Traditional Recipe With Modern Convenience
Do you remember the big pot on the stovetop simmering delicious meals for hours and hours growing up?
I do, especially when visiting my grandmothers homes. Every time we were over their kitchen waifed of the magical smell spices and foods that cooked ALL DAY LONG.
Those were the days, right? Simple, yet it wasnt. I didnt know then what I know now, but food needed to be stretched back then.
Both of my parents grew up in large families. Five kids each and they lived just two houses apart!
My grandmother and mother made their meals from scratch. I bet yours did too. It was just as common as opening a can of chicken broth is now!
Now were right smack in the middle of third and fourth Mexican-American generations. We have so many modern conveniences to help us savor homemade dishes like slow cookers and pressure cookers.
I Have Three Versions Of Classic Chili Recipes For You Today
Classic chili for the Stovetop, the Instant Pot , and a Slow Cooker.
And of course, if you dont want to make a Deanne sized batch, simply half the recipe.
We always have a freezer full of beef to use, so this is a frequently made go-to.
Whats that? You have a freezer full of beef, too? Oh, then check out my post with ideas to use up ground beef!
Be sure to top it with some sharp shredded cheddar, or sour cream, of whatever you like on your chili!
Easy Pressure Cooker Chili Steps
Don’t Miss: What Appliances Does An Instant Pot Replace
Saut Onion Garlic Spices
Now, add diced onions, minced garlic, 1 tbsp ground cumin seed, 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp dried oregano in Instant Pot.
*Note: Adjust the amount of chili powder depending on your chili powders spiciness and how spicy you want your chili to be.
Sauté for about 5 minutes until the spices start to release their fragrance. Stir frequently.
What To Serve Chili Colorado With
Serve chili colorado with a fresh green salad along with the following side dishes:
- Spanish rice traditional basic fluffy full flavored rice with or without additional vegetables.
- 3 Ingredient Cauliflower Spanish Rice Keep this meal low-carb and serve with rice made with cauliflower.
- Mexican Pinto Beans crock pot recipe with flavorful spices like cumin, oregano, and fresh chopped tomatoes.
- Homemade Tortilla tender and chewy traditional flour tortillas.
- Low Carb Tortilla check out these low carb pre-made tortillas.
Also Check: Can I Put Glass Bowl In Instant Pot
How To Make Wendys Chili In An Instant Pot
Serve this chili with Fritos, cornbread, or over rice. Its great for dinner on a cold day or to enjoy while watching football on game day.
Dont have an Instant Pot? You can make it on the stovetop with my recipe for copycat Wendys Chili.
I know you are going to love this Instant Pot Wendys Chili when you make it at home.
Other Posts You Might Like
- 2 ½ cups beef, chicken or veggie broth
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 12 teaspoons dark cocoa powder,
- 12 teaspoons smoked paprika or ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- optional additions: frozen corn or diced red bell pepper
- Garnishes: grated cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado, scallions
Also Check: How To Cook Eggs In The Instant Pot
New To Pressure Cooking
Electric pressure cookers are having a renaissance these days. The newest models, like the Instant Pot, are programmable smart appliances that are safe and easy to use. They’re completely different than the traditional stovetop models many of us grew up with.
- Check out this guide! How to Use an Instant Pot
The pressure cooker I use is an Instant Pot. I have both the 6- and 8-quart models, and I find that the 6-quart size is plenty big for most meals. It handles recipes making 4 to 6 serving recipes easily, including this beef chili.
Instant Pot Chili Recipe
Our Instant Pot Chili Recipe is full of beef, beans, tomatoes, and spices simmered together in the pressure cooker for the fastest, easiest chili recipe ever. Everyone will think it took you all day, but it only takes about 40 minutes!
The fall and winter months are the perfect time to make this Instant Pot Chili recipe. All the taste of a slow cooked chili, but in just 40 minutes! Serve with Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread, Parmesan Garlic Knots and a Garden Salad for a complete meal.
As the days cool down, I know we will be having this Instant Pot Chili for dinner again and again!
Also Check: How To Cook An Artichoke In An Instant Pot
How To Thicken Instant Pot Chili
This easy Instant Pot chili has a substantial amount of flavor-rich broth, thanks to the addition of beef broth and beer. When I make our favorite Stove Top Chili Recipe, a lot of the liquid evaporates while the recipe simmers away. In this recipe the liquid doesnt have a chance to evaporate so the chili will need to be thickened before serving.
There are two ways you can do this.
- Thicken with Cornstarch :;Make a cornstarch and water slurry by combining equal parts water and cornstarch. When the cook cycle is done and the pressure has released, bring the chili up to a boil using the saute button.Add the slurry a little bit at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Thicken by Simmering :;Simmer your Instant Pot chili with the cover off using the sautee function for 20 minutes, or until the broth has reduced to your desired consistency.
Can I Make This Chili On The Stovetop
Yes! You can make chili on the stove without an instant pot or slow cooker! Simply brown the beef first, then add the remaining ingredients in any order.
My sister seasons the beef with cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Then adds heavy whipping cream for superior flavor. She also likes her chili on the thicker side, so shell add an additional can of beans.
Also Check: How To Cook Chicken Breast In Instant Pot
How To Make Chili Colorado In An Instant Pot
This recipe calls for the same ingredients previous generations did, but with a modern twist.
First, this tender beef stew is made in an Instant Pot. Second, we use some canned goods: broth and prepared chili sauce .
Dont have a pressure cooker? No problem! Check the recipe card for instructions on how to make chili colorado in a slow cooker or on the stovetop.
This recipe is adapted from my friend Eva as told to her by her mama! The original instructions were to cook this in a slow cooker.
Getting hungry? Lets get cooking!
The Best Instant Pot Chili
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. I only recommend items I love and have had a positive experience with. Thank you!
5 Expert Instant Pot Tricks HOW TO SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH THE INSTANT POT
Warm, comforting Instant Pot Chili is the perfect cool weather meal and this is the ABSOLUTE BEST CHILI I have ever eaten!; Packed with fiber and nutrients, covered in cheese and sour cream get ready to fall in love!
I really hesitate to call any of my recipes The Best.; It feels like I’m putting a challenge out there and heaven knows, I AM NOT a competitive person.
Don’t tell my younger sisters, but I used to silently cheer when the opposing team made points at their volleyball competitions because that meant we could leave sooner.; Feels so good to confess that!
I also recall faking a rolled ankle in a basketball game as a 13-year-old so I could go home and read a book I was really excited about.
So yeah, don’t bother to compete;with me, I’ll probably just hand you the trophy.
By calling this amazing, deep, rich, flavorful, silky chili THE BEST, I’m simply saying it is THE BEST CHILI I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!; No restaurant or chili potluck has ever made me as happy as this bowl of chili right here!
Don’t Miss: Is Instant Pot Lid Dishwasher Safe
Instant Pot Chili Faqs
Can I use ground turkey instead?
Sure! It wont taste quite the same but will still be very good.;
Can I use a different type of bean?
Yes, you can basically use any kind of cooked canned beans you like.
I dont have Ancho Chili powder, what can I substitute?
You can use regular mild chili powder, or hot, whatever you prefer but you may need to adjust the amount down if your chili powder is hot. Ancho Chili powder has a mild earthy flavor and doesnt taste exactly the same as regular chili powder.
Can I freeze it?
Yes, put it in an airtight container and it will keep for a couple of months in the freezer.
How long will it keep in the fridge?
Up to four days, it tastes even better after the first day!
Is it spicy?
It has a mild kick, if you want it hotter add more cayenne pepper or a splash of hot sauce.
What should I serve it with?
Back home in the UK Chili is often served over rice. Here in the US is usually comes with a side of crackers, but we love it with some homemade gluten free cornbread. Our favorite Instant Pot Chili toppings include sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and sometimes all three at once!
How To Make Instant Pot Chili
Read Also: What To Cook In Instant Pot
This Delicious Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Chili Is A Comforting Meal Made Quick And Easy In The Instant Pot Your Family Is Sure To Love It
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience.; You can read my full disclosure policy here.
My moms chili was one of my favorite meals as a kid, and its one that I remember well.
The electric can opener would busily hum as she prepared cans of beans and tomatoes while ground beef sizzled with onions.; A hefty sprinkling of chili powder and some bubbling and simmering later, the flavors were melded together into a pot of goodness that matched my burnt sienna crayon.; It was warmly hearty and delicious, and a favorite in our family.
As Ive grown older, my love for chili has grown to include a variety of different types.; In fact, I have an entire list of the best Instant Pot chili recipes, which is all of my favorites in one place!
Whether its the smoky-sweet flavors in pressure cooker BBQ chicken chili, the simplicity of pressure cooker white chicken chili, the seasonal favorite Instant Pot pumpkin chili, or my more recent discovery of sweet potato chili, I find them all dreamy in their own way.
One of my favorite things about chili is the versatilityits so easy to make it your own by adjusting spices, types of beans, swapping out the meats, and so on.
But none of those variations are quite as comforting as a bowl of classic chili, similar to the ones I enjoyed as a child.
Over the years, Ive adapted my moms recipe a bit, and more recently, I decided to adapt it to be made in my Instant Pot, because I love the option to prepare it much more quickly!
Can I Cook Dried Beans In The Instant Pot
Yes! Dried beans can easily be made in the Instant Pot. For this recipe, add 1 cup of dried red kidney beans to your electric pressure cooker along with 1 quart of water. Select high pressure and 1 minute of cook time. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker and let the beans sit for one hour. Remove them from the pot and proceed with the recipe as directed, re-adding them to the chili with the seared beef.
Watch;the video below;where;Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and weve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on;,;,;or;our;,;or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Instant Pot Chili
Recommended Reading: How Do I Use An Instant Pot
How To Thicken Chili
This recipe should be nice and thick, but if you prefer a thicker chili, feel free to use this quick and easy way to thicken it without compromising the taste.
How To Cook Chili In Instant Pot
What I truly love about this recipe is that I can brown the ground beef right in the instant pot on sauté mode. This saves me from having any extra dishes to clean and keeps my stove top nice and clean too.
- Start by browning your ground beef , then drain any excess fat and return the liner to the pressure cooker.
- Dump in all of the ingredients and give it a good stir.
- Set to Chili/Beans setting or HIGH pressure and set for 18 minutes. Once its finished cooking release the pressure and youre done!
All thats left to do is add your favorite chili toppings!
We love adding shredded cheese, sour cream and diced green onions. Ill even throw some crunchy corn chips on top if I have them on hand.
Also Check: Does Walmart Sell Instant Pot
Why You Will Love This Award Winning Chili
- No crazy, weird ingredients here.; I didn’t add bacon, balsamic vinegar, quinoa, or any other nontraditional ingredients to this beauty.; Not saying all of those don’t have potential, I’m just saying if you want glorious, traditional, feel-good chili, this is your baby.
- Toppings!; I theorize that it is the lack of toppings that kept me from trying chili as a kid.; What kid would see chips, cheese, and sour cream piled high in their bowl, and say, Oh don’t even think I’m eating that!
- And of course, the awesome trio that makes you feel good about eating to your heart’s content: Healthy, Wholesome, Pretty.; Yep, I said pretty.; Food should be pretty.
Tips For This Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- Be sure that you dont stir in the beans and tomatoes before pressure cooking. If you stir them in you are more likely to get the burn message.
- Depending on which chili powder you use and how spicy you like your chili, you can adjust the amount of chili powder. I use a milder chili powder and find 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons to be the perfect amount for a mildly spicy chili.
- You can add more vegetables to this chili recipe. Try chopped green bell pepper, chopped or shredded carrot, or cubes of sweet potato.
- This Instant Pot Chili is thick right after pressure cooking, but if you want it even thicker you can simmer it using sauté mode for a few minutes.
- This chili tastes even better on the second and third day. You can store leftover chili in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. This chili freezes really well.
- Want to make this in the slow cooker? Try my slow cooker chili recipe.
Find more of the best Instant Pot ground beef recipes here!
Recommended Reading: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot