Season & Thicken Soup
First, press the Saute button, then bring the black eyed peas back to a full boil.
Now, stir with a ladle to thicken the black eyed pea soup.
*Note: The longer you boil the soup, the thicker it will be. The soup will thicken a bit as well once it chills to serving temperature.
*Pro Tip: If you prefer serving the black eyed peas as a stew, boil the soup for a longer time.;
Add the kale in Instant Pot, then let the black eyed pea soup boil for 3 4 minutes.
Finally, taste the black-eyed peas and adjust the seasoning with more salt and black pepper.
*For Reference: We used 4 pinches of salt to properly season the Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas.
What Is Black Eyed Peas
Black-eyed pea is a type of bean thats creamy yellow-white in color with black eyes on one side.
Theyre also known as black-eyed beans, cowpea, or goat peas. Despite the name, black-eyed peas are actually beans, not peas!
Black eyed peas are extremely nourishing & highly nutritious rich in fiber and protein.
In the American South, black-eyed peas and greens are considered a Lucky New Year food that brings prosperity in the new year.
Instant Pot: Goan Black
This Instant Pot recipe is adapted from my book;The Indian Slow Cooker, page 95. If you don’t have this essential and classic guide to Indian food in your crock pot, why not? And if you do have it and love it as so many of you have told me, please do consider writing a review on Amazon. We authors live for your reviews. Why do I promote slow cookers, electric pressure cookers and stovetop Dutch ovens like my favorite Le Creuset? Because I do not believe that there is just one way to cook. If you love cooking, you love anything that enables you to get that delicious meal in front of your family. Every day is different in our home, and everyday requires different techniques in the kitchen.
Enjoy this latest Instant Pot recipe. Here is what I’ve tweaked from the slow cooker version. I’ve added a dollop of tamarind puree – this is the tart form of tamarind – not the sweetened chutney. So, it adds an even more complex layer of flavor. I also increased the red chile to add a little heat. Other than that it’s the same and as – if not more – delicious.;
Goan Black-Eyed PeasPressure Cooker Size: 3Q or largerWarm Up: 16 minutesCool Down: 10 minutes plus manual release timeTOTAL: 56 minutes plus manual release timeMakes: 7 cups
1. Soak black-eyed peas;in boiled, hot water for at least 1 hour. Drain and discard the water. Set aside.
2. Place the inner cooking pot in your Instant Pot. Select the SAUTE setting and adjust to MORE. When the indicator flashes HOT, add oil.
Don’t Miss: What Is L000 On Instant Pot
How To Make Fresh Purple Hull Peas In The Instant Pot
Nothing beats the taste of fresh peas for a Southern recipe in the summer except fresh peas prepared in the Instant Pot!; Let me warn you once you try cooking in the Instant Pot you wont want to go back to your old cooking methods.; See recipe below and try it out for yourself; to;see how easy and delicious it is!
Pressure Cook Black Eyed Peas
First, add in ½ tsp fine salt and the remaining chicken stock, then give it a quick stir.
Then, add pork hock pieces in Instant Pot.
Add in 1lb black eyed peas, then make sure theyre fully submerged in the cooking liquid.
Finally, if youre using green collards, add them to Instant Pot here.
*Note: However, if youre using Kale, dont add them yet at this step.
Close lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing position.
Pressure Cooking Methods:
- For Beans With a Bit of Chew: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes + Natural Release for 15 minutes
- For Tender Beans: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 14 minutes + Natural Release for 20 minutes
After 15 or 20 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning Venting Knob to Venting Position.
When Floating Valve drops, open the lid carefully.
Also Check: How To Cook Chicken Tenders In Instant Pot
Add Flavor With Broth Bouillon And Stock
I like to add a variety of broth/stock to give flavor to these peas. For a milder flavor, use chicken or vegetable broth. For a richer flavor, use beef. Here are several options for adding flavor with broth/stock.;
- Better Than Bouillon Base. This is a thick, concentrated paste that adds deep rich flavor. You can add a teaspoonful to the pot if you have enough liquid to dissolve it. You can also boil water, add the bouillon, and stir for a homemade broth taste.
- Bouillion cubes. I keep chicken and beef cubes on hand to crumble into peas and beans when they need flavor. Knorr is the brand I like, but there are myriad options.
- Bone broth. Bone broth is more concentrated with flavor and nutrients than regular broth and stock. It has protein and calcium and is the best choice for a healthy broth. I always try to keep small cartons on hand to add to peas and beans.
- Stock and broth. The old tried and true Swanson broth and stock will do the job; however, it is much richer when mixed with some of the other options listed above.
Healthy Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Curry
Delicious and healthy Instant pot Black Eyed Peas Curry , spices and tomatoes. Flavorful yet simple recipe goes well with bowl of rice or any flat bread.
If you are looking for simple and healthy Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Curry, then here is your solution. This recipe only requires olive oil and no broth or coconut milk and is still delicious and perfect with bowl of rice or any kind of flat bread. ;This is made with my one and only sauce for all the beans curry recipes.
Best part is that you can also make it on a stove top using a pressure cooker or with soup pot. ;
Why Black-Eyed Peas?
Black Eyed peas has been eaten as southern tradition during the first day of New year to bring good luck. In India also Black-Eyed peas are considered auspicious and is served as an offering to God especially during the Navaratri festival in South India. We call Karamani in Tamil and Vella payaru in Malayalam and Lobia in Hindi. ;Even though it is native of Northern Africa, it travelled all over the world through the colonial trade.
Health Benefits of Black Eyed Peas:
Like any other beans, Black Eyed Peas are excellent source of protein and soluble fiber. ;it is a;complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids.
Daily intake of peas such Black Eyed peas and chickpeas helps you in the diabetic management as well as weight loss thanks to its fiber content and slow-digesting carbohydrates that helps keep hunger pangs away.
Points to Remember
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Potatoes In Instant Pot
What Can I Add To Black Eyed Peas For Flavor
Garlic and onion this common kitchen duo is commonly used to add flavor to black eyed peas. Garlic is either chopped or minced to release the pungent flavor. Chopped onion is used to release sweetness, especially if it is sautéed first. Together, they combine to add flavor and enhance the overall dish.
How To Make The Best Southern
Todays vegan Instant Pot black eyed peas recipe comes just in time for those of us who follow the Southern tradition of eating black eyed peas, collard greens, and cornbread on New Years Day.
This recipe is easy to make and yields deliciously smoky and flavorful plant-based black eyed peas. A healthy and easy vegan soul food recipe thats gluten free, soy free, low fat, and high in protein and fiber.
The great thing about this vegan black eyed peas recipe is that it can be used to make a side dish to go with your favorite comfort foods, or as a standalone main course think a simpler version of a classic chili.
Dont have an Instant Pot? These black eyed peas can be made on stovetop scroll down to see the stovetop cooking instructions.
This recipe is a part of my collection of healthy vegan recipes made with easy to find vegan pantry staples you most likely have at home right now.
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Can You Cook Frozen Black Eyed Peas In Instant Pot
cookingInstant PotyouYou canfrozen blackeyed peasblack eyed peasyou docook
If using frozen, leave on counter to come to room temperature or step 4 will take longer to come to pressure. Put ham bones, onion peel and bay leaves in a pressure cooker with 6 cups of water. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes and let steam release naturally .
Also Know, can you cook dried black eyed peas in instant pot? How long to cook dried black–eyed peas in the Instant Pot. I cooked mine for 30 minutes on high pressure, plus 30 minutes of natural release .
Likewise, people ask, how long do you cook frozen Black Eyed Peas in pressure cooker?
You can also use frozen black–eyed peas or canned black eyed peas in this recipe. If you do that, set your IP to pressure cook for 10 minutes, instead of the chili setting.
Are Frozen Black Eyed Peas already cooked?
Frozen Beans: You can use dried black–eyed peas or frozen black–eyed peas. Frozen black–eyed peas offer the convenience of not having to soak the beans as they are already hydrated and ready to cook. If you’re not used to cooking with dried beans, I recommend using frozen.
How To Cook Black Eyed Peas On The Stove
1) Rinse black eyed peas with warm water.
2) In a pot, add vegetable oil then garlic and chopped onions. Sautee for 2 minutes before adding ginger, paprika, seasoning and cayenne/chilli.
3) Add broth, salt, washed beans and bell peppers. Stir and cover the pot with its lid.
4) Cook on medium heat for 90 minutes or till beans tender.
5) Take off heat
This is the part where I mash some of the beans for a creamy sauce. love it!
Serve and enjoy with sides of choice.
Also Check: How To Slow Cook In The Instant Pot
Black Eyed Peas In The Instant Pot
2cups dried black eyed peas
1Tbls. olive oil
Sortand whirl 2 cups black-eyed peas, dry In a large mixing basin, cover the peaswith water and soak overnight.
Drainthe water, then rinse and drain again.
Putpeas in your instant pot’s silver pot.
5cups of water should be added on top.
Stirin a tablespoon of olive oil and another tablespoon of salt.
Placethe lid on top. Set the top valve to the sealingposition.
For35 minutes, press the “beans” button or set to manual. When the timerruns out, it will beep.
Afterthat, allow the pressure to naturally dissipate for 15 minutes before releasingany residual pressure by pushing the valve to the vent position with a bigslotted spoon.
Carefullyremove the top, remove the silver pot, taste, and season with extra salt orpepper if desired before serving.
How To Cook Black Eyed Peas In Instant Pot
1) Rinse beans in warm water.
2) Set the instant pot to saute then add oil in the pot of the instant pot. Add in minced garlic and chopped onions then saute for few minutes.
3) Add paprika, seasoning, ginger and chilli/cayenne pepper then cancel saute function of the instant pot.
4) Add broth in the instant pot and scrape to deglaze the instant pot then add salt, washed beans and bell peppers. Stir and cover instant pot with lid and set valve to sealing position.
5) Set instant pot to manual pressure cook high for 35 minutes and when cooking time is done, do 10 minutes natural pressure release.
6) Once instant pot is depressurised, open the lid and stir beans.
This is the part where i mash some of the beans for creamy sauce. love it!
Serve and enjoy.
Don’t Miss: How To Know When Instant Pot Is Done
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Ingredients
Black Eyed Peas Hailing from West Africa, black eyed peas are actually beans, and they are a staple in Southern soul food. A traditional New Years meal in the South consists of black eyed peas and collard greens the beans symbolize prosperity and eating them on New Years Day supposedly brings good luck and good health in the new year. Of course, theyre perfect to eat any day theyre a great source of fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
Bay Leaves These herbs have a scent similar to oregano and thyme, and help bring out the other flavors and spices in a dish. Dried bay leaves have a more intense flavor than fresh bay leaves.
Can You Make This Bean And Rice Dish Ahead Of Time
Yes! You can absolutely serve this as soon as youve made it, but the taste the next day is so much richer, so feel free to make it the day before! Once it has cooled, transfer the Hoppin John to an airtight container and keep refrigerated. It will keep well for up to 4 days and can be reheated gently on the stovetop.
How Long Can You Safely Store Cooked Southern
After cooking Southern-style peas, they can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For best results, reheat just the amount of leftover peas you plan to eat. Reheating a whole container of cooked peas over and over is not best. The peas will dry out, and the quality will deteriorate with multiple reheating.
What Others Are Saying
Lisa Clemmons says:
Excellent recipe. I used ham and some bacon rather than ham hocks…Also used ground thyme instead of fresh…worked just fine.
Liz McCain says:
I used smoked ham shanks instead of ham hocks and it turned out great! I also added more seasonings and used bacon fat to sauté the onion. Mine turned out slightly overdone, so next time Ill only let it naturally release for 12-13 minutes.. All in all, it was awesome and Ill definitely make it again!
Carole Osieczanek says:
You May Like: Which Instant Pot To Get
Recipe For Pressure Cooked Black Eyed Peas In No Time In The Instant Pot
Place beans inside of your pot. Then pour in all of your broth. We used chicken broth, but vegetable or beef froth would also be tasty depending on your desires.
Set the time for manual / Pressure cook for 40 minutes. We used a 3 quart instant pot, but any size will do, the smaller the pot, the faster to pressurize and depressurize.
Let it cook and naturally release pressure. And serve it up to the family for good luck in the new year or good health all the year through!
Try Our Other Instant Pot Recipes:
Place lid on top. Set valve on top to sealing position.
Press the “beans” button or set to manual for 35 minutes. It will beep when the time is up.
Afterwards let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure by using a large slotted spoon to nudge the valve to the vent position.
Carefully take the top off, remove the silver pot, taste and add more salt or pepper if you wish and serve.
You May Like: How To Cook Pumpkin In Instant Pot
Why Is Eating Black Eyed Peas On New Years Day Considered Good Luck
The tradition to eat black eyed peas on New Years Day comes to us from the Southern United States. There are a few versions of how this tradition was started.
According to Southern superstitions, having black eyed peas, collard greens and cornbread on New Years Day dinner will bring you prosperity and luck.
Black eyed peas symbolize coins; collard greens and cornbread are symbols of paper money and gold respectively.
How To Make Instant Pot Hoppin John
- Heat oil in the Instant Pot using the Sauté function.
- Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add the thyme, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt. Stir.
- Add the garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, bay leaves, balsamic vinegar, bacon, and ham hock.
- Stir in the black-eyed peas.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and lock it. Set the steam release knob to the Sealing position. Cancel the Sauté function.
- Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button and cook for 17 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cooking cycle has ended and the pot beeps, let it sit undisturbed for 15 minutes , then turn the steam release knob to the Venting position to release the remaining steam/pressure.
- When the pin in the lid drops down, open it, and give the contents a stir. Discard bay leaves and ham hock. Serve warm over rice.
Also Check: Can You Can With An Instant Pot