Homemade Apple Cider Ingredients
When you make this apple cider recipe, youll need:
- Assorted Apples – We use a combination of red, yellow, and green, but you can use whatever apples you prefer.
- Orange – For the citrus, we use an orange, but you could use a lemon or even a grapefruit for the tang.
- Whole spices – We use cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, ginger, nutmeg , and star anise. You could also use all spice.
- Water – The water helps to cook and juice the apples.
- Sweetener – We often use brown sugar, but you could use maple syrup, agave, or monk fruit.
- Cranberries or Pears – These are optional.
For garnish, we recommend having:
- Fresh round orange slices
What Are The Best Apples To Use For Apple Cider
There is no one type of apple that will give the best results for apple cider. In this recipe, I stuck to gala apples. However, you can try and play with different varieties and mixtures.
You can try mixing sweet, bitter, and even sharp apples if youd like! Play around with it and see what you like the best.
What Does It Taste Like
This Instant Pot Apple Cider literally tastes like Fall in a cup. Its rich and warm like a hug. I have enjoyed it warm then stored it in the fridge and the following day pour some over ice. Ive also just reheated it in a microwave and stovetop too! You taste a little bit of everything. You can taste the apples, of course, the oranges, star anise, cinnamon, cloves and nutneg.
I personally prefer light-tasting, crisp apple cider so I dont put too many spices in there but if you want it more heavy tasting then you can feel free to add what you like! You can always alter the mixture too after its cooked and add in what you want.
Recommended Reading: Brussel Sprouts In Pressure Cooker
Why Make Homemade Cider
I always purchased apple cider at the store for holiday parties and then dressed it up with a few extra spices like cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. Its great, but theres also a lot of extra preservatives and additives that I dont love.
When you make apple cider yourself, you get the option to decide what you put in it. And to be honest, its not a lot of things. You can keep these ingredients on hand and make up a batch of cider whenever you need it. It takes just about 45 minutes from start to finish.
Thats not something you could do on the stove top, or in the slow cooker, so the Instant Pot really opens up the possibilities here. I love it when I find things that only the Instant Pot can do well.
Why Use An Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is one of the most useful kitchen appliances you can buy, because it drastically cuts down on the cooking time for developing flavors in soups and stews, getting tough cuts of meat tender, and even baking a cheesecake. And there are many accessories that will help you get more out of your Instant Pot.
- Dont Have an Instant Pot Yet?This guide can help you choose the right one.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Without Yogurt Setting
What Is Apple Cider
Apple cider is more popular name in US, Canada. It refers to sweet beverage drink made from apples. Its an un-fermented drink made by crushing fruit, typically apples. The drink can be spiked with alcohol/spirit of your choice or served as non-alcoholic drink.
Apple cider is THE BEST winter drink that helps you keep warm and happy.
Apple Cider Butter From Leftover Pulp
Discard the orange peel, and whole spices from the leftover pulp.
In a blender, blend the pulp into a smooth puree.
Transfer the puree to a pan. Simmer the puree for 10-15 minutes, or until all the moisture has evaporated and the mixture thickens quite a bit, just like butter consistency.
Add ground cinnamon, and maple syrup or preferred sweetener, adjust to taste. Mix well.
Cool completely, and transfer to a airtight container.
Enjoy this fresh homemade apple cider butter!!
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Homemade Apple Cider Instant Pot Stove Top
- Post comments:
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!
This Homemade Apple Cider is the perfect beverage to enjoy this fall and during winters. This Instant Pot cider is so easy to make, with just the few ingredients you can make the best cider at home. Made with fresh sweet and tart apples, orange, ginger, aromatic cinnamon, cloves and star anise.
Instant Pot Apple Cider Ingredients
I love that this apple cider recipe uses only a handful of easy to find ingredients. You can probably grab them all at your local grocery store. To make this cider in your Instant Pot you will need:
Apples You will need about a dozen apples for this recipe. Grab a variety of apples so that you get some sweet notes mixed in with some tart ones. Granny Smiths, Macintosh, Galas, etc.
Orange One orange is all that is needed here. It brings a great contrasting flavor in this cider.
Cinnamon sticks Grab a few cinnamon sticks to add in the Instant Pot when cooking.
Brown sugar Sometimes we add brown sugar and sometimes we leave it out. It gives a nice caramel-y flavor to the drink but is not needed for sweetness.
Spices Cloves and nutmeg are 2 spices that are perfect for fall baking. They add a great depth of flavor. You can use whole or ground cloves and nutmeg. You can also use apple pie spice or even pumpkin pie spice, if you need a quick substitute.
Read Also: Can You Put Frozen Food In Instant Pot
How To Make Apple Cider In An Instant Pot
How To Make Apple Cider
Scroll down below for the printable step-by-step recipe for this hot apple cider!
Read Also: Instant Pot Tri Tip Roast And Potatoes
The Last Step: A Beautiful Garnish
While Alex and I were testing this recipe, we tried a version where you cook the apple cider with fruit. After the cook time, the fruit had all sunk to the bottom and was no longer a beautiful vibrant color. It also didnt add a lot to the flavor. So we decided to use it as a garnish. Here weve used sliced oranges and whole cranberries to make it look lovely for serving. This is great for entertaining! If you dont want to use a garnish, you absolutely dont have to: it tastes great either way!
Instant Pot Apple Cider Is A Hot Holiday Drink Thats Perfect For Brunch Or Serving All Day Long Serve This With Christmas Dinner And Enjoy
Instant Pot apple cider is great! Kids love it and adults can spike it just a bit to keep you warm all day long. When its chilly outside and guests are over youll want this for brunch or a Christmas dinner drink. Just one easy Instant Pot recipe here on The Typical Mom blog.
- We initially made this Crockpot hot apple cider a few years ago and that was great. Now that were a bit Instant Pot pressure cooker recipe obsessed, we had to make it this way too.
Yes you can add all these items together individually and just warm it up in mugs in the microwave. However when you have a big group its nice to keep it on warm for hours and hours at a time. Christmas brunch is best when you can enjoy the goodies all day long.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Mash Apples And Strain
- Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then release the remaining pressure by carefully turning the pressure valve to ‘Venting’ position. . Open the lid after pressure pin drops.
- Using a spatula stir and break down the apples. Alternatively, use a potato masher to fully mash the apples. The apples are so soft at this point, that they break down very easily.
- Strain this mix through a strainer into a separate bowl. Use a spatula to push down the pulp.
- After you are done straining once, strain the liquid once more, stirring only lightly, so the strainer holds back the pulp.
- Don’t discard the pulp and it can be used as applesauce for making pancakes or a Spiced Apple cake. The apple cider is ready to drink now. If you like it chilled, wait for it to cool down for 15 minutes, then refrigerate.
Inspirations For This Dish
My inspiration to make this delicious quick and easy instant pot apple cider comes from my last visit to the pumpkin patch. It was my first time having apple cider and I loved it! I picked a bag of 5 lb apples and bought it home and immediately started making a batch of apple cider in my slow cooker. I let it cook for about 8 hours and at the end of it, I knew I needed to make this every Fall from that point on.
Now, 8 hours is a long time and I thought there might be a lot of people like me who doesnt necessarily have the patience to wait that long. I love the instant pot because its so quick to use and regardless of the dish, almost always comes out perfect!
Cleaning up was very minimal which I love because Im a naturally messy person and I didnt use a ton of different equipment and materials to get this done right.
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Adjust The Sugar And Spices
Best part about making Apple Cider at home is you can adjust the sweetener and the amount of warming spices to your liking. If you do not want to add too much sugar, use only sweet variety of apples like Honey Crisp, Gala or Fuji. If you like tart flavors, add more green sour apples like Granny Smith.
Same goes for the spices used. If you want to tone down the spice level, reduce the amount of cinnamon, dry ginger and cloves.
Why Does It Take My Instant Pot So Long To Heat Up
The time leading up to actual cook time may seem long and even confusing , but its an important part of the process! The Instant Pot is working on building up the appropriate amount of pressure that it will be cooking the food at.
It handles liquids and solids differently and also fresh and frozen differently, so the time can vary. Most recipes take between 10 and 25 minutes to build up pressure.
Read Also: Can You Make Tamales In An Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Homemade Apple Cider:
Youll also like
- Total Time:30 minutes
Our Adaptations For Making Apple Cider In An Instant Pot
We changed up a couple of things from the book, but ultimately ended up with a batch of yummy cider, and the kids had fun and learned along the way. The main adjustment that we made was to make the apple cider in our Instant Pot. Instant Pot apple cider pressure cooks for 15 minutes, then naturally releases for 15 minutes followed by a quick release. Cider over the stove takes over 3 hours to simmer, but your house smells AMAZING while it simmers. If you dont have an Instant Pot, no worries! Just grab a copy of the book and follow the instructions for stovetop simmering!
Don’t Miss: How To Boil Eggs In An Instant Pot
What Equipment Do I Need
The equipment needed to make this instant pot apple cider is very minimal. All you need is a chopping board and knife to cut the apples and orange. Measuring spoons and cups to measure out the sugar, water and spices and the instant pot to cook it in!
Last but not least, youll need a strainer. A metal one works fine but a cheesecloth works the best and keeps away any bits!
Tips For Making And Serving Spiced Apple Cider:
- This recipe for hot Apple Cider can be made with almost any variety of apples. I use Pink Lady or Gala apples for sweetness, and Granny Smith apples to give the cider a slight tart bite.
- It is pretty easy to double-up this recipe and make it in large batches, which makes it perfect for serving during big get-togethers and holiday parties.
- Don’t discard the pulp you get after straining the cider for the second time. We use that pulp to make Apple Spice Pancakes or in Apple Spice cake, and the flavors are AMAZING!
- I serve this cider warm in a cup with a cinnamon stick for that added sweet and warm cinnamon flavor.
- If you are looking to spike your apple cider with alcohol to make a Hard Apple Cider, a great combination is Rum or Bourbon. I follow a ratio of 4 parts of this homemade apple cider to 1 part rum, you can tweak it to your liking.
Note: The nutrition facts below are my estimates. If you are following any diet plan, I recommend cross-checking with your preferred nutrition calculator.
Read Also: Electric Pressure Cooker Beets
Crockpot Apple Cider Also Works In An Instant Pot
Did you know that an Instant Pot has a slow cooker setting? If youve got a pressure cooker, this recipe works in the Instant Pot, too. How to do it?
- Cook the spices and cider on the Slow Cooker setting for 3 hours. The Low setting on a Crock Pot / slow cooker corresponds to the Normal Slow Cooker setting on the Instant Pot / pressure cooker. So, youll follow the recipe using this setting.
Hot Apple Cider Ingredients
For this homemade apple cider recipe, youll need these ingredients:
- CINNAMON: We used a cinnamon stick, but you can use ground cinnamon too!
- NUTMEG: I just love the flavor of the nutmeg in this recipe!
- APPLES: Gala and granny smith apples are the PERFECT combo for this apple drink.
- ORANGE: Just one orange is used in this recipe to add a little more flavor.
- LEMON JUICE: I used lemon juice to add to the fruit of this recipe.
- WATER: Lots of water is used to create your cider!
- BROWN SUGAR: Light brown sugar is optional if you prefer your cider a little sweeter.
Also Check: Instant Pot Rice Button
Easy Instant Pot Apple Cider
Is there anything better than the smell of spiced apple cider filling the house on a cold day? How about an easy instant pot apple cider recipe that comes together in no time and is just perfect as a make-ahead drink for a crowd. Perfect for the Holiday season and easily prepped ahead of time, giving you more time to celebrate with friends and family.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that Ive linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.