Trader Joes Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you have bought a tub of this at the grocery store and heated it at home, its pretty good. Making it fresh at home though is another animal. I think the biggest difference is the consistency and texture of the meat.
Sitting in the sauce on the shelf makes it much softer and comes in small shredded pieces. I like larger chunks, and fresher.
You can see our leftovers here. It is a great next day, I dont want to throw this meat away, treat or make it on purpose with a rotisserie chicken. If you go this route you can make two dishes..this and our Instant Pot chicken and rice for dinner too.
If you want to make a version with mayonnaise instead of cream cheese, follow our dairy free buffalo chicken dip recipe instead.
Then you will want things like crackers, celery sticks, small cuts of carrots, pretzel rods and sliced bruschetta for serving. You could use a ladle when its done to serve some inside small ramekins with these items on individual charcuterie boards. Everyone will get a real kick out of that for sure!
Pressure Cook For 12 Minutes With Quick Release Pressure
Again, different Instant Pot models or pressure cookers may affect the cook time. Check your chicken to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF before shredding. If you vent your pressure cooker at the 12-minute mark and the chicken is not fully cooked, you can simply reseal and cook for another minute or two.
Ingredient Notes And Shopping Tips
- Chicken: Rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe. You can also use leftover shredded chicken. Avoid canned chicken which can contain too much liquid leading to a soupy dip.
- Hot Sauce: I like using Franks Buffalo sauce.
- Cheese: I used Colby Jack. Feel free to use your favorite. Bleu cheese would be yummy too.
- Cream Cheese: Use full-fat ingredients for the best results.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Instant Pot
- 1 lb chicken breast, uncooked
- 1/2 12 ounce bottle Franks RedHot Buffalo Sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Ranch Dressing Mix packet
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Additional 1/4-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Sliced Green onions
Add hot sauce, water and ranch dressing packet to the Instant Pot and mix.
Add chicken and cover with the sauce.
Put lid on, set to sealing and cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes. If you are using frozen chicken, set it for 20-25 minutes .
Once timer goes off, let it naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes and then quick pressure release the rest.
Shred chicken. I did it directly in the pot, but you could remove it to shred.
Once chicken is shredded, stir around to make sure its covered.
Add cream cheese and shredded cheese mixture and mix until everything is combined and creamy.
Change the Instant Pot to sauté and stir until desired consistency.
At this point, you could either:
- Serve it as is
- Place in an oven-safe dish
- Or use an Air Fryer lid.
If you want to use an Air Fryer lid, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and cook at 400 for about five minutes.
If you want to put it in the oven, heat your oven to 350 degrees, pour the dip into an oven-safe dish, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and bake for ten minutes. Broil for one.
Top with sliced green onions and serve with your choice of dippers.
+ Super Bowl Appetizer Recipes
If its game day grub you crave, we have all the recipes you need to win big! Check out our easy Super Bowl recipes
Can you make buffalo chicken dip with chicken thighs?
I prefer to make this recipe with chicken breast, but thighs will work too. Cook them in the Instant Pot for 15 minutes rather than 12 before shredding so that they are fully cooked through.
Can you make buffalo dip ahead of time?
This Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip is best served warm so that the cheese is melted and dip-able. You can cook and shred the chicken breasts ahead of time and make the dip up to the point of it being baked in the oven. Cover it and keep in the fridge for up to a day before you are ready to bake it.
Whats the best hot sauce to use for buffalo chicken dip?
I love to use Franks Red Hot Sauce for this buffalo recipe, but all of your favorite hot sauces will work well.
Can you reheat buffalo chicken dip?
If you do have leftovers, they will keep well for 3 days, covered in the fridge. You can reheat it in the oven at 360F for 10 to 15 minutes til warmed through. Take care to only reheat it once.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Pork Stew In Instant Pot
What You Need To Make This Recipe
- Chicken: I am a big fan of one-pot meals hello, fewer dishes! I suggest canned chicken for this recipe . You can also use broken-down rotisserie chicken or boil 2-3 chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese: Use softened full-fat cream cheese to get the right creaminess.
- Butter: Butter and buffalo sauce are the perfect duo!
- Buffalo Sauce: Cater the heat to your preference. I use ½ cup, but if I need the sauce to be mild, I reduce the amount to ¼ cup. To make it spicier, I suggest using the recommended amount and adding thinly sliced jalapeños or poblanos.
- Ranch: Add flavor and creaminess to the dip with ranch. You can substitute sour cream or Greek yogurt as an alternative.
- Cheddar Cheese: This is buffalo chicken dip you can never have enough cheese.
- Bleu Cheese Crumbles: Whole bleu cheese crumbles add tang and texture- they also serve as a garnish.
- Scallions: Finish the dip with thinly sliced scallions.
Add The Shredded Chicken Back To The Creamy Buffalo Sauce
I like to shred with two forks. But if you have a stand mixer in your kitchen, using the paddle attachment to shred your chicken really speeds things up. You could also use something like the meat claws I used in my pork tenderloin carnitas recipe.
No matter how you shred, youll want it finely shredded for an easy-to-dip buffalo chicken dip.
You could also dice the cooked chicken like in my slow cooker chicken stew recipe.
Instant Pot Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links.
This Instant Pot healthy buffalo chicken dip is an easy & delicious appetizer that everyone will love! Complete with Crockpot & Oven instructions!
This recipe was originally published on January 20, 2020 and updated with new photos and copy on April 30, 2022.
Make Ahead And Storage
This Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Ranch Dip recipe is perfect for prepping ahead.
- Prep Ahead Store leftover chicken in the fridge ready for cooking. Also make ahead and store in a foil container that can then be reheated on a grill when needed.
- Store Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat the dip in the microwave or the oven.
- Freeze Freezing this recipe is not recommended.
Recommended Reading: How To Open Instant Pot Lid
What To Do With The Leftovers
- How long does buffalo chicken dip last in the fridge? Store the leftovers in an air-tight container the will keep for 3-4 days.
- FREEZE Allow the dish to cool and add it to a freezer-safe container. Cover the container in a layer of plastic wrap before securing the lid. It will keep in the freezer for 3 months. When youre ready to serve, defrost it in the fridge overnight and bake as directed.
- REHEAT You can easily reheat the dip in the microwave. I recommend warming it for one minute, giving it a quick stir and warming it for another minute. You can also reheat all the leftovers in the oven. Be sure to cover the dish in foil, then bake for 15 minutes in the oven heated to 350° F | 176° C oven.
- REPURPOSE Make nachos or use the dip to top roasted potatoes. Fill romaine lettuce or a tortilla with the leftovers and create a buffalo chicken wrap. Add the filling to Hawaiian rolls and make buffalo sliders.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It takes just 20 minutes to make! Its the fastest method to creating this crowd-pleasing dip. I love throwing this quick recipe together when Im entertaining, but am short on time.
- It all comes together in the Instant Pot! Lets face it, one pot meals are the best. And this Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip is no exception!
- Its creamy, cheesy, and loaded with flavor! Spicy hot sauce, zesty ranch dressing, and three different kinds of cheese make this dip totally irresistible.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Steamer Rack
Shred The Chicken In A Separate Bowl And Add Cream Cheese To The Instant Pot
The recipe card below includes nutrition facts for both fat free and reduced fat cream cheese. Fat free cream cheese is an elusive thing, but I can always find it in HEB or Walmart.
Its hard to notice any major differences in the finished buffalo chicken dip, and youll cut the fat and save 40 calories per serving with the fat free. If you have trouble finding fat free, Trader Joes has a great light option that I used to make my Cheesy Chicken Cowboy Caviar Dip.
You can also make the buffalo chicken dip dairy free by using a plant based cream cheese. My buffalo chicken chili and bang bang chicken dip use Kite Hill, which has similar macros to reduced fat cream cheese.
Vegetarian Buffalo Chicken Dip
Of course you can make this without meat as well if youd rather. I mean I think that is the best part but if you are serving several different audiences you might want two choices. Use the same recipe posted below but without the protein.
Ready to serve this up as a game day appetizer? Follow our quick and easy dip recipe below. Full ingredient list and instructions at the bottom but here is a quick rundown:
- Put all ingredients in your pot except the shredded cheese & I only half of the diced green onions. I would start with 1/4 cup of milk. You can add more later to thin it out or make it less spicy.
- Close your lid and seal the steam valve. Set to high pressure for 0 minutes. As soon as it comes to pressure and beeps do a quick release for the steam and lift the lid.
- Stir, taste, add more milk if you want to tame down the heat or thin it out. Pour into serving bowl and sprinkle shredded cheese and diced green onions on top to garnish.
- Serve when cheese is melted with crackers and celery sticks.
You could also leave it right in your pot for serving up or transfer to a prettier dish. OR transfer to the inner liner of your slow cooker and place your glass lid for that on the top to keep warm. That is a bit prettier than the inside of this metal pot. Set it to keep warm and people can enjoy this for several hours while your party is taking place.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Barley In Instant Pot
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, and garlic powder.
- Stir in the chicken and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Spoon into an Instant Pot safe baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil.
- Place a trivet at the bottom of your Instant Pot. Then pour in water.
- Place dip on top of trivet.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 7 minutes. Do a manual release.
- Top with additional hot sauce and green onions if desired.
Join Us Fortasty Perks
Sign up now for free access to a huge library of Hidden Valley® Ranch recipes and Ranchology Rewards perks.
Have an account? . Dont have an account?
Create an account to receive these Hidden Valley® benefits.
Sign back in to access your recipe tools.
Already have an account?
If not, become a Ranchology Rewards member to receive awesome perks:
Sign back in to access your recipe tools. Dont have an account? Create an account
Whoops. Something went wrong. Please come back later.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Pork Butt In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
We LOVE to serve up sharing dips when we are entertaining, and this may just be one of my favorites. Cheesy, creamy, tangy and spicy, this one has it all!
This Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip is so effortless to make in the pressure cooker and I promise that it will disappear quickly!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Instant Pot Or Ninja Foodi Style Any Pressure Cooker Will Do To Make This Cream Cheese Spicy Chicken Dip Appetizer
Looking for the best Super Bowl appetizer? This Buffalo chicken dip Instant Pot style is it. A hearty and spicy cream cheese dip you can pair with crackers or vegetable sticks. Use leftover or rotisserie chicken to add protein and enjoy with your favorite group of friends. Great Instant Pot recipe to start your get together.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Bowl Can Go In Instant Pot
Best Buffalo Chicken Dip With Rotisserie Chicken
BEST TASTING Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe It is Creamy, Spicy, cheesy, Super Easy and unbelievably good! Made in under 40 minutes , this is the perfect appetizer for your next game day or party.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
How Long Is Buffalo Chicken Dip Good For
If you let it cool for at least 15 minutes so its at room temperature and then transfer to a covered dish that is best. Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. You could sprinkle some crumbles of blue cheese on top when reheated to enjoy it again, that gives it another great kick of flavor.
Ready to give this easy recipe a whirl now?
Want to make this into more of a meal to enjoy? Make our Instant Pot buffalo chicken soup sometime!
Printable recipe is available for you to download below. If you add other items of YUM to the mix let me know so we can try it on the next go around!
Recommended Reading: What Part Of Instant Pot Is Dishwasher Safe
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Ingredients
- Cream cheese Cut it into cubes to melt faster.
- Cooked chicken Rotisserie chicken works great or use this easy Crock Pot Shredded Chicken recipe.
- Ranch dressing Could also substitute Blue Cheese dressing.
- Buffalo wing sauce
- Colby-Jack cheese Grab a block and grate it yourself for a better melting cheese.
Directions To Prepare The Buffalo Chicken Dip Instant Pot:
1. Place chicken and 1 cup water into the instant pot. Place lid on the instant pot and seal shut.
2. Close the pressure release valve.
3. Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 10 minutes.
4. When the cooking cycle is complete, quick release pressure and open pot.
5. Carefully remove chicken from pot and place into a large mixing bowl. Discard liquid.
6. Use 2 forks to shred chicken and return to pot.
7. Add sauce, cream cheese, ranch seasoning, and water. Mix well.
8. Press sautee on the instant pot and stirring constantly, mix until cream cheese is melted and dip is hot.
9. Spoon into a small bowl or dish and serve with crackers or chips.
Makes 3 cups.
Read Also: Instant Pot Air Fryer Omni Pro
What Goes In This Dip
Buffalo sauce Franks Original Red Hot sauce is the best sauce to make an unbelievably good appetizer that is the perfect super bowl food.
Ranch We used Hidden Valley Original
Cream Cheese We used Philadelphia Cheese Cream Original
Chicken Chopped cooked leftover rotisserie chicken
Cheese We used a mix of Cheddar and Mozzarella cheeses
Produce Scallion and jalapeños peppers
The Best Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
This amazing Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip is made from scratch in under 40 minutes, and you just need to really “cook” for 10 of those. With hot sauce, sour cream, chicken and blue cheese this is a buffalo lover’s spicy dream.
This instant pot buffalo chicken dip is the perfect appetizer or snack for any Buffalo sauce lover – game day or any other day.
While it’s meant as an appetizer or snack – I wont fault you if you end up finishing it all by yourself, in one sitting. It’s just that good!
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Noodles In An Instant Pot