How Long To Cook Them
How long you pressure cook the sweet potatoes really depends on a few things. The first thing is the size and shape of the potato. Pressure cooking them is basically steaming under pressure. How long they take to cook through will depend on the thickest part of the potato.
For an average size sweet potato, this is about 25 minutes. Decrease the time for smaller potatoes or increase it for larger potatoes.
Next is how soft you like your sweet potatoes. As with cooking anything in the Instant Pot , you will quickly figure out if you prefer a little more or less time. Try the recommend method first, then adjust the timing if you prefer softer or firmer sweet potatoes.
This post includes some affiliate links for your;convenience. You can read my full disclosure statement;here.
Tips To Make The Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Tip 1. The cooking time may vary a bit depending on the size of your sweet potato.;;I tend to use smaller sweet potatoes. Medium to larger sweet potatoes can take anything from 15-18 mins to cook. Try 12 mins the first time you cook some and see their doneness. And adapt the cooking time on the next go.
Tip 2. If using bigger sweet potatoes, I suggest you halve them lengthwise before steaming as this will cut down on the cooking time because sometimes you dont want to have to wait for 18 mins.
Tip 3. Do let the pressure come down naturally as that extra time cooks the potatoes perfectly
Tip 4. Do make sure to scrub the sweet potatoes clean as you dont want to be tucking into gritty potatoes.
Tip 5.;To reduce the time it takes for your Instant Pot sweet potatoes to get to pressure, preheat the liquid first in the inner pot using the;sauté setting on high.;Do this before you place the lid on the Instant Pot and before you select the manual setting.
Pressure Cook Sweet Potatoes In Instant Pot
Place 1 cup of cold water and a steamer rack in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Place whole sweet potatoes in Instant Pot on the steamer rack, and close the lid.
Pressure cook the sweet potatoes at
Pressure Cooking Method :;
High Pressure for;
- Preference: Fully cooked with some chew Fully tender
- 6 inches: 15 20 mins
- 8 inches: 25 30 mins
- 10 inches: 35 40 mins
- 12 inches: 45 50 mins
Pressure Release Method:;Natural Release
Open the lid carefully.
*Pro Tip:;Use this timing as a reference, please adjust accordingly to your texture preference and altitude.
Don’t Miss: Which Instant Pot To Get
Pressure Cook On High For 20 Minutes
You can find the full recipe card below to print/pin for your future reference, but I wanted to share tips/photos along the way in case you like to follow along closely like I do when browsing recipes online!
Add 1 cup of water to the inside of the stainless steel pot of your Instant Pot .
Steamer Basket: If youre using a steamer basket, place the 4 washed potatoes inside of the basket and lower into the Instant Pot.
Trivet: If using a trivet, place it in the bottom of the Instant Pot and place the washed potatoes on top of the trivet.
Place and secure the lid on to the pressure cooker, adjust the steam release handle to sealing and select to pressure on high and set the timer to cook for 20 minutes.
Tips For Making Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Make sure you fully wash your potatoes to get any residual dirt off of them before placing them into the instant pot.
- Its important to remember to put water in the bottom of the pot. This is to steam the potatoes and prevent any scorching. But make sure theres not too much, we dont want the potatoes touching the water and getting soggy.
- You can also use this recipe to make baked instant pot russet potatoes! Just decrease the time by 5 minutes for russet potatoes.
- Serve your sweet potatoes with a sprinkle of cinnamon and butter. Or cut the potatoes open and add mini marshmallows on top while theyre still warm and let them melt.
- The sweet potatoes will be really hot when you remove the lid, I recommend using an oven mitt and a solid set of tongs to lift them out to cool.
- Increase the time by 3 minutes if you have really big sweet potatoes, or decrease by 3 minutes if your potatoes are on the smaller side.
- If youre going to make sweet potato puree, I recommend adding the inside of the potatoes to the food processor . Add a few tablespoons of water if you have to. This will break up any strings that naturally occur in the potatoes, so your pies will be creamier.
- Add as many or as little potatoes as you want to the pot, with the same cooking time. The key factor is the actual size of the potato, not how many potatoes youre cooking.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Hamburger Meat In The Instant Pot
Do Sweet Potatoes And Regular Potatoes Cook The Same
Sweet potatoes cook very differently from regular baked potatoes, and I would not recommend substituting one for the other.
Sweet potatoes are more fibrous and typically contain quite a bit more moisture, which considerably lengthens their cooking time. They are much softer and far creamier with a higher sugar content than that of a regular potato.
On the other hand, regular potatoes have a much drier, starchier flesh, which is why they’re almost exclusively reserved for use in savory dishes.
How To Store Sweet Potatoes
- Dont Refrigerate: sweet potatoes dont keep well in the fridge.
- Cool & Dark Place: store in the pantry in a cool, dark place
- Well Ventilated: Try to store in a loosely covered bag or basket to allow air circulation
- Storage Duration :
- Raw Sweet Potatoes: last for about 3 5 weeks
- Cooked Sweet Potatoes: last for 7 days in the fridge in a tightly closed container
Read Also: How Long Do You Cook Pork In The Instant Pot
Equipment You Will Need
- Instant Pot or Similar Electric Pressure Cooker or Multicooker. This is the Instant Pot I own and loveits a basic 6-quart model. You can use this method for any size Instant Pot . Simply ensure you adjust the number of sweet potatoes and amount of water accordingly.
- Trivet. To keep the sweet potatoes from burning on the bottom, you will need to insert the handled trivet that came with it, which also functions as a steamer basket. If you cannot find your trivet, Id suggest finding an inexpensive replacement, such as this one.
Is It Better To Boil Or Steam Sweet Potatoes
While boiling sweet potatoes may actually retain more nutrients, it’s best to cook sweet potatoes however works best and most efficiently for you.
I actually prefer to steam my sweet potatoes. Boiled sweet potatoes can typically gain a soggy texture that I just don’t care for.
Instead I prefer a rich and creamy, melt-in-your-mouth sweet potato, and steaming is the way to go for that. It’s quicker, it’s easier, and the result is far superior in both flavor and texture.
You May Like: How Is Instant Pot Different From Crock Pot
How Do You Make Sweet Potatoes In The Instant Pot
Instant pot sweet potatoes are the EASIEST way to make baked sweet potatoes, in my opinion. All you have to do is place your steamer rack into the instant pot, place the potatoes on top, and pour in about a cup of water. Then you set the instant pot on high for 20 minutes, natural release, and thats it! Your instant pot sweet potatoes are done!
Allow Time For Natural Release
There are two ways to open an Instant Pot after cooking natural and manual.
Natural release means the pot depressurizes all on its own, which takes time. Manual release means you flip that valve on top from Sealing >Venting, and all the steam pours out the top until its depressurized enough to open.
Give your Instant Pot sweet potatoes about 10 minutes or so to naturally release. If you pop open the pot right when its done; its unlikely the potatoes will be cooked through.
You can leave them for much longer than 10 minutes as well. Ive cooked mine and left the house for a couple of hours and come back and eaten them hot when I returned.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Chicken Breast In An Instant Pot
How To Set Up Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
First things first not all sweet potatoes are grown equally.
Ideally, you want to make sure all the potatoes youre cooking are roughly the same size. Sometimes I get lazy and just throw them all in, which is fine they still cook.
Just know they will cook at different rates. Youll want to choose your time based on the largest sweet potatoes in the batch, because no one likes undercooked sweet potatoes.
Youll want to keep the rack in the pot. This keeps the potatoes from sitting in the liquid. You want them to steam, but not turn into a mushy mess of watery mashed potatoes. So make sure you keep the rack in there, and arrange the potatoes on it.
You can stack potatoes if they wont fit in a single layer. Youll need to increase cooking time depending on how many layers/potatoes you have, but other than that, everything else remains the same.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Potatoes
Only 3 simple ingredients are needed here! This recipe is the perfect easy foundation. From there, you are free to add whatever toppings you like! Check out my tips below for delicious flavor combinations.
- Potatoes: I like to use russet potatoes in this recipe. They have a high starch content which makes them light and fluffy when baked. Yukon gold potatoes are also a great substitute.
- Water: Adding water to your instant pot is going to help them steam to perfection.
- Sea Salt: I love the texure of sea salt and the way it enhances a baked potatos overall flavor. I sprinkle this on top after the baked potatoes are done cooking.
- Olive Oil Spray: Using olive oil spray is an optional step, but if you want your potatoes a little crispier, this is perfect for achieving that.
Also Check: Must Have Instant Pot Accessories
How To Serve Them
The possibilities are endless for serving these sweet potatoes—from a simple side dish with butter, ghee, or just fresh extra virgin olive oil to the base for a full meal.
Try topping them with taco meat or pulled pork.
Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, you can store them in the fridge for meals later in the week or use them in recipes like this family favorite sweet potato casserole.
How To Make This Recipe
Start by placing a trivet in your Instant Pot. Add 2 cups of water to the steel pot. In a steamer basket, add the cubed and peeled sweet potatoes.
Close the lid of the Instant Pot and Pressure Cook on High for 10 minutes. After the cooking cycle is complete and the Instant Pot starts to beep, manually release pressure .
Open the lid of the Instant Pot and take out the steamer basket . Drain the water in the pot and add the steamed potatoes to the pot, along with the butter and other seasonings. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth.
Serve with a garnish of fresh chopped parsley and a knob of butter.
Also Check: How To Cook Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot
How To Make Steamed Sweet Potato In The Instant Pot
The best thing about this Steamed Sweet Potato recipe is that you need only 2 ingredients. No lie peeps. 2 Ingredients aka, sweet potato and water.
What Size Instant Pot Should I Buy
If you cooking for one or two, the 3-quart Instant Pot is the perfect size. It’s ideal for individuals who cook only for themselves, college students, or for empty nesters.
With most of the features of the larger versions, this smaller option is perfect for small kitchens or to use in an RV.
If you are cooking for one but still do a lot of meal prep and batch cooking, you might want to go with the 6-quart.
Don’t Miss: What Is Instant Pot Natural Release
Key Tips For Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
The process of baking sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker is SUPER simple, but there are a few key tips to keep in mind!
- Select sweet potatoes that are similar in size. This way they will pressure cook in the same amount of time.
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times before cooking–this will prevent the rare occurrence of a sweet potato bursting in the Instant Pot.
- Always add cold water to the inner pot. You will need 1 cup of cold water for a 3 or 6-quart Instant pot and 1.5 cups of cold water for an 8-quart Instant pot. NEVER use warm water as this will change the amount of time it takes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, which will change the cooking time!
- Always use the trivet to keep the sweet potatoes from sitting in the water–this will keep the sweet potatoes from becoming soggy.
What To Serve With Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes are perfect for stuffing with BBQ chicken, pulled pork, black beans and cheese, or even chili.
I love to enjoy them plain, with just butter and a pinch of salt. You might like to serve a sweet potato with any of these single serving recipes:
For this easy Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes recipe, I use an;Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-quart. For best results, use an Instant Pot of similar size.
If you would like additional information on the dishes I use in our recipes for one, please visit our;FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our;Store page.
You May Like: How To Cook Eggs In The Instant Pot
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Learn how to make the perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes every time! Silky, smooth and ready in a a fraction of the time to roast them. Quick and easy pressure cooker recipe. Use them as a perfect side or meal prep them for a casserole or mashed potatoes. You won’t be disappointed at all.
Scaling The Recipe Up Or Down
You can follow this recipe for any size of Instant Pot.
The number of;sweet;potatoes;you can cook in your Instant Pot at once will vary based on the size of your;sweet;potatoes;and the size of the;Instant;Pot;model you own.
- I estimate 3 sweet potatoes will fit in the 3-quart and up to 8 could fit in the 8-quart, though Ive only tested this recipe in my 6-quart .
- I advise placing no more than 2 layers of sweet potatoes into the pot to ensure they cook evenly.
- The pressure cook time you set will stay the same regardless of how many;sweet;potatoes;you cook.
- I havent tested this recipe with only one;sweet;potato, but I see no reason why that wouldnt work .
This recipe can also be cut in half for any size Instant Pot. No adjustments to the recipe are needed.
Don’t Miss: How To Boil Milk In Instant Pot
What’s The Differnece Between A Sweet Potato And A Yam
I used to think that a yam was the orange potato and the sweet potato was the white one sitting near by. ;But guess what, those are both sweet potatoes and the chance that you’ve ever actually eaten a real yam is unlikely. ;You’ve probably never even seen a real yam in your regular grocery store.
So long story short, what you have been buying and cooking all these years is called a sweet potato. ;The white version cooks up more firm and waxy. ;The orange version cooks up creamy and fluffy.
To make things a bit more confusing, when you go to a grocery store and see a sign that says sweet potato it will likely be the white sweet potato. ;If you see a sign that says yams, it will be the orange. ;But don’t quote me on that, because I saw the reverse just the other day.
So basically you’ve never eaten a true yam and if you want a creamy and fluffy sweet potato, go for the one with the orange flesh.
For more details on this fascinating subject, see this post by The Kitchn.
Stay tuned for my favorite sweet potato toppings ideas! ;I’ll take you from sweet to savory and from breakfast to dinner!
Instant Pot Steamed Sweet Potatoes And Puree Recipe
Posted on Published:
By: Author Diane
AFFILIATE NOTIFICATION:As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases through our affiliate link. For more information read our Entire Affiliate Disclosure.
Instant Pot Steamed Sweet Potatoes cook evenly and thoroughly in short order. Cooking any vegetable under pressure with an instant pot is a quick, easy and nutritious cooking method. Learn how to make Instant Pot Steamed Sweet Potato puree in this video. This process Also works for ALL squash that are seeded and chopped into 3 inch or smaller chunks. I use this process to make my Instant Pot Butternut Pumpkin Soup.
Pureed Sweet Potatoes are tasty!
This Naturally sweet, no fat, high fiber root vegetable adds an incredible wealth of nutrients and flavor options to your family diet. Sweet potatoes are loaded with antioxidants, beta carotenes, and much more.
If you are a homemade food junkie like me theinstant pot opens new and better possibilities in the kitchen. Making puree with your instant pot is simple to do and store for later.
Wanna invite sweet potatoes to your breakfast menu? Try our Chocolate Chunk Sweet Potato Granola. Kids love it and this granola will fill them with delicious nutrients not a lot of unnecessary sugar.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Potatoes In An Instant Pot