Place Chicken In The Pot
If possible, its best if chicken breasts are separated rather than frozen together in a large chunk. Simply place the meat in the liquid with as little overlapping as possible. If your chicken breasts are frozen together, you can either run some hot water over them and wedge them apart with a butter knife. Otherwise, you will need to increase the cooking time. The amount of time to increase will vary depending on how large the pieces are.
How To Use Instant Pot Chicken Breast
Congratulations! You’ve got tender, juicy chicken breast that’s ready to use in this week’s meals. Rub a little butter and salt on your whole chicken breasts and reheat for an easy weeknight meal . Use cubed chicken in Chef John’s top-rated Spicy Chicken Noodles. Shredded chicken makes Mexican night a breeze when used in this Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup or Baked Chicken and Rice Chimichanga. Browse our entire collection of chicken recipes for more inspiration.
How To Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
I know that this is such an easy recipe that most of you probably dont need tips on how to make shredded chicken, but there are a few things that I think are key so Im going to drop some hints anyway!
Do with them what you will
- Make sure you add enough liquid. The liquid is what makes for a tender, flavorful shredded or pulled chicken. Broth adds so much more flavor than water, and more liquid = more moisture in your chicken!
- Season well. You dont want to go overboard, but keep in mind that meat is best seasoned during the cooking process and not after . You will drain most of the liquid afterward, so you will not be consuming the full amount of salt, etc. as is listed in the recipe.
- Breasts or thighs? You can use either boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, or throw some of each in all together! Thighs have a richer flavor, and breasts are leaner. You choose.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Meatballs In Instant Pot
What To Do If Chicken Is Undercooked
For any cut of chicken, you need to verify that the inside of the chicken reaches at least 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer to verify that the chicken is fully cooked.
If your chicken is almost, but not completely cooked when you open the lid, put the lid back on the top of the pot and let it sit for an additional 2-3 minutes. The heat trapped inside the Instant Pot will finish cooking the chicken.
If your chicken is very under-cooked , you can set the Instant Pot to 2 minutes high pressure and then do a quick release. This will help the chicken finish cooking the rest of the way.
Donât Miss: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Place chicken breasts in the inner pot of the instant pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1 cup pineapple juice or chicken stock and season with minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Place lid on instant pot and be sure vent knob is pointed towards sealed.
- Set pressure cooker to the cooking time based on the size of chicken breasts. NOT how many chicken breasts you are cooking.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release of pressure. This is key to keeping your chicken breasts tenderâdonât be tempted to do a quick release of pressure.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the liquid and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving or shredding.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Frozen Pork Loin In Instant Pot
You May Like: Cooking Ground Beef From Frozen
Chicken Should Be Cooked To An Internal Temperature Of 165f Before Consuming
How to cook frozen chicken in an instant pot. You want to avoid adding pieces of chicken that have been frozen solid together directly inside of the instant pot, as the chicken wont cook evenly. Press the manual or pressure cook button and cook at high pressure. See below for my guide on how long to cook frozen chicken in the instant pot.
Use your fingers to run this mixture all over the chicken. Place the cover on the instant pot and make sure it’s set to. Add 1 cup liquid to a 6 quart instant pot, or 1 ½ cups for the 8 quart.
You can cook fresh or frozen chicken in a pressure cooker. Check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, and youre ready to enjoy it! Then add frozen vegetables and sprinkle pasta .
Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the instant pot and put the bay leaf in there too. Once the cooking time is done, do a natural release for 5 minutes and then remove the lid. Season the chicken breasts with the italian herb blend or your favorite herb blend.
Remove the chicken tenders from the instant pot. How to cook frozen chicken thighs in the instant pot. We have found that gently submerging chicken packaging in water allows the chicken to slightly defrost just enough around the edges to remove the chicken.
The chicken needs to be in individual pieces. Salt the water well, and add additional seasoning as desired. Lay the frozen chicken breasts on top of the rice.
Place frozen chicken on top of the rack. Add chicken, broth, and spices.
Learn How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot Or Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker And Easily Solve The Dinnertime Dilemma Of Frozen Chicken
Knowing how to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot is a dinnertime game-changer!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. This helps to offset the expenses associated with operating this site. You can read my full disclosure policyhere.
Have you ever experienced the age-old mealtime dilemma? You know the one. Its time to start making dinner, but -GASP- the chicken breasts you were planning on using are still frozen!!
Im a big fan of meal planning, which can help eliminate this problem. BUT, sometimes life happens, and its 5pm but you forgot to thaw out the chicken.
Sure, you could throw the frozen chicken in the microwave, but Ive always felt like that alters the texture of the meat in a not-so-tasty way.
And, youre really only thawing the meat that way, so you still have to cook it another way. Which doesnt really simplify life for us, does it?
Enter: the Instant Pot. AKA the dinnertime-saver.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
Perfect Instant Pot Chicken Breast
But chicken breast can be a bit more tricky to cook perfectly. Thankfully, after 20 plus tries, I have perfected cooking Instant Pot Chicken Breast. In fact, now I prefer preparing chicken breast in the Instant Pot over any other cooking method.
Whether fresh or frozen, I can whip up Instant Pot Chicken Breasts in record time and they turn out perfectly tender and juicy every single time.
What To Do If The Chicken Isnt Done
- If your chicken doesnt read 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer when you open up the Instant Pot but is pretty close , close the lid and let it rest for another 5 minutes before checking the temperature again. Often this rest is enough to get the chicken up to a safe temperature.
- If its still not done, you can recover the Instant Pot and set for an additional 2 minutes of pressure cook time.
- Last, if you prefer, you can finish cooking the chicken in a 350 degree F oven.
You May Like: Which Instant Pot Has The Recall
Why Does My Instant Pot Say Burn
- A BURN warning on an Instant Pot occurs when the heat sensor reads a high temperature on the bottom of the pot, which can indicate scorching. This causes the pot to stop heating until it is resolved.
- Make sure you are using the required amount of water for your Instant Pot model. You shouldnt have a problem with this if you follow the instructions here, because this method uses enough water to prevent the warning.
Tips To Make The Best Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Allow the pressure to naturally release for at least 10 minutes: This helps keep the meat from seizing up and becoming tough. It will also help finish the meat to cook through completely and absorb more flavours.
- Thicken the sauce: I really enjoy this dish without needing to thicken the sauce. If you prefer a thicker sauce, remove the cooked chicken from the Instant Pot, and turn on the Sauté setting. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes until reduced and slightly thickened. Alternatively, make a slurry by mixing 3 Tablespoons water with 3 Tablespoons flour until smooth. Stir into the sauce and cook on saute for 1 2 minutes until thickened.
- Use fresh spices: Paprika, in particular, loses its strength and flavour rather quickly. Use the freshest spices possible for maximum flavour.
- Dont add too much liquid: Repeating this again due to how important it is to not add too much liquid. Particularly for this recipe which includes vegetables that release a lot of liquid when pressure cooked.
- No need to use a trivet: Most recipes will have you place the chicken thighs on a trivet to prevent them from boiling in the liquid. In this recipe, the chicken will rest on the large amount of onions and peppers so one is not needed. That said, if you are omitting the peppers, or you dont have a lot of vegetables, consider using a trivet if you have one.
- Remove a few onions for garnish: This is optional but once the onions brown, I like to remove a few and reserve them for garnish.
You May Like: Steaming Tamales In Instant Pot
Tips For Making Cooking From Frozen In Instant Pot
Serving Recommendations For Cooked Chicken Breast
There are so many ways to answer the question on what to do with cooked chicken breast! Here are a few ways to turn your Instant Pot chicken breast recipe into a meal:
- Shredded: Shred meat with 2 forks, refrigerate and use to make chicken salad or white chicken chili. Or skip sauteing and use instead of ground turkey to make pasta bake.
- Diced: Cube to add protein to vegetarian pasta dish, easy spaghetti recipe or even vegetable soup or borscht. Why not?!
- Low carb meal: Make one of healthy zucchini recipes and enjoy quick dinner entire family will love.
- Meal prep: Refrigerate whole or cubed and use throughout the week for lunches sub out your sandwich deli meat for chicken or use in Cobb salad.
- Freeze for later. When ready to eat, thaw on the counter for a few hours or in the fridge overnight.
Alternately, browse 65 chicken recipes perfect for putting your Instant Pot chicken to good use!
Don’t Miss: How To Make Spaghetti In The Instant Pot
How Do I Use A Pressure Cooker
Cooking with a pressure cooker in 6 easy steps: Add food & liquid in the pot. Close lid, ensure valve is at the correct position. Select pressure setting. Electric pressure cookers: select cooking program and time. Wait for the pressure to build up inside the pot. Starts cooking under pressure. Release pressure.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Meatballs In Instant Pot
What To Do With The Chicken Broth
A great thing about this recipe is that you get some amazing chicken broth for free.
As the chicken gets cooked inside the Instant Pot all the juices come together in the pressure cooker pot.
You can use this chicken broth to make some amazing chicken soup by adding fresh vegetables like onion, carrots, scallion, peas, corn, and some shredded chicken on top.
Safe it and store it in a resealable bag, label it, and store it in the freezer.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Sirloin Tip Roast In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Frozen Chicken
Take your chicken out of the package. Put it on a cutting board. Spray a bit of cooking spray on the chicken and sprinkle with chicken seasoning.
Brush the spray and seasoning on the frozen chicken so the spices stick on the chicken.
Turn the chicken, spray the chicken and sprinkle the other side of the chicken
Pour the water into the pot and place the trivet in the Instant Pot. Put the chicken in the Instant Pot chicken breast side up.
Close the lid and secure then turn the valve to sealing. Select the Manual or Pressure Cooking on High.
Set it to based upon the weight of the poultry:
- 3 lbs whole chicken 50 minutes
- 4 lbs whole chicken 60 minutes
- 5 lbs whole chicken 70 minutes
This is excluding the time it takes the Instant Pot to come to pressure which is about 10 minutes.
The timer countdown starts.
When the cooking time is done natural release completely this will take about 15 minutes.
If you want crispy skin turn on the broiler and put the chicken in the oven and let it grill for 5 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
Should I Add Seasoning To My Chicken
Chicken breasts in the instant pot can be customized to whatever dish you are planning to put them in. Mexican food? Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Italian dish? Add some Italian seasoning or garlic.
For simple, versatile, chicken breast that can be used in meal prep, salad, etc, just add some salt and pepper along with your chicken broth or water. You can also use different juices for your liquid for some added sweetness to the chicken.
Use Instant Pot Whole Chicken In
This chicken is great to serve in parts with vegetables and rice or potatoes but you can also shred it and use it in several recipes like:
- Chicken salad a great creamy chicken salad that you can serve on a bun or toast
- Tomato soup add some shredded whole chicken to your tomato roasted soup as the finishing touch
Instant Pot Roast Beef And Potatoes
Chicken and fish arent the only meats you can cook from frozen even frozen hearty, rich beef turns out yummy in the Instant Pot. Youll find just that with this Instant Pot roast beef and potatoes recipe.
Any hearty cut of beef works here, from chuck roast to brisket. This roast gets doused in broth, onions, salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, and red pepper flakes. It cooks for 90 minutes longer than many pressure cooker recipes, but way less time than a roast in the oven or slow cooker.
To make a quick carrot and potato medley to accompany your roast, simply remove the roast and its drippings , and throw in cubed potatoes and carrots. Add water and salt, and cook them for four minutes. Thats all it takes!
You May Like: How To Cook Venison Roast In An Instant Pot
Defrosting Chicken In Your Pressure Cooker
This is my very favorite way to quickly take chicken breasts from frozen to recipe-readyI use this method at least once a week!
If your recipe calls for diced, thawed chicken, but you didnt defrost the chicken breasts in advance, theres an easy fix! Pour 1 cup water into your pressure cooking pot and place a trivet in the bottom. Balance the frozen chicken breasts on the trivet, stacking crosswise if necessary. Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 1 minute cook time.
When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker and use a quick pressure release. Remove the chicken from the pot, dice it into small pieces, and continue with the recipe as directed.
Use an instant-read thermometer to verify each chicken breast is at least 165ÃÂ°F in the thickest part of the breast after cooking.
With this method, the chicken will cook a little bit on the outside, but the inside with be thawed, easy to dice, and ready to use in your favorite pressure cooker recipes. You can also use this method to thaw your chicken breasts and then coat the breasts with your favorite barbecue sauce and grill them on the barbecue.
Use this technique with your favorite diced chicken recipes: