Making Pressure Cooker Corn On The Cob In An Instant Pot
An Instant Pot is one of the most popular brands of electric pressure cookers. They are easy to use and your Instant Pot can help you create this delicious Pressure Cooker Corn on the Cob! ;It really is quicker and easier than the stove top.;
To show you just how quick and easy corn on the cob is in your Instant Pot, I made this short video.;
How To Make Pressure Cooker Corn On The Cob
Using A Pressure Cooker
Sooooo, Im not a huge fan of grilled corn. I like mine steamed with butter and salt. Its simple and brings out the flavor.;Equally important, it tastes amazing when you cook it in an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
No more waiting for the water to boil so you can drop in your corn. No more soggy Corn on the Cob sitting in the pot. Instead, just set the Instant Pot;and let it do its thing.
Read Also: How To Cook Chicken Breast In An Instant Pot
Best Toppings And Seasonings For Corn On The Cob
Looking for toppings for corn on the cob? Honestly, I prefer my corn on the cob served the classic wayjust slathered in butter with a bit of salt and pepper. Steaming the corn in the pressure cooker really lets the sweet corn flavor to come through and makes it a perfect side for barbecue baby back ribs, beef brisket, or burgers.
However, mixing up your corn on the cob has become super popular lately. Between food trucks and state fairs, there are some amazing flavor combinations out there!
In my state, at the Utah State Fair, we have a truck that serves fresh corn on the cob with lemon butter and Parmesan cheese.
The Arkansas State Fairs serves bacon-wrapped corn on the cob. Id make it easy to eat and serve by sauteing diced bacon in your pressure cooking pot. Once the bacon is crisp, remove it from the cooking pot and set aside. Wipe out the pot and then start the corn on the cob recipe. But if you really want to wrap your corn, Id try steaming it for 1 minute in the pressure cooker, then wrapping it in bacon and finishing it on the grill like in my BBQ Bacon Cheese Hot Dog recipe.
At the Minnesota State Fair, you can order Cheesy Nacho Corn on the Cob, coated with crushed Doritos and drizzled with nacho cheese.
Many state fairs from New York to Texas also offer Mexican Street Fair corn, aka Elote, made with crema mexicana, queso fresco, cilantro, and lime.
Step By Step Recipe Photo Tutorial
Please check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact quantities and detailed instructions;.
Don’t Miss: How To Instant Pot Chicken Breast
Tips For Best Instant Pot Corn
- Remove husk from corn before cooking if youd prefer, but it still works when you keep it on.
- Snap corn in halves to fit more into the pot, especially for 3 quart and if making lots of corn for a crowd.
- Set Instant Pot outside to cook and vent to keep the kitchen cool. 99% chances you will be cooking corn in summer!
- Keep corn warm all day in Instant Pot with Keep Warm feature as nobody likes cold corn. This is my favourite function for this recipe.
Instant Pot Corn On The Cob Video
Check out my step-by-step video on how to make Corn on the Cob on YouTube. And please subscribe to my YouTube channel and click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when I post a new video.
Once you try Instant Pot Corn, you will agree that it is the BEST method for cooking fresh summer corn! Enjoy this easy, fast method,and be sure to leave a comment and review below.
Read Also: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
What To Do With Old Starchy Corn
It happens to the best of us. Even with the above pointers, you can still end up with bland starchy corn. Additionally, sometimes our ambitions are greater than the energy we have to cook everything we buy, even with the best of intentions.
Have no fear, you can still save this corn. The key is to cook on high heat, such as in an Instant Pot.
Usually, I would say to keep the husks on as they can protect the kernels from drying out. However, cooking shucked cobs with a little water under high pressure will ensure they stay sweet and hydrated.
Another way to boost the flavour of lacklustre corn is to cook it with dairy. Corn loves fatjust think of all that butter slathered on a cob and try not to drool. Experiment with compound butters flavoured with your favourite herbs and spices for a variety of corn side dishes.
Then, theres Mexican Street Corn and Esquites. This street food classic is slathered with mayonnaise or crema and cheese! Its practically irresistible, right?
I also like to add corn to my Scalloped Potatoes along with a generous top layer of cheese. The casserole dish gets picked clean every time!
How To Keep Corn On The Cob Fresh
If you plan to cook corn the same day you bought them leave the corn at room temperature.
Are planning to store them for more days, keep the husks on, wrap the corn in a plastic or zip bag, and store in your refrigerator for 3 days.
Dont remove the husks at the store if you are not cooking the corn the same day.;
You May Like: What To Make In An Instant Pot
Ways To Flavor Corn On The Cob
- Butter and Salt: Stick to the classic and season the grilled corn with butter and salt.
- Cilantro Lime Corn: Roll the corn in butter that has been seasoned with fresh lime zest and juice and then sprinkle with cilantro and queso fresco.
- Mexican Street Corn: Spread mayonnaise on corn, sprinkle with chili powder, and a drizzle of Mexican crema.
- Fresh Herbs: Brush the corn on the cob with yogurt, butter, or mayonnaise and sprinkle with chopped parsley, chopped chives, or chopped fresh dill.
- Parmesan: Spread the corn with butter or brush with extra virgin olive oil and grate fresh Parmesan cheese over the corn.
How Long Do You Steam An Ear Of Corn
- About 15 minutes once the water comes to a boil.
- This method takes about 10 minutes total
- which means its a time saver
- and its kinda a set it and go method
** Note Cook times may vary very slightly if you are cooking very large cobs that are frozen.; Otherwise this should turn out perfect every time using these times.
You can also make air fryer corn which is a close second to how well this turns out.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! Take a peek and see how many you might already havetwinsies!
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and !
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it.
Here is a printable version for fresh or frozen Instant Pot corn on the cob
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Tapioca Pearls In Instant Pot
How To Purchase Corn On The Cob
The best corn on the cob is the freshest corn you can find. Try to avoid buying corn that has been out in the sun all day. Here are some tips to help you choose the best corn on the cobs!
- Husks: fresh, bright green color , tightly wrapped around the cob
- Kernels:;bright, plump, milky, tightly arranged in rows
- Corn Silk: soft, moist, silky, light;golden pale , slightly sticky, the more silk the better.
- Stems : if its already brown its most likely not fresh. Try to choose ones with stems that are still moist.
How Do You Steam Corn In The Instant Pot
This is easy! Put the trivet in the bottom of the pot, and add a cup of water. Then, place the corn into the pot. By placing the corn on top of the trivet, it will allow the corn to steam in the Instant Pot instead of boiling it.;
Two minutes on high pressure is all that it takes to cook corn on the cob!
Don’t Miss: How To Sterilize Bottles In Instant Pot
Some Tasty Ways To Enjoy Your Instant Pot Corn On The Cob Are:
- Just butter and salt
Instant Pot Corn on the Cob is the easiest recipe I make in my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker! It comes out just perfectly cooked. Pressure cooker corn on the cob is easy and fast!
- 1-10earsCorn on the Cob
Cut the ends off of the ears of corn . Shuck it if you want to.
Place the trivet in the pot, and pour in 1 1/2 cups of water
Stack the ears of corn in the pot. Close the lid and set the steam release knob to the sealing position.
Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button or dial, then the + or – button or dial to select 2 minutes .;
When the cooking cycle is finished, turn the steam release knob to the Venting position to do a Quick Release of the pressure.
When the pin in the lid drops down, open the lid and carefully remove the corn. Slather with butter and sprinkle with salt, and enjoy!
Arrange Corn In The Instant Pot
Place the metal trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot and add one to two cups of water. Arrange each cob in the Instant Pot so that they are standing up on their ends.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, ensuring the silicon seal is in position and the pressure release is in the sealing position.
Set the Instant Pot timer to manual and high pressure, then pressure cook for 4 minutes. Immediately quick release the pressure after the four minutes of cook time.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Prepare And Store Corn On The Cob
- Peel the husks and silk from your corn right before cooking.
- Trim the ends of the cobs if needed to help them fit in the Instant Pot.
- If you must store your corn before pressure cooking, leave the husks on and keep refrigerated to slow down the conversion of sugars to starch.
- Corn retains its sugars when frozen. If freezing, blanch the corn first . Frozen sweet corn reheats on the soft side, but I find it better than nothing in the middle of winter!
Hip Pressure Cooker Corn Tips
- One to many -Use the method described below to steam one or however many corn cobs will fit in your pressure cooker . Dont crowd them, leave some room between the corn so the steam can get in there and cook the kernels. The cooking time remains the same whether youre pressure cooking one or twelve ears.
- Last minute;;Keep corn at its freshest by waiting until just before cooking to husk. Then, wash it well before dropping into the pressure cooker.
- Snap to fit ;If the cob is too tall, just snap in half and stand each end into the cooker. The corn tips can go over the pressure cookers max line as long they dont interfere with the valves and safety systems if youre not sure what this means, then just ;snap the corn to fit below the max line.
- Old corn;Not-so-fresh corn will need a longer pressure cooking time because the kernels become tougher and less sweet as the corn ages.
- Tough wait To keep the corn warm after cooking without overcooking it until youre ready to serve.
Also Check: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
Accessories For Making Corn On The Cob In The Pressure Cooker
I really love my stainless-steel steamer basket for making corn on the cob in a pressure cooker. It has a big pop-up handle in the middle that unscrews so you can fit beautiful full-size corn on the cob inside your 6-quart pressure cooker.
Or if youd rather not remove the handle, you can use a green silicone steamer basket that has handles to help you quickly remove your corn from the pressure cooking pot.;
While I like to use a steamer basket, you can also stack the corn on the trivet that came with your Instant Pot.
To get corn out of your electric pressure cooker, I like to use the red silicone mini mitts to just grab the individual ears of corn and put them on a platter. However, if thats too hot for you, canning jar tongs actually work really well.;
How To Cook Corn On The Cob In An Electric Pressure Cooker
The recipe for corn on the cob in the electric pressure cooker, you will need whole or half corn ears and one cup of water.
I would prep at least two ears of corn and up to six, depending on the size of your pressure cooker. A six-quart model will fit five or six corn cobs.
Add about one cup of water to the Instant Pot or pressure cooker – enough to cover the bottom well and produce steam. You may need 1.5 cups for an 8-quart pressure cooker.
Put in your steamer basket – I like to use the metal trivet because I can fit more corn
Stack the corn the best way to fit them all in – one way is to have them pointing up in the pot – just make sure the lid can still fit
Put on the lid and lock it then turn the knob to SEALING
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes
When finished do a quick release by moving the sealing knob to the VENTING positon
Corn can overcook and have a canned corn taste if it is left on the cob for too long in the Instant Pot. The easiest way to dodge this is to turn off the keep warm mode of the Instant Pot before doing a quick release. You can keep the corn warm with residual heat by returning the lid.
Now you are ready to serve perfectly cooked corn from a pressure cooker – so much better than opening a can of creamed corn.
Read Also: What Is Instant Pot Natural Release
Ninja Foodi Corn On The Cob
Lets start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
- If fresh corn on the cob isnt in season I opt for something like this.
- Mini ears of corn in the freezer section are super cheap and are the perfect size for little hands.
I will say I prefer fresh, of course, but we live in an area where it snows so during the Winter time they can be expensive. AND lets just say I am frugal
How To Choose The Best Sweet Corn
The best corn on the cob is fresh with plump, sweet kernels. I like to buy my corn on the cob at the farmers market whenever possible because I know it will be the freshest. To pick the best ears of corn, follow these steps:
You dont need to peek! Its common practice to peel back the husks at the top of corn to check the tip of the corn cob. Opening up the husk in this way shortens the shelf life of your corn. You can choose delicious sweet corn by following the steps above, no peeking required.
You May Like: How To Know When Instant Pot Is Done