Ways To Use Cooked Cauliflower
Now with more people than ever on a low-carb, gluten-free, or grain-free diet, its even trendier to use cauliflower in unique ways.
Cooked cauliflower has a flavor and texture similar to that of cooked white potatoes. Thats why it works so well to transform cooked cauliflower into a low carb mash that replaces mashed potatoes.
Or, you can serve steamed cauliflower as a side dish, topped with my Creamy Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce.
Tips For Instant Pot Cauliflower
If youre making a cauliflower mash or another recipe that calls for steamed cauliflower, this is the easiest way to prepare it. Just skip the seasonings and follow the Instant Pot cooking instructions below.
One important tip for making this recipe is to release the pressure immediately when the pot beeps after coming to pressure, and quickly remove the cauliflower from the pot. If you leave it in for a few extra minutes, itll be mushy.
I like to season the cauliflower before cooking it, but you can also sprinkle on the seasoning after cooking if youd prefer. Adjust the spices according to your familys tastes, adding more or less chili powder as desired.
Use a stainless steel steamer basket rather than the rack that comes with the Instant Pot. If you cut your veggies too small, theyll fall through the gaps in the rack into the water.
Kids will enjoy this cauliflower dipped in Ranch dressing, but its also delicious on its own. Watch this video to see how easy it is to make pressure cooker cauliflower on a busy night:
Health Benefits Of Cauliflower
Firstly, it is tasty. I love cauliflower as a side along with my meal. Other than that, cauliflower has great nutritional benefits.
- Low in calories, just 29 calories in 1 cup
- High fiber content, about 3 grams in one cup
- High in vitamin C and contains many other vitamins & minerals
- Great source of antioxidants.
Recommended Reading: How To Proof Bread In Instant Pot
Pressure Cook Cauliflower In Instant Pot
Pour ½ cup cold water and place a Stainless Steel Steamer Basket in Instant Pot.
You can also use the trivet that came with your Instant Pot.
Layer the cauliflower florets on the steamer basket.
Close the lid and turn the Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
Pressure Cooking Method:
- For 2-3 cups of Cauliflower Florets
- High Pressure 0 min + Quick Release
*Note: For reference, our cauliflower was closed to 3 lbs, High Pressure 0 minute + Quick Release yielded tender texture.
Carefully turn the Venting Knob to Venting Position to quickly release the pressure.
Once the Floating Valve drops, take off the lid immediately and remove the cauliflower from Instant Pot to prevent overcooking.
Serve the tasty steamed cauliflower as a healthy side dish!
Enjoy your Instant Pot Cauliflower!~
Do You Need A Steamer Basket For Instant Pot
Can I use any steamer basket in instant pot? You can make Instant Pot broccoli with or without a steamer basket, and any steamer basket that is all metal or silicone will work in a pressure cooker. Check the label on any product to ensure it is compatible.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Keep The Bottom Of My Pressure Cooker From Burning
How Long To Steam Cauliflower Instant Pot
|The total time for steaming cauliflower in an instant pot is very less compared to steaming instant pot baby potatoes, instant pot green beans, instant pot carrots, etc.|
|cooking cauliflower in a pressure cooker is very less time-consuming and has zero monitoring. You can even do the same with steamed cauliflower in the instant pot but today I steam fresh cauliflower.|
How To Cook Cauliflower In The Instant Pot
1. Prepare the cauliflower: Cut the cauliflower into large florets, keeping them about the same size so they cook evenly. Try to leave the floret head intact so it does not crumble.
2. Add ingredients to Instant Pot: Pour 1 cup of water into the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot before placing the steamer basket inside. Then, carefully arrange the cauliflower florets on the steamer basket.
3. Pressure cook: Cook on High Pressure for 0 minutes.
4. Quick-release Steam: Once the pressure cooker reaches pressure, carefully quick release the pressure. Pro-Tip: Its extremely important to release pressure immediately , otherwise youll end up with mushy cauliflower.
5. Remove cauliflower: Once the cauliflower has cooled down and the steamer basket is safe to handle, remove it from the Instant Pot.
6. Season : In a separate bowl, drizzle cooked cauliflower florets with extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs.
Recommended Reading: Burn Instant Pot Message
You May Like: Pressure Cooker Turkey Breast Tenderloin
Steam In Instant Pot:
- Bring the instant pot to a saute mode and add 1 cup of water. Allow the water to boil, and insert a trivet.
- Once the water starts to boil, insert the steam rack with cauliflower and change the instant pot to a steam mode and set the time to 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, quick-release pressure and take the steam rack out.
- Give cauliflowers an iced bath and transfer them to a colander.
- At this point, cauliflower florets will be soft enough for a potato masher for fine shredding. If you want, you can also use a hand blender with a chopper attachment to shred the cauliflower florets till riced.
- If you are like me and want perfectly riced cauliflower, then transfer the cauliflower florets to a food processor and process until riced. Your cauliflower rice is ready.
NOTE: If you want to use cauliflower rice for another recipe, then use a cheesecloth or kitchen towel to lightly drain the water from the riced cauliflower. For freezing, divide the riced cauliflower into individual portions and transfer them to freezer-safe boxes or ziplock bags. Then store them for a month. Reheat cauliflower rice before serving and add a little butter or oil while reheating frozen cauliflower rice. It helps to fluff up the rice really well. Although I love fresh cauliflower rice a lot more, I freeze some batch especially to use it for other recipes.
I hope you make and enjoy this recipe just the way I do. If so, please leave a star rating just by clicking on the stars on the recipe card.
What To Serve With This Recipe
Rice: Brown or white rice soaks up this sauce nicely. Consider using pre-cooked frozen rice to make this dinner really easy
Naan or Pita bread: Fluffy, warm bread is perfect for sopping up the sauce. If youre feeling ambitious, make homemade yogurt flatbread.
Pasta: Serve the cauliflower and sauce on a bed of orzo, egg noodles or fettuccine. Add a can of briefly sauteed chickpeas and wilted baby spinach to make the pasta even yummier.
Chicken Thighs: Grilled or roasted, chicken thighs are so good with this meal .
Also Check: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Cauliflower: A Tutorial
The Instant Pot is a quick, hands off way to steam vegetables! Weve used the same method with our Instant Pot broccoli and Instant Pot Brussels sprouts. Essentially: chop the veggies. Throw them in with a bit of water and press Cook! Heres exactly how to make pressure cooker cauliflower, and a little trick for the chopping part.
Instant Pot Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Bites
Ever think about grabbing dinner at Panda Express until you realize you can make this dish in less time than the people spent waiting in that line. This dish takes less than 5 minutes to prep, a few minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, 4 minutes of cook time and then a few minutes on saute mode. Less time than sitting at the busy drive-thru! Recipe from In Johnnas Kitchen.
Don’t Miss: Tamales Instant Pot
Chop The Cauliflower Into Florets
Use a large chefs knife to cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Here we used 1 small head of cauliflower, which is enough for 4 servings. Feel free double if youd like: its still the same cook time!
Wondering the best way to cut cauliflower? Alex and I use a genius method that doesnt end up with crumbles all over the counter! Go to How to Cut Cauliflower or see the video below.
How To Steam Cauliflower In The Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
Creamy Cauliflower Au Gratin In The Instant Pot
This simple side dish is creamy, cheesy, comfort food! Cauliflower au gratin is quick and easy to make in the Instant Pot, and tastes amazing. Even picky eaters wont hesitate to ask for seconds!
The links below may be affiliate links, meaning I earn a small compensation at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure policy here.
Cauliflower is delicious roasted in the oven, a drizzle of oil, a little salt and pepper, maybe a little spice. If you think you dont like a vegetable, try tossing it on a baking sheet and roasting it until fork tender and brown.
Variety is the spice of life, though, and sometimes you just want something a little different. I give you cauliflower au gratin. Tender cauliflower in a creamy cheese sauce with a crunchy toasted topping. SO GOOD.
We all enjoy this dish, from the toddlers to the grandparents. If you are looking for a way to introduce cauliflower to picky eaters, swap a veggie for a bowl of macncheese, or simply try something new, give this recipe a try.
The only special ingredient is the cauliflower itself, and it can be found at any grocery store or farmers market. Before the Instant Pot, I made cauliflower au gratin on the stovetop still tasty, but it took longer and I ended up with many more dishes to wash.
This dish is perfect for holidays and special occasions, too. Its simple enough that you arent adding any fuss to your preparations, but its an excellent way to make this humble vegetable shine.
Instant Pot Whole Cauliflower
When it comes to Instant Pot cauliflower recipes, this one is definitely a must-try! A whole head of cauliflower is perfectly pressure cooked with a delicious spice rub, then finished with a sweetened glaze and garlic, thyme bread crumbs. Its beautiful, impressive, festive and easy to make. Serve it as a plant-based, vegetarian main or as a side for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter or a special dinner.
If youve never tried cooking a whole cauliflower, this is a great recipe to give it a go. As a dish, its impressive looking, and can be served as a centrepiece at any dinner gathering. Normally, roasting the whole head of cauliflower takes quite a long time but were using the Instant Pot pressure cooker to speed up this process.
Learning To Use An Instant Pot
I started my Instant Pot journey by texting my friend Ann the Instant Pot expert.
Ann tests Instant Pot recipes for work she knows her stuff!
She walked me through each step, and in just a few minutes, I was digging into a delicious spoonful of mashed cauliflower.
Did you just buy your Instant Pot? Check out this Instant Pot Beginners Guidefrom Kristines Kitchen
Instant Pot Whole Roasted Cauliflower
Beginner in Instant Pot cooking? Make this Instant pot cauliflower whole head Cajun flavored, its absolutely beginner friendly, no active cooking involved, doesnt taste bland & packed with incredible flavors! It might be your new favorite & the best way to include cauliflower in your diet.
Read Also: How To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
Read Also: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot
Spicy Instant Pot Cauliflower Queso
This Instant Pot cauliflower queso is what everyone wants at a party. Well, the ones that are dairy-free. The cauliflower is the bulk, the carrots give it the color, and the cashews make it extra creamy. When you overcook cauliflower the cells burst and thats what makes it have an overwhelming smell. If you cook it until its just beginning to soften it tastes much milder. Serve it on baked tortillas chips! Recipe from Plant-Based Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Cauliflower Tikka Masala
Is anyone up for a 30-minute recipe? More precisely Indian butter cauliflower?
Like many of you, I got an Instant Pot for Christmas and I have been using it every day since last week. It quickly became my best friend. Cooking beans, chickpeas, lentils, rice, buckwheat or even oats has never been easier. I have to admit that waking up to warm steel-cut oats feels pretty good . What are you guys cooking in your Instant Pot?!
If Santa gave you this gadget for Christmas but you still dont know what to cook, I have something for you! This flavorful cauliflower curry is made in only one pot and comes with a creamy masala sauce that is infused with Indian spices. The recipe is super simple and requires very little active time. Its so easy you will be surprised by how good it tastes!
Before starting, be aware this is an Indian-inspired dish, it is not authentic in any way, although I tried to make a sauce with similar flavors.
You start by making the tadka, also called tempering. Fry some onions, garlic, and ginger until onions become soft and start to brown. Then add the spices. Frying the spices in oil enhances their flavors. Next, we add the diced tomatoes and a drizzle of maple syrup to balance with the acidity of the tomatoes.
Finally, add the cauliflower florets and close the lid. You are done! Its time to let the Instant Pot do its job.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Steam A Whole Head Of Cauliflower In The Instant Pot
Published: · by Jess Smith · Jump to Recipe · · This post may contain affiliate links.
A whole head of steamed cauliflower is great for slicing into cauliflower steaks, chopping into florets, or drizzling with sauce for a beautiful vegetarian dish. Its easy and just takes a few minutes to steam it in the Instant Pot / pressure cooker.
Cauliflower is really having its 15 minutes of fame. Cauliflower rice, cauliflower gnocchithis vegetable is being transformed into all sorts of things. Frank and I were served a whole head of cauliflower in a rich butter sauce two years ago in Paris that inspired this Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon Butter Caper Sauce.
What To Serve With Mashed Cauliflower
This is the question I get asked most often. You can easily make Loaded Mashed Cauliflower by topping the finished mash with 4 slices of chopped bacon, 2 tablespoon sour cream, 2 sliced scallions, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
I also like to serve it with any type of hearty, cozy meat dish, especially my Ranch Pot Roast. You can also use it in place of mashed potatoes topping on Shepherds Pie to keep it lower in carbs. Its great with Swedish Meatballs, too!
Recommended Reading: Can You Put Foil In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot Spiced Quinoa And Cauliflower Rice Bowls
This dish is so healthy and flavourful. Quinoa is high in fiber, iron, protein, and manganese, which contributes to maintaining healthy bones. Cauliflower is high in vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate, and very low in calories. The lovely spices including ground turmeric, cumin, and coriander absorb into the ingredients and give the firm tofu, slightly nutty white quinoa, and cauliflower rice a pretty golden-yellow color. Recipe from Yay for Food.
Tips For Success And Faqs
- The cauliflower will be done very quickly so stay close to the Instant Pot. Youll need to release the pressure immediately when the Instant Pot beeps.
- Cut the cauliflower head into large enough florets that they wont be able to fall through the gaps in the trivet.
- Cut the pieces into evenly sized florets so that they will cook evenly you dont want any giant undercooked pieces, nor any tiny and overcooked pieces!
- Season the cauliflower well so that the flavor is distributed evenly and every bite is equally scrumptious.
- For crunchier cauliflower, use low pressure for zero minutes.
Can I freeze cooked cauliflower?
Technically, yes, however my recommendation is that you dont. If you do freeze it, be aware that its likely to be softer when it has defrosted than it was originally.
Can I increase or decrease the quantities?
Yes, you can! Please just be aware that the cooking times will likely change.
Recommended Reading: What Is L000 On Instant Pot
Trick To Make Perfect Cauliflower Rice In Instant Pot:
The trick to cooking perfect cauliflower rice are by:
- keeping the cauliflower florets really big. While steaming, it will not overcook if you have big florets on the steam pan.
- Another trick to avoid overcooking is by doing a QPR or quick pressure release.
- Though it increases the cooking temperature suddenly, it releases pressure and helps to avoid overcooking. Result soft yet lightly chewy and fluffy cauliflower rice.
- Another and most important of all is to give your cauliflower an ice-water bath as soon as you take them out from the steam pan. This ensures no further cooking and perfectly al-dente and fluffy cauli rice.
- The last trick that is optional though is to drain your cauliflower rice a little. This is important if you want to freeze your cauliflower rice and want to use it for some other recipes other than fried rice.
- Draining helps to release some of that unwanted extra moisture and then all you will be left is perfect cauliflower rice to use for other recipes.
Some of my most loved cauliflower recipes are: