Tricks For Smooth And Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
If youre in a hurry, you can use your KitchenAid mixer. But you need to be really carefuloverwhipping your potatoes can make them gluey and youll still be likely to have some lumps.
Butter first. Another tip is to stir in the room temperature butter before adding the warm liquids to the mashed potatoes.
When Im in a hurry, Ill warm the butter and milk together. However, if you add room temperature butter and stir them in before adding warm liquid, . This will prevent the mashed potatoes from absorbing as much liquid so theyll stay dry and fluffy.
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Potatoes:
- Use a trivet so your potatoes are perfectly steam-cooked without any brown edges.
- Cut the potatoes so they are uniform in size and large enough to sit on the rack without slipping through.
- Salt to Taste after mashing and add more at the end if needed.
Have Leftover Mashed Potatoes? Use leftover potatoes to make our famous cheesy Mashed Potato Pancakes. They are family friendly, use simple ingredients and are quick and easy to make.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is just another reason to love your instant pot. Its a time saver and produces consistently great results every time.
How To Store And Reheat
Storing: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Reheating: You should try my favorite way to reheat mashed potatoes on a skillet with oil or butter. They get a bit of an irresistible crust. Or warm up on the stove on low with a splash of milk.
Freezing: Unlike potato cubes, mashed potatoes freeze well because they are mashed with dairy. Freeze in portions with future use in mind in an airtight container container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a counter for 4-5 hours or in the fridge overnight.
Make ahead by refrigerating peeled and cubed potatoes in a bowl covered with cold water for up to 2 days. Cook as per recipe.
Recommended Reading: Are Instant Pots Dishwasher Safe
Why Make Mashed Potatoes In The Instant Pot
If youve ever had mashed potatoes that taste watery and bland, its likely because they boiled for too long and took on too much water. Steaming them solves the watery mashed potato problem, and making them in Instant Pot means you dont have to hover over them to make sure they cook properly. Just turn the IP on and walk away. Heres how its done!
Are There Any Other Add
You can add whatever you want to the mashed potatoes. If you like garlic-flavored potatoes, add 1/2 tsp garlic powder when you smash them. You can also add chives or green onions. If you want to make loaded mashed potatoes, you can add bacon, cheese, and green onions. If you are serving them with gravy over them, I suggest leaving them as the recipe is written. Any way you serve these, you are going to love them!
Don’t Miss: Can I Pressure Cook Frozen Meat
Can You Use The Instant Pot To Keep Mashed Potatoes Warm
Yes! After mashing the potatoes, wash the pressure cooker insert. This removes the starch that clings to the pot from cooking the potatoes. Generously butter the bottom and sides of the pot, add a splash of heavy cream to the bottom of the pot, place the mashed potatoes into the pot, and turn on the keep warm setting. Stir the potatoes occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot. If you have a glass lid for your pressure cooker, this is a good time to use it. If not, be sure the valve on the lid remains in the venting position.
When ready to serve, transfer the potatoes to a serving dish and top with a pat of butter and some chopped chives. Then get ready to hear your friends and family ooh and aah over your perfect mashed potatoes. The secret to how easy they were to make is safe with me.
Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipesyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
If you are looking for ways to jazz up chicken breasts with your InstantPot … on garlic mashedpotatoes and on the bread I served with it.” “I am not a fan of doing dishes, so I make the sauce in the crock pot first and stir in the chicken once …
Inquiries Related to six sisters instant pot mashed potatoes That People AlsoAsk
Users searching six sisters instant pot mashed potatoes will probably have many other questions relatedto it. Currently, there are 20 results released and the latest one isupdated on 31 Dec 2021. The above search results can partly answer users’ queries,however, there will be many other problems that users are interested in. We list themost common ones below.
What will you give me when I search Six Sisters Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes?
Our system will base on the phrase Six Sisters Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes to give the most relevant results, including event information that matches your search needs. It will be useful information related to Random_keyword
How can I get more information about cooking tips related to Six Sisters Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes?
If you want to get more information about cooking tips, you can check it by yourself. Enter Six Sisters Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes + cooking tips or any keyword related to the cooking tips you desire into the search bar. Our system checks to see if you have any cooking tips of Six Sisters Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes or not.
How do I save recipes? Where can I find them?
Also Check: Pressure Cook Tamales
What Are The Best Potatoes For Mashed Potatoes
Both Russet and Yukon Gold potatoes work well for mashed potatoes. Russet potatoes have a high starch content and pale interior and make light, fluffy mashed potatoes. Yukon gold potatoes have a light gold interior and make a smoother, creamier mashed potato. Do not use red varieties of potatoes because these have a lower starch content and a more waxy consistency which can lead to a sticky paste texture when mashed.
The Ultimate Comfort Food
- The Instant Pot is a tool that can be a wonder, freeing up stove space and timeespecially for those larger meals like Thanksgiving.
- As much as we love our traditional Mashed Potatoes Recipe or potatoes au gratin, cooking them in an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker keeps things easy and fast.
- These are creamy and fluffy with only one pot, no draining required. Mash them right in the Instant Pot!
- If youre not familiar with the Instant Pot, its an easy-to-use electric pressure cooker. Learn more about the Instant Pot here .
Mashed potatoes are great with a little drizzling in Brown Gravy Make them as a side with an Easy Roast Turkey Recipe, or Perfect Pot Roast. For a simpler dinner make them with our favorite Meatloaf Recipe, Chicken Meatloaf, island style pork or .
Don’t Miss: What Do I Do If My Instant Pot Says Burn
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoesvariation
Creamy garlic mashed potatoes: Go all out with the addition of double cream, sour cream, fresh garlic, cream cheese and parmesan cheese.
Cheesy mashed potato: add some melty cheese like cheddar cheese, monetary jack cheese or any other cheese of choice
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes: add some roasted garlic to your mashed potatoes for some mellow garlicky taste.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Tips:
There is something magical about potatoes in a pressure cooker. They become as light and fluffy as they can be with this method of cooking. Im not sure what the science is behind it, but these are the lightest, creamiest, fluffiest and best mashed potatoes Ive ever had! However, I have a few tips:
Recommended Reading: Can The Instant Pot Be Used For Canning
How To Make Mashed Potatoes In The Instant Pot
I am not kidding when I say that these will cut significant time out of your Thanksgiving prep time. While these cook away, you could be making the cranberry sauce, assembling the stuffing, chatting with your Aunt Nancy, whatever.
Heres how easy it is:
And youre done!
Tips For The Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Making mashed potatoes has never been quicker or easier than these Instant Pot mashed potatoes. Here are a few tips to make these mashed potatoes even better:
- You can add 1 or 2 teaspoons of garlic powder to your mashed potatoes for an extra bit of flavor.
- If your potatoes look too watery after cooking in the Instant Pot, drain a few tablespoons of the liquid.
- Do we have to peel the potatoes? We found that keeping the potatoes skin on adds texture to the dish. But feel free to peel them!
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
Make Ahead And Reheating Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Prepare the mashed potatoes an hour or two before serving them and leave them in the Instant Pot on the warm setting. When youre ready to serve, give them a stir and add a few splashes of milk if they arent smooth. Taste them and add more salt or seasonings, if needed.
To Reheat: You can also rewarm mashed potatoes in the microwave. Add a splash of milk and additional seasonings until you reach the right consistency and taste.
Instant Pot Mahsed Potato Recipe Variations
Mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish and a blank slate to add flavors to. Here are a few of our favorite ways to change up the flavor.
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes. Instead add a little bit of heavy cream or whole milk when you are mashing the potatoes for a more creamy texture.
- Yogurt and Chive Mashed Potatoes. Use to ¼ cup of yogurt or sour cream to mash the potaotes and stir a handful of chopped chives to taste.
- Herb Mashed Potatoes. Stir in a hanful of fresh chopped herbs or dried herbs such as: parsley, rosemary or dill once the potatoes have been mashed.
- Bacon and Cheddar. Add ¼ cup of cheddar cheese, one to two strips of crumbled bacon and a tablespoon or two of chopped green onions.
- Cheesey Mashed Potatoes. Add ¼ cup of shredded or crumbled cheese. Our favorite way is cheddar cheese, blue cheese or parmesan cheese.
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes. This is such an easy recipe to make vegan. Instead of butter, use a few tablespoons of olive oil, vegan butter, vegetable broth or plant based milk such as almond milk or oat milk to mash the potatoes.
- Herb Vegan Mashed Potatoes. Add any combination of fresh herbs mentioned above to the vegan mashed potatoes.
Try this delicious mashed potato recipe with savory beef stew with vegetables.
You May Like: Steaming Frozen Tamales In Ninja Foodi
Best Potatoes For Making Mashed Potatoes
You can make this recipe with Yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoesthey have the same cook time in the pressure cooker.
Russet potatoes have a high starch content and make fluffy, wonderful mashed potatoes. The official Idaho Potato page recommends Idaho Russet Burbank potatoes.
Yukon golds are said to have a more buttery flavor than white potatoes like russets. Theyre not quite as fluffy.
Lately, when I cook mashed potatoes, I like to use a mix of russets and Yukon golds to get the best of both worldsflavor from the Yukon and fluffiness from the russets.
How To Make The Easiest Mashed Potatoes In The Instant Pot
- Place the peeled and cut potatoes, garlic, water, and salt in an Instant Pot. Put on the lid, set it to seal, and pressure cook on HIGH for 11 minutes.
- Quick release when done and add in the milk and butter and mash using a potato masher. Mash until the potatoes are at your preferred consistency. Add in additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Top off with more butter and chives.
Also Check: What Does Burn Mean On Instant Pot Display
More Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Potato Recipes Youll Love
Pressure Cooker Cheesy Hashbrown Casseroleis known in Utah as Funeral Potatoes. Hot, creamy, cheesy, hash brown potatoes topped with a crispy breadcrumb topping. Its the perfect comfort food and its quick and easy to make in the pressure cooker / Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes Au Gratin are made with thinly sliced potatoes coated with a rich, creamy, cheese sauce and crowned with a crispy panko topping. Theyre the perfect side dish for a holiday dinner, but they also make any weeknight meal special.
Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Garlic Roasted Red Potatoesare coated in melted butter, garlic, and herbs, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, and crisped to perfection in an oven. This simple, flavor-packed side dish will steal the show at your next meal!
This Quick Pressure Cooker Potato Salad is the best Instant Pot potato salad recipe!You cook the eggs and potatoes together in the InstaPot get quick, perfectly cooked eggs and potatoes every time.
Instant Pot Chunky Potato Cheese Soup is loaded with chunky potatoes, bacon, corn and two kinds of cheese. A hearty potato soup recipe ready in just minutes in a pressure cooker / Instant Pot.
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
Full instructions are included in the recipe below, but here is a basic overview plus a few important tips for how to make mashed potatoes in the instant pot:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
You May Like: Sirloin Tips Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes: Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make mashed potatoes in the crockpot?
Yes, and theres a recipe for you! Check out these Easiest Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Can you leave the skin on the potatoes?
Totally! While I prefer a smooth, creamy texture, you can leave the skins on to make it even easier. One caveat: if youre using russet potatoes, Id opt to always peel to skin off since the texture isnt as texturally appetizing as a red potato, golden potato, or Yukon potato.
What should I use to mash potatoes?
You can use a potato masher or wooden spoon for mashing. If you want really fluffy and smooth potatoes, you could use an electric hand mixer.
How can I keep these warm before serving?
The Instant Pot has a Keep Warm setting that you can use. However, to avoid any potatoes sticking or burning at the bottom, Id recommend giving them a stir and maybe adding a splash of milk every once in a while.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
Before we get to the full recipe below, here are some quick notes about the ingredients you will need to make this Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe:
- Potatoes: I always like to use a 50/50 blend of Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes when making mashed potatoes, so that you get the perfect blend of buttery and creamy + fluffy and starchy flavors and textures. But feel free to use whatever kind of potatoes you prefer.
- Garlic: This recipe is written with a mild amount of garlic. So if you would like to make garlicky mashed potatoes, I recommend doubling the amount.
- Cream cheese: My go-to ingredient to make mashed potatoes perfectly tangy and creamy.
- Butter: Also a must. Feel free to add in more if you would like your potatoes to be even more buttery.
- Milk: I typically make my potatoes with whole milk, which makes them plenty creamy. But if you would like even richer mashed potatoes, feel free to add in your desired amount of half and half or heavy cream instead.
- Sea salt and black pepper: I cant stress enough how important it is to generously salt and pepper your mashed potatoes! If they taste bland, you definitely need more salt.
- Toppings: If you would like to sprinkle some fresh herbs on your potatoes as a garnish , you cant go wrong with some chopped fresh chives or fresh parsley.
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn