How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt:
Before starting clean your instant pot really well with soap and water, or steralize it by adding 2 cups of cold water, closing the lid and sealing the vent, and setting it to high pressure for 3 minutes, with a natural release.
1. Heat milk to 180-200 degrees. Add milk to the instant pot and place the lid on it . Press the yogurt button and then press adjust until the screen says BOIL.
When the Instant Pot beeps, the milk is hot and ready. Remove the lid and check the temperature with a thermometer to make sure it has reached 180-200 degreed F.
2. Allow milk to cool to down to 110°F -115°F degrees F. This will take 1-2 hours if left alone, or speed up the process by placing the pot into a bowl of ice water for about 10-15 minutes. Check often with a thermometer. Spoon off any milk skin that has formed on top.
3. Add Yogurt Starter. Remove a ladleful of the warm milk into a bowl and whisk the yogurt starter into it. Then pour the mixture into the pot and whisk to combine.
4. Set Yogurt Timer: Place the inner pot back in the instant pot and secure the lid . Press the Yogurt button and adjust until it reads 8:00 to 12:00 hours .
When the time is up, check the yogurt. You will know its ready when it has thickened and jiggles only very slightly, like jello.
Store in containers in the fridge and enjoy within 10 days.
What Kind Of Milk Should I Use
The milk mixture you use is important. Whole milk will produce a thicker and creamier yogurt and is preferred. Skim milk just doesnt have the fat content that whole milk does and will need additional ingredients. Ive only made yogurt with this kind of dairy, so I cant give details on anything else.
Make Homemade Yogurt & Lead A Healthy Lifestyle
If you buy yogurt from the store, do check out at the back to of the carton to see the ingredients and the additives to oh so thick and creamy yogurt. You will notice that there are added sugars, flavor enhancers, thickening agents, preservatives and more that you definitely dont need in your regular diet.
You know what? You can easily make delicious, fresh yogurt at home with two simple ingredientsmilk and a starter culture. It always seems more convenient to grab a pack of yogurt from the supermarket, but there is nothing like fresh, homemade Yogurt. You can tell the difference in taste and it is very easy to make and master at home. If you like sweet, thick and creamy, follow these simple tricks and tips and youll never be disappointed. Once you taste the homemade yogurt, there is no going back!
Lets accept it when you can make perfect store-bought style thick and creamy yogurt at home with no additives then why buy? Make yogurt at home and lead a healthier lifestyle!!
Read Also: How Long To Pressure Cook Whole Beets
Easy Instant Pot Yogurt With Flavor Variations
This easy Instant Pot yogurt will be the best yogurt you will ever taste. Once you start making your own homemade yogurt you wont want to buy the store-bought stuff anymore! Its easy to make too!
The first time I made Instant Pot yogurt my mind was absolutely blown! It was so easy and so delicious. My family prefers this version of homemade yogurt to the store bought stuff. Its so much healthier than all of those flavored yogurts with preservatives and tons of sugar.
Get Off To A Good Start
A starter culture is the seed you plant in the milk that will grow the bacteria you want to transform it into the final product. There are different mixtures of these bacteria used in commercial yogurt-making, which also gives the yogurt different flavors. Choose a store-bought yogurt that you like the flavor of and start with that, being sure it says on the label it has active cultures. Plain yogurt works best, but a little flavored yogurt works, too. Once you get going, you can save a little from your last batch to seed the next one.
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
A Few Tips For Making Yogurt At Home
- I use 1 tablespoon prepared yogurt for every quart of milk. Therefore for ½ gallon of milk, I whisk in 2 tablespoons of already prepared yogurt into my milk.
- You can cut this recipe in half if you would like. If you have an 8-quart pressure cooker, you can also double this recipe for homemade yogurt.
- Do NOT try to make homemade yogurt with flavored yogurt as your starter. You need to either use a yogurt starter or plain yogurt with active live cultures. How do you know if you store-bought yogurt has live cultures? The label on the yogurt will say Lactobacillus bulgaricus or Streptococcus thermophilus.
- A huge tip for making yogurt in the future is to FREEZE your starter immediately after fresh yogurt is made. I recommend using an ice cube tray. Each ice cube holds 1 tablespoon of yogurt so you will know exactly how much yogurt to defrost when making a new yogurt batch. Just be sure to thaw your yogurt cubes in the fridge to not alter the cultures in the yogurt.
- If you would like tangier yogurt, set an incubation period to 10 hours instead of 8 hours.
- If you need more tips on how to use your instant pot or are confused about some of the functions or pieces I mentioned, check out my Instant Pot 101.
Five: Whisk In A Yogurt Starter
- Use either prepared yogurt or a yogurt starter and whisk into your prepared milk.
- It is important to note that if using prepared yogurt you need to be sure it is plain yogurt with live and active cultures.
- If your starter is sweetened or does not have live cultures, making yogurt at home will NOT work!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Yogurt In Instant Pot Without Yogurt Button
How Much Time Does It Take To Make Homemade Yogurt
For the yogurt to incubate and set, it can take anywhere from 4 to 12 hours. Since theres so much variability the first time you do it, I recommend starting your initial batch in the morning on a day when youll be around the house most of the time. Once you have a good routine going, you can leave the house while your yogurt incubates or make it overnight.
This variability is because there are so many factors are at work with fermentation. The fresher and more active your starter is, the less time it takes . The first time you use a dry heirloom starter, it often takes longer.
From milk carton to breakfast bowl, it technically takes anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. This includes chilling your finished yogurt and then draining it, if you like. If it seems excessive, remember: this process is 99% hands-off.
Whats The Best Milk For Instant Pot Yogurt
Whole milk is my favorite for making Instant Pot yogurt. I tend to buy a half-gallon of whatever local milk is on sale, but you can also make Boil start yogurt with low-fat milk or non-dairy milk.
Lower fat milks require a thickening ingredient such as heavy cream, half-and-half, or nonfat dried milk. You can find suggested amounts for those in the recipe below.
Non-dairy milks are a little trickier. Thickness and flavor will vary depending on the non-dairy milk in question and the starter yogurt used. The tricky bit is that to make a true non-dairy yogurt, you need to find non-dairy starter yogurt with live cultures, or buy a vegan starter . So theres a little more upfront investment and some trial-and-error required. I had the most success with a blend of soy and coconut milks and a non-dairy yogurt from the grocery store, but it was thinner in texture than the whole-milk versions.
Also Check: Instant Pot Recipes Frozen Meat
How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt
- 8 cups milk, ideally whole or 2%
- 1-2 tablespoons of plain yogurt , at room temperature
- Sugar, honey or other sweetener
- Fine mesh strainer and a coffee filter or muslin cloth
- Jars or containers with lids for storing the yogurt
- Instant Pot, of course
Test Kitchen Tip: Before you begin, make sure your tools are freshly washed in hot, soapy water.
Step 1: Scald the Milk
Pour the milk into the Instant Pot, close and lock the lid and set the valve to Sealing. Select the Yogurt function and place on High/More. Though the display will read boil, this step only scalds the milk. It will take 25-30 minutes for a half-gallon, and 50 minutes for a gallon. The pot should turn off automatically at the end of the cycle. Open it and check the temperature. It should be 180º F.
Test Kitchen Tip: Scalding is an important step. Without it, the yogurt may not thicken up properly, or at all.
Step 2: Bring Down the Temperature
After heating the milk, you want to cool it off to 110º-115º F. This is an ideal temperature that will foster bacteria growth and wont be so hot it kills the culture. You can just leave the bowl to cool at room temperature, which will take about an hour. Or, use an ice bath: Fill a bowl with ice water, nest the Instant Pots inner bowl inside and whisk the milk to cool it quickly. Take the temperature every few minutes. After about five minutes, the milk should be at 110º F.
Remove the pot from the ice bath and wipe the outside dry.
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Sous Vide Yogurt Recipe
Sous Vide Yogurt RecipeGreek-style yogurt in the Instant Pot Sous Vide functionNo boil method!
Instant Pot Sous Vide Yogurt |Instant Pot 2 Ingredient Homemade yogurt | Instant Pot Homemade Greek style yogurt:
Thinking of buying Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air Fryer but are skeptical about it because it does not have a yogurt function?
Well, dont worry I have taken all the guesswork out as I found a fantastic, quick no-boil 2 ingredients fail-proof recipe to make thick Greek Style Yogurt using the Sous Vide function, each time, every time.
Believe me, this function is way better than the yogurt function which is set to only one particular temperature of 110° F. The Sous Vide function lets you control the temperature and time on the Instant pot under no pressure. It is like someone has added another Manual function that lets you change the temperature from as low as 70° F/ 21°C to as high as 200°F/ 93 °C and adjust the time from as low as 30 minutes to 99 hrs, all this under no pressure. You have no idea what that much control can do.
Keep tuning in every now and then on my site to see what all you can create with this function.
So if you are in any dilemma about buying an Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air Fryer, just because of the missing yogurt function, just rule it out as this Instant Pot series is an absolute boon with its SousVide Function and the classic Crisp lid!!
No Yogurt button on your Instant Pot is not an issue anymore.
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Make Yogurt In An Instant Pot
Weve tackled the yogurt button on the Instant Pot. And guess what? Its actually not so bad! Just two ingredients, a bit of time, and a thermometer are all youll need to make the tastiest and most economical yogurt youve ever had. Heres the skinny on how to make yogurt in an Instant Pot.
Of all the buttons on the Instant Pot, Yogurt seemed the most formidable. Unlike many of the others, it doesnt seem intuitive. So, with some research and experimentation I bring to you a step-by-step guide to making your own yogurt.
Before we get into the details, Ill just outline how the process works. You warm up milk in the Instant Pot, then cool it to a certain temperature. Next, you add a little bit of yogurt as starter, and heat again this time for about 8 hours.
Thats it! And if you want Greek yogurt, you strain it using cheese cloth for a couple hours.
I know that sounds like it takes forever, but really its hands off for all but a few small steps. And its so worth it! I love how it tastes because its not as sour as so many Ive purchased. Though, if you do like it sour you can cook it for 10 hours instead of 8 and itll get more tangy. So great to be able to customize your own yogurt!
How to make yogurt in an Instant Pot
Step 1: Heat milk to 180* F
A note on milk: I used 2%, but I have read lots of recipes and it seems you can use anything from 1% to whole and have success!
Step 2: Cool milk to 110* F
Step 3: Add starter and heat again
How To Make Yogurt In A Lux Instant Pot
Add a half gallon of milk to the pot. Select the keep warm feature. In about 30-40 minutes it will be good and warm. I like to let it warm up more gradually and I like to make yogurt while I am doing other thingslike house cleaning. Once warm, give it a good whisking and then press the saute button to heat it further until you get to 180-185 degrees. Use a thermometer to be sure.
Once it has reached full temperature remove the inner pot and allow it to cool to about 110 degrees. Once it has cooled sufficiently add two heaping tablespoons of plain yogurt and whisk. Put it back inside the instant pot, which is now turned off, seal the lid, and close the vent. Wrap the whole Instant Pot unit in a towel and allow it to sit for 8 hours or overnight. When done remove the pot, transfer to a glass storage bowl, and place in the refrigerator. Enjoy! You now have homemade yogurt!
This recipe makes super creamy yogurt. If you want thicker, greek style yogurt, simply let the yogurt strain through cheesecloth for a couple hours to remove the whey. This will leave you with a thicker yogurt.
Connect With Me
My name is Tiffany and I am the blogger behind Naturemoms. I live on an urban homestead in Ohio with my husband, three children, and assorted furry friends. When I am not blogging I am usually thrift store shopping, gardening, wildcrafting and food foraging, or otherwise enjoying nature. Enjoy! Read More
Recommended Reading: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
Is Instant Pot Yogurt Worth The Effort
- Its cheap! Generally speaking, milk is less expensive than yogurt.
- Most of the preparation time is hands-off.
- You control the ingredients and sugar content.
- You add your own flavors, from vanilla to honey to jam to spices.
- Its satisfying in a thrifty way to use your last batch of yogurt to start your next.
- Store-bought yogurt is way easier.
- If youre in a pinch, the 8-10 hour process might not be feasible.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Almond Milk Yogurt
- Almond Milk you cant make almond milk yogurt without almond milk! I prefer to use homemade almond milk as it comes out even more creamy, but store-bought will work as well.I recommend shelf-stable almond milk with no added flavors and no sweeteners.
- Plain Almond Yogurt with Live Active Cultures This is your live starter ingredient. Its what used to reproduce all the bacteria needed to actually make yogurt! It must contain live active cultures, or this recipe will not work! It must also be just plain yogurt without any added flavors.
- Arrowroot Flour and Gelatin This is your thickener. Almond milk yogurt can be thin on its own, so it needs a little help thickening up. This will get a creamy yogurt texture.
Recommended Reading: Cooking Ground Beef From Frozen
Why Isnt My Yogurt Setting
Perhaps it just needs to incubate longer. Keep incubating. Bear in mind that once you stir or jostle the milk-plus-starter, you will have to start over again with a new starter. If you dont want to re-incubate, my recommendation is to use the yogurt-milk as is, even if its not what you originally planned.
How To Make Homemade Instant Pot Yogurt
Step One: Clean your Instant Pot.
- This sounds like a no-brainer. But I am not talking about simply washing your Instant Pot–you need to sanitize your inner pot.
- You can prepare your inner pot for making yogurt by pouring boiling water in the inner pot and then discard the water.
- This step can be skipped, but it helps drastically in the flavor of your yogurt–especially if you have been making a lot of Instant Pot Chili.
Step Two: Heat your Milk in your Instant Pot.
- Pour ½ gallon milk into the inner pot of your electric pressure cooker, put the lid on the Instant Pot . Hit yogurt function and then the adjust button until it says Boil.
- When the Instant Pot beeps that it is done, remove the lid and test the temperature to be sure the milk has reached 180 degrees.
- I like to leave the inner pot in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes before removing it. This helps the yogurt thicken up a bit better.
Step Three: Cool the milk to approximately 105-115 degrees.
- Cooling the milk to this temperature takes about 1 hour if placed on the counter.
- I like to speed the process up by placing the inner pot into a large mixing bowl in ice water. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot