Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs Faq:
How long do hard boiled eggs last? Up to a week in the fridge, if they are unpeeled. Or up to 4 days if they are peeled.
How long to hard boil eggs vs. soft boil eggs? In the Instant Pot, cook the eggs for 5 minutes to hard boil or 3 minutes to soft boil, followed by 3 minutes of natural release, followed by a quick release.
How to peel hard boiled eggs? Just give the egg a gentle tap or roll on the counter to break the shell. Then loosen and peel off the shell with your fingers.
Do older eggs work better? Ive found this to be the case with the stovetop method, but the Instant Pot seems to be more forgiving. I often use just-purchased eggs for this method and they always turn out great!
What size of Instant Pot do you use? I have only tested this method on the 6-quart Instant Pot that I own. Cooking times/amounts may vary with a different size or brand of pressure cooker.
Perfect Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
How to make perfect Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs. Cooking hard boiled eggs in your Instant Pot is quick, easy and hands-off.
Hard boiled eggs were one of the first things that I cooked in my Instant Pot, and I immediately fell in love with these easy peel eggs. While boiling eggs on the stove is also simple, I love that the Instant Pot makes the process especially hands-off.
Finally Easy Peel Hard Boiled Eggs:
The instant pot is the best way to Hard Boil Farm-Fresh Eggs because they are easy to peel. I used to hate boiling my Moms fresh eggs because half of the whites were lost with the shell after peeling. They were a mess and so ugly for deviled eggs. The instant pot is by far the best way to hard boil fresh farm eggs because cooking the eggs in a pressure cooker makes them easy to peel.
You May Like: Where Can I Find An Instant Pot
Safety Tips For Cooking Eggs In Instant Pot:
Why Use An Ice Bath
The ice bath will cool the eggs immediately so they wont keep cooking in the residual heat. Plus, the eggs will be shocked, which makes them very easy to peel.
What if you dont have ice? No problem at all! Simply run the eggs under cold tap water for 1 to 2 minutes, until they are cooled enough to peel. The eggs might be slightly easier to peel using the ice bath method, but the tap water method is a lazy one that I use all the time.
Don’t Miss: What Are The Benefits Of An Instant Pot
Can You Make Them Ahead Of Time
You can store hard boiled eggs for about a week in the refrigerator. If the hard boiled eggs are already peeled, use them the same day for the best quality. I like to make a dozen hard boiled eggs on the weekend and then use them for breakfast or add them to my lunch during the week. Its so easy, convenient, and healthy. Eggs are good for you so nutritional and a great source of high-quality protein.
How Many Eggs Can I Boil In The Instant Pot
You can make 12 eggs in a 3 quart Instant Pot. You can make 18 eggs in a 6 quart Instant Pot. You can make 24 eggs in the 8 quart Instant Pot at a time.
I’ve tried this method 3 times and the eggs have been perfect every time. They’ve also been super easy to peel. I really can’t believe I haven’t tried this method before.
Since it works so well and it makes it easy to do I’ll be using this method from now on. I also like that the shells are so easy to remove as that is always the worst part of making hard boiled eggs for me.
You May Like: How To Make Beans In The Instant Pot
Recipe Notes And Tips For The Best Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Allow the pressure cooker to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes before quickly releasing the remaining pressure. This will allow the eggs to continue to cook and firm up without overcooking.
- Once cooked, place the eggs into ice water bath. This stops the cooking process so they dont overcook, and also makes them easier to handle to peel.
- If making ahead of time, let the eggs cool fully before storing them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- You can also make a dozen eggs using this recipe without changing the cooking time.
How Long To Boil Eggs In The Instant Pot:
Instant Pot Soft Boiled Eggs: 5 minutes on high pressure was what it took for consistently fully cooked egg whites with a wet yolk. Ive seen several tutorials say 4, 3 or even 2 minutes, but I found anything less than 5 minutes to have a portion of the whites still a little wet and more difficult to peel.
Medium Boiled Eggs: A range of 6-8 minutes seemed to all produced medium boiled eggs. These have fully cooked whites with a tender and somewhat creamy center.
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs: It took from 9-10 minutes on high pressure with 10 minutes being a dry yolk the ideal texture for making deviled eggs.
Also Check: Instant Pot Ms Pot Roast
How To Peel Hard Boiled Eggs
You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to peel these eggs. Once the eggs have been in the ice bath for 5 minutes, crack them on the kitchen counter, then gently roll them on the counter to crack the entire shell.
Now start peeling at the base of the egg, the rest of the peel will come right off by pulling.
How To Hard Boil Eggs In An Instant Pot
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
Also Check: Can You Can In An Instant Pot
Always Use Fast Release
Always use fast release immediately after the eggs are done cooking under pressure. If you leave the eggs in the pot, they will continue to cook in the residual heat and your eggs will be overcooked.
To safely release the pressure, use a long spatula or a pair of tongs to move the valve to the release side. Do make sure your hand is not over the valve while doing this.
One Caveat To Pressure Cooker Eggs
The only un-perfect thing about this way of hard boiling eggs is that, every so often, one of the eggs will crack its shell during cooking. When this has happened to me, it’s usually been during the 5 minute “natural release” period after the eggs are already cooked, so the crack is only superficially cosmetic. Not ideal if you’re planning to dye a bunch of Easter eggs, of course, but perfectly fine for deviled eggs.
If your eggs seem to be cracking more often, or are cracking before the whites are set, try cooking them at low pressure instead of high pressure. My own tests at low pressure gave inconsistent results. But every pressure cooker is a little different, and you might have better luck with yours.
The jury is still out on unicorns and affordable airfare. But easy-to-peel eggs? At least they are real.
You May Like: Can You Slow Cook In Instant Pot
More About Hard Boiled Egg Instant Pot Food
INSTANT POT HARD-BOILED EGGS – FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN
- Set the trivet in the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot® multi-cooker. Gently place the eggs on top of the trivet. Pour 1 cup water into the pot. Follow the manufacturer’s guide for locking the lid and preparing to cook. Set to pressure cook on low 4 minutes. After the pressure cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer’s guide for quick release and wait until the quick release cycle is complete. Be careful of any remaining steam and unlock and remove the lid. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a large ice bath and let cool for about 5 minutes.
INSTANT POT HARD BOILED EGGS – PRESSURE COOK RECIPES
- Place Eggs in Instant Pot: Place 1 cup of cold water and a trivet in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Place 6 – 8 large eggs on the steamer rack. Close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing position.
- Pressure Cook Eggs: Pressure cook at a) High Pressure: 8 minutes + Quick Release or b) Low Pressure: 12 minutes + Quick Release Open the lid carefully.
- Serve Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs: Peel the eggs under cold running tap water and serve immediately. Note: If you are not serving immediately, stop the cooking process by submerging the eggs in a cold water bath for roughly 5 minutes.
THE PERFECT HARD BOILED EGGS INSTANT POT RECIPES
HOW TO COOK THE BEST HARD BOILED EGGS IN THE INSTANT POT
FromEstimated Reading TimeFromEstimated Reading TimeFromFrom
How Do You Do Natural Release On Instant Pot
Natural release just simply means not opening the valve for a quick release of pressure. Instead, once the instant pot has stopped cooking, let it sit untouched so the pressure can release naturally. This usually takes anywhere from 15-25 minutes depending on the contents. In this Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs recipe, I let the eggs naturally release for a few minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
While your eggs are cooking youll want to prepare an ice bath. Just fill a bowl with ice cubes and then add cold water. Once cooked youre going to plunge your eggs into the ice bath which stops them from overcooking. When your hardboiled eggs are overcooked is when you start seeing that grey ring around the yolk plus the whites can take on a chewier texture . I leave them in the ice bath at least 5-10 minutes .
Voila, perfect eggs in seconds without overcooking them. Firm yet creamy yolks, perfect whites. These are great for Easter egg decorating , for deviled eggs or even to slice up and place on a Spinach Salad. The perfect on the go snack for any time of day!
Also Check: Instant Pot Made In Usa
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Use older eggs. Some sources say that using older eggs as opposed to fresh ones makes them easier to peel, so the hard-boiled method is a great way to use up any eggs that youve had for a week or two.
- Let them soak. Making use of an ice bath immediately after hard-boiling eggs helps loosen the shell from the whites the longer they sit, the easier they will peel.
- Keep it cool. Using both cold water and cold eggs at the beginning of the cooking process allows them to cook more evenly, as the water and eggs will come up to temperature together.
- Experiment with timing. The cooking time and conditions will remain the same regardless of whether you cook batches of three eggs or a dozen, so experiment with different cooking times to find your perfect level of soft- or hard-boiling in the Instant Pot.
- Consider altitude Those who live in higher-altitude locations may find they have to cook eggs for longer to achieve the same result, on account of a lower boiling point and cooking temperature in those conditions.
Instant Pot Egg Notes:
- You can play with the cooking time a bit, if you like. Try adding an additional minute or so if you want your eggs very, very firm. Ive tried 7 minutes, with no quick pressure release, which worked fine, but left me with eggs with a green-rimmed yolk . Five minutes results in a perfectly cooked, yet still yellow, yolk for me.
- If you dont want to do a quick pressure release, thats totally fine. You can just leave the eggs in there until the pressure cooker cools down naturally.
- You could absolutely do this in a stove-top pressure cooker as well same process and cooking time.
You May Like: Paleo Recipes Instant Pot
Don’t Miss A Recipe Get Peace Mail
Subscribe and get Turkey Schmurkey, my plant-based holiday eCookbook, for FREE!
Seriously, if you buy an Instant Pot for no other reason, Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs make it totally worth it.
In the Instant Pot, hard-boiled eggs come out cooked perfectly. Plus, when theyre cooked this way, theyre SO fast to make, and theyre almost always SUPER easy to peel.
I read somewhere that the hard-boiled eggs you find in the deli section are often cooked via pressure cooker. I guess they all knew something I didnt at least not until last December when I finally gave in to the, erm, pressure, and ordered my very own Instant Pot.
And now, Ill give you one guess as to what I use my Instant Pot for most.
You guessed it, my friends! I make hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot every. single. week. I mean, I make these recipes all the time, too, dont get me wrong. But eggs? Numero uno, hands down.
So, are you ready to learn how to make them yourself? Its so, so easy. SO EASY.
Lets do this.
First, fill your Instant Pot with 1 cup of water.
Place the steamer rack in the Instant Pot.
Add 6 large eggs to the rack like so. Point em up or point em down I dont notice a difference either way.
Replace the Instant Pot lid and set the release toggle to the SEALING position.
Press the Manual or, if you have a newer model, the Pressure Cook button. This will cook the eggs at high pressure. Set the cooking time for 5 minutes.
How Long To Cook The Eggs
Depending on what consistency you want the yolks to be, you will cook the eggs in the pressure cooker for three to nine minutes. In all cases, we immediately release the pressure inside the Instant Pot.
- At 3 minutes, the egg yolks will be soft and runny in the center with whites that are just set.
- At 4 to 5 minutes, the egg yolks will be jammy and bright yellow in the center with firmer whites.
- At 6 to 7 minutes, the egg yolks will be mostly set and the whites firm.
- At 8 to 9 minutes, the egg yolks will be completely cooked .
For snacks, deviled eggs, and chopped eggs for salads, I like cooking at high pressure for 7 to 8 minutes. For eggs perfect for soups like ramen, I stick with the runny middles that 3 minutes creates.
Recommended Reading: Dog Food Recipe Instant Pot
Does Altitude Matter When Cooking Eggs In The Pressure Cooker
Altitude does it make a difference? Im not sure. I live at about 5,000 ft above sea level. The eggs tested were all cooked at my current elevation. If you are at sea level, Id love to hear your results and alterations to this recipe. Ive heard there is a slight difference in cook time depending on elevation, but my guess is, this applies to much higher elevations, above 7-8,ooo feet or more.
Numbers-I cooked the eggs in four groups of batches in the Instant Pot: groups of 4 eggs, 6 eggs and 12 eggs. I did not see any difference in amount of eggs or changes to cooking time depending on the size of the Instant Pot I used. As I said earlier, I have both 6 & 8 quart Instant Pots.
The rack I used the rack that comes with the Instant Pot to cook the eggs. The eggs will scorch if cooked directly on the bottom of the insert to the Instant Pot, so make sure to use the metal rack, or a metal or silicone steaming basket.
Make sure to leave a comment and rate this recipe after youve used this method in your Instant Pot and let us know about any alterations youve made!
Originally posted in 2018, updated in 2022
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Eggs:
- Timings below are for large eggs. For medium eggs, reduce cook time by 1 minute and increase by 1 minute for extra large eggs.
- Start with refrigerated eggs.
- Its ok to stack eggs on the rack, but eggs should not touch the water or walls of the instant pot.
- Transfer cooked eggs to a bowl of ice water right away to prevent overcooking.
- We use a 6 Qt 7-in-1 Instant Pot Duo. You may need to experiment timings using a smaller or larger pressure cooker.
Also Check: How To Cook Hulled Barley In Instant Pot