What Are The Nutrients In Gelatinous Bone Broth
There’s a long list of nutrients found in bone broth, these include collagen, gelatin, glycine, proline, glutamine, hyaluronic acid, glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, proteoglycans, cartilage, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium.
These are researched compounds and minerals with tons of amazing benefits. There is no other food that has all of these nutrients in one convenience source.
How To Make And Freeze The Best Instant Pot Bone Broth
This Instant Pot Bone broth is the easiest and most nourishing recipe youll come across! The Instant Pot makes it so simple to enjoy this warming and anti-inflammatory broth quicker than you can say chicken bones!
Whether Im drinking it straight or using it as a part of a recipe, bone broth is a staple in my kitchen !
We use our frozen bone broth for all our soup recipes here on the blog.
I figured I should pack extra ingredients in there that pull out even more nutrients so I get the best bang for my buck.
In my opinion, this recipe is the BEST of all bone broth recipes because of the anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric, and the fact that the apple cider vinegar strips the bones of all their nutritious goodness so youre not wasting anything.
We love bone broth so much we have this post on why you want to cook with it –> More than just a Food Trend: 5 Reasons to cook with Bone Broth!
Why Use An Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is one of the most useful kitchen appliances you can buy, because it drastically cuts down on the cooking time for developing flavors in soups and stews, getting tough cuts of meat tender, and even baking a cheesecake. And there are many accessories that will help you get more out of your Instant Pot.
If you dont have one yet, check out our guide on which one to buy. You can also check out our Instant Pot page for more information.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Steak In Instant Pot
What You Need For Instant Pot Bone Broth
We usually buy a whole free-range chicken and separate the meat from the carcass to use in other dishes. Whats left is the carcass and chicken legs and wings with a little meat on it. Thats what we use to make this broth. You can use leftover bones and carcass from a roasted chicken, or even a few chicken legs/feet, wings and necks.
You can buy a whole chicken and then cut it in half. Use one half to make this recipe and freeze the other half for another day. This way you will also have a bit more meat so you can make satiating chicken noodle soup, once you have made the broth.
Why Youll Love This Recipe:
Also Check: What Part Of Instant Pot Is Dishwasher Safe
What Are The Benefits Of Bone Broth
The nutritional profile of bone broth depends widely on the kind of bones you use , your cooking time, and the way the animals were raised . But there are a few common things about bone broth that make it so awesome:
- Its loaded with gelatin. The slow and low cooking helps to release the gelatinwhich is a broken-down version of collagenthat is in the connective tissues and bones you use. Why is this a good thing? Well, major important areas of our body are made from collagenin fact, about 25% of our body is made of collagen! Some folks use gelatin or collagen supplements, but bone broth is another effective way to get your gelatin and collagen. Making sure you get an adequate supply of collagen has a ton of health benefits like helping you sleep better, making your skin more supple, protecting your gut lining, and making your joints less achy.
- Its easy to digest. Sometimes the roughage of a huge salad is good for you, but sometimesespecially if you are fighting digestive disorders or your immune system isnt up to snuffeasy-to-digest foods are the way to go. Bone broth is a wonderful marriage of easy-on-the-digestion-system, but still nutritionally powerful.
Grandmas Ham And Bean Soup
Most people who try this soup for the first time are surprised by its color, my husband included. Typically, ham and bean soup is more white in color, I know that is how my husbands mother made it.
Our family recipe always used tomato juice instead of stock or water. It intensifies the flavor simply and deliciously.
You May Like: How To Cook Artichokes In An Instant Pot
Dishes To Use Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth In
Add homemade chicken broth to any of these Instant Pot risotto dishes or as tasty liquid in your Instant Pot pasta recipes. Try this creamy chicken and noodle pasta dish.
Use it as a base in any Instant Pot soups or stovetop versions you make where a chicken stock or broth is required. We also use it in curries or any stock-based stews. This bone broth is an excellent base for this chicken and potatoes dish, and we use it to make my savoury chicken. and my chicken pot pie.
How To Make Instant Pot Bone Broth
This Instant Pot Bone Broth Recipe is delicious, packed full of natural collagen and nutrients, and is so easy to make. Made with both chicken and beef bones, learn how to make this easy homemade Instant Pot Bone Broth and enjoy all the amazing health benefits of traditional bone broth in a fraction of the time.
Read Also: How To Cook Fish In Instant Pot
What Is The Best Cheese To Melt In Soup
This recipe is very similar to the broccoli cheddar soup at Panera Bread. To replicate the same great flavors, I recommend using sharp cheddar cheese. Mild or medium cheddar just doesnt have the same punchy qualities.
If you cant find sharp cheddar, stick with cheeses that are high in moisture with a lower melting point, like gruyere, fontina, and swiss.
Lastly, always shred the cheese yourself. Packaged pre-shredded cheese doesnt melt as nicely or taste as creamy.
How To Make Ham Bone Broth
Remember earlier when I said that this was easier than running to the store? I meant it.
All you have to do is add all the ingredients to your Instant Pot. Seal the pot . Then, pressure cook on high for 60 minutes. There is no need to stand by the stove as you bring a large stockpot or dutch oven to a boil and then turn it to medium-high heat and watch it simmer for an hour or so.
At the end of the cook time, wait for the natural release . When the pressure has fully released, remove the lid and strain the broth.
Read Also: How Long To Cook Basmati Rice In Instant Pot
How Do You Freeze Bone Broth
I like to freeze my Instant Pot bone broth in these silicone ice cube molds for easy use in recipes. Once the cubes are frozen, I package them up into a large ziploc bag.
Each cube is about 1/3 cup of broth. If I need to thaw some bone broth quickly, its easy to just pop a few of these cubes into a small saucepan or into a microwave to thaw them quickly.
Its much faster than thawing an entire mason jar of bone broth.
You can also freeze the bone broth in the same silicone mold that I use to make these Instant Pot Sous Vide Egg Bites!
Bone broth has been touted as being better than Botox because its full of goodies like collagen and gelatin. Theyll help plump your skin, coat your digestive tract and cushion your joints.
Thats why its highly desired for your Instant Pot bone broth to gel after its cooled.
The way to be sure it gets that high concentration of collagen and gelatin is to be sure that your ratio of water to bones is just right. And to be sure that youre using organic bones that have a good amount of collagen to them.
Conventionally raised chickens dont have as much collagen in their joints and bones as an organically raised chicken. Marrow rich beef on the other hand, will produce plenty of gelatinous goodness.
However, dont worry if your bone broth doesnt gel.
Its still got loads of minerals and nutrition in there. Enjoy!
Voil Youve Just Made Broth
Remove the insert and allow the broth to cool enough so that you can taste it without burning your tongue. Add sea salt to taste or leave it unsalted for use in recipes and as a cooking liquid for potatoes, vegetables, or rice.
Strain the broth into a large bowl with a pouring spout to separate the liquid from the solids. Transfer broth to glass jars with lids leaving the lids off until the broth has cooled enough to be refrigerated usually 1 1/2 2 hours depending on the temperature of your kitchen.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Silicone Ring
Ways You Can Use Homemade Beef Bone Broth
Your beef bone broth can be used however you like. So if you are wondering what to make with beef broth, here are some suggestions:
Any time you use regular stock or water, you can substitute Instant Pot beef stock stews, soups, ramens, casseroles, stuffing, etc.
- Use it as a base for a nutritious and delicious gravy.
- Make a Japanese soup by mixing in a teaspoon of miso and maybe some scallions, garlic, and ginger.
- Use it instead of water when youre cooking rice or pasta.
- Add some to scrambled eggs or mashed potatoes.
- If you need a quick pick-me-up, especially if youre feeling under the weather, sip a cup of bone broth in the morning or as a quick snack. Heat it up with a little garlic and ginger.
Note: Bone broth is unsuitable for vegetarians, vegans, or anyone following a low-protein diet. It is wonderful, however, for those looking to include more protein as it is paleo- and keto-friendly. In fact, this recipe is Instant Pot beef bone broth keto compatible, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
What Is The Difference Between Bone Broth Chicken Broth And Chicken Stock
Bone broth and chicken stock are essentially the same thing and use the bones of the chicken to make the broth, while chicken broth does not. Regular chicken broth uses only meat and vegetables, is lighter, and does not form a gelatin when cooled. Stock and Bone Broth use bones and cartilage. It is richer in vitamins, minerals, collagen, and protein.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Chicken Stock In Instant Pot
How Long Does It Take To Make Bone Broth In An Instant Pot
It takes 120 minutes on the manual or soup setting to make gelatinous bone broth in your Instant Pot. If you account for all of the extra prep and cleanup time then you can have it all done in three hours.
The goal of making bone broth is to extract all the nutrients and flavor from the beef. So using a pressure cooker or instant pot greatly reduces the time you need to make it.
One time I simply poured some of it into the sink before realizing I didn’t have a bowl to catch it all. Other times, I’ve filled the bowl completely and sent innocent broth overflowing onto the counter or sink.
The Best Instant Pot Beef Bone Broth Recipe
The Best INSTANT POT Beef Bone Broth get all of the flavor and health benefits of a traditional bone broth in a fraction of the time by learning how to make Instant Pot bone broth! A homemade broth tastes so much better than store-bought and is a great way to reduce waste and use the bones, veggie scraps, and seasonings youve got at home!
When YOU make Easy Beef Bone Broth Recipe please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
You may have heard about bone broth and wondered what its all about. Or maybe youre familiar with it and looking for a way to cut down on the time it takes to make it. Either way, this is the best Instant Pot beef bone broth you will ever make and it couldnt be easier!
Beef bone broth is traditionally made by cooking the bones, aromatics, and seasonings on low and slow for hours. Im talking 24 hours! This helps to extract all of the flavor, collagen, and other nutrients from the bones making it not only delicious but so good for you too!
It can be used as a base for soups, stews, gravies, and chili of course, but it is also something my family likes to sip on to reap those health benefits, especially during cold and flu season!
There is nothing that a good hot cup of Instant Pot beef bone broth cant do, and Im going to show you the quickest way to make it so that you will have some on hand all season long!
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Price Walmart
Chicken Bone Broth Instant Pot Ingredients:
All you need to make bone broth is bones + water.. seriously. Thats IT.
I use the scraps and bones from my One Hour Whole Roasted Chicken or my Whole 30 Crockpot Lemon Rosemary Whole Chicken. You can also use a turkey carcass. We have a whole post on Turkey Broth here.
You can also add herbs or veggies that you have to the mix. I like to throw in a few carrots, onion + rosemary for flavor but you can make this with JUST bones and water.
There really is no wrong way to do it its totally up to you!
Instant Pot Bone Broth
So why make bone broth in an Instant Pot?
The naturally occurring nutrients in bone broth boast a host of benefits for hair, skin, and nails, all the way to supporting our gut health.
This gelatin is extracted from beef bones or chicken bones and cooked right into the golden broth, which you can sip on its own or use as a base for cooking.
We know that for bone broth to be the best it can be, it has to be cooked for a long time.
And Instant Pots are specifically meant to be speedy.
So how does that work?
The answer is in the pressure cooking aspect of this awesome machine.
Because the interior of the Instant Pot is heated so rapidly, the steam builds up and actually forces itself through the bones inside, pushing out their goodness far more rapidly than the gentle simmer of your stove top or slow cooker.
Your Instant Pot bone broth will come out in two hours just as rich as your 24-hour stove top bone broth.
After your broth is done, youll notice that the bones in your pot will easily break and crumble, indicating that theyre ready.
Once youve strained out the scraps and refrigerated your broth, youll find the same Jell-O-like goodness in your jars for a fraction of the cook time.
Recommended Reading: Why Slow Release Instant Pot
Best Bones For Bone Broth
- The best beef bones to use are knuckles, joints, feet, and marrow bones.
- For added flavor incorporate meaty bones like oxtail, shank, and short ribs.
- Chicken feet contain loads of gelatin and are less expensive than other gelatin-rich bones.
- The bones of younger animals contain a lot of cartilage, as it is this cartilage that will eventually turn to bone as the animal ages. For this reason, veal bones are particularly prized for making stock.
- If you cant get your hands on any marrow bones, 1-2 whole roasted chicken carcasses will also work. Keep in mind, however, that your broth will contain less collagen.
What bones did I use in this recipe? For this Instant Pot Bone Broth recipe, I added a mix of collagen-rich beef bones as well as chicken feet. If youre unsure at all, ask your local butcher for the best broth bones and then request that he or she cut them in half.
How Much Bone Broth Should You Drink Daily
As much as you want, honestly. Id start at one or two cups a day, and see how that makes you feel. When Im in the depths of a Lyme Disease flare-up, I switch to consuming almost entirely bone broth. I tend to lose my appetite, and bone broth nourishes me enough to give me energy without taxing my body to digest foods it really doesnt want to eat anyway . Since bone broth is a food-based medicine, its really hard to O.D. on the stuffenjoy regularly!
Recommended Reading: Short Ribs Instant Pot
How To Store Beef Bone Broth
This liquid gold should be one of your staples since its a great way to add flavor and nutrition to many dishes. Heres how to store it:
- Pour your beef bone broth into clean containers and allow it to cool down before refrigerating or freezing. Store for up to 5 days in the fridge and 4 to 6 months in the freezer.
- Store it in small batches to be conveniently used as needed. Defrost it in the fridge or microwave or throw it into hot dishes such as soups and stews while still frozen.
- Mason jars make suitable freezer storage containers, but they become fragile when frozen. To avoid broken jars, use wide-mouth canning jars. Make sure the broth is cooled and leave at least an inch of space at the top. Freeze the jars uncovered and dont place the lids on the jars until the broth is completely frozen.
- Its best to defrost glass jars of bone broth in the refrigerator to avoid sudden temperature changes and possible breakage.
- Freeze your Instant Pot bone broth in silicone ice cube molds for easy use in recipes. When the cubes are frozen solid, place them in a plastic ziptop freezer bag. Each cube represents approximately 1/3 cup of broth. When you need to quickly thaw some bone broth, just pop a few cubes into a saucepan or your microwave.
- Reduce bone broth for storage to save on freezer space. Simmer the broth over low heat on the stovetop until its reduced by half. You will need to thin the reduced broth with water before using it.