Want More Easy Dinner Ideas
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our most popular cookbook Dinner Made Easy is all about quick, easy, and delicious family dinner entrees. We did all the organization, all the taste-testing with picky kids, and all the hacks to cut the prep time so that you can focus on spending more time with your family.
The complete family meal game plan in this cookbook is arranged in seven popular categories:
- 30 Minutes or Less
Make It In Your Crock Pot
Yeap, you can make this a slow cooker beef pot roast instead because sometimes nothing but your slow cooking will do.
Can I Use Frozen Beef For This Recipe
You wouldnt think that youd be able to go from freezer to Instant Pot in this recipe, but, just like using frozen chicken breasts, you can also use frozen beef for this recipe. Because the meat cooks with steam and pressure, it will thaw and then cook all at the same time.
The only difference is in the cooking time. Add about 20-30 minutes to your pressure cooking time if going with a frozen roast. No need to sear it either, just rub the spices on the roast and then put the frozen roast in the pot and go to the pressure cooking step.
Read Also: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
What Does Pulled Beef Mean
Well you could say shredded beef essentially because it is the same idea.
Pulled beef is a term that means a cut of meat that is slow cooked to the point of being able to be pulled apart easily.
Its cooked for several hours of normal cooking, or an hour of pressure cooking. It simply means a form of over cooking to make the meat tender.
How can you serve Instant Pot pulled beef?
Hawaiian sweet bread buns are great to use for a sweet and tangy flavor.
Tips to remember:
After your initial pressure cooking time of 90 minutes allow the pot to naturally release the steam for 10 minutes.
Quick release isnt the best when cooking large cuts of meat. You can maintain more of the juiciness and tenderness if you allow it some time to pressure release the steam slowly.
- Our roast was 3.5 lbs. If you were cooking a much smaller piece, about 2 lbs. then 60 minutes may be enough to get it to the tenderness you want it.
I shred the beef and remove all the large pieces of fat and bone at this time. Leaving it in the liquid will keep it tender and it will continue to soak up more of the flavor the longer it sits in it too.
How To Make Pot Roast In The Instant Pot
- Trim the excess fat off the beef, then cut it into 3-4 large chunks.
- Combine the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl, then coat the beef chunks with the rub.
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add oil. Once hot, add beef and sear until browned on all sides, about 5-10 minutes. Set beef aside on a plate.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Then add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more. Next, add the red wine, broth, and Worcestershire sauce and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Return the beef to the pot, then top with the potatoes. Dont stir.
- Place lid on pot and set to seal. Cook on manual HIGH pressure for 45 minutes. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure .
- Add carrots. Place lid on pot and set to seal. Cook on manual HIGH pressure for 4 minutes. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure.
- Remove beef and veggies from Instant Pot and arrange on a serving platter.
- Add the cornstarch slurry to the liquid left in the Instant Pot. Press SAUTE and cook for 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
Recommended Reading: Vegetarian Recipes Instant Pot
How To Make A Pot Roast In Your Pressure Cooker
- Cut. Cut the beef chuck roast into several pieces, each the size of your palm. Place the beef into the Instant Pot.
- Add. Mix together the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire Sauce, dried Rosemary, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Then add the onions to the mixture.
- Cook. Pour sauce on chuck roast. Close the lid and pressure cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. Immediately release all pressure.
- Veggies. Add potatoes, cut up carrots or baby carrots, onions, celery, and mushrooms.
- Finish. Close the lid and cook on high pressure 4 minutes. Allow the pot to rest undisturbed for 10 minutes. Then, release all remaining pressure. Remove beef chuck and shred.
- Serve. Place on a serving dish. Arrange all the vegetables around the meat. Serve the pot liquid as a sauce or au jus gravy on the side.
- Optional: You can make a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce, but you may not need to.
How To Reheat Pioneer Woman Instant Pot Pot Roast
In The Oven:
- After cutting the Pioneer Woman Instant Pot Pot Roast, transfer it to a baking dish in its sliced form.
- After that, I pour any remaining fluids from the pan over the meat, topping it out with additional beef broth if necessary.
- Cover the dish, then place it in the oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for exactly ten minutes.
- This prevents the Instant Pot Pot Roast from being overcooked or dry by preventing the loss of moisture while cooking.
In The Microwave:
- Put the Pioneer Woman Instant Pot Pot Roast in a dish that can be heated in the microwave.
- Place the dish in the microwave and select the reheat option.
- Warm the Pioneer Pot Pot Roast for an additional thirty seconds.
- Check on the roast in the pot.
- It may be necessary to repeat steps 3 and 4.
- Using a slow cooker to reheat previously cooked pot roast.
- Place the slow cooker in a warm setting.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean The Instant Pot
What Is Instant Pot Chuck Roast Like
Chuck roast in the instant pot is tender, juicy, and perfect for lots of different meals. You can use chuck roast for tacos, pot roast, roast beef dinners, meal prep, sandwiches and the list goes on and on.
However, what I love most about instant pot chuck roast is that you can cook it for less and you have sliced roast beef, cook it for longer and you have pulled beef.
Plus, donât forget that chuck roast is known for being a tough cut of meat and the instant pot does an amazing job of cooking it much quicker than the slow cooker.
*what’s The Difference Between A Pot Roast And A Chuck Roast
So heres the thing. A chuck roast is a cut of meat and a pot roast is a style of preparation. Any cut of meat that comes from the chuck, or the shoulder part, is a chuck roast. A pot roast doesnt have to be chuck, it can be any cut of meat thats prepared by slowly braising it with a little liquid until its juicy and tender. Although quite frankly, some of us believe that a well-marbled chuck roast does, indeed, make the most magnificent pot roast.
Read Also: How To Set Instant Pot To Manual
How Long Do You Cook A Pot Roast For In The Instant Pot
It depends on the size of the roast. A rough estimation is 75-90 minutes per pound of meat. In order to give you a nice crust on the outside and fall-apart meat on the inside, we are going to cook at a high heat for a short time and then slow roast it for the rest of the time. With slow-cooked oven roasts, start the oven at 450 degrees and cook it at that high temperature for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature down to 240 degrees.
Then depending on how much the roast weighs will determine how long to cook it:
- 3 lb roast: 3-4 hours
- 4 lb roast: 3.5 5 hours
- 5 lb roast: 4 5.5 hours
- 6 lb roast: 4.5 6 hours
- 7 lb roast: 5 6.5 hours
- 8 lb roast: 5.5 7.5 hours
- 9 lb roast: 6 8 hours
- 10 lb roast: 7.5 9 hours, possibly up to 10 hours
Every single roast is different and every oven will cook a little differently, so use the outlined times as a guide. Start checking your roast at the first time mentioned and then go from there until your pork roast is so tender that it falls apart.
You want the internal temperature of the pork roast to be somewhere between 175 180 degrees.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 If desired, cut the beef into bite-size pieces, discarding fat and cartilage if necessary. Return beef to the mixture in the insert and serve.
- tip 2 Leftover beef from this Instant Pot® roast recipe makes a great sandwich, especially with a creamy horseradish spread.
- tip 3 Be sure to stir in the cornstarch mixture gently since the vegetables will be very tender.
- tip 4 Wondering what to do with your pressure cooker roast leftovers? Try our recipe for Roast Beef Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions, It’s the perfect lunch follow-up.
- tip 5 You can also enjoy any leftovers from this Instant Pot® beef roast recipe as a delicious Pot Roast Casserole with a clever shortcut using Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes.
Also Check: How To Cook Rice In Instant Pot Duo Nova
Tips For Making Pot Roast
- No Instant Pot? No Problem. Pot roasts can be made using many different cooking methods. If you dont have an Instant Pot, you can try our recipes for making pot roast in the slow cooker or in the oven .
- Easy Freezing: If you have leftovers, roast can easily be shredded and frozen to eat at a later date. Just remove any vegetables and place in a Ziplock bag or a freezer-safe airtight container to freeze. When ready to re-heat thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat or add to your favorite shredded beef recipes.
What Is The Difference Between A Roast And A Pot Roast
The most notable distinction between pot roast and roast beef is that pot roast is prepared using a liquid, but roast beef is typically cooked without any added liquid. Roast beef may be made from almost any cut of cattle muscle if it is dry roasted beforehand. Even some cuts that are more often prepared as steaks can be used.
Don’t Miss: What Does L000 Mean On Instant Pot
What Cut Of Beef Is Good For Shredding
Chuck roast! It probably isnt something you buy every day but it is one of the cheapest cuts actually and works great for this.
Rump or bottom round will shred too but guaranteed youll find chuck roast in every grocery store for next to nothing. We love inexpensive meals!
You can even cook a frozen roast if you forgot to defrost it! Of course its better to have it thawed for Instant Pot roast beef but it happens.
What Makes This Instant Pot Pot Roast So Incredible
There are few things as comforting and delicious as a good pot roast. However, I can certainly do without the long cook time. I mean, what if I decide at 5 or 6 PM on a weeknight that I want to have pot roast for dinner?
I certainly don’t want to wait until 8 PM or later to start eating dinner, and my husband certainly wouldn’t wait that long either. So what is a girl to do?
Make a delicious Pot Roast in the Instant Pot, that’s what. This is the best part about Instant Pot Recipes–super fast, and tender meat, but only if you know what you’re doing TBH.
Read Also: When Can I Open My Instant Pot
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- Cook for 20 minutes per pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
What To Serve With Pioneer Woman Instant Pot Pot Roast
This pot roast, when combined with the veggies and gravy, makes for a substantial supper that doesnt require much in the way of other side dishes. When there is leftover gravy, I prefer to serve some Ciabatta Bread or Cabbage Rolls on the side so that people can soak it up. This one-pot supper would be enhanced by the Blueberry Crisp and refreshing Green Bean Salad.
You May Like: How To Pressure Cook With Instant Pot
How Do You Add Flavor To Pot Roast
A seriously delicious pot roast seasoning mix is one of the reasons this recipe is so special. This mixture of dried herbs and spices adds a TON of flavor to both the roast and the gravy. Many other pot roast recipes are under seasoned resulting in a bland, flavorless roast.
The amounts called for in the recipe will make exactly the amount of seasoning needed. It can be mixed up in advance and stored in an airtight container to save time.
Why Use An Instant Pot
Have you joined the instant pot craze??
I put it off, like I usually do with new kitchen gadgets, because I was afraid it was a funky trend that would fizzle out but after friends raving non stop about theirs, I broke down and got myself one.
Im obsessed! Where has this thing been all of my life?
And just to clear things up, I say Instant Pot because thats the brand that I own and is most familiar with everyone, but these recipes are not sponsored by the brand in any way and any pressure cooker will do just fine! I dont care what brand it is, just get your hands on one pronto. Its seriously takes one pot cooking to a whole new level of awesome.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Pinto Beans In An Instant Pot
What Is A Chuck Roast
The term chuck roast is used for any cut of meat that comes from the chuck, or the shoulder part of the steer. It usually has wonderful marbling throughout the meat.
A chuck roast is great for pressure cooking or slow cooking. Both of these cooking methods will deliver you with a melt-in-your-mouth, delicious meal.
Chuck roast isnt a cut of meat that can be rushed. It takes quite some time or pressure to cook. Dont try grilling, pan searing or baking this cut for a short period of time. Its the perfect meat to cook on a lazy Sunday when you have plenty of time and dont need dinner on the table in a flash.
Instant Pot Chuck Pot Roast
We covered this on the blog last Friday and if you want to use chuck to make a pot roast then check out our instant pot frozen pot roast.
For doing a pot roast the chuck is cooked for longer to make it easy to shred. Then when the chuck is resting, we use the stock to quickly cook the potatoes and carrots to serve with it.
Read Also: How To Place Trivet In Instant Pot
Sunday Pot Roast In The Instant Pot
Pot Roast has always been a favorite Sunday dinner in our family. Sometimes we make it with mashed potatoes, sometimes with ingredients like carrots and potatoes cooked with the roast. Either way, it is always delicious. Because I sometimes forget to put the roast in the oven or slow cooker in time, I find myself scrambling to get dinner ready. Ive walked in the door from church and thought, SHOOT! I never put the roast in! If you are like me, this Instant Pot recipe is a lifesaver especially on those days. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Update: Since we first created this recipe, weve had many comments regarding the success of this recipe. Weve updated the original post to include some of the most frequently asked questions and comments.