Blocking The Steam Release Valves
This thing can happen due to several reasons but the most prominent one is the food particles getting clogged in the valve. This can possibly stop the pressure inside to get released which might lead to any kind of failure or malfunction.
You should regularly clean the release valves and other important components inside the instant pots. These explosions can also take place if the steam valve is blocked by something like any cloth or dish towel.
Always make sure that the steam release valves are kept clear enough from any kind of blockage.
Why Is My Instant Pot Making Noise
It is;normal;for;pressure cookers to make a hissing noise. Pressure cooker have many safety features that prevent it from exploding. Instant Pots make noise which comes from a safety release valve. ;The safety release valve releases pressure by opening and closing when it senses too much pressure. When the safety release valve opens to release excess pressure, the hissing sound can be heard. The wobbler on the lid may also rattle a bit. So if your Instant Pot is making noise that is completely normal.
Straight From The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Manual:
- Prior to each use, inspect to make sure the sealing ring is well seated in the sealing ring rack and the anti-block shield is mounted properly on the steam release pipe. A properly seated sealing ring can be shifted, with a bit of effort, clockwise or anti-clockwise inside the sealing ring rack.
- Never pull the sealing ring by force, as the pulling may cause deformation and affect its function in sealing the pressure.
- A sealing ring with cracks, cuts or other damages should not be used.
Avoid these mistakes will save you some stress & frustrations in using your Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker!
I hope you had as much fun reading as I did writing this post Jacky
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!
Recommended Reading: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Tip #: Dont Overfill The Pressure Cooker
Excessive pressure builds in the pressure cooker because of the amount of liquid inside. If you have filled the food too high, it can trap food in the pressure release vent. That makes a big boom!
The steam must have an escape route or the pressure builds until it explodes. An electric pressure cooker might simply turn off, but stove-top pressure cookers without the technology could explode.
Not only does overfilling the pressure cooker pose a risk for explosion, but the food loses its texture and flavor as the excess pressure breaks down the essential vitamins and minerals in the food.
The other danger comes from unevenly cooked food. Pressure cookers werent designed to cook food like this. One part of the food may have been cooked brown and crisp with the other part still having freezer frost inside it. Overfilling the pressure cooker can lead to it not building any pressure at all.
With that in mind, how much food is too much? Dont fill the pressure cooker more than two-thirds full or 66 percent. Avoid filling the pressure cooker with liquids more than half full.
Instant Pot Duo Plus 8 Quart 9-in-1 click the image to more about this pressure cooker
Wash Me Up & Check Me Out
If you want to be Ultra Safe, wash the lid, clean the anti-block shield, and the inner pot after every use. Make sure the gasket is in good shape and no food residue is stuck inside the anti-block shield before every use.
The Silicone Sealing Ring typically needs to be replaced every 18-24 months. It is always a good idea to keep an extra one around.
Avoid buying sealing ring from third party as it is an integral part of the Instant Pot safety features. Direct Quote from InstantPot: There may be serious safety concerns associated with using an untested sealing ring on Instant Pot products.
You May Like: Can You Cook Tamales In A Pressure Cooker
Third Generation Electric Pressure Cookers
After the stove-top pressure cookers, in 1991 came the electric pressure cookers, called the “third generation” pressure cookers.
These include an electric heat source that is automatically regulated to maintain the operating pressure. They also include a spring-loaded valve .
An electric pressure cooker integrates a timer. Depending on cooking control capability, there are three generations of electric pressure cookers:
- First-generation electric, with mechanical timer. There is no delayed cooking capability.
- Second-generation electric, with digital controller. Delayed cooking becomes possible and the controller shows a countdown timer when working pressure is reached.
- Third-generation electric, with smart programming, which includes pre-set cooking times and settings based on heating intensity, temperature, pressure and duration.
- The first configuration consists of the air fryer lid hinged to the main unit, and is non-removable; the air fryer lid flips up when using the removable pressure cooking lid, and then after the pressure cooking lid is removed, the air fryer lid flips back down. This is the configuration used by the Ninja Foodi line of pressure cookers.
- The second configuration consists of a completely removable air fryer lid, with a protective pad for storage. This is the configuration used by most other pressure cooker manufacturers, including Instant Pot.
What Should I Do When I Get The Burn Notice On My Instant Pot
Collect yourself! Theres nothing wrong with your Instant Pot. Now that you know what causes an Instant Pot to display the burn message and how to avoid it, you will surely get it less frequently. With that said, if you were to get it again this is how you should handle it.
- 1#Start by releasing the pressure . Do so carefully and make sure that no part of your body is close to the release hole as pressure will escape in the form of super hot steam.Never try to open the lid without releasing pressure first.
- 2# When the Instant Pot has depressurized, open the lid to check if theres food stuck to the bottom. Open the lid carefully, especially if youve got thick sauces in there as they may splash.
- 3#If theres burnt food at the base of the cooker, you need to remove it. There are two ways to do so, which technique is most effective depends on the degree of the burn. Small stains can often be removed by scraping the bottom of the cooker with a wooden spoon or spatula but badly burned food and blackened stains may require that you remove the content of the cooker and soak the inner pot in a mixture of warm water and soap.
- 4# If theres no burnt food at the base of the cooker but theres no liquid left, add more liquid, stir thoroughly, and resume the cooking cycle.
If you opened the cooker only to find that no food has burned to the bottom and that theres still sufficient liquid in the cooker, proceed to:
- 6# Resume the cooking process.
You May Like: How To Convert Slow Cooker Recipe To Instant Pot
Lets Review These 10 Safety Features Of Your Instant Pot:
1. Lid Close Detection
Your Instant Pot is smart. It knows if you have put the lid on correctly or not. If you havent, it wont allow the pressurization to start.; So only the keep-warm and sauté buttons work with the lid off or not on correctly.
2. Leaky Lid Protection
As I said, your Instant Pot is pretty smart.
If you forgot to put the silicone sealing ring back on, or if the steam release isnt closed all the way, your Instant Pot wont fully pressurize.
Since it knows that cooking while releasing pressure at the same time could end up burning your food , it automatically switches to the Keep-warn setting when it senses a release of steam in the pressure cooking process.
3. Lid Lock under Pressure
The Instant Pot wont allow you to open the lid if you forgot to release the pressure first with the steam release valve. So no explosions or lid flying in the face.
4. Anti-blockage Vent
While your Instant Pot is cooking, sometimes food gets stuck on the steam release vent on the underside of your lid.
Thankfully, Instant Pot has a shield that prevents that from not allowing you to release the steam using the release valve when youre ready.
5. Automatic Temperature Control
When you select the mode of cooking, the Instant Pots thermostat automatically knows what range of temperature to go to, ensuring it never gets too high for the food youre preparing.
6. High-Temperature Warning
7. Extreme Temperature & Power Protection
8. Automatic Pressure Control
Instant Pot Timer Not Starting: Counting Down Issue Resolved
What happens if your Instant Pot Timer just wont start?
Is there anything that you can do?
For some users, its frustrating to see this happen, but its an easy fix!
Weve compiled a list of some common reasons why this happens, and also shared some quick fixes that you can try.
The Instant Pot is a multi-cooker that is designed with convenience in mind.
This kitchen appliance truly is a one stop shop!
It is ideal for people who are busy and who want to take advantage of the convenience of cooking all in one pot.
The Instant Pot is also safe and easy to use. It offers a number of safety features including a lid locking mechanism that is designed to pressurize the cooking pot gradually and help prevent any kind of explosion.
It also has a stainless steel steaming rack to cook food above the liquid.
Instant pots are miracle inventions for the kitchen.
When you have one instant pot, you can use it in multiple ways to cook your food.
You dont need a whole lot of different appliances, one instant pot is enough to get your work done with ease.
Instant pots are one of the most useful appliances of your kitchen.
Compared to other forms of cooking, making food on an instant pot is much easier and hassle-free. It takes very little time and provides you with nicely-cooked food.
Also Check: What Does Burn Mean On Instant Pot
Why Did My Eggs Explode In The Instant Pot
Instant Pots are basically pressure cookers that are capable of doing much more than pressure cooking. They have all sorts of different features that can be accessed with a simple click of a button, which is exactly why so many people use them. These smart appliances are great for pretty much any kitchen. As there are many uses for Instant Pots, youd be surprised to learn about all the different things that you can prepare in them. One example of this would be eggs, which are actually great when prepared inside of an Instant Pot or any pressure cooker in general.
Should My Pressure Cooker Be Making Noise
When pressure builds to high safety valves open just enough to release excess pressure which results in a hissing sound and a rattle of the wobbler on the lid. In most cases electric pressure cookers are the quietest because they can regulate pressure more efficiently but even a little hiss is normal.5 Oct 2019
Also Check: How Long To Cook Tamales In Instant Pot
Best For Experienced Cooks: Breville Fast Slow Pro Pressure Cooker
For a premium cooking experience, advanced home cooks will love the Breville Pro Pressure Cooker. This sleek stainless steel countertop cooker offers top-of-the-line features like built-in sensors that automatically adjust time and temperature settings based on what’s being cooked, fast and slow cooker options, and a hands-free steam release function for added safety. It comes with 11 preset cooking programs that make it easy to whip up meals in no time, but also offers custom settings for more experienced cooks. Reviewers rave about this model’s special saute and searing functions, which many other pressure cookers don’t have.;
“I love this Breville multi-cooker. A whole head of cauliflower can be steamed in minutes. Hearty stews with bone-in meat that would take a day to cook can be pressure cooked in an hour,” wrote one customer. “Traditional slow cook mode works just like a crock pot. We cook a lot of Indian food, so I can sauté onions, green chili, garlic, dry spices, then meat and veggies and water or stock, change mode to slow cook or pressure cook , close the lid and done. One shot. I love the convenience.”
To buy: $250 at williams-sonoma.com or $249 at
Is It Safe To Leave The Instant Pot Unattended
Unlike a Crock-Pot, most manufacturers of pressure cookers recommend not leaving your house while the pressure cooker is on.
That being said, you dont need to be in the kitchen with it the entire time. Just monitor it a few times and ensure no steam is leaking anywhere out the sides.
If you do absolutely have to leave the house leaving the pressure cooker unattended, make sure it has reached its full pressure and again, ensure that absolutely no steam is being released anywhere.
This is, unfortunately, one of the disadvantages of cooking with an Instant Pot. However, it does cut cooking time by , there is less mess, and less loss of nutrients.
But theres a lot more to know about the advantages and disadvantages of pressure cooking in general.
To read more about the advantages and disadvantages of pressure cooking, read this recent article.
Just click the link to read it on my site.
Don’t Miss: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
Spot & Avoid Recipes For Disaster
The internet has made it incredibly easy, and exciting, for anyone to share pressure cooker recipes at the push of a button.; Unfortunately, the recipe author may not be aware of how the pressure cooker works which is why its important to only follow recipes from trusted sources.
Heres how to spot a recipe that could lead to an unexpected eruption after the lid of the pressure cooker is removed:
- Read your pressure cooker manual, and pay special attention to the list of foods to avoid pressure cooking such as oatmeal, applesauce, pasta and split peas/lentils some of these can be pressure cooked safely following specific precautions such as: pressure cooking oatmeal in a bowl,;;ensuring pasta has absorbed all of the cooking liquid, and specific cautions for split peas .; In addition, do not pressure cook hard liquor heres why.
- Never overfill the pressure cooker follow the filling guidelines detailed in the manual: no more than 1/2 full for beans, rice and grains and no more than 2/3 full for everything else here are more details on this.
- Avoid recipes that include steps for thickening or use thickening agents before pressure cooking . These include:
- instructions for pureeing ingredients before pressure cooking,
- adding flour, starch, gum before pressure cooking, and
- prepared ingredients such as soup/salad dressing/meat flavoring packets, condensed soup cans, jars of commercially produced sauce.
Is An Instant Pot Safe
Instant Pots are very safe and have multiple safety features built-in to prevent misuse, injury, or cooking issues.;But unlike slow cookers, do not leave the house for extended periods of time while using an Instant Pot.
After all, the way an Instant Pot works is by building up pressure inside the vessel which effectively cooks your food in a shorter amount of time.
Its the pressure inside your Instant Pot that makes people fear it could explode.
But unlike your Grandmas pressure cooker that was built in the 1950s todays modern Instant Pots have a number of cool safety features built in to ensure they arent dangerous and dont explode.
hands down the best part of using an instant pot is that feeling of cheating death each and every time it doesnt explode on you
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Stay Away From The Steam
Do not open an Instant Pot inor anywhere nearyour face. That steam may smell good, but it is very, very hotoften hot enough to burn your skin. Always open the Pot with the opening facing away from you . If you are doing a quick release, then that hot steam could also endanger your hands, so we suggest pulling on a protective oven mitt or similar glove first.
Instapot Accidents And Injuries Caused
There is a lot of evidence that reveals the associated risk, especially if you have kids at the home. Here are certain accidents that have occurred in the past:
It was an incident of the Colorado Family who filed a law pursuit when the instant pot exploded and a nine-year-old girl got burned severely. Her face and arms got burned seriously and that was third-degree burn. Though the child girl survived, she got permanent burns on her arm, shoulder, chest, and the torso.
Another incident in Texas also made people a bit afraid of instant pot explosion. There was a middle-aged mom who got severely injured by the explosion of the instant pot. She got second-degree burn, even after maintaining all the safety features while cooking in instant pot.
Lots of users often complain that the instant pots and pressure cookers create severe accidents like the lid blow off without warning or the pinto beans burst out and all. Such accidents can cause serious effects on you and you to have to suffer a lot of pain and spend a lot of money on treatment whether you file a lawsuit against the brand or not.
If you want to avoid such hazards, you need to be very conscious while using an instant pot in your kitchen. Here are some of the precautionary steps that you can take-
Read Also: Turkey Tenderloin Pressure Cooker Recipe