How Long Does It Take To Cook Corned Beef In A Pressure Cooker On The Stove
I started cooking corned beef on a stovetop pressure cooker back in the day. It takes a little longer for the stovetop pressure cooker to reach high pressure, so the total cooking time will be closer to 50 minutes.
Over the years I have acquired an electric pressure cooker and an Instant Pot. You can cook corned beef and cabbage in your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, but depending on the size you may have to use a smaller corned beef brisket and fewer potatoes. Be sure to follow the directions for your cooker and dont overfill your pot.
Making Instant Pot Eggs Couldn’t Be Easier Check Out Our Test Kitchen’s Foolproof Method For How To Make Hard
Instant Pots are all the rageand with good reason! The multi-cooker is equipped with an easy-to-use panel of buttons, accompanied by an Instant Pot manual to help you use them all correctly. In order to perfect the best instant pot recipes, start with the simpler of techniques first. I always have hard-boiled eggs on hand for a quick snack or lunch, but had never made my hard-boiled eggs in an Instant Pot before.
After hearing that the machine was able to cook big batches of perfectly hard-boiled eggs in a flash, I asked my friend, chef and dietitian Abbie Gellman, MS, RDN, to bring over her Instant Pot to see if the hype was true.
Dont have an Instant Pot yet? Heres how to choose the best Instant Pot for you.
Understand How Your Instant Pot Works
To cook properly, it’s important to have a basic understanding of how the Instant Pot works.
Inside your Instant Pot is a metal pot. This is where you’re going to place your food and cooking liquid. The pot slips into the outer Instant Pot and is heated from a heating element below.
The heating element boils the liquid, and all that energy is then trapped inside the Instant Pot. The pressure, steam, and heat then cooks the food much quicker than boiling or using a crockpot. Dry beans, for instance, can take half a day in a crockpot, but can be cooked in under an hour in an Instant Pot.
Read Also: How Long To Cook Potatoes In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Vs Pressure Cooker: Which Is Better
The Instant pot has been the hot new cooking appliance for the past few years now. Its a fresh take on the old-fashioned pressure cooker. But you might be wondering if thats all it is more expensive version of a pressure cooker. In the end, which is better?
Before I bought my Instant Pot, I spent a lot of time wondering why I should buy this expensive machine when I could buy a traditional pressure cooker for much less. What made the Instant Pot so fantastic that everyone was buying one?
Ease of use was the difference I finally understood once I bought my Instant Pot and started using it. If you already have a traditional pressure cooker in your kitchen cabinet, you likely dont get it out all that often, right? That is the difference! I use my Instant Pot multiple times per week.
While our mothers and grandmothers were comfortable using a stovetop pressure cooker, many home cooks today are intimidated by the hissing of steam and the potential for the cooker to blow up if you dont use it correctly.
Because of this, pressure cooking has fallen out of favor in the last few decades. But that all changed with the arrival of the Instant Pot a self-contained, electrical pressure cooker with plenty of built in safety features.
Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
We took the viral, melt-in-your-mouth Mississippi pot roast and made it in an Instant Pot® multi-cooker, cutting the overall cook time by more than half. The ranch seasoning and sliced pepperoncini provide just the right amount of spice and tang. The result is a flavorful, fork-tender dish you can make any night of the week.
Get the Recipe: Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
You May Like: How Do You Cook Chicken In An Instant Pot
Keep A Notebook Of Tips When You Convert A Recipe For The Instant Pot
Cooking in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker is easy, but youll want to make notes when you convert recipes to make in one.
Write down notes so youll know what changes you made and can tweak the recipe the next time you make it. Or, if youre cooking from a cookbook, Ive started writing notes in the margins so I can duplicate what changes I made.
Once youve adapted a couple of recipes, it gets easier. You learn to trust your instincts and use your senses.
If youd like to print this post to keep in your notebook, I created a .
Now, its your turn. Id love to hear your tips and tricks. If you have a tip that helps you convert a recipe, please leave a comment. If I didnt answer your question about converting a recipe, leave me a comment too and Ill do my best to answer it.
If youre new to using the Instant Pot, be sure and check out my posts on;Which Instant Pot Button to Use and Quick Pressure Release or Natural Pressure Cooker Release.
Im adding a great;suggestion;by one of my long-time Pressure Cooking Today readers. She suggested new users make several reliable recipes written for the pressure cooker;before trying to adapt their favorites to the pressure cooker. Better to experience some sure success before riding the bike without training wheels, so to speak.
Learn How To Boil Water
Whichever electric pressure cooker you end up with, your first time using it should involve literally learning to boil water. You do this by adding a cup or so of water to the inner pot , sealing the lid, and selecting a short cook time. Within five minutes, the water should heat up and build pressure, at which point the pressure is released via the natural method, or you can use the quick-release method. .
You May Like: How Long Do You Cook Chicken Breast In Instant Pot
The Very Best Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Instant Pot plus chicken equals the simplest, no-brainer kind of weeknight meal. Quick, easy and pretty healthy, these Instant Pot chicken recipes are all winners:
- Instant Pot Chicken Marinara. Instant Pot chicken marinara recipe is a 3-ingredient equation for dinner that goes something like this: chicken thighs + a jar of marinara sauce = dinners done.
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken. A rich, bold homemade teriyaki is the secret to this delicious Instant Pot chicken recipe.
- Honey-Balsamic Instant Pot Chicken. Chicken legs cook to tender perfection in a simple honey balsamic sauce, and the whole thing is ready in just 30 minutes!
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken. Were big fans of Indian butter chickenthat tender, tomato-y takeout favoriteand this Instant Pot version really delivers!
- Instant Pot Chicken. Say hello to the best Instant Pot chicken recipe ever! Whenever a recipe calls for perfectly juicy chicken, this is your go-to recipe!
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
While this tutorial focuses on cooking fresh chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, you can easily achieve the same results with frozen chicken breasts using this technique. Just make sure to add 5 additional minutes of cooking time when using frozen chicken breasts. And be sure the breasts are separated before cooking. For more details, learn step-by-step how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
Read Also: How Long Is Natural Release On Instant Pot
Pressure Cook Spare Ribs
Optional:;add 2 3 drops of liquid smoke to the Instant Pot.
Place 1 cup of cold water and a steamer rack in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Place the marinated spare ribs on the rack.
Close lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 20 minutes to 25 minutes + 15 minutes Natural Release
After releasing pressure naturally for 15 minutes, carefully turn the Venting Knob to Venting Position to release the remaining pressure.
Once the Floating Valve drops, open the lid carefully.
*Note: We pressure cooked these spare ribs at High Pressure for 25 minutes + 15 minutes Natural Release, so they were falling off the bone!
How To Make Steak In Instant Pot
Like i already said, making steak in instant pot pressure cooker is easy, simple and quick. You can also make sides like potatoes and gravy in the instant pot at the same time. Below is how to make steak in pressure cooker and how to make gravy at the same time.
1) Mix garlic and butter then set aside.
2) Pat steak dry with kitchen towel, rub with salt, oregano and black pepper.
3) Set instant pot to saute function then add half of the butter/garlic mix in the inner pot of the instant pot.
4) Add in steak and sear the side for 2 minutes without moving it then turn and sear the other side for another 2 minutes before transferring to a plate.
If you want steak rare, sear for 3 minutes on each side, leave to rest before serving. For medium, and welldone move to step 5.
5) Add 1 cup beef broth in the inner pot of the instant pot, add chopped onions and garlic. Scrape inner pot to deglaze.
6) Place trivet in the inner pot of the instant pot and put seared steak on trivet.
7) Cover instant pot with it’s lid and put vent in sealing position. Set instant pot to pressure cook high for 4 minutes and do a 5 minutes natural release.
8) Once instant pot is depresurised, open and take out steak.
9) Immediately add the remaining garlic/butter mix on top. Leave to rest for 5 minutes then enjoy with sides of choice.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Chicken Breast In An Instant Pot
Why I Love The Instant Pot For Making Brisket
Dont get me wrong, cooking brisket in the Instant Pot, is sure to offend some. Most likely, die hard Texans who are likely devoted to their smokers.
And if thats your thing, heres a great smoked beef brisket recipe to check out.
I get it and Im not saying Instant Pot brisket is better than smoked brisket.
Its not, but its also much quicker and;just as delicious. In a different way of course.
The Instant Pot is great for cooking brisket because:
- It reduces a process that normally takes all day or at least multiple hours down to an hour and half cooking time.
- Its not necessary to brown or sear the meat beforehand.
- And my favorite, the meat and the sauce cook together at the same time.
So, no, its not smoked BBQ Texas brisket but its a lovely middle ground of braised, savory meat with a hint of BBQ.
Looking to make brisket in the slow cooker instead? I love Kristas beer braised slow cooker brisket recipe, so check that one out!
A Quick Recap Of Key Cooking Stages
As we discussed in this post, there are three key phases to cooking in the Instant Pot. Once you add all ingredients and liquids, secure and lock the lid and choose your setting and time, the following things happen:
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pork Shoulder In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken With Quinoa Pistachios And Apricots
This is going to be your new go-to healthy weeknight dinner. Full of protein and fiber, this dish is light, yet satisfying. The heat of the chile and ginger balance out the sweetness of the apricot, and the pistachios provide a pleasant crunch.
Get the Recipe: Instant Pot Chicken with Quinoa, Pistachios and Apricots
How To Store Leftover Cooked Brisket
Place any leftovers in an air-tight container and make sure to spoon any remaining sauce over top of the meat to keep it moist.
The brisket can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week or two stored like this.
If you prefer to freeze the leftovers, keep brisket and sauce separate.
Wrap the brisket in plastic wrap or place in a plastic sealable bag and then place in an air-tight container to prevent freezer burn.
The sauce can be stored in a separate air-tight container in the freezer. Thaw both in the refrigerator before reheating.
Don’t Miss: Can You Sterilize Baby Bottles In Instant Pot
How To Pressure Cook Frozen Ground Beef
- Pour cold tap water into the bottom of the inner pot. Use 1 cup for a 3 or 6 quart instant pot and 1.5 cups for an 8-quart model. Then place in a metal trivet or rack inside the inner pot.
- Place the frozen ground beef on your trivet, and seal the instant pot closed with vent closed.;Be sure all plastic, styrofoam, or any other packaging is completely removed from the frozen meat. If not, run undercold water until you can remove the packaging.
- Place the lid on the inner pot and seal. Set to high pressure and cook for 20 minutes for a 1-inch thick slab of frozen meat.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Check the temperature with a meat thermometer–it should be at least 160 degrees. If it is not, seal again and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. *See my notes at end of the post to troubleshoot why your meat would need longer to cook.;
- Carefully remove the meat from the instant pot and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Discard the cooking liquid and fat that drained off beef.
- Use a spatula to break up the ground meat and use just as you would for any recipe calling for browned or cooked ground beef.
Simple Instant Pot Venison
If youre a regular game meat eater, you know how tough the meat can be. Its always a challenge to get roasts and steaks tender and juicy since the meat doesnt have all the fat were used to in beef and pork. Thats why I prefer to pressure cook venison, elk, and antelope meat; it ends up tender and breaks apart easily with a fork.
This method is so simple, you really dont need a recipe. All you need is the meat, your pressure cooker, and beef broth .
- First, put your meat in the pot. Here I did two bundles at once and put them in mostly frozen .
- Next, youll need to add some kind of liquid. I like to use beef broth, as it adds a really nice flavor to the meat, but you can use chicken broth, vegetable stock, or even just water and some of your favorite seasonings. It really doesnt matter, as long as you have liquid in the pot. The liquid is important! Add enough to cover the meat about halfway.
- After adding the liquid, lock the lid in place and make sure the steam release valve is set to Sealing. Set the pot on Manual, High Pressure, and set the timer to 120 minutes. After a few seconds, the pot will start the cooking process and you dont have to do anything else till its done.
Straight out of the pot, the meat is delicious and ready to eat. You can enjoy it right away, or if you cook it in bigger batches like I do, you can store it in the fridge or freezer to use in different meals over several days.
Recommended Reading: How To Use Instant Pot As Crock Pot
Whats The Difference Between Brisket And Corned Beef
This is a good question because it can get a little confusing since corned beef is technically beef brisket!
Beef brisket like this one used here is fresh, uncured meat.
Corned beef, however, has been cured, brined and oftentimes pre-spiced or at minimum, the pickling spices are provided to you with the meat when you purchase it from the store.
Instant Pot Rice Setting
This button is made for cooking medium and long-grain white rice. The Rice setting uses low pressure and a 10-minute natural release is recommended for perfect results, however, we found that 2-3 minutes natural release followed by quick release is sufficient. Below is how to use the Rice setting on Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, it will say OFF to indicate the Stand-By mode. Add rice, water or stock and seasoning if you wish. Secure and lock the lid. Press the Rice button. The default setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at Low pressure for 12; minutes, which is suitable for slightly larger rice kernels. If you press the button again, you can adjust the mode from Normal to Less or More .;;
- Less mode 8 minutes at Low pressure tender but firm to bite texture; great for thinner white rice such as Basmati and Jasmine rice.;
- Normal mode 12 minutes at Low pressure for normal texture white rice; great for regular medium to long-grain white rice and for more al dente Arborio risotto rice.
- More mode 15 minutes at Low pressure for softer texture white rice; great for slightly softer risotto.;
If desired, use the / + buttons to further customize the time. The cooking time may be adjusted at any time during pressure cooking.;
RICE COOKING TIPS
1 cup of dry white rice usually yields 3 cups of cooked rice.
The perfect grain to water ratio is 1 cup white rice to 1.25 cups liquid; if cooking risotto rice, the ratio is 1 cup Arborio rice to 2 cups liquid .
Don’t Miss: How To Make Shredded Pork In Instant Pot