Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is the quickest and easiest way to make perfect mashed potatoes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
If you love classic Stove-top Mashed Potatoes, but want to save yourself some time and effort, this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe will become your go-to.
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
I started with 7 russet potatoes. The total weight was 2.4 pounds, FYI.
I peeled them, quartered them and steamed them in the Instant Pot on manual high pressure for 8 minutes. Once the potatoes are cooked, it is all assembly from there. I just add salt, pepper and butter, plus a little milk.
And then I mash! I add more milk as I go, until I get the perfect consistency I like.
If I am making them as a regular weekly dinner item, I usually leave it at that. We like ours a little textured in our house.
But for more special occasions like Thanksgiving, I give these a go with my hand mixer for super smooth and creamy consistency.
A cute serving dish is essential for special occasions too. This one is old, but it is from William Sonoma.
And voila! Holiday mashed potato perfection. Simple, yet tasty. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you try them.
How To Make Mashed Potatoes In An Instant Pot
Quick tip: Don’t overwork your potatoes in the mashing process or they could turn gummy. Mash them just enough to get a smooth, creamy final product.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Beets Cooking Time
Tricks For Smooth And Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
If youre in a hurry, you can use your KitchenAid mixer. But you need to be really carefuloverwhipping your potatoes can make them gluey and youll still be likely to have some lumps.
Butter first. Another tip is to stir in the room temperature butter before adding the warm liquids to the mashed potatoes.
When Im in a hurry, Ill warm the butter and milk together. However, if you add room temperature butter and stir them in before adding warm liquid, . This will prevent the mashed potatoes from absorbing as much liquid so theyll stay dry and fluffy.
To Make Things Even Better
These no drain mashed potatoes are healthier than most recipes out there. Sort of like a skinny version of mashed taters.
Well, theres only 4 ingredients needed for these delicious, fluffy, taters.
You may optionally add oil or butter, but I promise, you wont need it.
So, if youre looking for a healthy, low calorie, virtually fat free mashed potato option, youve found it!
You May Like: Instant Pot Frozen Meatball Recipes
What To Do With Leftover Mashed Potatoes
I really love having leftover mashed potatoes! Well often make a double batch and have mashed potatoes and gravy the first night.
The next night, Ill make the topping from my Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes Au Gratin. Warm up the leftover potatoes, top with the cheese and breadcrumb topping, and pop under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs are crispy.
The Ultimate Comfort Food
If youre not familiar with the Instant Pot, its an easy to use an electric pressure cooker. Learn more about the Instant Pot here .
Also Check: Can The Instant Pot Go In The Dishwasher
How To Serve Your Mashed Potatoes
Adding additional ingredients to your mashed potatoes isn’t necessary, but it’s a great way to put a spin on this classic dish. Some of Lo’s favorite mix-ins for mashed potatoes include roasted garlic, grated aged cheddar, and crispy bacon bits.
She also likes to garnish her mashed potatoes with garden-grown chives to level them up. “For the ultimate side dish, add them all,” Lo says.
Her favorite dishes to serve alongside Instant Pot mashed potatoes include pork roast, beef pot roast, ribs, and barbecue sirloin steak. And, of course, it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without a fluffy mound of gravy-soaked mashed potatoes right next to the turkey and stuffing.
You can also top your mashed potatoes with gravy, cheese, sour cream, or extra butter to elevate the flavor profile even further.
Quick tip: For vegan mashed potatoes, use a vegan butter substitute and dairy-free milk or coconut milk instead of milk or cream. You can also reserve and use the potato cooking water to mash them with. Serve them with slabs of crispy marinated tofu or tempeh or a tasty bowl of Instant Pot cooked beans.
Recommended Potatoes For Mashed Potatoes
Have you ever had really gluey mashed potatoes before instead of super smooth and creamy? The wrong potatoes , can cause poor results. You need a potato with a higher starch level.
The best kind of potatoes for light, fluffy, and flavorful mashed potatoes are russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes. How you cook your potatoes matter too. Instant Pot is my new favorite way, but slow cooker mashed potatoes are pretty amazing as well.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
Additions You Can Make
As you know, mashed potatoes are incredibly versatile and can be used in so many dishes. But they dont have to be served plain. There are tons of options for dressing up the potatoes to make them something a bit different.
- If you want to make super decadent potatoes, double or even triple the butter and reduce the milk. If youve ever had mashed potatoes at a Joel Robuchon restaurant, you know how amazing they can be drenched in butter.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and cream cheese to make cheesy potatoes.
- Add some bacon bits and sliced green onions to make a loaded potato dish.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes: Faq
How long do you cook mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot?
The process takes about 20 minutes, including close to 10 minutes of cook time. Prep other ingredients while the potatoes cook.
Can you use red potatoes, sweet potatoes, or cauliflower?
Yukon gold and russet potatoes are starchier than red potatoes, which makes them fluffier when mashed. Choose these varieties over their waxier red cousins.
Recommended Reading: What Does It Mean Food Burn On Instant Pot
Tools For Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes:
You never want your mashed potatoes to be either too mushy/runny or too pasty/dry. This is why pressure cooker mashed potatoes are so awesome over the regular boiling method. The high pressure is able to cook the potatoes evenly. So, you can easily achieve great texture and a richer taste.
Cream Cheese In Mashed Potatoes
Yes, because The Pioneer Woman taught the world that cream cheese belongs in mashed potatoes. Im not here to argue. This recipe uses just 2 ounces of cream cheese. Save the rest for my loaf pan cheesecake.
You can use sour cream or whole milk plain Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese, if you prefer.
Minute Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Serves 4
If you like mashed potatoes, youve gotta try this simple, healthy side dish thats ready in minutes. Made with skin-on Little potatoes, theyre gluten-free, vegetarian, and easily vegan.
To prevent lumpy potatoes, make sure you mash the potatoes right after they are done cooking. Dont let them sit around in the Instant Pot for too long.
How To Make Instant Pot Meatloaf And Mashed Potatoes
- Cut potatoes into large chunks and place in Instant Pot
- Stir together meatloaf mixture
- Place on top of potatoes with foil around the bottom
- Remove meatloaf after cooking and mash potatoes
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
This mashed potatoes recipe is so simple. Make it once and you will probably have it memorized.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Variations
- Cream Cheese Potatoes: Add 3 ounces of cream cheese to the recipe
- Cheddar Bacon Potatoes: Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- Roasted Garlic Potatoes: Add 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup parsley
- Bacon Ranch Potatoes: Add 2 tablespoons ranch powder, 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon and 3/4 cup shredded cheese
Recommended Reading: Cabbage Roll Instant Pot
Reheating And Storing Mashed Potatoes
You can make a big pot of mashed potatoes ahead of time and store them in an airtight container, but expect them to have a slightly different flavor and be less fluffy when reheated.
If leftover mashed potatoes are too dry, try adding a splash of milk and a pat of butter to moisten them. “Mine never last long enough to go beyond one day,” says Lo, but leftover or made-ahead mashed potatoes should last around two to three days in the fridge.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
Before we get to the full recipe below, here are some quick notes about the ingredients you will need to make this Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe:
- Potatoes: I always like to use a 50/50 blend of Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes when making mashed potatoes, so that you get the perfect blend of buttery and creamy + fluffy and starchy flavors and textures. But feel free to use whatever kind of potatoes you prefer.
- Garlic: This recipe is written with a mild amount of garlic. So if you would like to make garlicky mashed potatoes, I recommend doubling the amount.
- Cream cheese: My go-to ingredient to make mashed potatoes perfectly tangy and creamy.
- Butter: Also a must. Feel free to add in more if you would like your potatoes to be even more buttery.
- Milk: I typically make my potatoes with whole milk, which makes them plenty creamy. But if you would like even richer mashed potatoes, feel free to add in your desired amount of half and half or heavy cream instead.
- Sea salt and black pepper: I cant stress enough how important it is to generously salt and pepper your mashed potatoes! If they taste bland, you definitely need more salt.
- Toppings: If you would like to sprinkle some fresh herbs on your potatoes as a garnish , you cant go wrong with some chopped fresh chives or fresh parsley.
Also Check: Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe Without Yogurt Button
Tips And Tricks For Instant Pot Meatloaf And Mashed Potatoes
- Dont over-mix. Mix the meatloaf ingredients only until just combined. If you overwork the meat, it could come out dry and tough.
- Be careful when you take the meatloaf out of the pot. There will be hot dripping in the foil.
- Let it rest. Make sure you let your meatloaf sit for at least 10 minutes before slicing into it so the moisture has a chance to settle back into the meat. if you cut into it too soon, that moisture will seep out and you might end up with dry meatloaf.
- If youre skipping the potatoes, set the meatloaf on a trivet and add some broth or water. You will still need liquid in the instant pot for it to come to pressure.
- No instant pot? Check out my sheet pan mini meatloaf and roasted potatoes recipe instead!
Do I Have To Use A Steamer Basket
The easiest way to cook them is in a steamer basket. However, if you dont have one, I recommend doing your best to stack them on the trivet that was included with your pressure cooker.
You can cook them directly on the bottom of the pressure cooker, but they wont cook as evenly and will have a higher water content.
More Mashed Potato Favorites
- Fill Instant Pot pot with 1 inch of water in the bottom, maximum 1 ½ cups water.
- Peel and chop the russet potatoes.
- Place potatoes in Instant Pot.
- Add salt, put the lid on top of the Instant Pot, and turn to close the lid.
- Set the valve to sealing.
- Press the MANUAL button. Press the +/- button to set to 12 minutes.
- Let the IP do its job. It will take a little while for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. At which time it will start counting down.
- When it counts to zero, it should beep. At this time, turn the valve/ vent to Venting. Immediately turn the steam release handle back to the Sealing position at the first sign of spattering. Quick Release should ALWAYS be closely attended.
- Once the pressure cooker has vented, open it, and add the milk and butter, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes right in the pot.
What To Serve With Meatloaf And Mashed Potatoes
This meatloaf and mashed potatoes recipe is a one-pot recipe that puts both an entree and a side dish on the table! If you want to fill out your meal even more, here are some other side dish ideas:
- Roasted or Steamed Veggies
- Broccoli Salad one of our favorite salads!
- Skip the mashed potatoes and add some Macaroni and Cheese
- Garlic Bread or Breadsticks
Read Also: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
More Side Dish Recipes
Rachael is the creator of the food and travel blog Eazy Peazy Mealz where she shares simple to make recipes for busy families. She loves food and the power it has to create traditions, family bonds, and memories, and strives to share delicious, practical recipes with easy to find ingredients and simple instructions. Beyond food, her passion is travel, and she is regularly found away from home, with her 4 kids in tow, exploring the world. Her favorite way to experience a new place is through her tastebuds, and with hands on cooking classes. And she loves sharing what she has learned with her readers.
How To Make Mashed Potatoes In The Instant Pot
The biggest reason to make the potatoes in the Instant Pot is how quickly they cook under pressure.
While it usually takes anywhere form 15-30 minutes to cook the potatoes in water on the stove top, it only takes 8 minutes to reach the perfect softness in the Instant Pot. Of course, you also have to add the 5-8 minutes it takes to come up to pressure, so, so itll take around 13-16 minutes total.
Start by putting the cubed potatoes and water into the Instant Pot. The potatoes should be cut into chunks or around 1-2 cubes. I dont put much time into it. They dont have to be perfect they just need to be uniform so they all cook at the same rate.
Add half the salt and stir it all together. Then place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealing.
Press the pressure cook button and set the time for 8 minutes on high pressure. If youve added cold water, it will take between 5-8 minutes to come up to pressure. For warm or hot water, it might take a few minutes less.
When the time is up, you can do a quick release of the pressure and turn off the machine. You dont want to let the pressure release naturally because the potatoes will just turn into mush.
Drain any excess water from the potatoes. If youve cooked the 1.5 pounds of potatoes that this recipe calls for, there will be a bit of water to strain off. If youve cooked 3 pounds, there might not be any water to drain.
Recommended Reading: Burn Food Instant Pot