Is Greek Yogurt Good For You
Yes!! Real fermented yogurt, kefir, and some cheeses can absolutely be part of a healthy, plant-based diet. The key is to watch out for ultra-processed and sugar-loaded products. Also, if you choose to consume fermented dairy, just be sure it is in tandem with a lot of fresh and fermented plant foods that are rich in fiber. Since cheese, yogurt, and kefir are cultured and fermented by beneficial microbes before you consume it, the effects are not the same as consuming plain dairy milk. Plus, these types of fermented foods can provide a species-rich dose of probiotics for gut health! I highly suggest shopping at your local farmers market for fermented dairy products or even milk to make your own because the animals on small local farms are healthier, the milk products will be healthier. You can read more about my thoughts on dairy products and gut health here.
Are There Other Ways To Keep The Yogurt Warm During Fermentation
Some other options to try: on top of the fridge , under the light in an oven , using the warm setting on a slow cooker , in a cooler filled with boiling water . Also, there are specific yogurt maker machinesbut if youre going to buy something to make yogurt, Id recommend you buy an Instant Pot. It does the yogurt-making thing and way more!
What I Love About This Recipe:
- Inexpensive: For the quantity of yogurt this recipe makes youd spend around $15 dollars at the store. The ingredients here cost closer to $5!
- Easy, and healthier than store-bought. I love knowing exactly what is going in our food. This yogurt is creamy and delicious!
This recipe is nearly fool-proof! It requires, patience , but is almost entirely hands-off!
One thing that separates an instant pot from a regular pressure cooker is its unique functions like the yogurt button, which allows you to make homemade yogurt in it! The instant pot provides a safe method to incubate yogurtkeep it at a constant warm temperature in the target zone of 110 and 115 degrees F allowing the bacteria in it to multiply properly and thicken to create smooth, creamy yogurt.
Also Check: How Long Do I Steam Frozen Tamales
Make Frozen Greek Yogurt
Once I had the yogurt I loved, then what else could I do with it? I love fruit in my yogurt, so I whipped up some fruit purees and started adding. Im now experimenting with some no-bake cakes and a few other things.
I decided a great way to use some of my yogurt to make these yogurt pops. And here is the thing, remember, they are frozen. You dont take an ice cube out of the freezer and bite it in half, do you? Take these out of the freezer and let them soften a few minutes before trying to eat. The key is to keep them thin and not make huge pops. The image you see of the pops is a half-filled baking cup. These are on the verge of too thick.
I also learned that the Wilton Silicone Baking Cups are so much better to work with than paper cupcake liners. The paper liners were hard to get off the frozen pop. Once they thawed enough to remove all the paper, then I could just put them in a bowl and eat with a spoon. I made granola for my yogurt pops, but any granola you love will work for this recipe.
About This Method For Making Yogurt
After making yogurt dozens of times without the Instant Pot, we switched to this method and found it to be very reliable. The instant pot helps keep the yogurt at the right temperature, and it helps you accomplish all of the steps in just one container. We had to experiment a few times to get our Instant Pot yogurt recipe right. Ive finally landed on what I think is the best combination of steps for a pleasing result every time.
Heres the thing the directions in our Instant Pot manual did not get us the results we wanted.
While those directions are a good starting point they dont exactly get you there in a foolproof way. First, they dont really tell you how long its going to take. Second they give two options but dont tell you which is better. Third, they leave out a couple of steps that, in my opinion, get you closer to that nice thick consistency were all looking for.
Warning: my choice method is the longer method, but most of the time is passive, so dont give up yet. I thought I would like making yogurt right in the bowl of the Instant Pot be cause the process can be faster, but every time I tried that it turned out kind of cottage cheesy instead of nice and creamy thick. So we make our yogurt in a mason jar placed inside the Instant Pot.
How Do I Cool And Store Instant Pot Yogurt
After the long cook is done, youll want to chill your yogurt before moving it to long-term storage. Three to four hours is the minimum, but an overnight chill is ideal. Keep in mind that your yogurt will thicken a bit more as it cools.
Transfer the yogurt to individual containers for easy eating, or to an airtight container for long-term storage. Instant Pot Yogurt lasts about two weeks in the fridge.
Oh, and be sure to save a bit of your Instant Pot Yogurt for the next time you want to make yogurt. You can use it in place of the starter yogurt.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Homemade Yogurt
You only need two ingredients:
Some recipes call for adding nonfat dry milk to the regular milk before adding the starter. I used to do this, but Ive not found it to make a difference in the final product, so now I dont bother.
You can technically make an entire gallon at a time in the Instant Pot, but for your first few attempts, its good to keep it manageable, minimizing any failures. Also, even in your trusty Instant Pot, the larger the volume of milk, the harder it is to keep the incubation temperature steady.
- Can you use raw milk? You can use raw milk, but because it has its own microbial life already happening, your results might be inconsistent .
- Can you use non-dairy yogurt? Yes, but the process isnt quite the same. Heres a rundown on using soy milk, and one on coconut milk. People report having the most success with those.
- What about goat or sheeps milk? Those will work just as well as cows milk, though the texture and flavor won’t quite the same as cows milk yogurt. Goat milk yogurt is tangy and goaty, with a looser body sheeps milk is rich and intense.
Recommended Reading: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
How Do You Make Yogurt On The Stovetop
No Instant Pot? No problem. I made homemade yogurt on my stovetop for years before I swtiched to the Instant Pot. It works perfectly well! Heres how to do it:
How Can I Proof My Instant Pot Without Yogurt Button
If your Instant Pot does not have a Yogurt setting, you can try turning on the Keep Warm setting for just a couple of minutes to warm up the pot, then turning it off. Add the ball of dough and close the lid, allowing the residual heat to rise the dough.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Ham In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Greek Yogurt
The yogurt you make at home might be a bit runnier and smoother than store-bought and the reason is that homemade yogurt does not contain any kind of stabilizer such as pectin. Now if you’d like your homemade instant pot yogurt to have the same texture as Greek yogurt, here is how to do it:
- Place a strainer on top of a bowl.
- Line the strainer with two layers of cheesecloth.
- Pour the yogurt into the strainer and let the whey drip out for at least one hour. If you like a denser yogurt, you can leave the yogurt and strainer with the bowl in the fridge for the whey to drip for up to 8 hours.
- Once the yogurt has reached your desired consistency, whisk it and store it. This yogurt is going to be smooth and quite dense.
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe / View Recipe Videos
How to cook delicious instant pot yogurt recipe, Smoothies are refreshing, tasty and highly customizable, allowing you to make options that are just as nutritious as they are delicious. Adding yogurt to your favorite smoothies provides extra protein, calcium and other important nutrients. Instant pot oatmeal is not only great for busy weekday mornings when you want a hearty, effort.
6 Amazing Greek Yogurt Flavors – CurryTrail from www.currytrail.in
You’ll never buy yogurt again! Did you know you could whip up cheesecake, frittatas and even cough. Whip out your instant pot, and follow these easy recipes so you can eat well any night of the week. If this trendy cooker found its way to your kitchen, these recipes are perfect for getting you started on becoming a devotee. One writer weighs the pros and cons of making her own yogurt in an instant pot versus just buying it at the store. Unsalted butter, whole milk, he. Instant pot oatmeal is not only great for busy weekday mornings when you want a hearty, effort. Country living editors select each product featured.
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
What Kind Of Yogurt To Add To The Milk When Making Yogurt
Make sure the yogurt has actual live cultures in it, not stabilizers and other weird ingredients. You can use store-bought yogurt . There are also cultures that you can buy and once youve made your own yogurt, you can use that to make yogurt and have a never ending supply.
When I make yogurt using the ultra filtered milk, I use one jar of Vanilla Oui yogurt.
What Kind Of Jars Should I Use
So, can you use Mason Jars in an Instant Pot? Yes, they are by far the best choice when you want to make Instant Pot yogurt in jars. They fit in there perfectly and they come with lids.
If you want to use smaller jars, you can. But, you will need to divide the recipe in half. There is only room for 4 jars in your IP. You should not stack them on top of each other.
Plus, they are inexpensive and most people have some laying around the house somewhere already. Using the pot in pot method to make homemade yogurt is by far the simplest method to use.
Read Also: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
How Do You Make Yogurt
Were going to show you the exact method for making yogurt in both your Instant Pot and on your stovetop, but the gist of the method is the same:
How To Flavor Homemade Yogurt
First off, dont flavor yogurt until after its finished and chilled. Otherwise you risk messing with it setting right.
Personally, I prefer not to flavor my yogurt until before I eat or portion it. That way Im not locked into anything, and I can use the plain yogurt in recipes.
Try some of these mix-ins!
My favorite way to flavor yogurt is to serve it with a slice of blackberry pie for breakfast. To each her own!
Also Check: How To Clean Lid Of Instant Pot
A Few Tips For Making Yogurt At Home
- I use 1 tablespoon prepared yogurt for every quart of milk. Therefore for ½ gallon of milk, I whisk in 2 tablespoons of already prepared yogurt into my milk.
- You can cut this recipe in half if you would like. If you have an 8-quart pressure cooker, you can also double this recipe for homemade yogurt.
- Do NOT try to make homemade yogurt with flavored yogurt as your starter. You need to either use a yogurt starter or plain yogurt with active live cultures. How do you know if you store-bought yogurt has live cultures? The label on the yogurt will say Lactobacillus bulgaricus or Streptococcus thermophilus.
- A huge tip for making yogurt in the future is to FREEZE your starter immediately after fresh yogurt is made. I recommend using an ice cube tray. Each ice cube holds 1 tablespoon of yogurt so you will know exactly how much yogurt to defrost when making a new yogurt batch. Just be sure to thaw your yogurt cubes in the fridge to not alter the cultures in the yogurt.
- If you would like tangier yogurt, set an incubation period to 10 hours instead of 8 hours.
- If you need more tips on how to use your instant pot or are confused about some of the functions or pieces I mentioned, check out my Instant Pot 101.
Let The Milk Cool + Add Your Culture
Once you remove your instant pot and sit it on the counter, wait for the temp to cool to 115 use a thermometer for this. It took my milk just over 90 minutes I sped up the process by stirring it frequently too. Make sure your thermometer is sanitized and just wait patiently.
Once the yogurt reaches 115, you will need to add 1/2 C of your yogurt starter culture mix it in well. If you dont have any of your own yogurt from a previous batch, then I would suggest a plain, full fat organic yogurt variety .
Recommended Reading: Cooking Frozen Meatballs In Instant Pot
How Do You Make Yogurt In An Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is without a doubt the simplest way to make yogurt. Heres how you do it:
Why Make Yogurt At Home
First, lets talk about why youd want to make your own yogurt at home. Here are my top reasons, in no particular order:
- It tastes amazing. I know, you think yogurt is yogurt is yogurt but until you make it at home you might not realize how good it can really taste when its made fresh.
- It saves on waste. If you eat as much yogurt as we do you might find yourself with a towering stack of quart-sized yogurt containers. While yogurt containers can be re-used or recycled, it still feels wasteful to use this many. Make your own yogurt in mason jars and those days are over!
- It saves money. One quart of yogurt = one quart of milk plus some starter, which can either be the yogurt you made last or a packet of starter. Depending on the milk you buy this means you can cut the cost of yogurt consumption about in half. Plus, if you buy your milk in glass jars youve basically just eliminated the waste associated with your yogurt habit.
- Its easy. I promise. Read on to learn more.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot