Instant Pot Chicken Tenders
Since receiving my first Instant Pot I have cooked a lot of chicken. Especially once I started blogging, recipe development and recipe testing! I feel like I am constantly buying more chicken at the store!
I have cooked with both chicken breasts and chicken tenders. I have tested and perfected Chicken breasts, as you can see and get more details about it on my Instant Pot Chicken Breast Post.
I get asked all the time by readers why their chicken breasts didnt turn out well, its either undercooked or rubbery or just plain not edible.
I go into a lot more detail in my Chicken Breast post, but we all know that chicken breasts are never the same size! I could get a package of As one day and the next the package could be DDs! As you could imagine, a standard cook time across the board for all chicken breasts just doesnt make sense.
Its no wonder people have so many problems with them! In all of my recipes using chicken breasts, I always eliminate those variables so you can have consistent results time and time again.
How Long To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Cook a fresh chicken for 6 minutes per pound. This means that a 4 pound chicken will take 24 minutes to cook, a 4.5 pound chicken will take 27 minutes, and a 5 pound bird will take 30 minutes, at high pressure.
- Follow the cook time with a 15 minute natural release. This means just leave your Instant Pot alone for 15 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to the venting position before opening the lid.
- Always use an instant read thermometer to check that your chicken has reached a safe internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F. You want to insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the leg, not touching the bone. Using the Instant Pot to cook a whole chicken is pretty foolproof, and mine has always been perfectly cooked and juicy after pressure cooking for 6 minutes per pound.
How To Cook Chicken From Frozen In The Instant Pot
Cooking times are based on 1-2 pounds of frozen medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
We found frozen chicken breasts are at a safe cooking temperature at 15-20 minutes using a quick release method. We always use the manual function . When cooking food from frozen in the Instant Pot, we recommend starting at the shorter end of the time range and then adding more minutes if its not done.
The only variation to this cooking time is when chicken is in a soup. We found that because it takes so much longer for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, the chicken takes LESS time to cook. Likely 5-6 minutes. It feels a bit counter intuitive since there is more in the pot when cooking a soup recipe but we consistently found that chicken was done quicker this way.
Read Also: Instant Pot Lid Dishwasher
How Long To Cook Chicken Thighs In The Instant Pot
One of our favorite ways to cook chicken thighs is pressure cooking in an Instant Pot the tender, juicy, and succulent results are so irrisistable and surprisingly easy to achieve! In this post, were sharing all of our tested and expert advice on how long to cook chicken thighs in the Instant Pot!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites. Read our full disclosure policy here.
After a TON of recipe development and testing for our Instant Pot cookbook, we are happy to share all we have learned about perfectly cooking chicken thighs in the Instant Pot. Whether they are boneless, bone-in, fresh, or frozen, keep reading for all the details you need to know!
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken–The best method for cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot this recipe produces flavorful, juicy, tender “roast” chicken.
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken–Tender chicken that is perfectly spiced with buffalo seasoning, this recipe is a great base for numerous dishes.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos–Made with just 4 ingredients and a few minutes of prep, this is one of the easiest, tastiest Instant Pot chicken recipes.
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs–This is a great basic recipe for cooking bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken–This easy instant pot recipe can be made with chicken thighs or chicken breasts and is coated in a delicious sweet and savory teriyaki sauce.
If you enjoyed this Instant Pot Chicken Breast recipe, please be sure to take the time to leave a comment and a review.
Don’t Miss: Sirloin Tip In Instant Pot
How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker:
The process couldnt be easier. Thats one of the reasons why this recipe is included on my list of the best Instant Pot recipes for beginners!
You simply place your frozen breasts in the Instant Pot, along with one cup of water. Lock the lid and place the vent in the sealed position.
Use the Manual/Pressure Cook setting and select a 10-minute cook time .
While the chicken is cooking, you can prep any other ingredients you need for your meal.
After the cook time is finished, allow a natural pressure release. Natural releases help the meat have better texture. When the valve has dropped, voila!
Italian Baked Chicken Thighs
The most amazing, flavorful oven-baked chicken thighs youll find! With just a handful of simple seasonings, these chicken thighs come out crispy on the outside and amazingly tender and juicy on the inside. Baked chicken thighs are so easy to make and we show you how to turn them into a make-ahead freezer meal too!
This fast, healthy chicken teriyaki dinner will thoroughly impress your family and friends. The best part its made in the slow cooker, so you have very little work to do!
The Best Instant Pot Chicken Breast + Video
Looking for the best Instant Pot chicken breast recipe? Youve found it. This method produces flavourful, tender, perfect chicken breasts using fresh or frozen chicken. Excellent for meal prep and make-ahead meal solutions.
Suitable for Whole 30, Paleo, and Keto dieters. Recipe also includes Weight Watchers points and a video tutorial.
If youre looking for the best and easiest way to cook chicken breast in the Instant Pot, youre going to be soooo happy you landed on this post.
I spent a lot of time in the kitchen perfecting the PERFECT Instant Pot chicken breast recipe to share with all of you. I know perfect when I see it and
yeap, this is it.
How To Cook Fresh Or Frozen Chicken Breast In The Instant Pot:
- Place inner pot into the instant pot and place the trivet in the bottom.
- Add 1 cup of liquid to the instant pot .
- Place chicken breasts on top of the trivet in a single layer.
- Add salt and pepper or desired seasonings.
- Secure lid and make sure the vent is set to sealed. Pressure cook on high for 8-10 minutes for fresh chicken breast, and 10-12 minutes for frozen chicken . Cook time stays the same no matter how much chicken you add to the pot the pot will just take longer to come to pressure.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then turn the valve to venting to release any remaining steam.
Don’t Miss: Can You Steam Tamales In An Instant Pot
Frozen Chicken Instant Pot
Cook Time> High Pressure > 18-20 minutes > Quick Release
Preparing frozen chicken breast in the Instant Pot is similar to cooking unfrozen chicken breast, but there are some differences!
- If you are cooking more than one chicken breast at a time be sure the chicken breasts are not frozen together. They will not cook evenly.
- To separate the chicken breasts, run the chicken under water to remove any frost or to separate chicken breasts from each other.
- Dont skip using the metal trivet and water. If you skip these steps you will most likely end up with a burn notice!
- Cook time for frozen chicken takes a little bit longer than thawed chicken, remember to be patient!
- Be sure to check the internal temperature of the chicken breast before eating it. If its not done, cook it for a few more minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Seriously, frozen chicken Instant Pot is so easy.
How Do You Cook Fresh Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
If your chicken is not frozen, you will use the same cook times and method described above. The only difference is that you will do a quick pressure release instead of a 10 minute natural release. The quick pressure release will stop the cooking process faster than a natural release.
To do a quick pressure release, as soon as the cook time ends, use the handle of a long spoon to carefully turn the steam release valve to the venting position. Once steam stops coming out and the float valve drops down, open the Instant Pot lid. Use an instant read thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked through to a safe 165 degrees F.
Also Check: Instant Pot Whole Acorn Squash
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken
Heres some good news for us busy momsyou can cook frozen chicken in your pressure cooker! I know, it seems too good to be truebut it works!
You just set it and forget it, so the Instant Pot does the work for you while you move on with your life!
Ive successfully used this method with frozen chicken breasts multiple times, and Ive read that you can even cook a whole frozen chicken in the Instant Pot!
How To Cook A Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
How to cook a whole chicken in an Instant Pot. This rotisserie-style Instant Pot whole chicken recipe is easy to make, even if you are a beginner with using your pressure cooker. Its perfect for Sunday dinner or to make ahead for quick meals throughout the week! Cook from fresh or frozen.
Out of all of the recipes that Ive cooked in my Instant Pot, this whole roast chicken might be my favorite. Its become a part of my weekly routine to make an Instant Pot whole chicken for dinner. Then I use the leftover chicken to make the best quick meals throughout the week! You can use your leftover chicken in salads, pastas, casseroles or sandwiches.
Cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot is fast, simple and budget-friendly. Instead of buying a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken at the store, you can make this Instant Pot whole chicken recipe with just minutes of prep time. Your homemade chicken will taste so much better than store-bought, and you can control the ingredients that you use.
This pressure cooker chicken recipe makes the best tender, moist and juicy chicken. Cooking the whole bird gives you both white and dark meat, so everyone in the family can have what they enjoy. Just wait until you try the homemade rotisserie rub in this recipe it is the best!
Read Also: How To Cook Sirloin Tip Roast In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Variations:
Want to customize this recipe? Feel free to:
- Use different seasonings: In place of the paprika/garlic powder blend, feel free to instead use a few teaspoons of:
- Taco Seasoning
Instant Pot Chicken Breast For Convenience
The convenience of having shredded chicken on hand has had me making it at least once a month for a couple years now, previously in my slow cooker . I still use my Crock Pot all the time, but since I discovered this method, the only way I make pulled chicken is using this Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe.
I picked up my Instant Pot pressure cooker on a whim over the holidays last year. It sounded like such a great idea! I have a confession to make, though. For most of that year, it sat stored away without seeing the light of day. Learning to use a new appliance kept getting moved down on the priority list, considering I had plenty of other kitchen appliances I already knew how to use. This turned out to be a mistake.
Once I started using my Instant Pot more often, I fell in love with it. I wish I hadnt waited so long! It saves so much time. Dishes that take hours in the oven or slow cooker can be done in minutes using a pressure cooker.
This pressure cooker shredded chicken recipe has been no exception. I love that it takes me ten minutes to make all the shredded chicken I need for a whole month. I keep a couple cups at a time in the fridge, and freeze the rest in small batches using a vacuum sealer.
If you prefer to make a whole chicken, try this Instant Pot Whole Chicken recipe from Gluten-Free Pressure Cooker instead.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Burn
Reasons To Love This Instant Pot Chicken Breast:
What Is A Natural Pressure Release
On every Instant Pot or Pressure Cooking Recipe you will find a step for Natural Pressure Release or Quick Release. Natural Pressure Release or NPR is allowing the Pressure Cooker to naturally release the pressure over time before opening up the remaining pressure. This is ideal for meats to ensure the moisture.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How Do I Make Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
I was curious to see how easy it would be to go from frozen to juicy chicken in my fancy electric pressure cooker.
So I did a little experimenting before making my 3 ingredient Instant Pot shredded chicken this afternoon. It turned out great for that!
- I first cooked these four breasts in the Instant Pot you see here that were bought frozen. I added a bit of chicken broth for 12 minutes and they turned out well.
From there I shredded them. Then, drained the broth and added the ingredients I needed to make my shredded chicken recipe. I put it back on low for 5 minutes just to let it soak in the juices. Done!
- Next I used just 2 frozen chicken breasts that I had bought fresh and then were frozen.
12 minutes was too long and they turned out dry. I tried again for just 10 minutes and that was just right!
Serving Recommendations For Cooked Chicken Breast
There are so many ways to answer the question on what to do with cooked chicken breast! Here are a few ways to turn your Instant Pot chicken breast recipe into a meal:
- Shredded: Shred meat with 2 forks, refrigerate and use to make chicken salad or white chicken chili. Or skip sauteing and use instead of ground turkey to make pasta bake.
- Diced: Cube to add protein to vegetarian pasta dish, easy spaghetti recipe or even vegetable soup or borscht. Why not?!
- Low carb meal: Make one of healthy zucchini recipes and enjoy quick dinner entire family will love.
- Meal prep: Refrigerate whole or cubed and use throughout the week for lunches sub out your sandwich deli meat for chicken or use in Cobb salad.
- Freeze for later. When ready to eat, thaw on the counter for a few hours or in the fridge overnight.
Don’t Miss: Pork Shoulder Instant Pot Time Per Pound
Perfect Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Today, Im going to show you how to make perfectly juicy boneless chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, to make the process as easy as possible. Theyre great to have on hand when you want to add protein to a salad or stir fry.
Since I cook so many vegetarian entrees, its nice to have pre-cooked chicken on hand when my husband wants some extra protein added to his portion.
If youre like me, and dont love handling raw meat, youll probably love the Instant Pot as much as do because you barely have to touch the chicken to cook it.