How To Make Instant Pot Pot Roast
Step 1 Start by generously seasoning both sides of the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
Step 2 Then turn on the saute setting in your Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker and use the adjust button to turn it to the medium saute setting then add two tablespoons of olive oil.
Brown the beef on both sides until you get it well caramelized, this will add to the flavor so dont skip this step.
Step 3 pour in the gluten free beef broth along with the herbs and garlic, and using a flat ended spatula or wooden spoon deglaze the pot by scraping up all the meat bits from the bottom. This will help ensure that you dont get the burn notice.
Step 4 Add the chopped up onions, carrots, and celery to the broth, this will add flavor to the meat juices and in turn create a really delicious gravy. We dont serve these vegetables with the meat but Ive got directions for cooking those later on as they only take a couple of minutes after the meat is cooked.
Step 5 put the beef chuck roast on top of the vegetables then lock the lid and cook for it 47 â 50 minutes at high pressurefor an average sized roast. Please read the recipe notes on cook times for specific details on timings for different sizes of roast.
Step 7 Now to make the gravy! Remove all the vegetables from the meat juices and mix the starch with cold water as directed in the recipe, then use the saute setting and while stirring pour in the starch mixture.
Some Other Recipes We Are Sure You Will Love:
- Braised Herb Lamb Shanks just might be the perfect dinner! The lamb is fall-off-the-bone tender, flavored with fresh herbs, wine, and beef broth. Dont be intimidated by this one, its simple but impressive!
- Want to know the best way to make Caramelized Onions? Heres a handy how-to, because theyre great on EVERYTHING.
- Our Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings are the ultimate comfort food! Plus, its easy and quick, which means more time to savor each bite! Or go back for seconds.
How To Make Tri Tip In The Instant Pot
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
What Is The Best Cut Of Beef For Instant Pot Pot Roast
Pot roast is a method of cooking tough meat at low temperature for a long period of time. It is meant to be used with cheap and tough cuts of meat with not much fat .
- Chuck roast comes from the shoulder part of the cow. I used chuck roast in all my Instant Pot roast beef tests.
- Rump roast comes from cows hindquarters. It is more tender than chuck roast.
Both cuts are inexpensive and will work. Both roasts come from heavily exercised part of cow which contain high amounts of collagen and connective tissue that make the meat very tough. When cooked low and slow, collagen eventually breaks down into gelatin making meat tender and gravy velvety smooth and succulent.
Instant Pot Frozen Roast
This recipe may have originated out of necessity when I forgot to thaw my roast in advance, but its quickly become our chosen way of making roast! The results are so tender, that I dont see the need to thaw the meat in advance anymore.
If youre looking for pull-apart tender pot roast with minimal effort and time, this is definitely the recipe for you!
Serve Instant Pot Roast Beef
After 8 10 minutes rest, your Instant Pot Roast Beef is ready to be sliced
*Pro Tip: Cut pressure cooker roast beef against the grain for best result.
For Round of Eye Roast: you will want to slice it as thin as you can .
For Top Sirloin Roast: you can slice it into steak size.
Serve this classic Instant Pot Roast Beef and Gravy with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy~
What Is The Difference Between A Natural And Manual Release On The Instant Pot
A natural release means to allow the Instant Pot to slowly lose pressure on its own. You dont have to touch any buttons or steam valves since the Instant Pot will automatically start naturally releasing pressure as soon as the timer hits zero and beeps.
A quick-release, or a manual release, is when you manually turn or press the vent valve to quickly release the pressure. The pressure is completely gone once the valve drops.
The Instant Pot will let out a lot of steam when being released manually, so its important to either use a wooden spoon, or my favorite is to use a long oven mitt to protect my hand and forearm from the hot steam.
Also Check: What Is C7 On Instant Pot
How Do You Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
To cook a beef roast in an instant pot, follow these simple steps!
Thats all there is to it! Now read on to find out what people have to say about this revolutionary way to cook your favorite Sunday dish, the famous Pot Roast.
Instant Pot Pot Roast Experiment
In our Instant Pot Pot Roast experiment, we pressure cooked 3 nearly identical chuck roast steak at High Pressure for 20 mins, 45 mins, and 75 mins with an Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker.
Out of the 3 results, we enjoyed the 45-Minutes Instant Pot Pot Roast the most.
It was overall the most well-balanced in terms of Meat Texture, Meat Juice, Meat Flavors, and Sauce. It was definitely the most delicious one!
So, we developed this easy pot roast instant pot recipe based on this cooking time.
You can read more about the pot roast experiment here:The Best Pot Roast Cooking Time Experiment.
Don’t Miss: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How To Make Pot Roast In A Pressure Cooker
In our photos, we are using a 6-quart Instant Pot, which is an electric pressure cooker. Other brands make electric pressure cookers, too. If you own one of them, you should be able to use this recipe without any problems .
Step 1, Season the beef and bring to room temperature. Ive already touched on this above, but Ill quickly do it again, here. After testing, we found that when we left the beef out on the counter to come closer to room temperature before cooking it, the pot roast was much more tender at the end of the cook time. I also love that the beef gets a chance to sit with the salt for about an hour before cooking. In this time, the salt seeps into the meat and helps to season and tenderize it.
Step 2, Brown the beef on all sides. By browning the beef on all sides before cooking at high pressure, we add color to the meat and add lots of flavor to the pot. For a one pot meal, brown the beef right in the pressure cooker using the Saute function. If your pressure cooker does not have this function, simply brown the beef in a heavy pan on the stove. After browning, I remove the beef so I can move onto the veggies.
Step 5, Pressure cook until the beef is tender. As I mentioned above, the time you need to cook will vary depending on how large the piece of beef is that you are cooking. We have found that a 3-pound roast takes 60 minutes at high pressure before it is tender.
What Is The Best Cut Of Beef For A Rare Roast
A Top Loin roast is my favorite cut of beef for this method. It has lots of flavor. Slice it thin for amazing roast beef sandwiches! The roast pictured is an Eye of Round roast, which is a little less expensive, and still produces excellent results. You could also try a Bottom Round roast, and have a wonderful, sliceable beef roast.
You will get the best results from a thicker roast. This roast is about 2.5 pounds, and just 3 inches thick. I wont cook this one as long as a larger, thicker roast.
Here are the steps to make a nice rare or medium rare beef roast in the Instant Pot:
When you trim the fat, dont take all of it off. Leave some for flavor!
When you add the roast back into the pot to pressure cook it, use the metal trivet/rack and set the roast on it.
You dont HAVE to do this, but I like the results a little better as the sear stays a little crisper.
Sometimes I forget the trivet, as I did below, and the results are still awesome!
If you are making the roast to have slices for roast beef sandwiches, you can skip the gravy making steps.
Maybe save the juices and make some French Dip sandwiches? Strain the au jus before serving so it is nice and clear of bits.
If you dont want your roast to be rare, but you still want it to be sliceable, just let it cook an extra minute or two. Then let it Naturally release a little longer.
Also Check: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot
Can I Use Frozen Beef
You might be wondering if you can use frozen beef for pot roast. Technically, the answer is yes, the cook time will just be longer .
That said, for the best results, we highly recommend following our method which calls for thawed beef thats seasoned with salt and been left on the counter long enough to take the chill off. This extra time creates the most flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth pot roast. Using thawed beef also allows us to brown the outside of the meat before braising it, which adds a lot of extra flavor to dish.
Dont Miss: Burn Warning On Instant Pot
Instant Pot Sirloin Roast With Mashed Potatoes
Sunday dinners can be made any day of the week when you have an Instant Pot.
Try out this Instant Pot Sirloin Roast with Mashed Potatoes and people will think you have been cooking for hours!
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you dont miss out on any important tips and tricks!
The first step was to peel and cut the potatoes. How many depends on how many people you have eating the meal. I used 6 large potatoes and then placed them in a steamer basket.
The next step was to pour the olive oil into the Instant Pot and turn the Pot to the saute function. I also sprinkled in a teaspoon of Montreal Steak Spice for extra flavour.
Then I lowered the sirloin roast into the Instant Pot and sprinkled about a half teaspoon of Montreal Steak Spice on top of it.
I seared the sirloin roast on both sides for about 3 minutes a side.
Using a large serving fork I removed the roast to a plate, turned the sauté function off and added in the beef broth. I made sure to scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
This deglazing step is very important.
After deglazing, I placed the trivet in the Pot and lowered the seared roast on top of it.
I placed the steamer basket full of potatoes on top of the roast.
When the Instant Pot was done cooking, I allowed it to natural release for 8 minutes.
I used a potato masher to make the mashed potatoes.
Other Ingredients For Instant Pot Roast
- Onions and mushrooms: Yellow or white onions. Brown or portobello mushrooms yield more flavor than white mushrooms. You can use red onion as well, if thats all you have.
- Red wine: Any medium priced red wine like Pinot Noir. Do no use the cheapest one though, flavor not the same.
- Seasonings: Dried rosemary, thyme, onion and garlic. Paprika , salt and pepper.
- Broth: Best one would be low sodium beef broth. But chicken or vegetable broth, or even water, would be fine too. If your broth is not low sodium, reduce salt by 1/2 tsp.
- Vinegar: You can use red wine, balsamic or apple cider vinegar on their own or in any combination. Also part or all can be replaced with Worcestershire sauce. I used 1 tbsp apple cider + 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- Potatoes and carrots: Please note vegetables fit to cook at same time with the roast only in 8 or 10 quart Instant Pot.
Is It Better To Pressure Cook Or Slow Cook Beef
The biggest difference in using a pressure cooker or slow cooker is time. Pressure cookers were invented to do the job of a slow cooker in only a portion of the time.
But slow cookers are still around for a reason. Youll have to take a look at the pros and cons of both to decide which is better for you!
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
My Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Was Tough Why Did That Happen
There are a couple of reasons for your Instant Pot pot roast not cooking as expected so Ill run through the most common issues below:
You May Like: How To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs On The Grill