
- Plan on about 1/3 to 1/2 pound of uncooked boneless chicken per serving.
- If you are adding the shredded chicken to a recipe with a large amount of other fixings , you will likely need less. For example, I find 1/4 pound per person for chicken tacos be plentyassuming we have plenty of chips and guac.
- The nutritional information in the recipe below is calculated for 1/2 pound or 1 breast.
I hope this guide on shredded chicken was helpful for you! What are some of your favorite ways to use shredded chicken? Id love to hear about them in the comments below!