Can You Make Mashed Potatoes And Gravy With Instant Pot Pot Roast
Yes! If you are a mashed potato fan, youve got to try my favorite Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy recipe! Its made with dry onion soup mix and youre only putting four ingredients into the Instant Pot so it is truly the easiest pot roast you will ever make and so fall-apart tender. When the roast is done, you pull out the potatoes and mash them with sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic and top them with savory beef broth gravy right from the Instant Pot!
What Else Is In Broccoli Cheddar Soup
In addition to shredded cheddar cheese, heres what you need to make this easy broccoli cheese soup. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Butter Sauteing the veggies in butter adds a solid base of flavor and improves the rich, creamy mouthfeel.
- Onion and garlic If chopped small, this aromatic duo disintegrates during the pressure cooking process, ultimately helping to thicken the soup and add flavor.
- Broccoli You can use freshly chopped broccoli florets, pre-chopped broccoli, or frozen broccoli.
- Carrots Youll need about three medium carrots, diced small or julienned. To save time, grab a bag of pre-shredded carrots.
- Chicken stock Use a great-tasting homemade or store-bought chicken stock, broth, or bone broth. To make vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup, use vegetable broth instead.
- Half and half This adds an extra layer of creaminess. If you dont have half and half, use whole milk or equal parts whole milk and heavy cream.
- Cornstarch slurry Cornstarch and water are used as a thickening agent.
Pulled Pork Instant Pot Faqs
What cut of pork should I use in this recipe?
The best cut of pork to use in this recipe is a boneless pork shoulder roast, also known as a pork butt or Boston butt. This cut of pork is well-marbled and has a good balance of meat and fat, which makes it ideal for slow cooking and shredding. It has a good amount of collagen, which when cooked low and slow, turns into gelatin, making the meat tender and juicy.Another cut of pork that can be used is a pork picnic roast. This cut is similar to the pork shoulder roast, but it has a bone in it, which can add more flavor to the dish.
How should I serve pulled pork?
This style of meat is so versatile! Its great on a sandwich with a little coleslaw and baked beans on the side, as a taco, on nachos, mixed in with mac and cheese to create a fun bowl, or even on its own next to some potato skins! There are tons of possibilities and because it reheats so well, youve got plenty of options for leftovers!
Also Check: How To Cook Short Ribs In The Instant Pot
How To Make It:
- Start by searing your small cuts of beef in the Instant Pot. Sear on all sides until they have a nice golden brown color.
- Remove the beef from the pot and add in chopped onion and sauté for a few minutes, then toss in garlic and tomato paste.
- Deglaze the pan by splashing in red wine and scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour in the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, as well as the potatoes and carrots.
- Place the chunks of beef on top and add in the fragrant rosemary, thyme and bay leaves.
Instant Pot Roast Recipe Tips
- Its important to let the pressure release naturally, so leave it for another 20 minutes after cooking.
- Feel free to release the vent after 20 minutes. This will release any extra steam and allow you to open the lid.
- For maximum flavor and tenderness for our pressure cooker pot roast, we recommend using Certified Angus Beef® brand beef its the BEST beef available! It is perfectly marbled, which means that its seriously flavorful.
Recommended Reading: Power Cooker Vs Instant Pot
How To Cook Pot Roast In Instant Pot
A Note On The Original Recipe
- Grandmas pot roast calls for a 6-ounce can of V8 juice as the cooking liquid. Since I suspect most of us dont drink V8 on the reg like she and Grandpa did, I swapped it for regular tomato juice and upped the seasonings slightly to compensate.
- I added extra liquid to make sure the pressure cooker didnt trigger a burn warning. I recommend adding ½ cup of liquid to the Instant Pot for a roast.
Typically you need at least 1 cup of liquid in the Instant Pot the remaining ½ cup comes from the juices released by the chuck roast and the tomato sauce.
You May Like: Can You Slow Cook In An Instant Pot
What Side Dishes Go Well With Pot Roast
Well mashed potatoes . Im a huge fan of the two together! However, the potatoes are the second part of this recipe and are easy enough to skip. Other side opportunities include:
- If you want a little greens, consider adding this simple tossed green salad.
- Roasted Brussels sprouts, green beans, or broccoli are easy to whip together while the roast isroasting.
- If you like the idea of potatoes but not mashed potatoes, you could make my favorite Company Potatoes or some simple roasted or baked ones in the oven with a little EVOO or butter and salt and pepper.
- Sometimes I like to go simple with my veggie sides and arrange cut-up carrots, celery, and cucumbers to a dinner plate with some hummus or ranch dressing for dipping.
- Other grain and pasta sides that go great with pot roast include couscous, white or brown rice, and wide egg noodles.
How To Make Pulled Pork In The Instant Pot: A Step
Read Also: How To Install Trivet In Instant Pot
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast
So, with all that background in mind, I have found that there are a few key tips to making a good Instant Pot roast.
- Start with good tried and true cut of meat. So, use a chuck roast. In a pinch a round roast might suffice.
- Use a good amount of flavoring. In my case I cook in beef broth and use Montreal Steak seasoning, onion soup mix, and bay leaves.
- Pressure cook the roast for at least 20 minutes per pound.
- Natural release, preferably a full natural release, but if impatient, try to get at least 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook the vegetables separately to avoid mushy veggies.
Pot Roast Recipe Instant Pot
What should I make for dinner tonight? This might just be the number one question that we ask ourselves almost daily over here.
Then you have come to the right place, we have rounded up 15 pot roast recipe instant pot that we have shared over the years.
Plus, there is such a variety of flavours in these recipes, so you are sure to find something for you. Most of these recipes are quick and easy ones made especially for busy weeknights.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Fresh Broccoli In Instant Pot
Tips To Perfect Instant Pot Pot Roast & Faqs
Know when roast is done. Roast is different than a steak in that you wont be looking at your digital thermometer to gauge how done your steak is especially since this roast is cooking in a pressure cooker, so you wont be able to just open it to check your progress. Your roast should be done after 45 minutes at high pressure, with a natural release.
After the pressure releases on its own , remove the pressure cooker lid, and test the roast with a fork, lightly pulling on the meat with the fork tines. If the roast is soft, and starts to shred with light pressure, youre done!
If your roast isnt done. If your roast is a bit large, or you didnt get a great seal, you might need to add a bit more cooktime. In the rare case its not tender after 45 minute pressure cook time, try an additional 5 minutes at high pressure and you should be all the way there.
Easy Instant Pot Roast Beef
Posted on Last updated:
My Easy Instant Pot Roast Beef is a great tasting dish that can be prepared, cooked and on the table in just over an hour. All the flavor of a slow cooked pot roast beef, but without the lengthy cook. Add carrots and potatoes to the Instant Pot for a quick and easy one pot dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Rice In An Instant Pot
Cooking Time For Instant Pot Pot Roast
The Instant Pot website lists the cooking time for small chunks of beef roast at 15-20 minutes per 450 grams or 1 pound and large chunks at 20-25 minutes per 450 grams or 1 pound. I prefer roasting a large roast that is not cut into chunks to avoid accidentally overcooking or drying it. That also assures that the collagen is spread through the whole roast. I cook at 25 minutes per pound and typically use a three pound roast. So 75 minutes is about perfect for that. You will see some suggest 90 minutes for any roast, but I have seen reports of overcooked roasts with that length of time, and a generic time that does not consider the weight of the roast is not very helpful. However, overcooking usually wont harm things too much other than causing a loss of flavor and some drying.
Very small roasts can be tricky. I suggest adding more time, even perhaps doubling it, than the normal 20-25 minutes per pound for a small roast.
Natural Release is also key to a good Instant Pot roast. If impatient, give the natural release at least 15 minutes. My full natural release took 25 minutes. Doing so helps lock in the juices and keep the meat moist. It seems that many times when a person reports getting a tough roast they either pressure cooked it for too short of a time, or they used quick release. So, once quick release is used, your 3 pound roast will actually take longer, around 100 minutes.
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup In The Instant Pot
To start, set the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode and add the butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook until softened. Continue by sauteeing the garlic, then add the broccoli, carrots, and chicken stock.
Lock the lid in place, making sure the steam valve is in the sealed position. Pressure cook on HIGH for 2 minutes. Once the timer stops, press CANCEL and manually quick release the steam.
Turn SAUTE mode back on and add the half and half, shredded cheese, and dry spices. Keep stirring until the cheese melts.
Whisk the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl once the cheese is melted, then pour it into the soup. Stir until the soup thickens.
Also Check: Instant Pot Drumsticks Frozen
The Best Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe a delicious tender complete pot roast and potato dinner right from an instant pot! Can be made from-frozen, too!
Be sure to check out our knockout Instant Pot Dr Pepper Pot Roast for another twist on a chuck roast recipe!
Here at Sweet Cs we know we have lots of types of readers some who want lots of information about the recipes they are making, some who want just certain tips, and some who want to get straight to the recipe. While our posts are longer and broken up into many sections, we do this to provide you with enough information to feel empowered to make a great dish every time you step in the kitchen, no matter your comfort level cooking.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Why Use An Instant Pot
Have you joined the instant pot craze??
I put it off, like I usually do with new kitchen gadgets, because I was afraid it was a funky trend that would fizzle out but after friends raving non stop about theirs, I broke down and got myself one.
Im obsessed! Where has this thing been all of my life?
And just to clear things up, I say Instant Pot because thats the brand that I own and is most familiar with everyone, but these recipes are not sponsored by the brand in any way and any pressure cooker will do just fine! I dont care what brand it is, just get your hands on one pronto. Its seriously takes one pot cooking to a whole new level of awesome.
Read Also: How To Cook Fish In Instant Pot
How Do You Make Instant Pot Pot Roast
Start by browning your roast in the pot. Remove the roast from the pot, then saute the onions and garlic until tender. Add a little red wine to the pot, along with an assortment of herbs and spices. Next, pour in beef broth and place the roast back in the pot. Cook the roast, then manually release the pressure. Add carrots and potatoes to the pot, then bring it back to pressure and cook for a few more minutes until the veggies are tender. Remove the roast and veggies to the pot, then stir corn starch into the pot liquid to turn it into a gravy. Shred the meat, then serve with the gravy, carrots and potatoes.
Instant Pot Roast Beef
We love a home cooked Beef Pot Roast in our home, and Ive typically prepared it in the oven or slow cooker. However, sometimes I dont have time in the morning to get it in the Crockpot, or Im not home in time to prepare it for the oven.
Thats when I make this Best Ever Instant Pot Roast Beef and Vegetables, all the flavor with less cooking time. Cooking Roast Beef in the Pressure Cooker could not be any easier.
Using my new Instant Pot, I can get it ready in about an hour, which is a huge time saver for me! This makes it possible to enjoy this great tasting Instant Pot Roast Beef any night of the week.
This recipe requires the basic ingredients that you would normally expect in a pot roast. However, you can also add, swap, or remove ingredients based on your personal preferences. Make the dish your own!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Spaghetti Squash In Instant Pot
How To Make The Best Pot Roast Gravy
- After removing the pot roast and vegetables from the Instant Pot, set it to sauté and add ½ cup of water to the concentrated cooking liquid in the bottom of the pot. Taste and if needed, add additional water to dilute as desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch and whisk the slurry into the cooking liquid. Then, simmer the gravy for about 5 minutes, or until it is thickened to your liking.
If the gravy is not as thick as youd like after simmering, mix together an additional 1 tablespoon water with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and whisk it in to the gravy to thicken it further.