How To Steam Diced Potatoes In The Instant Pot
For diced russet potatoes about 1 inch in size, pressure cook for 3 minutes when using a steamer basket. If you are cooking them in the main pot, just 1 minute on pressure cook mode will be enough.
Try these easy steamed potatoes and don’t forget to share how you used them!
Check out other instant pot cooking basics:
Why Use The Instant Pot To Make Baked Potatoes
I love baking potatoes in my instant pot for the following reasons:
- Its faster so it saves time in the kitchen. In total, it takes 30 minutes or less.
- It saves energy and doesnt heat up the house.
- Moreover, it helps to preserve the nutrients and flavors, so baked potatoes contain more vitamins and minerals compared to other cooking methods and are more flavorful.
- It transfers potatoes into fluffy baked potatoes.
- You dont need to babysit the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Baby Potatoes
*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our Instant Pot baby potatoes are seasoned with butter and a blend of Italian spices. All the flavor of your oven with the convenience of a pressure cooker.
Oh man, I love potatoes. From simple mashed versions to crispy oven roasted varieties, I feel you can never go wrong with this classic dinner time favorite.
For todays recipe, Kim and I decided to share our pressure cooker baby potatoes.
I will admit, I prefer herb roasted in my oven, but these potatoes in an Instant Pot are perfect when you dont have as much time to cook. Kim did not put any salt or pepper in the recipe, but you can add it taste on your own.
She chose Yukon Gold baby potatoes because there easy to work with, cook up nicely, and have a pretty presentation when paired with something green and leafy. However, you may want to use a different type, such as fingerling or purple potatoes.
It doesnt really matter all that much as long as they are small and fall into the, baby, category. If you chose larger ones, then youll have to increase the cooking time.
All in all, its a simple recipe to prepare and shouldnt take long provided you follow the steps. Furthermore, it wouldnt hurt to glance over the ideas and tips I provided below.
Read Also: How To Separate Frozen Ground Beef
Make Ahead And Reheating Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Prepare the mashed potatoes an hour or two before serving them and leave them in the Instant Pot on the warm setting. When youre ready to serve, give them a stir and add a few splashes of milk if they arent smooth. Taste them and add more salt or seasonings, if needed.
To Reheat: You can also rewarm mashed potatoes in the microwave. Add a splash of milk and additional seasonings until you reach the right consistency and taste.
Tips For Baby Potatoes:
- This recipe can be made in your oven. Simply preheat your oven to 375 degrees F., wash and prep your potatoes, combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, toss to coat everything, place on a greased sheet pan or 8×8 cooking dish, and let cook for 35-40 minutes or until fork tender.
- Try to use potatoes that are similar in shape and size so they cook evenly in your pressure cooker.
- For smashed potatoes, remove them from the cooker, place them in a food processor, add 2-3 tablespoons of butter and heavy cream, then pulse them until you reach the desire consistency. I recommend salt and pepper to taste.
- You could also use the tip above to create potato cakes. After they have been smashed, carefully form them into patties and fry each patty over medium heat with a little butter or oil.
If you like this baby potatoes recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on , , and searching for Berlys Kitchen!
Extra Cooking/Come to Pressure: Total Time:
Our Instant Pot baby potatoes are seasoned with butter and a blend of Italian spices. All the flavor of your oven with the convenience of a pressure cooker.
- 1 1/2 Lbs. Baby Gold Potatoes,
- 1 Cup Water
Recommended Reading: How To Wash Instant Pot Lid
How To Cook Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Wash and scrub potatoes, then dry with a paper towel.
- Pierce each potato with a fork to prevent it from exploding and allow steam and pressure to exit.
- Place potatoes on a trivet in the instant pot, and add one cup of cold water to the bottom of the pot.
- Cover with a lid and Press on MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and choose 12 minutes for medium potatoes and 10 minutes for smaller ones. If you are cooking large potatoes, then consider increasing the cooking time by 5 more minutes. Make sure that the vent is set on the sealing position.
- After the cooking program ends, allow pressure to release naturally.
Recommended Tools For This Recipe
These are the tools that Ive used to make these roasted butter and garlic potatoes:
- Vegetable brush to clean the baby potatoes
- A bowl I have this gorgeous mixing bowl that I use all the time!
- Garlic press the only garlic press that I will ever use. Ive had this for over 5 years now and love it. Reliable, easy to use and wash, and never breaks.
Read Also: Can You Cook Tamales In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot Crispy Potatoes
These Instant Pot Crispy Potatoes are a fast and easy way to get these delicious spuds on your dinner table!
Butbutbutpotatoes arent Paleo!
Once again, with feeling: It all depends on what you mean when you say Paleo. There is, after all, no such thing as one definitive Paleo diet. Potatoes may not have been available to cavemen, but I really dont care. Historical re-enactment aint my cup of tea.
My personal template for Paleo eating focuses on nutrient-packed whole foods that dont hurt me. For me, potatoes fall into that category. After checking out Bill and Hayleys post on the Paleosity of potatoes, listening to the safe starch debate, and soaking in Mat Lalondes talk about nutrient density at the 2012 Ancestral Health Symposium , Ive decided that an occasional portion of peeled potatoes are a-OK on my plate. Your circumstances may be different for instance, if youre on a super-low-carb protocol at the moment, youre probably not looking to down a bowl of spuds.
Blah, blah, blah, science, science, science, blah, blah, blah.
With that pesky business out of the way, let me show you how to use a pressure cooker to make spuds with crispy exteriors and fluffy interiors in no time flat.
Which Potatoes To Use
Waxy or all-purpose potatoes are the best candidates for boiling. They hold their shape when boiled and have a nice creamy texture once cooked. They are also usually smaller usually no bigger than your fist and thin-skinned, so they cook more quickly. Although many use a waxy type of potatoes, you can also boil the starchy ones. I have a friend who adores starchy potatoes and says that they are the best for the potato mash. Still, make sure you are using them all at the same size just to prevent overcooking of some.
Don’t Miss: Saute Function Instant Pot
Why Use The Instant Pot
Baked Potatoes are probably one of the worlds best side dishes. And maybe even the most popular.
Potatoes are pretty affordable, and quite filling. You can customize them in so many ways with various toppings. Or make au gratin potatoes!
However, you first have to start with the perfect baked potato.
For years Ive been baking my potatoes in the oven, just like my mom taught me, and her mom taught her. But are they really the easiest side dish when often times they take LONGER than the main dish?
I mean, sure they are EASY, but they can be time consuming.
Until now. Ive recently discovered my love of making potatoes in the Instant Pot.
Not only do they come out creamy and perfect on the inside, but they are done in far less time than it takes in the oven!
For Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Begin with the recipe above and fully cook the desired amount of sweet potatoes.
- When the NPR is finished and you release pressure from the pot, unseal the lid. Reserve 1/2-1 cup of the cooking liquid and mash with the desired add-ins. Follow the same instructions for regular mashed potatoes.
- Add-in ideas: coconut oil, butter, olive oil, coconut milk, buttermilk, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, chives, nut butter, pecans, sugar/coconut sugar.
You May Like: Instant Pot Tri Tip Medium Rare
How Long Does It Take To Boil Potatoes In An Instant Pot
The greatest advantage of boiling potatoes in the Instant Pot is that you don’t have to set multiple timers or adjust the heat while cooking – the Instant Pot simply does all the work for you. But time variances occur depending on the type and size of your potatoes.
The length of time it takes to cook potatoes in the Instant Pot is as follows:
- Baby Potatoes : Baby potatoes that are around 1 inch long will take about 5 mins with a Quick Release , or Natural Pressure Release .
- Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes : I consider medium potatoes to be about 2-2.5 inches long, which will take 6 minutes with QR or NPR. If your potatoes are really thick, then add another 1 minute to the cooking time.
- Russet : For large potatoes, around 4-5.5 inches long, pressure cook for 10 mins with QR or NPR. If the potatoes are extra large and really thick, then cook them for 12 minutes.
Note: These times result in a cooked through potato that will hold shape if sautéing, etc. For mashed potato consistency, add another 2 minutes.
How To Boil Potatoes In Instant Pot
Published Updated February 3, 2021 By Meeta Arora | This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Boil or Steam Potatoes in the Instant Pot? This is part of the Instant Pot Cooking Basics series. Potatoes are perfect to steam in a pressure cooker, and it takes less than 30 minutes to get perfectly cooked potatoes. I use boiled potatoes in many dishes, such as potato peas curry, spiced mashed potatoes.
I had always boiled potatoes in my stovetop pressure cooker, however it did need some monitoring. With the instant pot, just set the time and do a natural pressure release, while I can do other chores.
Having pre-boiled potatoes at hand is great for meal planning. I can then use them as needed to make quick meals. Some interesting indian dishes you can make with boiled potatoes:
- Mumbai Vada Pav which is the popular Indian style burger.
- Savory Potato Puffs – This is very similar to the paneer puffs I have shared before. Just use boiled potatoes in place of paneer.
Also Check: Beef Sirloin Instant Pot
How To Steam Small Baby Potatoes In The Instant Pot
For baby potatoes, I prefer to use a steamer basket. Add water to the instant pot steel insert. Place the steamer basket with baby potatoes in the instant pot insert. Pressure cook at high pressure for 5 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
How Long To Cook Potatoes Instant Pot
I have tested numerous sizes of potatoes. The most important thing is to make sure potatoes are of similar size and then follow these cooking times:
Small potatoes 15 minutes on High Pressure.
Medium to large potatoes 20 minutes on High Pressure.
You May Like: How Long Do You Cook Frozen Tamales
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Substitutes for heavy cream – For a lighter taste, replace a portion of the heavy cream for milk, half and half, or stock. Add less liquid if you prefer thicker mashed potatoes. If you prefer thinner mashed potatoes, add more liquid depending on your preference.
- Drain potatoes well – You want to drain the potatoes well so they absorb more of the cream and butter. If the potatoes cool down, set the Instant Pot to Saute to keep them warm.
- Optional flavorings – Scallions, cheese, bacon, roasted garlic, garlic powder, onion powder.
How To Make Crisp
You can have your potato and eat it too~crispy, tender, golden brown, and buttery~all using the Instant Pot .
These Instant Pot crispy roasted potatoes are one of my top reasons for loving my Instant Pot. I can have perfectly crisp & tender potatoes in less than an hour without turning on the oven or heating up a skillet.
These potatoes are ALWAYS a hit, and they actually make a fun, filling appetizer. Serve them on a platter with tiny bowls of sea salt, pepper, sour cream, and ketchup .
How do you make potatoes crisp in the Instant Pot?
It is easy to crisp potatoes in the Instant Pot thanks to the Sauté function. Sliced potatoes are placed into the Instant Pot, with oil and/or butter, and sautéed until golden brown on both sides.
- First, preheat the IP to saute on high heat. Once hot, add butter & EVOO. When butter is mostly melted, add potatoes and stir to coat. Saute for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until skins are brown.
- Second, add broth set valve to sealing close IP lid. Press manual and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes. Once cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes . After this, you can release any pressure by moving the valve to venting. Season potatoes with salt and pepper garnish with fresh chives.
NOTE: If you want the potatoes to be more crisp after turning out from the Instant Pot, you can always toss them into a skillet for more browning. We love them just like this, though:-)
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Says Burn Then Went Away
Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes
You can make super crispy roasted potatoes right in your Instant Pot with just 11 minutes of pressure cooking. There is a secret method for extra-crispy results that you wont find in the Instant Pot recipe book!
Plus, I share my grandmothers amazing recipe for potato seasoning!
Time To Make Instant Pot Crispy Potatoes
- 1 pound fingerling or Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into uniform 11½ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons of ghee, avocado oil, or favorite cooking fat
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup minced chives or Italian parsley
- Juice from ½ medium lemon
Add ½ cup of water to the cooking insert of an Instant Pot or 6-quart stove top pressure cooker fitted with a steamer insert.
Dump in the potatoes.
If youre using an electric pressure cooker like an Instant Pot, simply press the Manual or Pressure Cook button and program it cook for 5 minutes under high pressure. Lock the lid, with the valve in the sealing position and let the Instant Pot do its thing.
When the potatoes are done cooking, turn off the Instant Pot and let the pressure release naturally . Instant Pot users can manually release the pressure manually at the 10 minute mark if the pressure hasnt completely dropped by then. You can fry the cooked potatoes right away or refrigerate them in a covered container for up to a week.
Melt the ghee or butter over medium high heat in a large skillet. Once it starts sputtering, carefully add the potatoes to the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper. Leave the potatoes undisturbed for 1 minute before flipping to brown the other side for an additional minute.
If desired, season with the juice from half a lemon and toss with fresh chives or Italian parsley. Serve!
Read Also: Burn Warning Instant Pot
What Can I Make With Boiled Potatoes
Boiled potatoes are like a blank canvas for a number of different recipes.
And trust me when I say, my girls and I use a lot of potatoes in Indian cooking. Some of our potato must-haves include Samosa Chaat Cups, a twist on the classic Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers, and crowd pleasing Samosa Pinwheels.
What Are The Best Potatoes To Use
Truth be told when making baked potatoes Russet potatoes are the best. Sure you can use another kind, but believe me, it wont be the same. The same goes when making Instant Pot potato soup. They are large starchy potatoes of dark brown colour and often look or are dirty. However, if you buy them in a bag, they often come pre-washed.
However, any thin-skinned potato like red, yellow, or Yukon Gold can be baked. The texture will be more buttery than fluffy. Alternately, save those red or Yukon Gold to make Instant Pot potato salad.
Also Check: Chicken Tenders In An Instant Pot
Can I Steam Potatoes Without A Trivet
If you want to boil potatoes while cooking something else in the main pot, then I suggest to use the mode needed for what you are cooking in the main pot. The Steam function works best when food is being steamed on a trivet. It increases the temperature inside the pot very fast, as it does not expect to have any food directly in contact with the bottom of the pot.