Add Bbq Sauce Seal And Cook With High Pressure For 5 Minutes
To keep the ingredient list and cook time on the short side, the recipe calls for your choice of bbq sauce. I used local-to-me Stubbs Bar-B-Q sauce. Their original is on the lower calorie side, but the Sticky Sweet is worth the extra calories in my opinion. G Hughes also makes sugar free BBQ sauces that are really flavorful if youre okay with a few artificial sweeteners. Have fun hereany sauce will get the job done!
Just make sure you move the chicken thighs around and get some sauce on the bottom to deglaze the pot before sealing.
Caramelize Instant Pot Bbq Chicken
We tested caramelizing the BBQ Chicken with the broiler in the oven vs. Instant Pots Saute Mode. Both methods work, but broiling in the oven works and taste better.
Place the chicken thighs under the broiler for 4 8 minutes until the BBQ chicken is browned & caramelized .
*Pro Tip: If you use Instant Pots Saute Mode, be sure to constantly flip the BBQ Chicken to avoid burning the chicken.
Enjoy your Instant Pot BBQ Chicken!~
Bbq Chicken Serving Ideas
There are so many ways you can serve the chicken after its cooked. Try any one of these fast and easy ideas.
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches serve with some french fries
- BBQ Chicken Bowls put the shredded chicken on top of a bowl of mashed potatoes
- Cookout Serve with grilled corn on the cob
- Pasta Dish Shred the chicken and serve with pasta for a new main dish
Read Also: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Pressure Cooker Bbq Chicken
Sharing is caring!
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the;recipe card at the bottom of the post.;You can find important tips/tricks in theblog post.
Time to grab you Instant Pot and make the most delicious pulled BBQ chicken for all your sandwich needs! This pressure cooker BBQ chicken is a true dump and go recipe and it results in the most flavorful shredded chicken.
This is a great go to BBQ chicken recipe when you are running short on time and have hungry mouths to feed!
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Leg Quarters
We have used this method over and over again and it turns out perfect every time!
You must first decided if you want to season your leg quarters or not. If you are using a dry rub, season before putting them in the Instant Pot.
If you are more of a barbecue sauce person, you can add the sauce either at the beginning or at the end of the cooking process.
Before cooking, remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before placing them in the multicooker.
Although this isnt absolutely necessary if you are short on time. However, it helps the pot come to pressure quicker than if you start with cold chicken.
When you are ready to cook your chicken leg quarters, place 1 cup of water in the liner of the Instant Pot.
Then place the trivet down in the water. Next, place the chicken leg quarters stacked sideways, with the leg facing the top of the pot.
Lock the lid in place and pressure cook on HIGH pressure for 20 minutes.
Remember, from a timing standpoint to allow time for the pot to come to pressure.
Then when the cook time is up, allow for the pot to Naturally Release Pressure for 8 minutes.
Also Check: What Is Instant Pot Poultry Mode
Pulled Bbq Chicken 2 Ways: Instant Pot And Stovetop
Tender, juicy, flavorful pulled bbq chicken two ways. In this post, you will learn how to make instant pot shredded bbq chicken, as well as Dutch oven;pulled bbq chicken. Both methods are equally good and deliver the delicious homemade barbeque chicken.
In July I took a break from posting recipes on the blog. But I didnt stop developing them. I had plenty of time to become closer friends with Instant Pot Pressure cooker and already tested a lot of recipes.
Couple words on pressure cooker! What an amazing time-saving machine! At first, it looks super scary and doubtful. Once you pass instruction and get to know process, comes the fall in love step.
However, not all of you have instant pot, but a lot of you love pulled chicken, right? I made this pulled bbq chicken recipe plenty of time before the new kitchen toy hit the market. I will include instruction for the stove top pulled bbq chicken as well.
It is hard to tell which one tastes better. The structure is definitely different. The longer you cook, the mushier chicken becomes. In a pressure cooker, it comes out soft but holds its shape. In a dutch oven, the chicken comes out slightly drier, and structure depends on how long you cook it.
And lastly, you can use it in so many ways! Lunch, brunch, snack, dinner I usually cook two breasts and that last for about five different meals for two of us.
Alright, I will stop here and add some technical parts.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Place chicken, chicken broth, and bbq seasoning in pressure cooker insert.
- Close and cook high pressure for 14 min.
- After the 14 minutes, allow the pressure cooker to naturally release for 10 min. Quick release any remaining pressure.
- Remove chicken and place in a large bowl and shred. Add bbq sauce and serve how you like.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Add Ons
Why Youll Love This Instant Pot Bbq Chicken Recipe:
- Quick: It takes minutes to prep this recipe before cooking it in the Instant Pot. Its ready to serve in less than 30 minutes!
- Kid-friendly: This is such a great recipe that the whole family will enjoy. Even your picky eaters will love it!
- One Pot: Everything is cooked right in the pressure cooker, so clean up is a breeze.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken
Yes! It is safe and easy to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot. You can use frozen chicken breasts in this recipe, keeping the cook time the same. The Instant Pot will take a few extra minutes to reach pressure if your chicken is frozen. However, if your chicken breasts are frozen AND very large, you should increase the cook time to 18 minutes plus a 10 minute natural release.
How Can I Use Instant Pot Chicken
Now that you have cooked chicken, what can you do with all the meat? Try out some of our favorite chicken breast recipes:
- Bring pizzaz to your pizza;;chicken Caesar it, or go wild with Barbecued Chicken Pizza or Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
- Top a leafy salad: add Instant Pot cooked chicken to any of your favorite salad recipes, like this contest-winning BLT Chicken Salad.
- Love your chicken salad: if youre a fan of creamy chicken salads for lunch, check out;our best chicken salad recipes.
- Simplify your sandwiches: add to this;Rotisserie Chicken Panini or kick it up with Spicy Buffalo Chicken Wraps, using your conveniently cooked chicken.
When youre ready to expand your skills past the Instant Pot, try our variety of chicken dinner ideas! For summer months, enjoy the outdoors and learn how to grill chicken breasts. Or, consider these slow-cooker chicken breast recipes.
Pressure Cooker Bbq Chicken Breasts
This Instant Pot BBQ chicken is loaded with flavor and its crazy easy to prep and cook. Rubbed with a dry spice mix before being cooked with BBQ sauce, this chicken is perfectly cooked and so damn tasty!
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Bbq Chicken In Instant Pot
Aug 4, 2021·
BBQ Chicken in Instant Pot or Pulled Chicken in Pressure Cooker is the most amazing Instant pot chicken breast recipe that you can make in a jiffy. All you have to do is just place BBQ sauce, water, and lightly seasoned chicken breasts in your Instant Pot. Cover the lid and pressure cook for 4-5 minutes. Release pressure and then shred them up using two forks. Sauté for few minutes and voila! your BBQ Chicken is ready to be served.
Instant Pot is not just a time-saver for me. It’s a life-saver! If you happen to take a sneak peek at my home, especially during the morning hours, you’d know how much of a craziness it is.
Husband rushing for work with a piece of bread-loaf in his hand. Kids putting on aprons and making smoothies. And, I hanging in between multi-tasking and micromanaging everything. At that point, I was feeling so bad about not preparing my food ahead of time.
Last night, I was feeling so tired that all I did was simply relax in my backyard listening to some good ‘ol music and sipping some crazy good wine.
Well, In India we have an old saying – “whatever happens happens for good”. I found a bottle of BBQ sauce on the countertop. Reminds me that I had got that to Make Air Fryer Chicken Tenders a few days back.
What happens next is pure magic…
The Easiest Way To Shred Chicken
Chicken is much easier to shred after it has cooked than raw. Dont wait until it has cooled. Warm chicken is easier to shred. You can use any of these methods to shred your BBQ chicken breasts:
- Use a knife and fork to pull the chicken apart.
- Use two forks to pry the chicken apart.
- Put the chicken in a bowl and use a hand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- A few pulses in a blender will shred the chicken.
- Pull it apart with your hands.
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Why Bbq Instant Pot Chicken Recipe Works
This deliciously easy instant pot barbeque chicken recipe uses chicken thighs coated in a house blend seasoning and cooked in an Instant Pot in a savory barbeque sauce. As a matter of fact, only 3 ingredients make the best barbeque chicken recipe and actually any style of barbeque sauce works. Such as, sweet and smoky, hot and spicy, or vinegary and tangy, all work!
Using the pressure cooker;gets the recipe done in no time and using the Stack and Cook Insert allows you to cook for a crowd. So no matter the family size this instant pot barbecue chicken recipe fits great.
Tips & Tricks For Shredded Instant Pot Bbq Chicken
- Variety of Meat. I find using both chicken breast and chicken thighs adds so much flavor to you end product. However, if you want to keep it lean then just stick with the chicken breast.
- Add the Chicken Broth first. Instant Pots can be a little finicky. Make sure you add the chicken bone broth then the chicken into the Instant Pot first. This will help ensure you dont get a burn notice and that the bbq sauce doesnt burn.
- What if I get a burn notice. If you get a burn notice there are a couple of things to do. First off, dont freak out, your Instant Pot will cool down for you. Its not going to blow up, there are built in safety precautions. You can add more liquid. Next time, just give your your ingredients a quick stir to make sure everything is sauced up properly.
- Sweeter Side. If you like your sauce on the sweeter side I would add a dried dates or 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
Also Check: Instant Pot Yogurt Without Yogurt Button
Optional: Broil For 8
I use the 8-quart Instant Pot Duo Crisp for recipe development, which has the broil function. Im sure the air fryer attachment or similar accessories have comparable functions. If you dont have anything that can do this, you can simply transfer your bbq pulled chicken to a baking sheet and broil in the oven. Its definitely worth the hassle!
Ill also add that if you dont plan on broiling, its probably worth taking a few minutes to reduce the remaining bbq sauce a bit.
Tips For Instant Pot Bbq Chicken
You can use a hand-held mixer to shred the chicken. ;Place the chicken into a deep mixing bowl and press the beaters into it. Turn the hand mixer on low speed, and let it do its thing until the chicken is fully shredded.
Shred the chicken with a fork.;On a plate or in a bowl, pierce a piece of boneless chicken with two forks. Both forks should have their prongs facing in a downward curve. Press the prongs of one fork into the center of the chicken and apply firm downward pressure. With another fork, pierce the chicken near the place where the prongs of the first fork penetrated. Then, pull the second fork away from the first in a straight line.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken: If you are using your slow cooker for making BBQ Chicken place the chicken on the bottom and add 1 cup of water. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hrs or 4 hours on high. Drain the liquid, and shred the chicken. See how easy it is to use both cooking devices to make cooking a breeze?
What to serve with your chicken? I like to serve my BBQ chicken with some Trader Joes reduced guilt mac and cheese ; and a side of green beans. Usually, I like to make my own mac and cheese which I will leave a link for down below, but this night I was feeling extra lazy about cooking. If you are wanting to make this with a sandwich use a light bun. My favorite light bun is Village Hearth.
Read Also: Tamales In Instant Pot
Freezing Instant Pot Bbq Chicken
After cooking the Instant Pot BBQ chicken, you can divide it into individual portions and freeze. It will last for four months in the freezer.
This makes it great for meal prep. You can make a large batch of shredded chicken on the weekend. Store what you plan to use that week in the refrigerator. For everything else, put it in the freezer. You will have cooked chicken ready any time.
Tips For Making Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken
This recipe is so simple. You just add the chicken to the instant pot, add barbeque sauce and water and let it cook on high pressure for about 15 minutes. Let naturally release or manually release if you are short on time.
Since barbeque sauce is naturally pretty thick, its important to add a little water so that the instant pot will come up to pressure. Without water, you will likely get a BURN error.
- For each pound of chicken you add, you will need 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce. The water in the recipe will not change!
- Depending on how thick the sauce is that you choose, you will need between 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup of water to get the instant pot up to pressure.
After the bbq chicken is done cooking, you will likely need to thicken the barbeque sauce since you added water to get it up to pressure. To do this, just make a slurry of water and arrowroot powder or tapioca flour and water.; See the recipe card for details on how to do this.
You May Like: Instant Pot Hot Message
Should I Change The Cook Time If I Double The Chicken
There is a lot of confusion about this. Let me try and explain. The cooking time will vary depending upon the size of 1 chicken breast. Generally, 1 chicken breast weighs around 6 ounces. Therefore for a pack of one and a half-pound of chicken breasts, you’ll have 4 chicken breasts of 6-ounces each.
- 6-ounce chicken breast takes 6-minutes to cook in the Instant pot. Add another 4-minutes if your chicken breast is frozen. Therefore 10-minutes for frozen chicken.
- 7-ounce chicken breast takes 7-minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. Add another 4-minutes if your chicken breast is frozen. Therefore frozen chicken breast would take 11-minutes to get cooked.
So, coming back to the question. If you double your chicken, make sure you weigh 1 chicken breast and then decide on the time. Cooking time depends on the size of your chicken breasts and not how many breasts you are using.
How To Make Instant Pot Bbq Chicken
Heres an overview of how to make BBQ chicken in the Instant Pot. Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions below.
Recommended Reading: What Does It Mean When The Instant Pot Says Burn