Do I Need To Use A Trivet
If you have the trivet that the instant pot comes with, it is best to cook the breasts in a layer on top of it. This will ensure the chicken is steamed and kept juicy instead of boiling in the liquid. But, if you are without a trivet, putting the chicken breasts directly into the liquid will work just fine, or you can make a rope of aluminum foil and use that as a make-shift rack on the bottom of the pot.
What Size Of Instant Pot Should I Use
You can cook chicken breasts in whatever size instant pot you have. Just make sure you add at least 1 cup of liquid, and then place the chicken in the pot in a single layer. If you have a smaller instant pot, simply cook your chicken in batches so you can keep it in single layers. If you have a larger instant pot, keep in mind it will take a little longer for your instant pot to come to pressure before cooking begins.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Shred the chicken with forks or a hand mixer and freeze it in individual bags to easily add to any weeknight dinner. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Or, chop the chicken and refrigerate to add to lunches throughout the week.
Recipes for leftover cooked chicken:
Instant Pot For The Win
Ever since I got my first Instant Pot back in 2013, Ive been on a mission to convert all of my favorite slow cooker recipes into variations that can be made in a snap in the electric pressure cooker. Kalua Pig. I rest my case.) And while it does take a little finesse to convert slow cooker or conventionally cooked stew recipes into Instant Pot versions, thats what Im here for!
One of the most popular slow cooker recipes on my blog is Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Gravy. Its kind of a misnomer to call it roast chicken because the bird isnt cooked in an oven or over a fire, and the skin doesnt get crispy, but this dish still manages to scratch that roasted whole chicken itch without you having to turn on the oven. Even better: You only dirty one pot, and that pot can be thrown in the dishwasher.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Brisket In Instant Pot
Simple Ingredients For A Fast Simple Chicken Breast Recipe
Nothing too fancy here. Actually, nothing fancy AT ALL. Just some really basic ingredients for making the best, basic Instant Pot chicken recipe ever. The herbs you use can be any mix of simple dried herbs that you have in the cupboard and that you love. We think Italian seasoning is especially nice, because with herbs like marjoram and parsley in the mix, its got a little extra oomph. But if all youve got is some dried oregano, thats OK too! The Instant Pot will still work its chicken-cooking magic, and youll still be blown away by how easy it is to cook chicken breasts this way.
- Chicken stock
- Italian seasoning, oregano, basil or thyme
- Garlic powder
Check Chicken Breasts Internal Temperature
First, place the chicken breast on a chopping board.
Then, were going to check the chickens internal temperature at its thickest part with an accurate food thermometer.
*Note: The USDA recommends 165°F as the safe internal temperature for cooked chicken.
*Pro Tip: If the chickens temperature is off by more than 10°F, quickly place the chicken breasts back in the Instant Pot. Close the lid, then let the residual heat in the Instant Pot cook the chicken breasts for 1 to 2 more minutes.
For reference, our single chicken breast experiment first recorded an internal temperature of 157°F . After resting for 3 minutes, the internal temperature jumped to 165°F .
With our double chicken breasts experiment , the chicken breasts first recorded an internal temperature of 156°F . After resting for 3 minutes, the internal temperature jumped to 165°F .
Recommended Reading: How To Make Bread In Instant Pot
Tips For Preparing Chicken Recipes In A Pressure Cooker:
- Should your chicken go swimming? When making soups, stews, or chili, submerging the chicken completely in liquid during the cooking process is fine. If possible, use a cooking trivet or a steamer basket for chicken recipes when the desired end result is steamed or gently cooked chicken.
- Dont over cook your chicken. Nobody likes rubbery or tough chicken, so I recommend finding a similar recipe that uses the same cut of chicken. Then follow the directions and cook time in that recipe, and substitute your preferred ingredients.
How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken In The Instant Pot
There are a few different variables that can affect how long frozen chicken takes in an Instant Pot. It depends on the size of your Instant Pot, the cut of meat, the size of your chicken pieces, and the recipe youre using.
Chicken pieces like breasts, thighs, and wings will take considerably less time to cook, says Summer Yule, MS, RDN.
You can use Instant Pots cooking time tables as a guideline. Frozen meat requires a few extra minutes of cooking and may also prolong the time it takes to pressurize before the actual cooking time begins.
That means the actual time from freezer to table will be a bit longer than the cook time but dont worry, its worth the wait.
Yule recommends the following cooking times as a starting point. Your mileage may vary, so always check the internal temperature of your chicken to make sure it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Here are a few guidelines that can help you figure out how long you need to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
Recommended Reading: Cook Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
This is the BEST way to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot! It is so easy and they turn out so well, I almost never take the time to thaw chicken before cooking it. Add seasonings, sauces, broth, or just water, salt and pepper and the result is always amazing.
If youre wondering how to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker, youre in luck. Because youll never be stuck at 5:00 with nothing to make for dinner again!
Cooking frozen chicken has never been quicker, easier, or more delicious! The Instant Pot has definitely saved my butt a time or two
We are back on the Instant Pot bandwagon today with one of my favourites, although, again, Im not sure this actually qualifies as a recipe considering there are two ingredients and one is water or broth. But I promise you, if you learn how to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot you may never go back!
I will be totally honest and say that I am not utterly obsessed with the Instant Pot like millions of other people. I havent moved on to cheesecake and egg bites and other things that make more sense to bake in the oven .
But there are a few things that I actually prefer to do in the Instant Pot, and chicken breasts is one of those things
And if youre looking for more Instant Pot chicken recipes, try this Instant Pot Whole Chicken from fresh or frozen!).
Tips For Cooking Chicken In The Instant Pot
- In order for the 6 quart Instant Pot to work, it needs a minimum of 1 cup of liquid. If you have an 8 quart Instant Pot, it needs at least 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
- Because chicken breast is so easy to overcook, we always use the quick release method. Quick release is when you turn the pressure release valve to open or venting at the completion of the cooking cycle. This forces the steam to release from the Instant Pot quickly.
- Do not stack chicken when cooking in the Instant Pot. It will cook unevenly. This is especially true for frozen chicken. Try to spread it out evenly along the bottom as much as you can.
- Use a meat thermometer like the one we recommend here to determine doneness. All poultry must cook to the safe temperature of 165°F internally . But, you dont want to cook it longer than that and get dried out.
- If cooking chicken from frozen, make sure to read our post about how to prepare and cook freezer meals in the Instant Pot. Seriously, dont skip it.
- If you have more questions about the Instant Pot, swing by and browse Instant Pot 101.
You May Like: Tamale Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot Chicken Tenders
The pressure cooker really helps to lock in the juices and you dont need to worry about over cooking them and making them dry.
Serve these with your favorite dips or serve up as part of a main.
If you are new to cooking with your Instant Pot, be sure to check out my How to Cook Chicken in an Instant Pot guide for all my top tips!
Is It Safe To Cook Frozen Chicken In The Instant Pot
Yes, as long as you do it correctly.
If you use the pressure cooking function not slow cooker and ensure that the chicken reaches the minimum safe internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it should be safe, Yule says.
Frozen chicken naturally takes longer to cook, because it first has to thaw out before the actual cooking process starts. Thats why the FDA warns against putting frozen chicken in a slow cooker, because it keeps the chicken in the bacterial danger zone for too long.
Pressure cooking, however, takes approximately 30 percent less time than traditional methods because it traps the moisture that would normally evaporate while cooking on the stovetop or in the oven.
This speeds up the chemical processes that happen during cooking, so your food reaches safe temperatures faster.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Five: Let Pressure Release
- After cook time has elapsed, allow pressure to naturally release for at least 10 minutes. And it is okay to leave the Instant Pot on the keep warm setting during this time.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and let rest for an additional 10 minutes before serving for the juices to redistribute.
- Save bones from your roasted chicken to make Instant Pot Chicken Stock.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken–The best method for cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot this recipe produces flavorful, juicy, tender “roast” chicken.
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken–Tender chicken that is perfectly spiced with buffalo seasoning, this recipe is a great base for numerous dishes.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos–Made with just 4 ingredients and a few minutes of prep, this is one of the easiest, tastiest Instant Pot chicken recipes.
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs–This is a great basic recipe for cooking bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken–This easy instant pot recipe can be made with chicken thighs or chicken breasts and is coated in a delicious sweet and savory teriyaki sauce.
If you enjoyed this Instant Pot Chicken Breast recipe, please be sure to take the time to leave a comment and a review.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
This is a nice straightforward pressure cooker recipe. All you need to do is sauté your vegetables , brown the chicken, and dump in your sauce ingredients.
The Honey Sesame sauce is made with pantry staples that you probably already have at home: ketchup, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and a simple slurry of cornstarch and water added at the end to thicken.
Set the cook time for just 3 minutes at High Pressure. After a quick pressure release, stir in your finishing ingredients and slurry and there you have it: perfectly moist chicken coated in sticky honey-sesame sauce.
Note: Its important to bring the sauce back to a simmer after adding the slurry. That extra minute or two ensures that the cornstarch is fully cooked and that thickening agents activate to make a nice sauce for your dish.
How To Store Instant Pot Chicken
- Leftover cooked, shredded, or diced Instant Pot chicken can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight.
- Shredded Instant Pot Chicken is IDEAL for meal prep. Make a big batch at the beginning of the week, divide into individual containers, then use it all week long.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Turkey Tenderloin In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Breast Variations:
- Chicken is one of my favorite proteins because it can take on a wide variety of spices, seasonings and sauces! Mix things up with your seasoning blend or use a bottled blend that you love for a new flair.
- Slice and toss in barbecue sauce for easy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken.
- This seasoning blend and cooking method works just as well for a combination or breasts and thighs if you have a chicken thigh lover, toss in some boneless, skinless chicken thighs with your breasts and everyone is happy!
How To Cook Fresh Chicken Breast In Instant Pot
- Add 1 cup water and place trivet on top.
- Lay chicken breasts in a single layer, sprinkle with spices and rub onto each other.
- Press Pressure Cook on High or Manual for 10 minutes under 2 thickness and 15 minutes over 2 thick breasts.
- Do Natural Release for 5 minutes and then turn pressure valve to Venting.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Beef In Instant Pot
Here Are Some Tips And Tricks For Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot:
- The exact cook time will depend on how large the chicken breasts are, although for me 10-12 minutes has always been plenty. This means that when I open up the pot they are well over the safe 165 degrees F. But Id rather be safe than have to go through the hassle of sealing it back up and letting it build the pressure back up.
- If youre in a rush, you can simply add water or chicken broth and season with salt and pepper, but feel free to get a little crazy with your seasonings here. Barbecue sauce, soy sauce, honey, different herbs and spices will all be fantastic
- All of my Instant Pot recipes are tested in the 6 quart Instant Pot with Bluetooth. The bluetooth is an unnecessary but handy tool because I can control the pot from my phone while Im out of the kitchen.
- If you want to jazz up your Instant Pot chicken breasts, try these Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts and serve them with the sauce over pasta you wont regret it! You can also use frozen chicken to make this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice.
- Looking for an easy side dish to go along with it? Try my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese so easy and so quick!
Instant Pot Chicken Ingredients:
To make this Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken: I tested this recipe using boneless chicken breasts and boneless chicken thighs either fresh or frozen. You are welcome to use bone-in chicken, but the cooking time may vary slightly.
- Chicken broth : Which we will need to keep the chicken nice and moist, and also prevent a burn warning on the Instant Pot. I recommend using a cup of chicken or vegetable broth if you happen to have some on hand, to add extra flavor. Or if not, plain water will work just fine too.
- Seasonings: I typically use a simple mixture of smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. But see below for alternatives.
Read Also: Instant Pot Automatic Shut Off
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Time
As mentioned above the instant pot whole chicken time is 6 minutes per pound. We experimented with four different sized chickens.
Above is the picture of the four chickens we bought and below they are close up with their weights.
They weighed the following:
Then if you follow the 6 minute rule the cook time is as follows:
- Small = 1.4kg = 3lbs = 19 Minutes
- Medium = 1.48kg = 3.2lbs = 20 Minutes
- Large = 1.76kg = 3.89lbs = 23 Minutes
- Extra Large = 2.15kg = 4.7lbs = 29 Minutes
As the instant pot doesnt do half a minute, any that were in between were rounded off to the next minute.
For example, the small whole chicken was 18.5 minutes and we rounded it off to 19 minutes.
We then cooked each of the chickens in a similar way, under high pressure, seasoned and with the instant pot deglazed and plenty of flavour added.
And guess what?
Each of the chickens were perfectly cooked. They were perfect. You couldnt get any more perfect if you tried.
I am so glad I tried it and now I can buy different sized whole chickens and know that they will be perfectly cooked.
You also know that an instant pot 5 pound whole chicken will take 30 minutes, an instant pot 6 pound whole chicken will be 36 minutes and so on.
I should also mention this rule also applies to other bone in poultry such as our instant pot whole duck.