What Is Black Eyed Peas
Black-eyed pea is a type of bean thats creamy yellow-white in color with black eyes on one side.
Theyre also known as black-eyed beans, cowpea, or goat peas. Despite the name, black-eyed peas are actually beans, not peas!
Black eyed peas are extremely nourishing & highly nutritious rich in fiber and protein.
In the American South, black-eyed peas and greens are considered a Lucky New Year food that brings prosperity in the new year.
Fresh Purple Hull Peas In The Instant Pot/pressure Cooker
So, Ive been playing with the new gadget. Overall, the Instant Pot is pretty handy. While I think some recipes I have seen go overboard in trying to make it the end-all-be-all, lets cook everything in it wunderkind, I still can see using it a couple of times a week. Thus far, its worth the investment.
My awesome neighbor dropped by a couple of days ago with a big bag of freshly shelled purple hull peas from the farm. Score! Local food and purple hulls I didnt have to shell myself? Cant beat that with a stick. I knew these would work fairly well in the pressure cooker, so I tossed them in and ended up with perfectly cooked, delicious peas in record time. Heres how I did it:
How To Make Rice And Black
- 1 1/2 cup reserved pork stock
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 15.5 oz can Black-Eyed Peas
Serve and have a Happy New Year!
Don’t Miss: Frozen Pork Loin In Instapot
Tips For Making Instant Pot Black
This recipe specifically uses the Instant Pot. Using a countertop pressure cooker has some serious benefits!
- No Stovetop Space! You dont have to use up a burner on the stove top to make these.
- No Soak Time! You can use dried black-eyed peas without having to soak for hours and rinse them.
- No Babysitting! Using the Instant Pot means you dont have to keep an eye on this recipe.
After cooking a big holiday meal, for example, I know I want some down time in the kitchen! I make these every New Years Day, and its just so nice to have one recipe that barely requires my attention.
Ingredients For Making Black Eyed Peas In The Instant Pot
- Black-Eyed Peas – You want about 16 ounces of dried beans.
- Oil – I prefer to use avocado oil because of the high smoke point.
- Bacon – Chop the raw slices before adding them to the Instant Pot.
- Vegetables – Onion, celery, and carrots add great flavor and texture to this dish.
- Jalapeño – Seed and dice the pepper before adding it.
- Chicken Broth – Whenever possible, I always recommend making your own, but store-bought is also fine.
- Salt and Pepper – Add to taste.
Also Check: Deodorize Instant Pot
Do You Have To Soak Black
No, you do not, its not required for this recipe and in general, dried black-eyed peas dont need to be soaked as long as other types of dried legumes BUT I do soak them because it makes them extra soft, creamy almost, which I like .
I will soak them overnight in a bowl, covered with a plate in the refrigerator.
I put them in the water at night and then the next day I make them.
I give the cooking times for dry vs. soaked black-eyed peas in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How much water do I add to the Instant Pot for this Black Eyed Peas recipe?
I add 4 cups of water for 1 pound of pre-soaked black-eyed peas.
I always use Better than Bouillon Chicken or Vegetable stock base.
If you want to use stock, just do 2 cups water and 2 cups stock of your choice.
If you are just rinsing the black-eyed peas and not soaking them, add 6 cups water .
If you just want them to taste very plain, perhaps to be apart of another recipe, you can just do water only.
Should I Soak The Peas
- Do I have to soak the peas? While normally dried peas/beans do require soaking before cooking, it really doesn’t make a difference in this recipe. I’ve cooked them countless times without soaking and cannot tell a difference at all.
- If I want to soak them, can I? Absolutely! If you’d like to soak them overnight, rinse them off and cover them with water. Allow them to soak at least 6-8 hours. If you’d like to do a quick soak, you will need about a 3:1 ratio of water to peas . Add the peas and water to a small pot, bring them to a boil, then immediately turn them off, put a lid on them and soak for one hour.
Read Also: Instant Pot Sealing Ring Odor
How Can I Make My Black
Carefully blend ½ to ¾ cup partially cooled black-eyed peas and add back to the beans. You can also mash the beans with a fork. Either method, adjust the amount to your desired thickness. Always use caution when blending any hot liquid or soups!
A more traditional method is to create a slurry of 2 tbs of cornstarch and 2 tbs of cooled bean liquid or cool water. Add slowly and stir into the black-eyed peas.
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Ingredients
Black Eyed Peas Hailing from West Africa, black eyed peas are actually beans, and they are a staple in Southern soul food. A traditional New Years meal in the South consists of black eyed peas and collard greens the beans symbolize prosperity and eating them on New Years Day supposedly brings good luck and good health in the new year. Of course, theyre perfect to eat any day theyre a great source of fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
Bay Leaves These herbs have a scent similar to oregano and thyme, and help bring out the other flavors and spices in a dish. Dried bay leaves have a more intense flavor than fresh bay leaves.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Blue Box Mac And Cheese
More Popular Side Dish Recipes:
The first recipe I made was a Beef Stroganoff . I was blown away by the fact that the roast went from raw to falling-apart tender and delicious in under an hour. Next, I saw someone on Facebook talking about “boiling” eggs in the Instant Pot. So I tried that. It was crazy easy.
Then I tried pasta. So, so easy. And it took 4 minutes after pressurizing. 4 MINUTES. Next, I cooked chicken breasts… from FROZEN to DONE in 18 minutes. I.WAS.HOOKED. Where in the world has this appliance been all of my life?!
Oh and about that storage space? I made a place for it on the countertop… I don’t foresee actually putting it away at all. I might use it every day!
How Long Can You Safely Store Cooked Southern
After cooking Southern-style peas, they can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For best results, reheat just the amount of leftover peas you plan to eat. Reheating a whole container of cooked peas over and over is not best. The peas will dry out, and the quality will deteriorate with multiple reheating.
What Can I Add To Black Eyed Peas For Flavor
Garlic and onion this common kitchen duo is commonly used to add flavor to black eyed peas. Garlic is either chopped or minced to release the pungent flavor. Chopped onion is used to release sweetness, especially if it is sautéed first. Together, they combine to add flavor and enhance the overall dish.
Pressure Cook Black Eyed Peas
First, add in ½ tsp fine salt and the remaining chicken stock, then give it a quick stir.
Then, add pork hock pieces in Instant Pot.
Add in 1lb black eyed peas, then make sure theyre fully submerged in the cooking liquid.
Finally, if youre using green collards, add them to Instant Pot here.
*Note: However, if youre using Kale, dont add them yet at this step.
Close lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing position.
Pressure Cooking Methods:
- For Beans With a Bit of Chew: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes + Natural Release for 15 minutes
- For Tender Beans: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 14 minutes + Natural Release for 20 minutes
After 15 or 20 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning Venting Knob to Venting Position.
When Floating Valve drops, open the lid carefully.
Also Check: Instant Pot Chicken Strips Recipe
What Are Black Eyed Peas
Although called a pea, black eyed peas are actually a bean. Both peas and beans are legumes, and both have edible seeds and pods. As with all legumes, black eyed peas are an especially good source of soluble fiber, which helps you to feel fuller longer, and also keeps blood sugar levels balanced.
In the Southern United States, it is a tradition to eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day, as it is thought to bring prosperity in the new year.
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- Black eyed peas in the instant pot are perfect for winter meals or for good luck at a New Years Day dinner on January 1st.
- There is no need to soak the peas which saves you time.
- The instant pot makes cooking black eyed peas easy as the pressure perfectly cooks the beans in under one hour without needing to watch the pot.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Recall
Fresh Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot Time
Learning how to cook fresh black eyed peas is rather easy. They require less cooking time than dry beans. Start by adding all ingredients to the Instant Pot and then cooking fresh blackeyed peas for 9 minutes on high pressure. Follow up with a natural pressure release, and your peas will be cooked to perfection.
Toning Down The Flavor
If you find this being too flavorful for your taste, I have just the right trick for you! Get a potato and peel it, cut it into quarts or halves and place it in the pot. Let it simmer for around 10 minutes and youll notice that the potatoes will have absorbed the excess flavors. An easy remedy you can use for other dishes too.
Don’t Miss: Cooking Frozen Hamburger In Instant Pot
Add Flavor With Broth Bouillon And Stock
I like to add a variety of broth/stock to give flavor to these peas. For a milder flavor, use chicken or vegetable broth. For a richer flavor, use beef. Here are several options for adding flavor with broth/stock.
- Better Than Bouillon Base. This is a thick, concentrated paste that adds deep rich flavor. You can add a teaspoonful to the pot if you have enough liquid to dissolve it. You can also boil water, add the bouillon, and stir for a homemade broth taste.
- Bouillion cubes. I keep chicken and beef cubes on hand to crumble into peas and beans when they need flavor. Knorr is the brand I like, but there are myriad options.
- Bone broth. Bone broth is more concentrated with flavor and nutrients than regular broth and stock. It has protein and calcium and is the best choice for a healthy broth. I always try to keep small cartons on hand to add to peas and beans.
- Stock and broth. The old tried and true Swanson broth and stock will do the job however, it is much richer when mixed with some of the other options listed above.
How Do I Cook 1 Cup Of Pinto Beans In The Instant Pot
Instructions In a mesh sieve, thoroughly rinse the dried beans in cool running water. In the stainless steel insert, add the rinsed beans, water, bay leaf and salt. Close the pressure cooker lid, set the valve on sealing, and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes. Carefully drain the pinto beans and move into a bowl.
You May Like: Can Instant Pot Boil Water
How To Season Black Eyed Peas
This recipe calls for diced tomatoes with jalapenos, so that will bring some spice to the meal. For some extra seasoning, add in salt and pepper to taste.
Optional: We also like to start the pot on saute, and toss in some diced onions and garlic with olive oil. Saute those ingredients for a few minutes before adding in the remaining ingredients. It offers a nice flavor enhancement.
How To Make Black Eyed Peas
Prepare the black eyed peas. First youll want to thoroughly rinse the black eyed peas to remove any debris. Then place them in a large pot and cover with water. Soak the peas overnight, then drain and rinse. See Expert Tips below to speed up this process.
Cook the bacon. Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven, over medium heat until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes or until desired. Transfer the bacon to a paper lined plate and set aside.
Cook veggies. To the pot, add the onion, celery, garlic and jalapeno and cook for another 3 minutes until the vegetables soften.
Add all ingredients and cook. Add the ham, chicken broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper and drained peas to the pot. Stir everything together and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook with the lid on for about 60-80 minutes. Uncover and simmer for another 20 minutes or until the black eyed peas are soft.
Add bacon and season. Discard the bay leaf and stir in the bacon. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed with salt and pepper.
Read Also: What Does Pc Max Mean On Instant Pot
Popular Substitutions & Additions For Instant Pot Southern Black
- You can use bacon grease in place of the oil for a deeper southern style flavor and sprinkle bacon bits when serving.
- Not a pork fan? Try using nutrient-packed beef bone broth or the more popular choice of chicken broth, and smoked paprika.
- A couple of cups of chopped kale or fresh greens and a bay leaf add texture flavor twist.
- If you prefer a spicier dish, add minced garlic and cayenne pepper to the black-eyed peas.
- Hog jowl is a traditional southern addition to black-eyed peas.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions For Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- Black eyed peas You will need one pound of dried beans, not the canned variety which are already soaked. Be sure to rinse them well under cool water to remove any rocks and debris.
- Ham Using a leftover Christmas bone adds so much cured ham flavor, you may not need any additional salt. If your holiday tradition is prime rib instead, use country-cured pork meat or ham hocks from the meat counter at your grocery store.
- Onion Stick with a regular yellow onion for savory flavor, and dice it up small so it blends into the beans.
- Apple cider vinegar This adds a touch of acidity to cut through the richness of the pork.
Also Check: Pork Shoulder Instant Pot Time Per Pound
How Long To Cook Dried Black
For tender, soft peas cook for 30 minutes on high pressure, plus 30 minutes of natural release . This timing has worked for me dozens of times.
However! Some factors can cause you to need more time, such as the age of the dried peas. And honestly, you have no way of knowing this most of the time. This recipe is adaptable, though.
The great thing about the instant pot is that it is super easy to put the lid back on and cook a few extra minutes, if needed.
Can It Be Made With A Ham Hock
Yes, if youd like to use a leftover ham bone rather than bacon, you can add the pre-cooked hock in during cooking. Youll need to use a little olive oil to saute the onion and garlic in since you wont have the bacon grease already in the pot.
Tip: If youre cooking a ham for Christmas, save the hock in the freezer until youre ready to make this recipe.
Don’t Miss: How Much Power Does Instant Pot Use
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Add flavor. Use chicken broth instead of water to enhance the taste.
- Skip the soak. Save time and effort and let the pressure cooker do the work straight from dried.
- Ditch the dirt. Sift through the black eyed peas to make sure there are no foreign objects like rocks.
- Play it safe. Use a wooden spoon or other long object to move the pressure release valve so you dont get burned by the steam.
- Make extra. Storing individual batches in the freezer is great for easy additions to recipes.
- Mix it up. Try other seasonings like garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, or bay leaves in addition to the salt and pepper.
Fresh Or Frozen Black Eyed Peas Work Best
Just before New Years Day, youll see shelves piled high with dry black eyed peas for pennies on the dollar. Ive made many batches of black eyed peas from dried, but I never feel that they turn out the best. I prefer fresh or frozen. The texture just turns out better for me. Dried peas require soaking, which is an unnecessary to do unless you just like using dried.
You May Like: Why Is My Instant Pot Saying Food Burn