Instant Pot Steamed Potatoes
It’s quick and easy to cook whole potatoes in the Instant Pot. Use the tender, steamed potatoes for mashed potatoes, potato salad, snacking, fries in the air fryer and any recipe that calls for pre-cooked potatoes.
Steamed potatoes make healthy meals for plant-based weight loss, since they are low in calorie density at about 350 calories per pound. They are also highly satiating, meaning they make you feel full and satisfied.
Combine steamed potatoes with a non-starchy vegetable like broccoli to further reduce the calorie density of your meal.
Which Potatoes Are Best In The Instant Pot
For this recipe, you can use any kind of potato, like Yukon Gold, red, or russet potatoes. Cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks, and they’re ready in under 15 minutes Take em out right when the timer goes off so they dont overcook, then use them however you like!
As is, they can be folded into a potato salad . For breakfast, I toss them into a skillet to make a quick hash with onions and peppers, or I brown them in the pan alongside sunny side up eggs.
For dinner, I mash them right in the hot pot after theyre done steaming to make easy mashed potatoes, or toss them in the oven to roast until crispy, as pictured here.
How To Cook Baby Potatoes In Instant Pot
Cooking Baby Potatoes in Instant Pot is like 1-2-3. Yes, it is that easy. And this is how you do it.
- Wash the baby potatoes thoroughly and remove any dirt on top. Place these babies inside the steamer basket.
- Take your IP and place the inner pot inside. Plug it in.
- Pour 1 cup of water inside the inner pot. If you are using the steamer that I have used, then place the short trivet inside. And if you are using the steamer basket that already has the legs, then skip the trivet.
- Place the steamer basket inside the inner pot. Close the lid and set the valve to SEALING.
- Press the Manual/Pressure Cooker Mode and set it on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- As the timer goes off, follow NPR .
- Once the safety valve drops down, open the lid and take the steamer basket out.
What I like about this method is that the potatoes get steamed and still are not drenched in the water. Easier to peel or season right away.
You May Like: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
Easy Instant Pot Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure for more information. Published: Sep 19, 2018
This recipe for Instant Pot potatoes is one of the easiest Instant Pot recipes you’ll ever make. There’s virtually no prep work, and you get fork-tender, perfectly cooked potatoes every time!
I’ve been making these baby potatoes in my Instant Pot for quite a while. It’s one of my family’s favorite side dishes, besides Instant Pot jasmine rice, and these gorgeous little spuds are on the menu frequently.
I used to bake baby potatoes in the oven or use them with sheet pan dinners. But, after making them in the Instant Pot, I won’t make them any other way! If you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish, this recipe is definitely for you!
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes For Thanksgiving
If you make just one pressure cooker Thanksgiving recipe this year, I definitely recommend it be mashed potatoes.
Check out my Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Thanksgiving Guide for tips on how to use your pressure cooker this Thanksgiving! I even have two guides to walk you through a meal, including turkey, stuffing, cranberry, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie.
Also Check: How To Clean Instant Pot Seal
Ingredients For Instant Pot Boiled Potatoes
The quick and easy Instant Pot potato recipe requires two simple ingredients:
- Potatoes: Purchase 1 pound of russet, red, gold or baby, the choice is up to you.
- Water: The addition of water helps create steam and facilitate even cooking.
- Salt: I recommend adding salt to the liquid for baby potatoes only since they cook directly in the water. You ‘can’ add 1 teaspoon salt to the water for medium and large potatoes, but it is not necessary.
Potatoes Undercooked Heres What To Do
Make sure you still have about a cup of water in the Instant Pot, then put the lid back on. Bring to pressure and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how hard your potatoes are. Then, let the pressure release naturally if you want the potatoes to cook longer. Alternately, do a quick release after cooking, before opening the lid.
Do I Have To Use A Steamer Basket
The easiest way to cook them is in a steamer basket. However, if you dont have one, I recommend doing your best to stack them on the trivet that was included with your pressure cooker.
You can cook them directly on the bottom of the pressure cooker, but they wont cook as evenly and will have a higher water content.
What To Serve With Mashed Potatoes
- Classic Meatloaf Meatloaf and mashed potatoes is a classic that we serve again and again throughout the cooler months.
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Roast This tender, flavorful pot roast cooks all day in the slow cooker and creates its own gravy as it cooks perfect for serving over mashed potatoes.
- Crispy Baked Cornflake Chicken This crowd-pleasing, healthier take on fried chicken is super crunchy and is a great counterpoint to creamy mashed potatoes.
Recommended Reading: Frozen Hamburger Meat In Instant Pot
More About How To Steam Potatoes In Instant Pot Recipes
INSTANT POT RED POTATOES RECIPE – READY IN 10 MINUTES
- Cut your potatoes into quarters, leaving the skin on. You can peel them first, but the skin will fall right off if you have picky eaters.
INSTANT POT SWEET POTATOES – PRESSURE COOK RECIPES
- Pressure Cook Sweet Potatoes: Place 1 cup of cold water and a steamer rack in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Place whole sweet potatoes on the steamer rack.With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position. Pressure cook sweet potatoes at High Pressure for:Preference: Fully cooked with some chew – Fully tendera) 6 inches: 15 – 20 minsb) 8 inches: 25 – 30 minsc) 10 inches: 35 – 40 minsd) 12 inches: 45 – 50 minsThen, do a Full Natural Release . Open the lid carefully.
- Serve: Serve the sweet potatoes as is or drizzle with maple syrup and butter. Enjoy your sweet treat! 🙂
HOW TO COOK PERFECT POTATOES IN THE INSTANT POT * PLANT …
- Add the steamer basket or trivet to the bottom of the Instant Pot, and put your washed potatoes on top.
- Add 1 – 2 cups of water . You need enough to steam the potatoes.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual , and cook for between 12 and 15 minutes. Then use natural pressure release. When the valve pops up, your potatoes are ready.
INSTANT POT MELTING POTATOES RECIPE | MYRECIPES
HOW TO COOK SWEET POTATOES IN THE INSTANT POT | ALLRECIPES
HOW TO COOK POTATOES IN THE INSTANT POT – SIMPLY RECIPES
INSTANT POT BOILED POTATOES | MY HEART BEETS
Instant Pot Red Potatoes Recipe
We love potatoes and they really make the perfect side dish. Not only are they easy but they are frugal.
I grew up on butter potatoes. Did you? They are so delicous.
It is such an easy recipe that you practically dont need to call it a recipe. But as I was talking to others, I realized not other families grew up on this easy side dish so I had to share.
Normally you boil the potatoes until tender and then add butter and salt and pepper. Then you let the butter melt all over your potatoes leaving you with a delicious side dish.
However, thanks to the trusty Instant pot this family favorite side dish just got even easier because the cooking time just got cut in half!
Recommended Reading: Canning Beets In Instant Pot
How To Steam Vegetables In An Instant Pot
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. This article has been viewed 14,210 times.Learn more…
Say goodbye to mushy, overcooked vegetables! If you have an Instant Pot, use the steamer basket to perfectly cook almost any type of vegetable. Steam a batch of your favorite veggie or mix a flavorful assortment in the basket. Since most vegetables finish steaming by the time the Instant Pot pressurizes, you’ll have delicious, perfectly cooked vegetables in no time.
Variations On This Pressure Cooker Potatoes Recipe:
- If you dont have Creamer potatoes, you can make this recipe with cubed red potatoes . The cook time wont change!
- If you want to jazz up these Instant Pot potatoes, drain the broth and add a splash of cream and a teaspoon of basil pesto.
- If you want a cheesy twist, drain the broth, add a drizzle of ranch and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese.
Recommended Reading: Bone In Pork Shoulder Instant Pot
How To Serve Baked Potatoes
Baked Potatoes are delicious with butter, salt and pepper, chives, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Crumbled bacon also makes a delicious topping!
But, we also love to make a baked potato bar, which features the potato as part of the main dish.
These Turkey Taco Potato Boats are exactly what they sound like, potatoes topped with all the taco fixings!
Buffalo Chicken is also delicious on top of a baked potato!
Top your potato with steamed broccoli and queso! So good and easy too.
Instant Pot Steamed Sweet Potatoes And Puree Recipe
Posted on Published:
By: Author Diane
AFFILIATE NOTIFICATION:As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Entire Affiliate Disclosure.
Instant Pot Steamed Sweet Potatoes cook evenly and thoroughly in short order. Cooking any vegetable under pressure with an instant pot is a quick, easy and nutritious cooking method. Learn how to make Instant Pot Steamed Sweet Potato puree in this video. This process Also works for ALL squash that are seeded and chopped into 3 inch or smaller chunks. I use this process to make my Instant Pot Butternut Pumpkin Soup.
Pureed Sweet Potatoes are tasty!
This Naturally sweet, no fat, high fiber root vegetable adds an incredible wealth of nutrients and flavor options to your family diet. Sweet potatoes are loaded with antioxidants, beta carotenes, and much more.
If you are a homemade food junkie like me theinstant pot opens new and better possibilities in the kitchen. Making puree with your instant pot is simple to do and store for later.
Wanna invite sweet potatoes to your breakfast menu? Try our Chocolate Chunk Sweet Potato Granola. Kids love it and this granola will fill them with delicious nutrients not a lot of unnecessary sugar.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
How To Boil Potatoes In Instant Pot
Published Updated February 3, 2021 By Meeta Arora | This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Boil or Steam Potatoes in the Instant Pot? This is part of the Instant Pot Cooking Basics series. Potatoes are perfect to steam in a pressure cooker, and it takes less than 30 minutes to get perfectly cooked potatoes. I use boiled potatoes in many dishes, such as potato peas curry, spiced mashed potatoes.
I had always boiled potatoes in my stovetop pressure cooker, however it did need some monitoring. With the instant pot, just set the time and do a natural pressure release, while I can do other chores.
Having pre-boiled potatoes at hand is great for meal planning. I can then use them as needed to make quick meals. Some interesting indian dishes you can make with boiled potatoes:
- Mumbai Vada Pav which is the popular Indian style burger.
- Savory Potato Puffs – This is very similar to the paneer puffs I have shared before. Just use boiled potatoes in place of paneer.
Whats The Best Method For Mashing Potatoes
In many years of mashing potatoes, Ive found that three methods produce good results. Depending on the texture you prefer, heres how to do it.
- Potato Ricer This tool turns the potatoes into very fine rice-shaped tubes that stay light and fluffy and insures there are no lumps. Minimal handling of the potatoes is what gives you the lightest, fluffiest texture, and a potato ricer will get you there.
- Potato Masher For mashed potatoes that are rustic, fluffy, and classic, a potato masher is the best tool. Its more difficult to eliminate all lumps with a masher than with a ricer , but a potato masher is great for weeknights and means youll have very few dishes to clean up.
- Stand Mixer For smooth, whipped potatoes, use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Youll have to beat the potatoes for a minute or two to get a creamy result, so the potatoes are more thick and less light and fluffy than the other methods.
Also Check: Instant Pot Food Burn Message
How To Cook Instant Pot Potatoes:
All types and sizes of potatoes require different cook times in the Instant Pot.
For these small, Creamer potatoes, 2-3 minutes is plenty .
For larger, baked potatoes, 15-20 minutes is necessary, and sometimes longer if the potatoes are quite large.
For diced potatoes when mashing, 2-3 minutes is lots, as the pieces are so small to begin with.
When cooking potatoes in the pressure cooker, a quick release is recommended . With Instant Pot baked potatoes, a natural pressure release may be better.
Yukon Gold Potatoes Russet Potatoes And Red Potatoes
There are thousands of varieties of potatoes and Im sure this method will work with any type. I often cook with three varieties of potatoes: Yukon gold, red, and russet. Ive tested this recipe with these three varieties. For Indian cooking, I typically use gold or red potatoes.
Yukon Gold Potatoes: Yukon gold potatoes are a good all-purpose potato. They are a bit waxy and also a bit starchy . They are thin-skinned, creamy, and have a slight sweetness to them.
- When to use: Great all-purpose potato that you can use in nearly any recipe. They are great for mashing, roasting, baking, frying.
Red Potatoes: these waxy potatoes are typically smaller than other varieties, though they can vary in size as well. Like gold potatoes, they are also thin-skinned.
- When to use: Great all-purpose potato. These potatoes hold their shape well which is good when you dont want the flesh to fall apart in a recipe, for example when making potato salad, hash browns, scalloped potatoes, or when adding to a soup/stew.
- When not to use: dont suggest using this variety when making mashed potatoes as they can be a bit gluey.
Russet Potatoes: Russets, also known as baking potatoes, are starchy and a bit drier than red or gold potatoes. They are thicker-skinned than red and gold potatoes and so if Im using them in a recipe, Ill usually peel the skin.
Also Check: Reheating Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes In The Instant Pot
Get velvety smooth sweet potatoes every time.
If you’re looking to introduce healthy eating habits into your life this year, sweet potatoes are your friend. These starchy root vegetables are so nutrient-packed it’s no wonder they’ve become staples in popular diets like Whole30 and Paleo. But there’s just one problem. Cooking them in the oven is time-consuming. That’s where the Instant Pot comes into play. This innovative kitchen gadget allows you to cook moist and fluffy sweet potatoes in less time than traditional methods. Read on for a step-by-step guide on how to cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Boiled Potatoes With Peeled Skin
Using potato peeler or knife, peel the outer skin of the potatoes.Rinse the potatoes, drain and season with salt.
Add a cup of water in the inner pot of the instant pot then place trivet or steamer basket in the pot.
Place the potatoes on the trivet then close the instant pot pressure cooker with its lid.
Turn the lid valve into sealing position and set instant pot to manual pressure cook on high 5 minutes. After the pressure cooking cycle, do 5 minutes natural release.
When the pot is depressurised, open the lid and bring out the cooked potatoes.
Serve with sides of choice.
Read Also: Can You Make Tamales In An Instant Pot
Why Use The Trivet I See Recipes Using A Steamer Basket
Yes, I saw folks using the steamer basket too when I was trying to find the answer to how to steam your baby potatoes! No one else used the trivet. Should you use the trivet or the steamer basket? Well, the simple answer in favour for the trivet is that it came with the Instant Pot! Why go out and get another basket for steaming if its not necessary? The trivet works just fine! All were using it for is to create a gap between the Instant Pot and our potatoes so that our potatoes dont sauté and become brown.
HOWEVER if your potatoes are super small that they would fall through the trivet, then by all means you can use a steamer basket! But my baby potatoes were large enough that they didnt fall in the pot, so it did the trick! I just want to clarify that you can use what you have, no need to get extra accessories if the trivet does the job just fine!