Can I Make This Chili On The Stovetop
Yes! You can make chili on the stove without an instant pot or slow cooker! Simply brown the beef first, then add the remaining ingredients in any order.
My sister seasons the beef with cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Then adds heavy whipping cream for superior flavor. She also likes her chili on the thicker side, so shell add an additional can of beans.
Why Does The Recipe Call For Sugar
Tomatoes are very acidic. The acid makes the soup a little sharp and can cause a tummy ache or heartburn for sensitive people. One solution is to add a teaspoon to a tablespoon of white sugar . The sugar cuts down on the acid, and the sharpness.
If you want to avoid adding processed sugar, you can add honey or a few carrots. Carrots are actually high in sugar and will reduce the sharpness of the acidic tomatoes while adding an extra dimension of delicious flavor.
Some people also add a teaspoon of baking soda, which is a base, to really reduce the burn. The baking soda is especially important if you plan to make a creamy version of the soup, as the acid in the tomatoes will curdle the milk. This results in your soup looking spotted, but it will not impact the flavor. But to maintain the gorgeous smooth look, add one teaspoon of baking soda.
Can You Freeze It
Yes! You can definitely freeze this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup. Simply cook as directed, but stop before you add the dairy ingredients. These can have a tendency not to reheat well after being frozen.
To freeze this soup, portion it out into some freezer-safe containers and store it flat in your freezer.
To reheat, you can either place the soup in your fridge for 24 hours and zap it in the microwave for a few minutes until it is heated through. Stir in cream and cheese and enjoy.
If you would rather use your Instant Pot to reheat this soup, you can put the frozen soup in the Instant Pot liner and add 1/2 cup of water. Cook for 3 minutes under high pressure and do a quick release of all remaining pressure. Stir in cream and cheese and enjoy!
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Can You Freeze Chili
Shockingly, YES! For busy weeknight dinners freeze small batches in freezer gallon-sized bags. Then peel off the bag and pop it into a crockpot for an easy lunch or dinner.
To Freeze cool chili completely. Pour into freezer bags and seal airtight. Keep frozen for up to 3 months.
To Reheat Chili: thaw chili overnight in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a pot, slow cooker, or instant pot. Use the microwave if needed.
Storing: How long does chili last in the fridge? Chili can keep up to a week in the refrigerator. Freeze any leftovers.
What Ingredients Go Into Instant Pot Chili
You dont even need oil to make this chili! The beef I purchase is usually 73% lean and 27% fat It comes together with 4 ingredients, plus water.
- Salsa- is an all-in-one tomato sauce thats perfectly seasoned with the right Mexican spices! I can my own salsa but any 24 oz of jarred salsa will work. If you like spicy chili use jalapenos, red hot peppers, or hot salsa. Most salsa jars come slightly sweet so this works perfectly!
- Water- needed to make chili in the instant pot. My slow-cooker beef chili recipe didnt call for it but I wanted to ensure my instant pot burn signal didnt go on.
- Tomato Juice- can use tomato sauce or additional water.
- Beef- use any kind of protein such as chicken, turkey, or pork.
- Beans- legumes such as pinto, pink, black, dark kidney, or light kidney can be used in any combination to make chili.
Recommended Reading: Turkey Breast Tenderloin Instant Pot
How To Make Marinara Sauce In The Instant Pot With Fresh Tomatoes
Start by sautéing the onions and carrots in olive oil. Once the sweet onions are translucent, add the water, place the tomatoes on top, mix the tomatoes and onions together, and sprinkle the spices over the top of the tomatoes. Thats an important step the spices will want to stick to the bottom of the pot and burn, so sprinkling them on top of the tomatoes creates a buffer for them.
Cook the sauce in the Instant Pot, then let it naturally release for 10 minutes. Use an immersion blender to purée the spaghetti sauce, then thicken the sauce for a bit by setting the Instant Pot to Sauté on the Low setting.
Mistake: You’re Not Deglazing The Inner Pot After Sauting
One of the best functions of the Instant Pot is the Sauté function, where you’re able to pre-cook some ingredients before pressure cooking. The only issue? If you don’t deglaze betweenaka scrubbing the brown parts off the bottomyour meal isn’t going to get very far. “We always recommend sautéing everything in your inner pot first. Once you do the sautéing, you need to deglaze the bottom before you turn it to pressure cook to ensure any bits of food that might have gotten stuck there aren’t stuck any longer. If you don’t deglaze the bottom of the inner pot, you’ll get the Burn message,” Di Meglio says.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Venison Roast In An Instant Pot
What Should You Eat With This Instant Pot Soup
So, like I said earlier, this tortellini soup is incredibly hearty. After a bowl full, youll be questioning why you made anything to go with it at all. If you have enough self-control to have a small bowl and leave room for sides, here are a few things that would pair well with it:
- Side Salad
- Cripsy Croutons
How To Reheat Tomato Sauce
You have several ways to reheat your homemade tomato sauce. Take a look at the options:
- Instant Pot you made the tomato sauce in the Instant Pot so you can also reheat it in the Instant Pot. You can set it to the Keep Warm option or you can put it under pressure. Add about 1/4 cup water close the lid and secure. then set to Manual or Pressure Cook for 3 minutes. Quick-release when the cooking time is done
- Cast-iron Dutch Oven preheat the Dutch Oven to medium-hot and add the tomato sauce. Let it warm up slowly and add water if the sauce is too thick. Stir it through regularly.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Wings In Instant Pot
Can I Can This Marinara Sauce Is It Freezer Friendly
Yes!!! If you want to can this sauce, pour the hot sauce to sterilized canning jars, sealing tightly with new lids, and follow canning instructions for your jars.
You can also allow the sauce to cool down and transfer it into freezer safe containers or or bags and it will stay good for a couple months.
Easy Instant Pot Meat Sauce Recipe
What are the foods that you keep in your pantry for easy weeknight dinners? I usually have canned beans, wild-caught canned tuna , and some type of homemade spaghetti sauce.
When my husband brought home a huge box of ripe tomatoes, I instantly decided to make my famous electric pressure cooker spaghetti sauce recipe as we love a good pasta meal around here.
This delicious sauce will quickly become your favorite meal. As its hearty and tasty, made with mild ground sausage and fresh tomatoes. You can use hot sausage or skip it altogether for a vegetarian version. It has an amazing flavor from the fresh ingredients and it tastes better than the store-bought jarred sauce.
This is the best spaghetti sauce that you can make in a fraction of the time for busy weeknight dinners. It will make your house smell fantastic, and it tastes like its from a high-end Italian restaurant.
It has been flavored with many dried herbs, and its such a time-saver to have on hand. I like to make a large batch of this great recipe and freeze it to use on lazy nights for quick dinners.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
How To Prevent Tomato Sauce From Burning In The Instant Pot
To make sure you dont get a burn error, its important to pile the ingredients on top of your tomatoes, especially the thick tomato paste. This way, theres plenty of liquid on the bottom of the pot to keep the other ingredients from burning or sticking to the bottom.
Once you get your ingredients in the pot, this sauce cooks pretty quicklyjust 25 minutes at manual pressure with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
Cooked ingredients. Remove the onion pieces before blending.
When everything’s cooked, you simply remove the onion and blend it all together. If you have an immersion blender, its super simple to blend up your tomato sauce right in the Instant Pot. Otherwise, a regular blender or food processor are fine. Pulse a little or blend a lot, depending on the consistency you want.
You can even do this by hand with a potato masher and or large fork, as long as youre okay with a chunkier marinara sauce.
Blending with an immersion blender in the same pot.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce For Pasta
May 5, 2019 By Jill Selkowitz / Updated March 16, 2020 / As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs I earn from qualifying purchases see all disclosures.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce for Pasta cooks up in under 30 minutes in the pressure cooker. Homemade sauced tastes like you have been simmering all day.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce for Pasta
We all love homemade spaghetti sauce that cooks all day on the stove.
With the Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi or Pressure Cooker, you can have that same taste with just a 10 minute cook time.
Meat lovers, use some Italian Sausage and/or any other ground meat you would like in your sauce. I prefer a vegetarian sauce and this recipe is my favorite.
Cast of Ingredients for Instant Pot Beef and Macaroni
My husband loves this Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce for Pasta with whole sausage and meatballs. Ive never been a huge fan of meat sauce. I do, however, like to brown the sausage and meatballs and then remove them from the pot. Then continue with the rest of the ingredients. When we are ready to eat, I usually put the sausage and meatballs back into the pot to warm. The husband can take the meat with his meal and I grab some sauce. We both win.
However, sometimes I do just crumble up the sausage and/or ground beef/turkey and make this sauce.
Jump to Section
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Make Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Mistake: You’re Not Doing The Water Test
The water testwhich essentially lets you get to know the Instant Pot and ensure everything is running smoothlymight not seem necessary, but not doing it could ruin a lot of potentially good food. “It’s there for helping you become familiar with your cooker. You press the buttons, you see what happens when you do quick release it’s really important,” Di Meglio says
You May Like: Instant Pot Chicken Thighs Frozen
Cooking Stuffed Green Peppers In Tomato Soup On The Stove Tip
If there is any leftover meat mixture I just make this extra into meatballs and put it right into the pot with the peppers.
When all the peppers are stuffed I put 3 to 4 regular size cans of Campbells Tomato Soup with enough water to make enough soup to cover the peppers in the pot. For the water, it is usually 1/2 can of water to each can of soup. All of your peppers need to be submerged in the liquid for proper cooking.
Heat the soup mixture to boiling, reduce it to simmer place a lid, and let this simmer for 60 to 90 minutes. After 60 minutes I do take a temperature thermometer into the center of the largest pepper to make sure that the beef is cooked to 190°.
As this is a traditional depression-era family dish, it is simply served in a bowl with one green pepper with lots of sauce salt-and-pepper to taste.
What Is The Best Tomato For Tomato Sauce
The most widely available tomato in the United States thats great for making tomato sauce is Roma tomatoes. Its not as sweet as a San Marzano tomato, but it has a meaty texture and few seeds. The caveat is that it has a thicker skin that most people would want to peel.
If you want to skip peeling the tomatoes, and make a no peel tomato sauce, smaller tomatoes and heirloom varieties have thinner skins that blend well. This is the option I went with, but whether you choose a tomato that has thinner skin, or a tomato that has fewer seeds, is totally up to you.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Tips For Perfect Instant Pot Pasta
Id like to say that Instant Pot spaghetti is foolproof, but after spending a lot of time reading through comments in an Instant Pot Facebook group, I quickly learned that a few common problems plague this kind of recipe. But all of them can be easily avoided with good technique.
- Always scrape the bottom of the pot after browning the meat. The goal here is to avoid getting a BURN warning from your pot, so youll want to brown the meat, add a little water to the pot, and scrape, scrape, scrape before you add the marinara.
- Layer the water under and over the pasta. To cook the pasta evenly, youll want to make sure there is water both under the pasta and over it. I like to rinse my sauce jar with water and then pour it over the pasta to avoid waste, but feel free to skip this if youre using homemade sauce.
- Resist the urge to stir after the pasta is added. As soon as youve got the pasta in the pot and the water over it, put the lid on. You can give the pasta a gentle prod, but do not stir, which will give you gummy, stuck-together pasta.
Tips To Make It Perfect
Follow these few tips to make sure your Instant Pot Spaghetti turns out perfect:
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Spanish Rice
This Spanish rice is super easy to prepare in the Instant Pot. In fact, its my favorite way to make rice! But I’ve also include stovetop instructions if you don’t own an Instant Pot.
- To start, youll want to have everything close by. Gather and measure all the ingredients, then set them aside.
- Add the oil to the inner pot, then press the sauté feature on the Instant Pot. Once the oil is melted add in the rice and 1 teaspoon onion granules. Stir constantly. The onion will brown fast which will add flavor to the rice. Continue to sauté until the rice begins to brown as well.
- Press the cancel button on the Instant Pot, then mix in the tomato sauce, seasonings, and water.
- Seal the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual/pressure cook for 10 minutes, at high pressure. Allow for natural pressure release.
Note: Some of the greens and tomato sauce will have set on top. Give the rice a stir to mix everything back together. If the rice is a bit too sticky leave the lid open to allow the steam to continue to escape. Otherwise, its ready to eat!
How To Store Leftovers:
- Refrigerate: First, let the instant pot pasta sauce fully cool to room temperature and after that transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Freeze: Tomato-based sauces tend to freeze and thaw the best, but meat-based sauces can also stand up to freezing. Let the sauce cool completely. Pour into freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. Label with the date, and freeze for up to 3-4 months, or longer if you use a deep freeze.
- Thaw: Transfer the sauce to your refrigerator the night before you wish to use it to allow it to thaw.
- Reheat: Add the sauce to a saucepan and reheat it to at least 165 F before you consume it.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Yogurt In Instant Pot Without Yogurt Button