Does Sushi Rice Need To Be Rinsed
Yes, you should take time to rinse sushi rice before cooking it. Rinsing it will remove debris and excess starch from the rice. If this isnt done, the starch may bubble up during cooking and can clog the Instant Pots venting mechanism.
You dont need to rinse the rice for very long just until the water runs clear. A time of 10 to 15 seconds per rinse usually does the trick. Just add the rice to a mesh sieve and run under cold water.
Whats With All The Vinegar
I have to admit. I was skeptical at first too. It does look like a lot of acidity for the amount of rice.
However, if you follow this Instant Pot recipe, you wont regret it!
The vinegar enriches the rice with so much flavor that you will not want to have sushi rice in any other combination from the first moment you taste this.
Quick tip: When you get the rice out of the IP, put it in a glass bowl, and use a wooden spoon to mix the sauce in. The wooden spoon is gentler with the rices texture and the glass bowl doesnt react to the vinegar .
Also, dont use a stirring motion when you mix the sauce into the rice unless you want mushy rice. Instead, use the wooden spoon or spatula to create a folding motion thats gentle with the rice.
How To Make This Recipe
Place the rice in a fine mesh sieve over a glass bowl.
Fill the bowl with cold water and rinse for 30 seconds. Repeat this process 3-5 times, until the water runs clear.
Drain the rice with a fine mesh sieve until dry.
Add the rice and water to the Instant Pot and set to “pressure cook” on high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure cooker to naturally release – this should take 10-15 additional minutes.
While the rice cooks, combine rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt in medium bowl and stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
Once the rice has cooked, place it in a glass bowl and mix in the sushi vinegar mix.
Allow the rice and vinegar to cool completely before making any sushi rolls.
Also Check: Steel Cut Oats To Water Ratio
I Know It Seems Like A Lot Of Vinegar
I wasn’t surprised at how many comments we received about how much vinegar is called for in this recipe. I also wasn’t surprised at the response after people gave it a try! It may seem like a lot, but trust me on this… It creates an amazing flavor! And I think it’s some of the best sushi rice I’ve ever tasted. Try it!
Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Calrose Rice
1. Water to Rice Ratio: this ratio makes or breaks your path to perfecting Instant Pot Rice. So, measure them as accurately as possible for your satisfaction ?
2. Rinsing the Rice: If you are rinsing the rice, drain well and reduce 2 tablespoons from the water. Its critical to be precise on the water to rice ratio in order to achieve optimal results.
What Type Of Rice Do You Use For Sushi
Sushi Rice is rice thats flavoured with vinegar-based seasonings. Sushi rice is made of white, short-grain Japanese rice seasoned with rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. However, keep in mind that some rice companies outside of Japan call their short grain rice sushi rice so make sure to double check where it is made and if its truly sushi rice or just short grain rice.
If you want real sushi rice, it is important you purchase authentic sushi rice as the consistency and flavour of Japanese rice is very different from other types of rice. Sushi rice has higher moisture content and is characterized by its stickiness and texture.
What Is Sushi Rice
Not all rice is created equal. While the Instant Pot does a great job of cooking all different types, youll want to make sure your sushi rice comes out with the right consistency and texture. Sushi rice is sometimes called sticky rice. Its what makes it easy to use when using delicate nori and fish alongside it to create sushi rolls, bowls, and more. It holds together well and takes on the shape of whatever you mould it into.
The first step in making beautiful sushi rice is choosing the right type of rice to craft your recipe with. You should look for short-grain Japanese rice or medium-grain California rice. Most times, you will find rice simply labelled sushi rice. It may also be called Calrose rice. Either option will do the trick! Medium or short-grain rice is preferable because it cooks to a stickier consistency than long-grain rice, which is traditionally fluffier and useful in many other dishes.
Recommended Reading: What Does It Mean To Natural Release Instant Pot
Electric Pressure Cooker Rice
While we use an Instant Pot its technically an electric pressure cooker. Lets start with the basics of electric pressure cooker rice. Here is a simple how-to instant pot rice. Its super simple and the rice turns out amazing.
It reminds me of the steamed rice you get at Japanese restaurants!
Here are the 3 things you will need:
- Short-grain or medium-grain white rice
- Keep reading as we share our FAVORITE Japanese rice brands for making sticky and sushi rice
Cooking rice in the Instant Pot is super simple. Lets look at how to make rice in Instant Pot!
First, we need to determine how much rice you need to make.
What Kind Of Rice Makes The Best Sticky Rice
What kind of rice is used for glutinous rice? The type of rice needed is jasmine rice. Named for the sweet-smelling jasmine flower, it is grown in Thailand and its main characteristics are a slightly sweet and fragrant taste and a gooey, sticky texture. Try not to use other types of long grain rice.
Smart Program Cooking Option
You can also choose to select the RICE smart program button. This program cooks on low pressure and is best used for white rice. For rice with a firmer texture or thinner rice like Jasmine or Basmati, use the Less mode for rice with a normal texture or regular long-grain or medium-grain white rice, use the Normal mode for rice with a softer texture, use the More mode. You can change the modes by pressing the RICE button again. Use quick release at the end.
How To Serve Sushi Rice
This recipe is delicately flavored and easy to love, so you can think of it as a versatile component of easy meals. Got raw or cooked vegetables and a little leftover protein? Serve it over a bowl of Instant Pot sushi rice and call it dinner.
That said, here are some of our favorite ways to use it:
Recommended Reading: Does Instant Pot Have Slow Cooker
How Do You Cook 2 Cups Of Rice In The Instant Pan
Directions for use Rinse the rice. Combine the rice, water, salt and butter in the Instant Pot. Cook the rice under high pressure. Lock the lid and stop cooking on HIGH pressure for the following times: Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure, fluff and serve.
How To Make Perfect Sushi Rice In The Instant Pot
Close the lid and turn the valve to a sealing position. Press the Pressure Cook or Manual button and set the time to 4 minutes on HIGH pressure.
When the Instant Pot is done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes followed by a quick release to release the remaining steam.
Open the Instant Pot, remove the cooked rice from the Instant Pot, and serve!
Read Also: What Does Food Burn Mean On Instant Pot
Key Steps For Rice In The Instant Pot
- Rinse the rice before cooking. Rinsing rice before cooking removes any dirt from processing, gets rid of starch that can make the rice sticky, and, Ive found, makes the rice taste better. According to Instant Pots manual, rinsing the rice also makes up for the small amount of moisture lost in evaporation during the cooking process.
- Use the right ratio of rice to water. Instant Pot suggests any rice can be cooked with a one-to-one rice-to-water ratio, but during testing, we found this wasnt universally true both among Instant Pot models and other multi-cookers. Use slightly more water when cooking brown rice and wild rice to prevent undercooking and scorching. Plus, its better to err on the side of more water, since most rice varieties can be drained if theres excess moisture.
- Pressure cook the rice on high. Lock the lid in place and set to cook at HIGH pressure for the following times:
- White rice : 5 minutes
- Long-grain brown rice: 10 minutes
- Wild rice: 15 minutes
Why Do I Need To Rinse The Rice
If you take a look at the Instant Pot sushi rice recipe, youll notice I start with rinsing the rice. Its a step I never skip because water removes the starch that usually sits on the surface of the rice grain and it gives that gummy texture.
In addition, the rice absorbs the water during the rinsing process , which improves the cooking process. The result is fluffy and thoroughly cooked rice that sticks together without being mushy.
Rinsed rice also tastes better its almost like restaurant rice!
You May Like: Tamales En Instant Pot
Fluff & Add Sushi Vinegar
When there are around 5 minutes left on the 20-minutes natural release, cool the sushi vinegar by placing the saucepan in a sink filled with cold tap water.
Once cooled, remove the kombu from the sushi vinegar.
Gently transfer the sushi rice to a Hangiri Sushi Rice Barrel or large container.
Gently spread out the sushi rice with a Wooden Rice Paddle or plastic rice paddle.
*Pro Tip: Be very careful not to crush or press on the sushi rice because this may break the rice grain or make them mushy! Try using a slicing motion at a 45° angle.
Slowly pour and evenly distribute the sushi vinegar on every rice grain.
*Pro Tip: You can pour the sushi vinegar on the rice paddle to give it a more even spread.
Gently mix the sushi rice with the rice paddle.
*Pro Tip: We used a portable electric fan to cool off the sushi rice to room temperature simultaneously to give the sushi rice a beautiful shiny gloss.
Directions For How To Make Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- Get exclusive offers and promotions
- Earn points for every dollar spent unlock more benefits as you move up tiers
Recommended Reading: How Long To Pressure Cook Gizzards Instant Pot
How To Cook Sushi Rice In The Electric Pressure Cooker
You know what makes me so happy? SUSHI.
I still remember the first time I tried it.
I was in college, and Ill admit that I was totally freaked out by the idea of eating raw fish. But my boyfriend at the time insisted for weeks that I would love it.
After all, wasnt I a foodie? Didnt I want to try new flavors?
Finally, I caved and decided to forgo my usual shrimp tempura roll for some real sushi. I am pretty sure the first maki roll I ever ate was a simple spicy yellowtail, and it was amazing.
That first bite was an explosion of exquisite flavor that I just couldnt get over.
Ever since then, I have been hooked. I try to eat it at least once a week, and Ill be honest if I had it my way, I would eat it every day.
Heck, my husband and I traveled all the way to Japan because of my love for this delicious dish!
Of course, it can be an expensive habit to maintain, even if Im indulging just once a week. So I try to get my fix at home when I can.
As much as I might try to perfect the art of sushi at home, I know that even I have my limits. My skills dont lie in creating gorgeous rolls, so I like create fresh bowls instead because its so much easier.
But listen no matter your skill level, if you want to make your own sushi, sushi bowls, or any of the other ideas that Ill chat about later in this article, you can at least .
So, why do I prefer to make this recipe? Theres a simple reason:
Ready to learn how to make it yourself at home? Heres whats ahead:
Other Instant Pot Rice Recipes
After you try the shrimp sushi bowls, check out these recipes for more delicious rice dishes to make in your Instant Pot! Rice is actually one of the go-to things I make in the Instant Pot because its so easy and you can even cook other proteins in the one pot.
Here are some of my other favorite Instant Pot rice recipes:
Also Check: How To Cook Brussel Sprouts In Instant Pot
How To Cook Perfect Instant Pot Sushi Rice
These are some of the ingredients you will need to make the Perfect Sushi Rice!
One of the most useful tools for me is this Japanese Rice Washing Bowl, which is inexpensive and you will use it for washing fruits and veggies as well. It makes rinsing the rice so much easier!!! Must-have kitchen gadget!! Buy it below.
- Place rice in the Japanese Rice Washing Bowl or similar strainer.
- Rinse rice under running water for about 2 minutes or until water is clear.
- Drain all water.
- Transfer rice to Instant Pot.
- Add water. Use a 1:1 ratio for Rice to Water. If you cook 2 cups of rice add 2 cups of water.
- With a wooden spatula gently mix water and rice.
Use the RICE setting for 12 minutes.
After cook time, allow pressure to Naturally Release for 10 minutes.
- While your Sushi Rice is cooking, prepare the seasoning.
- In a small bowl combine white wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, salt, and sugar.
- Microwave for 1 minute and stir until completely dissolved.
- After your rice is cooked, transfer it to a glass dish.
- Use a wooden spoon to add vinegar mixture.
- Gently mix to combine.
You are now ready to
MAKE SOME ROLLS!
I know many people shy away from Sushi since they believe it means RAW FISH, it doesnt have to be. My family doesnt like RAW FISH, so I make SUSHI ROLLS with cooked ingredients.
Recently I have made two COOKED ingredients inside rolls: Shrimp Tempura Roll with Avocado and Volcano Roll with imitation crab meat.
Sushi Rice Pro Tips And Tricks
Follow these tips and tricks to make the best sushi rice:
- Make sure you rinse the rice without soaking the rice too much.
- Make sure to fully dissolve the sugar and salt into the vinegar before mixing with the rice. You could gently warm the vinegar to help it dissolve.
- If making sushi, allow the sushi rice to cool before serving.
- Dont over cook the rice, it can become mushy and get a bad texture.
- Dont scrape the rice that is stuck to the bottom. This is often burned or dried out and wont taste great.
- Use a wooden spoon to handle the rice, not a metal spoon. A metal spoon can damage the rice.
Don’t Miss: Reheat Tamales In Pressure Cooker
Should I Use The Rice Button On My Instant Pot
The Instant Pots rice button is best used for white rice, as it is specifically calibrated to weigh white rice and water and cook the rice accordingly. This is ideal for weeknights when you truly want to set and forget your rice, but not great for cooking different varieties of rice on the fly.
Luckily, you can use your Instant Pots manual pressure function to cook white, brown, or wild rice on high pressure in just a few minutes. Heres how to do it.
Components Of Perfect Sushi Rice
- Rice: Use rice thats meant for sushi. Medium to short grain white sushi rice is easy to find in most places. Using an electric rice cooker or pressure cooker will yield the best results.
- Rice to Water Ratio and Cook Time: When sushi rice is overcooked or cooked in too much water it will become mushy. When using a rice cooker, the ratio of rice to water is typically 1:2, but this can vary, so always check your appliances instructions. For the Instant Pot, the ratio is 1:1 1/4, as there is almost no evaporation. When doubling rice and grains in the Instant Pot, its best to reduce the amount of water after the first cup, so for this recipe which uses 2 cups of sushi rice, I use 2 cups of water. You can also halve this recipe and use 1 cup of rice. Simply use 1 cup of water and halve the vinegar ingredients.
- Cooking Method: An electric rice cooker or Instant Pot is the best method for cooking rice perfectly every time.
- Rice Vinegar: Look carefully at your bottle of rice wine vinegar, as there are two different types. Seasoned rice vinegar has sugar and salt added, while some others are made with rice and water only. You can use either type, but if using seasoned, you dont add the sugar and salt, you simply add it to the cooked rice as-is.
You May Like: Roast In Instant Pot Frozen