How Much Water Do I Add
You can cook any kind of rice in your pressure cooker, long or short grain, brown or white. No matter what kind of rice Im cooking, I use the same 1:1 ratio of rice to water or broth.
This is probably less water than youre used to using for cooking stovetop rice, and thats because theres very little evaporation when youre using the pressure cooker. This ratio produces fairly firm, separate grainsyou can add a little more water, maybe about 1/4 cup extra, if you like softer rice.
What Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Do You Use
An Instant Pot is a brand of programmable electric pressure cookers. The concept is to cook foods at high pressure, which cuts down on cooking time and makes for even cooking. There are lots of brands of pressure cookers, including Instant Pot. The pressure cooker we use is this 6 quart Instant Pot. Weve been using it for years and highly recommend it!
Add Cilantro And Stir
- Stir gently. Dont attack Instant Pot black beans and rice recipe with a wooden spoon at 100 miles per hour. Husbands are known for that. Stir gently.
- I see some liquid. My beans are dry. Dont panic, just stir. Stirring should take care of extra liquid. If beans or rice is a teeny weeny crunchy, close the lid and let sit for 10 minutes. It will get there.
- Dont forget to add a small bunch of finely chopped cilantro. It changes everything!
Read Also: Tip Roast Pressure Cooker
Ways To Reduce Arsenic In Rice
There are a few ways that you canreduce the levels of arsenic:
- Pre-rinse your rice. Rinsing rice before cooking can reduce the arsenic levels.
- If possible, choose rice from the Himalayan regionits said they have lower levels of arsenic in their soil.
- Some people like to cook their rice in extra water so they can drain out impurities after cooking. In the Instant Pot, though, this can lead to very wet rice.
How Much Water Do I Use For 2 Cups Of Brown Rice
Think about it as pasta. So For 1 Cup Rice, You Need 8 Cups Water, But For 2 Cups Rice You Only Need 12 Cups of Water. This is because the water content of a cup varies depending on how much rice you are using. For example, a 2 cup serving of pasta will have a higher water concentration than a 1/2 cup portion of spaghetti.
Read Also: Food Burn Error Instant Pot
Why Brown Rice Is Bad For You
In fact, there are many health benefits of brown grain including reducing risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, obesity, etc. But, why brown grains are bad? This is because brown cereals are high in phytates, which are plant chemicals that inhibit the bodys ability to absorb nutrients. Phytoestrogens, such as soybean phorbol esters, are also found naturally in beans and legumes. Soybeans are the main source of phytonutrients in our diets. They are rich in isoflavones, genistein, daidzein and glycitein.
What Is Brown Rice
Brown rices literal meaning in Chinese is rough rice. Its an unpolished whole grain rice the bran, germ, and aleurone layer are not removed like the regular polished white rice we eat.
Brown rice is the same grain as white rice, but its more nutritious with more nutrients and high in fiber.
Normally it takes almost an hour of simmering to make a pot of brown rice on stove top, but its super easy to cook Brown Rice in Instant Pot with just half the cooking time!
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Slow Cooker Function
Should I Use The Rice Button On My Instant Pot
The Instant Pots rice button is best used for white rice, as it is specifically calibrated to weigh white rice and water and cook the rice accordingly. This is ideal for weeknights when you truly want to set and forget your rice, but not great for cooking different varieties of rice on the fly.
Luckily, you can use your Instant Pots manual pressure function to cook white, brown, or wild rice on high pressure in just a few minutes. Heres how to do it.
How Do You Make Rice In Instant Pot
Instructions Add the wild rice,water and/or broth,and salt to the InstantPot. Place the lid on the InstantPotand turn until it locks into place. Press the Manual button and adjust the cooking time to 35 minutes and the pressure to high. When the InstantPotbeeps,manually release pressure. Open the lid immediately and fluff with a fork.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
Which Rice Is Healthiest
White rice is the most common type of rice worldwide. Jasmine and basmati rice are other examples of white rice. White rice is highly processed, which means that most of the nutrients have been stripped out during processing .
Colored rice is healthier because its bran and germ remains intact . The bran is where the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients exist. Colored rices are black, red, and brown ricethese are typically higher in protein and fiber.
Of the different colors, black rice is considered the healthiest rice as its not only high in protein and fiber, but also contains antioxidants. In addition, these brown rice varieties have a lower glycemic index than white rice.
How Much Rice Can I Cook
We recommend a minimum of 1 cup of dry rice directly in the inner pot. If youre cooking less, use the pot-in-pot method.
You can use the 1:1 recipe for any amount, but remember to never fill your inner pot past the halfway mark when cooking food that expands, such as rice.
If you are cooking a lot of rice, you may find you need to add a minute or two to the cooking time.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Frozen Tamales
Recommended Reading: Sirloin Roast Recipe Instant Pot
How To Cook Brown Rice In Instant Pot
Unlike white rice, the brown rice has its grain husk intact, which takes longer to cook. Using the Instant Pot to cook brown rice really speeds up the process.
Rinse 1 cup of brown rice once under cold water . Add brown rice to the pot together with 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt or the same amount of stock without salt. If cooking 2 cups of rice, add 2.25 cups of water and or stock.
Set to Manual/Pressure Cook for 22 minutes on HIGH with 10 minutes natural pressure release , and then use the quick release. Total time is about 35 minutes.
Tips For Perfect Brown Rice
- Water to rice ratio stays the same whether you cook 1 cup or 5 cups of rice.
- Cooking time stays the same for any amount of rice.
- Size of Instant Pot: You can use any as long as you dont fill it more than 1/2 full.
- Altitude: Pressure cooking time does differ very slightly based on the altitude where you currently are. As well, even the same type of rice can be of different quality or age. If your brown rice comes out a bit crunchy or mushy, add or reduce a few minutes to the cooking time. Not a big deal.
Just look at this perfect brown basmati rice in Instant Pot. And even the short grain rice is perfect! Cmon, get excited with me!
Recommended Reading: Steaming Frozen Tamales
What Pressure Setting To Use & Pressure Release
You can use an Instant Pot model or any other brand electric pressure cooker if you follow the pressure settings here and pressure release time for similar and perfect results. Its important to note that I did NOT use the rice setting, but Manual Pressure Cooking setting on high for 20 minutes with the natural release on. I also turned off the keep warm setting. The level of pressure and timing works well for both short grain and long grain rice that I tested.
How To Cook Brown Rice Directly In The Instant Pot
If you dont want to use the pot in pot method or you want to pressure cook a larger quantity of brown rice you can make the brown rice directly in the inner pot:
- Lightly coat the inner pot with some oil.
- Add equal quantities of rinsed brown rice and water to the inner pot. Depending on your Instant Pot model, youll need to cook at least 1 1/2 cups of rice to avoid the Burn Message.
- Pressure cook on High Pressure for 22 minutes.
- Do a 10 minute natural pressure release. Find out more about the different pressure release methods.
Don’t Miss: Frozen Ground Chicken Instant Pot
Here Is How To Freeze Cooked Brown Rice
- Spread the cooked rice in a sheet pan and let it cool until it is no longer hot.
- Portion the rice into freezer bags I recommend using quart-size freezer bags and adding a cup of cool cooked rice into each bag.
- Spread and flatten the rice with the help of your hands to form a single layer in the bag.seal and squish much air out as you can. Repeat with the remaining rice.
- Place the bags in a clean sheet pan, then freezer in flat stacks, and place in the freezer until the rice is frozen around 2 hours.
- Use a gallon freezer bag for easier storage and place the frozen rice bags into it, labeled with the contents and datestore for up to 3 months.
What Kind Of Release Method Is Best
Youll do a natural release here. At least 10 minutes natural release time is recommended, but I usually get lost in my work or social media or whatevs while the pressure cooker is doing its own thing and I dont bother timing the natural release.
Once the pressure cooker is finished cooking, I press cancel and let it natural release fully until its lost all steam. If Im not ready to serve, I let it go to Warm setting until Im ready.
Then, open the lid, fluff your rice, and serve it up.
Recommended Reading: Make Yogurt In Pressure Cooker Without Yogurt Button
Results & Rice Texture
So what makes Instant Pot rice good? Well, it will definitely give you a different type of texture. The results of Instant Pot rice have more distinct rice grains than a rice cookerthis was made even more significant because I used short-grain rice, which is known for its stickier consistency.
Its different and not necessarily better or worse, depending on what you like or expect. You can perhaps keep tinkering with the time and water to rice ratios to dial it in, but this is one that I prefer. But I found that even adding ¼ cup more water takes the grains from distinct to something mushier.
You May Like: Instant Pot Burn Display
Cook Brown Rice Faster With The Instant Pot
Need a quick and easy way of cooking brown rice? The Instant Pot has the power to soften the tough protective bran shell into a soft tender texture. The preparation is very similar to the stovetop method however, the precise ratio of water is important to prevent a mushy mess.
With very little hands-on time required, this recipe takes away any excuse for not making a big batch of these wholesome grains. Simply rinse, pour, seal, and let the electric pressure cooker do all of the work. Follow this step-by-step guide for perfect rice at the touch of a button.
Also Check: Instant Pot Ribeye Steak And Potatoes
Ways To Make Instant Pot Brown Rice
I make instant pot brown rice in 2 ways. In this post I am sharing both the methods.
1. Pot-in-pot method : Often I prefer to cook foods following the pot-in-pot method. The ability to pressure cook multiple foods at one time is what I love the most in this method.
If you are a small family and love to cook 2 to 3 kinds of foods in one go then this method is great for you. I usually go with this when I have to cook something else along with my brown rice.
Best Cooking Time For Instant Pot Rice
The amount of water will remain the same. Different kinds of rice, however, take different amounts of time to cook under pressure. Wild rice and brown rice will require more time than white rice, for instance. Any variety can be cooked at either high or low pressure it comes out a little fluffier at low pressure, and a little chewier at high pressure.
Although you can cook any variety of rice on the automatic rice setting, brown rice works better on either a manual setting, or a setting thats specifically designed for whole grains, such as the Multigrain setting on the Instant Pot.
Here are my preferred cooking times for rice in the pressure cooker:
- Brown rice: 20 minutes on high pressure for firm rice, or 22 minutes for softer grains
- White rice: 15 minutes on low pressure for firm rice, or 17 minutes for softer grains
Read Also: How To Cook Chicken Tenders In Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: How Long Does It Take To Cook A Sirloin Tip Roast In A Pressure Cooker
More Rice Dishes From My Kitchen
- White Rice in Instant Pot: A fail-proof recipe for white rice in the Instant Pot, with notes on why its much easier than the stove!
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice Recipe: A recipe for restaurant-quality Mexican rice bursting with onions, peppers, corn and taco seasoning.
- Instant Pot Coconut Rice: A quick and easy recipe for aromatic Basmati or Jasmine rice cooked with creamy and rich coconut milk!
- Spinach Rice Pilaf: An easy pressure cooker and stovetop recipe for a flavorful, healthy, vegan and gluten-free side-dish speckled with spinach.
- Saffron Rice: Aromatic and nutty basmati rice simmered in a floral and fragrant saffron-infused broth prepared in the Instant Pot, stove or microwave.
- Rice Pudding : Rich and decadent Indian rice pudding, Kheer.
â Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! For more quick & easy recipes, FOLLOW ME on , and .
How Do You Cook Brown Rice In A Pressure Cooker
Instructions. Add brownriceinto a large bowl and water to cover. Transfer the riceinto a colander on top of a big bowl. Transfer riceto pressurecookerand add water. Cookat high pressurefor 28 minutes. When the riceis done,release pressureusing fast release. At this point,the riceon the bottom will be moist and fragile.
Don’t Miss: Laura Vitale Beef Stew
Exactly How Long Do I Cook The Rice
While the exact amount of water you use depends on how you like your rice, the exact length of time you cook your rice depends upon your specific conditions. For example, altitude can make a big difference. If you are cooking a large amount of rice, you may need to add a few extra minutes to the cooking time. Thats why we provide a range of times for different varieties of rice.
The goal is to stop cooking when all the water has been absorbed by the rice. If you open the cooker, give it a stir, and find theres still unabsorbed water in the inner pot, then youll need to cook it a bit longer.
Why This Recipe For Brown Rice In Instant Pot Works
- Hands off, no babysitting, super easy, and fuss free.
- One batch makes a lot, but you can also adjust the amount to suit your needs.
- Meal prep magic! Batch cooking, portioning and make ahead meals made easy.
- Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for months.
- Brown rice is naturally gluten-free and high in vitamins and minerals.
- A healthier alternative to white rice.
- Takes the guess work out of making rice with this simple, easy to follow, guide.
Recommended Reading: Sirloin Tip Steak Recipe Instant Pot
Does Instant Pot Make Good Rice
Although Instant Pot recommends a 1 to 1.25 ratio, several customer reviews reveal that a one to one ratio comes out better, especially with rinsed rice. The reason you would use less water when cooking rice with a pressure cooker than with a normal rice cooker is because the pressure cooker has an air tight seal.
How To Cook Brown Rice In The Instant Pot
This site contains affiliate links. Please see Policies for more information.
Do you want to learn how to cook brown rice in the Instant Pot? Of course you do! This simple method will give you perfect fluffy and sticky rice every time!
This post explains:
- how to store brown rice for meal prep
- which rice is the healthiest
- the benefits of brown rice
- what glycemic index is and why you should care about it
The Instant Pot is such a great tool in the kitchen. Not only does it simplify cooking, it helps you cook delicious meals that are perfectly suited for nutrition programs like 21 Day Fix, Weight Watchers, and even just traditional healthy recipes.
Also Check: Instant Pot Tamales Cooking Time
Perfectly Cooked Brown Rice
Using the Instant Pot to make rice is hands-down the BEST way to make perfectly cooked rice.
When cooked in the instant pot, brown rice turns out nutty, soft, chewy, and not at all mushy. It is everything rice should be!
With this recipe for Instant Pot Brown rice, there is no babysitting of the rice, no worry of overcooked, or undercooked rice, and no need for a rice maker! I mean, a rice maker is only good for making rice, while an Instant Pot can not only cook rice perfectly but is also handy for so many recipes and staples, like Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs or Instant Pot Baked Potatoes.
Instant Pot Rice will make cooking rice effortless and ensure perfect results every single time.