Which Variety Of Potatoes Do You Use To Make Pressure Cooker Potatoes
For these Pressure Cooker Potatoes, I used marble potatoes. I liked the variety of the baby purple, red and gold potatoes. I think that it makes a fun colorful dish. If you cant find the marble potatoes you could use baby red or yukon gold potatoes, just cut them into large bite size pieces.
As far as herbs go, I chose to use dill and chives. I think the two work really well together and give a bright flavor. Freeze dried herbs that worked great for this.
I love using freeze dried herbs because they give you lots of freshness like fresh herbs but they last SO much longer. I have seen a few different brands but I happened to pick up the Litehouse herbs at Costco. Ive been using them in everything. They make a great addition to dressings, sprinkled in pasta and of course, sprinkled on these Pressure Cooker Potatoes.
Note: Originally posted in 2017. Updated with a new video 2019.
What Are Instant Pot Potatoes
This method transforms starchy Russet potatoes into classic, creamy baked potatoes, begging to be split open and served with your favorite toppings.
With their tender, fluffy centers, Instant Pot potatoes are very similar to baked potatoes, but there are two key differences that set them apart: cook time and the outer skin. Since the Instant Pot cooks the potatoes in a closed vessel with steam pressure, cooking happens in a fraction of the time youd need in the oven. This also means, however, that the skin is soft rather than crisp. Trust me the trade-off is well worth it.
How Long To Cook Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
The cooking time varies by a few minutes, depending on the size of the russet potatoes. Initially, the pressure cooker takes about 5-7 minutes to build the pressure.
Set the Instant Pot to these cooking times, based on different sized potatoes.
- Small Potatoes 10 minutes HIGH pressure, natural release 8 minutes
- Medium Potatoes -12 minutes HIGH pressure, natural release 9 minutes
- Large Potatoes -13 minutes HIGH pressure, natural release 10 minutes
- Extra Large Potatoes 15 minutes HIGH pressure, natural release 11 minutes
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Displays Burn
How To Serve Baked Potatoes
Baked Potatoes are delicious with butter, salt and pepper, chives, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Crumbled bacon also makes a delicious topping!
But, we also love to make a baked potato bar, which features the potato as part of the main dish.
These Turkey Taco Potato Boats are exactly what they sound like, potatoes topped with all the taco fixings!
Buffalo Chicken is also delicious on top of a baked potato!
Top your potato with steamed broccoli and queso! So good and easy too.
How Long Does It Take To Boil Potatoes In An Instant Pot
The greatest advantage of boiling potatoes in the Instant Pot is that you don’t have to set multiple timers or adjust the heat while cooking – the Instant Pot simply does all the work for you. But time variances occur depending on the type and size of your potatoes.
The length of time it takes to cook potatoes in the Instant Pot is as follows:
- Baby Potatoes : Baby potatoes that are around 1 inch long will take about 5 mins with a Quick Release , or Natural Pressure Release .
- Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes : I consider medium potatoes to be about 2-2.5 inches long, which will take 6 minutes with QR or NPR. If your potatoes are really thick, then add another 1 minute to the cooking time.
- Russet : For large potatoes, around 4-5.5 inches long, pressure cook for 10 mins with QR or NPR. If the potatoes are extra large and really thick, then cook them for 12 minutes.
Note: These times result in a cooked through potato that will hold shape if sautéing, etc. For mashed potato consistency, add another 2 minutes.
Also Check: Liners For Instant Pot
Perfect Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
A foolproof recipe for easy Instant Pot Baked Potatoes. Learn how to cook perfect baked potatoes in your pressure cooker, plus how to make baked potatoes with crispy skins.
One of my go-to quick and easy weeknight meals is a simple baked potato bar. Our usual toppings include butter or sour cream, shredded cheese, roasted broccoli and sometimes chili. My family loves baked potatoes, especially since everyone can choose their own potato toppings!
Baked potatoes are a filling and nutritious meal that is also budget-friendly. Russet potatoes are a good source of protein, fiber, iron, magnesium and Vitamin C, as well as other vitamins and minerals.
Since Ive owned an Instant Pot pressure cooker, cooking baked potatoes in my Instant Pot is my preferred method. Its faster than cooking them in the oven and the potatoes always turn out fluffy and tender. Just like with my Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe and Instant Pot sweet potatoes, the Instant Pot works its magic on potatoes once again with these Perfect Instant Pot Baked Potatoes!
Besides being a delicious lunch or dinner on their own, baked potatoes are a good side dish to serve with baked salmon, steak, pork tenderloin or baked chicken thighs. You can cook your baked potatoes ahead of time and reheat them for an even faster meal.
If you are new to using an Instant Pot, you might find my post about how to use an Instant Pot helpful.
Baby Potatoes In Instant Pot
- Wash baby potatoes and remove any sprouts. It is not necessary to pierce with a fork since the potatoes are so small.
- Add the potatoes and 1 cup water in the Instant Pot , along with 1 teaspoon salt . Salt is optional, but it does season these potatoes well. Close the lid, vent set to sealing position. Set pressure cook or manual for 5 minutes at HIGH pressure.
- Once cooking time is up, release pressure carefully by turning the knob to ‘venting’ position in the Duo model, or pushing down on in the Ultra model. If not in a rush, you can wait 5-10 minutes to allow the steam to release naturally.
- Open the lid when the pin drops and check for doneness by inserting a knife in the center of one of the larger potatoes . Remove potatoes to prevent overcooking, and set aside to cool.
You May Like: Pressure Cooker Brussel Sprouts
Make Fast Easy And Fluffy Baked Potatoes
Make Instant Pot baked potatoes to enjoy perfectly tender and fluffy baked potatoes in a fraction of the time! Cook whole potatoes in the pressure cooker, and piping hot baked potatoes are ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.
For an additional five minutes transform those fast and fluffy potatoes into ones with perfectly roasted, crispy, seasoned skins.
If you love the convenience of pressure cooking, you will love this recipe! Smother them with cheese sauce or your favorite toppings for a perfect side dish!
Why This Recipe For Loaded Potato Soup Works
- Its a hands-off, quick and easy, 30-minute soup recipe.
- A homemade potato bacon soup is so much healthier than anything store-bought.
- So much flavour in this thick and creamy soup.
- Flexible ingredients mean you can play around with some of the seasonings, and pick and choose what toppings you want to add.
- Gluten-free and can be made dairy-free and vegetarian if preferred.
- Makes great leftovers for lunch or an easy dinner idea the next day.
You May Like: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Pork Roast In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
These Instant Pot potatoes are so simple to make. Youll start by scrubbing your potatoes. Then, prick the potatoes a few times with a fork. Pricking the potatoes will allow steam and pressure to escape from the potatoes as they cook.
Place 1 cup of cold water in your Instant Pot. Cold water is recommended because the water temperature will affect how long it takes your Instant Pot to reach pressure, and therefore how long your potatoes will cook.
Next, place the metal trivet in your Instant Pot. You want to cook the potatoes on top of the trivet so that they dont sit in the water and get soggy.
Place the potatoes on top of the trivet. It is okay if your potatoes are stacked on top of each other in the pot. Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the steam release valve to the sealing position.
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes With Your Instant Pot
I think potatoes are best cooked the day you want to serve them.
However, to simplify things, you can cook them a few hours before you wish to eat them. After mashing, return them to your cooking pot on the keep warm setting, or transfer them to a crock pot set to the lowest setting.
Be sure to spray the pot with nonstick cooking spray or rub on a little oil to prevent sticking.
If theyll be warming for a few hours, add a little more milk on top of the potatoes in the pot to make sure the tops dont dry out.
Recommended Reading: How To Know When Instant Pot Is Done
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Plain Pasta
What Are The Best Potatoes For Mashed Potatoes
I like to use Russet or Yukon gold potatoes for classic mashed potatoes. They have a buttery flavor and are higher in starch, making fluffier mashed potatoes. Waxy potatoes, like red potatoes or some white varieties, can become gluey when mashed. If you are going to mash them lightly, pretty much any variety will work. I particularly like red potatoes cooked and mashed with the skins on.
More Instant Pot Recipes To Love
- Thick and creamy Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup is a healthier and naturally gluten free broccoli cheddar soup prepared in only 15 minutes!
- Corned Beef and Cabbage is flavored with brown sugar, mustard, and apple juice can be cooked in the crock pot or instant pot.
- Instant Pot French Dip has tender roast beef flavored with onions, smothered in melted cheese, and a rich flavorful au jus to dip in.
- Make Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls on the stove top, Instant Pot, or slow cooker. Serve it with rice for a hearty weeknight family dinner, or transform it into a slimmed down low carb meal!
- A family favorite of ours is to top baked potatoes with these Instant Pot Sloppy Joes and smother it with melted cheese!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot Duo
How To Steam Potatoes In The Instant Pot
It is as easy as it gets. Just place the potatoes on a trivet. Add some water to the pot. Hit the Steam button. Adjust the time based on the size of the potatoes. It usually takes between 8 to 15 minutes depending on size of potatoes. For potatoes about 7 oz in weight, I steamed for 10 minutes. If potatoes are about 9 oz, then steam for 12 minutes. You get the idea!
Serve Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Slice the potatoes from one end to the other end.
Finally, sprinkle your favorite toppings on your Instant Pot Baked Potatoes such as unsalted butter, sour cream, grated mozzarella cheese, grated smoked cheddar cheese, finely sliced green onions, bacon bits, salt & ground black pepper. Serve & enjoy!
*Pro Tip: If you want to kick your Instant Pot Baked Potatoes up a notch, you must try these Twice Baked Potatoes!!
You May Like: How To Convert Slow Cooker Recipe To Instant Pot
What Is The Texture Of These Instant Pot Potatoes
- After many batches of potatoes trialed in the Instant Pot, we discovered that pressure cooking is better at braising than at roasting. In fact, it does a spectacular job at braising these baby potatoes.
- Because the Instant Pot requires a bit of liquid during cook time, it produces extremely tender, flavorful potatoes with a delicious, naturally occurring sauce to spoon over your finished dish.
- If you prefer your potatoes crispy on the outside, you can place them in a single layer under the broiler just until the exterior turns crisp. It wont take long, so youll want to watch your broiler closely.
P.S. Because Im becoming an Instant Pot freak, youl find a mini roundup of IP faves below. Enjoy
How To Cook Potatoes In Instant Pot
Boil or cook potatoes in Instant Pot is very quick and easy method.
Potato is the most versatile vegetable that can be paired with any other veggies. It is staple food in Indian kitchen at least in my kitchen. I make many sabzi, curry, tikki using potato. And of course many non-Indians also use potatoes in like potato salad, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes etc.
I used to boil the potato in my traditional pressure cooker where I have keep track of number of whistles and need to stay there to turn off the stove once ready. But when we cook potatoes in Instant pot, we dont have to worry about counting whistles. In short, you dont need to be present there while it is cooking.
Actually most of the times, I use delay start to cook potatoes in Instant pot. For example, I need boiled potatoes in the morning to make sabzi for lunch-box or to make aloo paratha for breakfast. So the night before, I adjust the delay start and the hot, boiled potatoes are ready when I get into the kitchen next morning. This is such a time-saver. Owning an Instant pot is such a blessing!!!
Read Also: How To Steam In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes is the easiest and fastest way to cook a baked potato. This method is perfect for making a loaded baked potato, or for use in Gnocchi or Creamy Potato Salad. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
We love Instant Pot Recipes from Instant Pot Whole Chicken to Instant Pot Beets. These recipes will save you time and make cooking easier. If you are a fan of the instant pot, youll love making baked potatoes in the instant pot.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
How Long Do You Cook Baked Potatoes In An Instant Pot
The pressure cooking time depends on the size of your potatoes. I have tested out lots of different potatoes of varying sizes to determine these cook times. It is important to cook potatoes that are roughly the same size so that they will cook in the same amount of time.
Small Potatoes : 12 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
Medium Potatoes : 16 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
Large Potatoes : 20 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release
When Im not sure about the cook time for my exact size of potatoes, I always err on the side of adding an extra minute or two to the cook time. Id rather end up with softer potatoes than under-cooked potatoes and have to do a second pressure cooking cycle.
You May Like: Pressure Cooker Recall
Potatoes With Crispy Seasoned Skins
When cooking baked potatoes in an Instant Pot you lose those glorious crispy skins, but use this 5 MINUTE HACK for crispy, seasoned Instant Pot Baked Potato skins!
A Ricer Is Your Friend
In the past, I have talked about potato ricers on this blog. They are your friend. By taking the time to put your potatoes through a ricer you break them down and keep them from getting gummy we arent making bears!
If you dont have that is fine. Just dont work the potatoes too much. You can whip them quickly with a hand mixer if you want. The ricer also helps remove the skins if your not a fan of peeling potatoes.
You May Like: How To Reheat Chili In Instant Pot
Best Potatoes For Making Mashed Potatoes
You can make this recipe with Yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoesthey have the same cook time in the pressure cooker.
Russet potatoes have a high starch content and make fluffy, wonderful mashed potatoes. The official Idaho Potato page recommends Idaho Russet Burbank potatoes.
Yukon golds are said to have a more buttery flavor than white potatoes like russets. Theyre not quite as fluffy.
Lately, when I cook mashed potatoes, I like to use a mix of russets and Yukon golds to get the best of both worldsflavor from the Yukon and fluffiness from the russets.
How To Make Mashed Potatoes In An Instant Pot
Quick tip: Dont overwork your potatoes in the mashing process or they could turn gummy. Mash them just enough to get a smooth, creamy final product.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Pumpkin In Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: Tamales In Ninja Foodi