How To Make Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli Without Steamer Basket
If you dont have a steamer basket, you can still make instant pot steamed broccoli. The trick is to cut your broccoli into larger sized pieces. The idea is to keep the broccoli on top of the metal trivet, and above the water on the bottom of the pot. If the broccoli touches the water, it will cook as if it were boiled instead of steamed.
What If My Broccoli Is Mushy
If you follow this method and youre still getting mushy broccoli, follow some of these troubleshooting ideas:
- Cut your broccoli pieces larger next time.
- Use the Low Pressure setting
- While prepping your broccoli, add the water to the Instant Pot and turn it to HIGH SAUTE. This will get the water hot and your broccoli will cook much quicker. After you put the broccoli in the Instant Pot, hit CANCEL to stop Saute mode. Then, follow the steps as listed .
For Instant Pot Shredded Cabbage:
- Remove the flimsy outer leaves from your cabbage and shred it. I prefer to shred mine in the food processor because it is easy to clean and very fast. You can also do this with a mandoline slicer or a knife, of course.
- Place 1-2 cups of water or broth in the inner pot, then place the cabbage in. You dont need to use the trivet or steaming basket for this.
- Cook on high for 2 minutes.
- For soups or for a softer result:;Let the pot naturally release pressure.
- For a side or crisper result: Perform a quick release to finish up with.
- Check out these 20 Instant Pot cabbage recipes and make sure to try out Sri Lankan Coconut Cabbage.
You May Like: How To Make Corned Beef In An Instant Pot
Getting Started Steaming In The Instant Pot
One of the best things about this Instant Pot technique is you need next to no special accessories to get the best results.
The required equipment is as follows
- An Instant Pot other electric pressure cooker brands will work too
- A steamer insert one likely came with your Instant Pot, but if not, this steamer insert looks like a great option I like the silicone handle to make it easy to lift the basket out of the pot and the silicone feet to keep it steady on the counter. Asteamer basket with multiple layers can be helpful if you want to steam different veggies at the same time and dont want to mix them.
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli:
- Chop broccoli head into florets.
- Place a steamer basket or trivet into the pot along with one cup of water.
- Place the broccoli into the basket . Here, you can add any spices, oil/butter, and fresh lemon youd like. Close the lid.
- From fresh:;Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes yes, zero. It will cook as the pot comes to pressure.
- From frozen: Cook on HIGH pressure for 2 minutes.
- Finish broccoli with a quick pressure release. Season now if youd like or add additional seasonings if youve already done so.
Don’t Miss: How Long Do You Cook Cabbage In Instant Pot
How To Steam Vegetables In Instant Pot
Once you learn how to steam veggies in Instant Pot, buy pre-chopped and trimmed cauliflower, broccoli, green beans and baby carrots, and steam them for a healthy and quick side dish any day!
- Prep Instant Pot. Add cold water and trivet or basket with vegetables.
- Pressure cook the veggies. Close the lid, set the valve to Sealing, and press the Manual or Pressure Cook button. Pressure Cook the vegetables until done.
- Do a quick release. Turn the valve to Venting immediately to quickly release the steam.
- Drizzle and serve. You dont want to use the keep warm function for these veggies. Transfer vegetables onto a serving plate immediately, so they dont continue to cook in the pot and turn to mush. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with tasty seasoning. Serve immediately while the veggies are at their best!
How To Make Instant Pot Broccoli: A Tutorial
Now, theres really hardly anything to say about making Instant Pot broccoli because its really that simple. This one isnt actually that much faster than steaming broccoli on the stovetop: theyre both very quick! But the Instant Pot method is even more hands off: all you have to do is chop the broccoli and press Go. Its one of our favorite broccoli recipes because its just that easy!
You May Like: How To Make Chile In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Broccoli
The first thing youll need to do is wash and cut up your head of broccoli. I usually just purchase the bag of pre-cut broccoli. Either way, youll want to keep your broccoli pieces a generous size. Cutting them down too small will result in overcooked broccoli.
If using your steamer basket, place the broccoli in the steamer basket. Then, add 1 cup of HOT water to your 6 qt Instant Pot . The reason we are adding HOT water is because it will cut down the cook time just slightly enough to keep that broccoli from overcooking.;
Add your steamer basket to the Instant Pot on top of the water . Close and lock the lid into place, turn the knob to sealing. Then press STEAM and adjust the time down to 0 minutes. This just means that the Instant Pot will come to pressure, and once it has reached the correct pressure on the inside of the pot the cook cycle will be over.
Once the cook cycle is over, turn the knob on top to manually release the pressure, also known as a quick release or QR.;
Once all of the pressure has been released, the pin will drop and your lid will unlock.
You now have perfectly steamed broccoli!;
If you loved what you saw here, get more of it on , &! Id love to connect! Sign up for my weekly newsletter below to never miss a new recipe again!
For Whole Spaghetti Squash:
- Start by cutting the squash in half. My personal preference is to slice the spaghetti squash crosswise rather than lengthwise because it produces longer strands that better resemble spaghetti. Youve gotta get a good twirl on your fork! They also soak up sauce better this way. Then, remove the seeds.
- Place a steamer basket or trivet in the pot along with one cup of water.
- Place the squash halves into the basket or trivet and seal the lid.
- Set the pressure cooker to cook on high for 7 minutes and follow up with a quick release. You can do a natural pressure release for a few minutes if you prefer your pasta well done. A quick-release will give you al dente results.
You May Like: Can The Instant Pot Go On The Stove
How To Use The Instant Pot As A Steamer
Im not talking about pressure steaming here, but;simply using the Instant Pot as a countertop steamer. I know people that live in NYC, and they live in some tiny spaces. Some barely have kitchens, and some lack them completely. This is where the Instant Pot shines again, versatility. No stove, no stockpot, no problem. This post shows you how easy it is to steam vegetable on your countertop in 15 to 20 minutes flat.
Pour 2 cups of water into your Instant Pot. Set to saute, and adjust the heat level to more. The water will reach a simmer in 5 to 6 minutes.
The water reached 203°F after 6 minutes without the lid on. The water will reach temperature a minute or so faster if you leave the lid on while preheating.
The optional Instant Pot glass lid;has a small vent hole at the top that releases some steam. The power of the steam in the pot also causes the lid to rattle ever so slightly, the same way some slow cookers do.
Want More Easy Side Dish Recipes
This Instant Pot broccoli is one of our very favorite easy side dishes! A few more we might recommend: our Parmesan potato wedges are seriously good, this BEST kale salad is delightful, and these Instant Pot Brussels sprouts are super quick. And then of course, our best green salads are always a hit.
Don’t Miss: How To Convert Recipes To Instant Pot
Place The Broccoli In The Instant Pot With Water Pressure Cook On High For 0 Minutes
Add the florets to the Instant Pot with ½ cup water. Then heres the fun part: set the timer to 0 minutes! It sounds counter-intuitive, but if youre an Instant Pot pro youll know how it works.
Every time the Instant Pot cooks something, it has to come up to pressure: kind of like preheating. Each recipe takes a different amount of time to preheat, depending on how much volume is in the pot. In this case, its about 5 minutes for the pressure cooker to come up to pressure. Once it does, the building pressure in the pot has already cooked the brocolli! The Instant Pot will beep and you can move to Step 3, which is
Can I Make Instant Pot Frozen Veggies Without A Basket
You don’t want to put the veggies right in the liner with the water. This will boil the veggies, and result in mushy veggies.;
You don’t need the exact Instant Pot steamer basket I have, but you do need a steamer basket of some sort.;
You can use a bowl, but the veggies will not cook evenly. The veggies in the middle might even still be frozen.;
So, no, I am going to say not to make Instant Pot frozen veggies without a steamer basket.;
Read Also: How To Slow Cook In The Instant Pot
How To Steam In The Instant Pot
This Post Contains Affiliate Links..
How to steam in the Instant Pot. If you would like to steam your favourite fruits, vegetables, fish, desserts, and eggs in the instant pot pressure cooker, then this is how it is done.
I originally shared with you my instant pot steam guide back in 2017. I have steamed a lot more in the instant pot now and this is the updated version.
At home in the Milner kitchen most of the instant pot recipes we cook on a day to day basis involve using the steamer function.
It has been great fun to share with you these delicious recipes over the years and to show you my favourite of the Instant Pot buttons.
But it feels like I have barely covered the steam function, and this is why I wanted to put this blog post together for you.
But first I am sure you are wondering what the big deal is with the steam function on the Instant Pot and why you should be using it?
Well firstly when I think of the Instant Pot the first thing that enters my mind is what most people perceive an Instant Pot to be about:
- Quick cooking
- All in one cooking
- Easy cooking
This means that the bulk of people that buy them are always thinking about something quick.
Not necessarily about healthy eating and probably why the cheesecake has become as successful as it has. You can make a cheesecake much quicker than you could before and it is so simple as well.
This means that the steamer section, is just never given credit because we always think of the steamer for healthy eating
How To Steam Vegetables Without A Steamer In The Microwave
So, you dont have a steamer or steamer basket and you want to give your veggies that lovely, steamed look and texture. Or maybe you just want a quicker and simpler method of preparing steamed vegetables without the steamer. We have you covered with this simple method that anyone can do.
You can steam your veggies without those methods just. They come out of the microwave nicely steamed, looking plump and moist. How to steam vegetables without a steamer basket?
If you have long veggies you want to steam, just wrap them in a wet paper towel and put them on a microwaveable or in a microwave-safe dish. Then, warm up the food in the microwave. For a pound of asparagus or carrots, you need to warm it for about two minutes.
For shorter vegetables, like broccoli and cauliflower, you should place them in a microwave safe dish and put a little water in the dish. For best results, cover the dish with some plastic wrap and leave a small vent in one corner to let out the steam. Then, microwave for about three minutes. Your broccoli and cauliflower will come out plump and soft, just as if you used the steamer.
You may have to make minor adjustments for certain vegetables, but the same basic principles work for them all. Steaming them in the microwave is easy as long as you get a little water involved, but dont crowd your vegetables too much and be sure to use a dish thats microwave safe to steam them in.
Also Check: How To Convert Slow Cooker Recipe To Instant Pot
Here Is How To Steam Vegetables Without A Steamer
So lets get started.
1. Choose the right pot
For cooking;vegetables without boiling them in water, you want a good pot with a hermetically sealing lid. A lid that lets to build up condensate in the pot. You also want a thicker bottom, so that the heat is spread evenly.
The size matters too. You want your pot to be filled 3/4 with veggies, that way the condensate can build up on the underside of the lid and drop down to the bottom. For fewer veggies choose a smaller pot.
2. Use some water
Use some water, depending on the pot and lid you are having. If the lid of a pot does not close the pot tightly, more water will evaporate, so you do need more in the beginning. The AMC pot does not need any additional water. It takes some practice to find out how much water your pot needs, but its well worth it! The water is there to protect the vegetables from burning and for generating of the steam not for boiling the vegetables in it.
3. Layer the vegetables
Layer the vegetables into the pot, the vegetables with longer cooking time first and the others on top. For example: potatoes -> cauliflower -> broccoli.
Asparagus and peas can be cooked side by side because they need approximately the same cooking time. Because the vegetables are not cooked in water, each will keep its color and also its own taste. Every vegetable can of course also be cooked separately, but why, if you can save energy and use fewer pots . Close the lid and start the cooking process.
3. Choose the heat setting
Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli is one of the easiest ways to make steamed broccoli that I know of, and the fastest! You can make your broccoli anywhere from slightly crunchy to nice and soft. Bonus, you also free up the stovetop while it cooks. Plus, this is great for meal prep, because you can make a big basket at once and portion it for lunches all week long. Personally, I work full time, so anywhere I can save time in the kitchen is a plus for me. So, I use the instant pot to make big batches of steamed veggies, portion them with a protein, and freeze for the week!
Read Also: How To Cook Pumpkin In Instant Pot
For Whole Sweet Potatoes:
- Just like with whole potatoes, you want to begin by poking your sweets with a fork a few times. Then, you can choose to pile them in the pot, wrap them individually in foil with seasoning, or use a steamer basket .
- Add one cup of water to the pot.
- For small to medium sweet potatoes, set the pot to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. For large sweet potatoes, set the pot to cook at high pressure for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for around ten minutes before performing a quick release.
Important Tips For Steaming Vegetables In An Instant Pot
As mentioned earlier, this method is an incredibly easy way to steam vegetables. That being said, I have two important tips for you.
- Be sure to cut your vegetables in pieces that are as close in size as possible. This will help ensure that the vegetables cook evenly.
- Wait to add seasonings until after you remove the vegetables from the Instant Pot. This will ensure that your veggies have the best flavor possible.
Also Check: How To Cook Eggs In The Instant Pot
Loading Your Steam Basket