Other Recipes Youll Love
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice Youll love how Instant Pot cooks Basmati rice fluffy and with each grain distinct and so much faster than a rice cooker.
- Vegetable Quinoa Pulao Just like vegetable pulao, this quinoa pilaf is delicious and is a great way to work more veggies into your meals with quinoa a healthier substitute for rice.
- 20-Minute Instant Pot Palak Rice This filling and flavorful Spinach Rice is packed with warm spices and fresh vegetables for a gluten-free dish everyone will enjoy!
- Instant Pot Sukha Kala Chana This flavorful sukha kala chana dish tastes divine when served with pooris and sheera.
- Healthy Instant Pot Hummus With a few simple ingredients, you can easily whip up this delicious Instant Pot Hummus recipe for a gluten-free and vegan appetizer or snack!
Where To Buy Quinoa
Youll typically find quinoa in bags in the natural section of the grocery store. Its usually near the rice or gluten-free products. You can also find quinoa in the bulk bins which may be cheaper. You can even order ! Although there are different varieties, such as red quinoa or tri-color quinoa, I usually buy whichever one is the cheapest since there isnt much of a difference other than color.
Can I Make A Double Batch Of Quinoa In The Instant Pot
Yes! You totally can. My quick disclaimer is that I never actually have done this, but Im certain it would work as long as you follow the 1 : 1.25 quinoa to liquid ratio. Be careful not to overfill your Instant Pot if youre going for a triple batch.
More volume in the Instant Pot may need more time to heat up and reach pressure, but cooking time would remain the same.
Don’t Miss: Reheat Frozen Food In Instant Pot
This Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa
is one pot meal
gets done in 30 minutes or less!
is vegan and gluten-free
flavored with cumin, smoked paprika and chili powder
leftovers makes great lunch and also perfect for lunch-box
I love easy meals and I am sure you love them too. You guys have been loving the Thai Peanut Noodles that I shared on the blog recently and so I thought of sharing more easy dinner recipes with you guys.
When it comes to easy dinner, I always go back to my trusted Instant Pot. It never disappoints me!
How To Make Perfectly Cooked Quinoa In The Instant Pot
All you will need is water and uncooked white quinoa. In this recipe I use a 1:1 ratio of quinoa to water:
2 cups of uncooked quinoa + 2 cups of filtered water = 6 cups of cooked quinoa
The 6 cup measurement of cooked quinoa is if you were to pack the quinoa tightly into a measuring cup. However, I usually just fluff the quinoa after it is cooked in which case 2 cups of uncooked quinoa will yield closer to 8 cups of cooked quinoa .
You can rinse the quinoa in advance if you like to remove any bitter taste. Then, place the water and quinoa in your Instant Pot and cook on manual high pressure for one minute. It will take a couple minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. Once it is finished cooking you can let it sit for 15-20 minutes or simply press the Off button right away and then let it naturally release. Once it does you can remove the lid and fluff with a fork. And that is it! Couldnt be easier or produce better results. And if you forget about it it is okay. It wont overcook!
Also Check: My Instant Pot Lid Won T Close
Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Quinoa
- Rinse quinoa before preparing. It takes away the bitterness.
- Spray the instant pot with cooking spray. It will keep it from sticking to the pot, and makes clean-up easy.
- Use less water than you would if preparing on the stovetop. The instant pot doesnt have as much evaporation, so using less water takes this into consideration. This way you will end up with tender quinoa that isnt mushy!
- Add a pinch of salt if using water.
- Try different types of broth for more flavor.
How To Cook Quinoa In An Instant Pot
This post contains affiliate links.
I took advantage of Amazon Prime Day this July and purchased the Instant Pot deal that was advertised. I had been debating for a while on whether or not I buy one, and thought that if all else fails that it would be a good way to post recipes on The Bewitchin Kitchen and share my learning process.
I love my Instant Pot.
When my Instant Pot arrived, I scoured through the instruction manual and noticed that they had a cook time chart.
I noticed that quinoa had a cook time under pressure for one minute.
It takes me 20 minutes to make quinoa on the stove top.
Seriously? 1 minute?!
Something to keep in mind is that thats the pressure cook time. That doesnt include the time it takes for the Instant Pot to come to temperature first.
TBKs Pro Tip: To speed up the process, start the Instant Pot on saute to pre heat the pressure cooker. It makes a big difference in the pre heat time.
So a one-minute pressure cook is one option, but you would have to naturally vent it so it would still take another 10-15 minutes. I decided to simply use the rice cooker option.
One hit of a button and I was able to cook up Quinoa while I focused on other things .
You May Like: Deer Meat Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa
- Start by pressing the saute button on your Instant Pot. Add oil to the insert and heat it up. Add chopped onion and pepper and minced garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add butter and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add corn and beans to the mixture and stir well. Add spices, quinoa and water and stir everything together.
- Add diced tomatoes in the center, but do not stir. Close lid, set valve to sealing, set timer to 1 minute. Once the timer is done, let it release the pressure naturally. It takes only a few minutes.
- Stir quinoa and enjoy right away topped with shredded cheese, chopped red onion, cilantro and avocados.
Tips For Making Perfect Instant Pot Quinoa
- Rinse your quinoa before cooking. We know, youve heard this before. Just dont skip this step. Rinsing before you cook helps get rid of the natural chemical compounds called saponins than can make quinoa taste bitter.
- Use a little less liquid than youre used to using on the stove. All the moisture stays locked inside the IP during cooking, so youll need only 1.5 cups of liquid per cup of raw quinoa.
- Consider using broth instead of water for an instant flavor boost. Because why not?
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pot. This cuts down on foamy bubbles and prevents sticking.
- Cook on high pressure for one minute, then let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes before you flip the valve. The grains will continue to cook during the natural release time.
- Batch cook it to have healthy whole grains on hand all week. Store cooked and cooled quinoa in a big bowl in the fridge to eat hot or cold. Or freeze single-serve portions in zip-top bags to use later.
Also Check: Frozen Tamales In Oven
Can I Use Unsalted Broth Or Water To Make Quinoa
You can definitely use unsalted broth or water to make this recipe. Ive made it with unsalted broth or stock before, and I simply add in half a teaspoon of salt when making one cup of quinoa. I have not used water before, but I would also add salt if I did. I feel the broth gives the quinoa the perfect little bit of flavor so my family will enjoy it.
Kitchen Prep Tools, Utensils & Appliances
Here is a list of the kitchen prep tools, utensils, and appliances I used to make this recipe.
Prep Tools & Utensils
All youll need for making this simple recipe is a measuring cup, liquid measuring cup, and a wooden spoon for fluffing the quinoa after its cooked.
Appliances & Cookware
Ive made this recipe in both my 6-quart Mealthy MultiPot 2.0 and 3-quart Instant Pot pressure cookers.
Electric Pressure Cooker Accessories
Make sure to check out my post on Must-Have Electric Pressure Cooker Accessories. Youll find a complete list of all the top accessories that can be used with your electric pressure cooker.
Tips For Cooking Pasta In The Instant Pot
- Youll want to reference the pasta cooking instructions to help you gauge how long to cook for in the Instant Pot. For example, if you are cooking a macaroni-type pasta that normally takes 10 minutes on the stove, you will want to divide that in half and reduce by one minute .
- Our quinoa macaroni cooks in 4-5 minutes on the stove top. For Instant Pot cooking purposes, we halved 4 minutes, and reduced by 1 minute .
- We add a tiny bit of oil to prevent foaming this doesnt always work.. in fact, sometimes the oil can coat the pasta and will deter the sauce from sticking. It usually still foams, but not quite as much if I forget to add oil.
- Add 1 tsp of salt for every 2-3 cups of water this, too can help with foaming in the Instant Pot.
- When it comes to releasing the pressure, have patience. If you forget that you have pasta and walk away for too long, you will find yourself with a mushy mess. I always quick release, and throw a towel over the valve but even then, after a few seconds, all that foam can create a starchy nightmare to clean. So try releasing in short bursts.. a few seconds at a time, until the pressure has been exhausted.
- Dont get overzealous and just force the pressure to release quickly because, well. I have, not a fun thing to clean up.
- Once you are done, use the pasta immediately by adding your sauce. Or, drain and rinse in cool water to stop the cooking process.
Have you cooked pasta in the Instant Pot? How did it work for you?
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot C7 Code
What Are Other Vegan Instant Pot Recipes
When Alex and I first learned about the Instant Pot, we thought it all about cooking meat. But since then, weve amassed a big collection of vegan Instant Pot recipes. You can make so many basics in your pressure cooker: rice, dried beans, dried chickpeas, mashed potatoes, and even soups. Here are some of our favorite pressure cooker recipes:
Also Check: Instant Pot Sucks
Different Types Of Quinoa
Quinoa comes in a variety of forms and colors. The most common types of quinoa include white, black, red, and tri-color quinoa.
- White quinoa The most common type of quinoa, white quinoa tends to be used as a replacement for rice due to its mild flavor and smell.
- Black quinoa Probably the rarest quinoa to find at the grocery stores, black quinoa has a crunchier finish than white quinoa and also has a slightly sweeter finish.
- Red quinoa Red quinoa holds its shape better during the cooking process making it an excellent addition to salads or grain bowls. Its a bit nuttier in flavor and has a crunchier finish than white quinoa.
- Tri-color quinoa This form of quinoa happens to be a blend of white, black, and red quinoa. While the white grains are soft and mild in flavor, the black and red grains provide a little more structure and shape as well as a crunchier finish.
To learn more about the different kinds of quinoa, check out this article about the 7 Types of Quinoa.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Rice Auto
Adding Flavor To Instant Pot Quinoa
If youd like to add even more flavor and nutrition to your Instant Pot Quinoa, you could cook it in bone broth instead of water. I love to make bone broth in either my slow cooker or instant pot. All you need is some leftover meat bones and veggie scraps.
The result is Instant Pot perfect quinoa thats never mushy, and always flavorful.
You can make as little or as much Instant Pot quinoa as youd like. Ill often double or triple the recipe. There is no need to adjust the cook time.
Once its finished, I like to portion the quinoa into freezer bags to have on hand for when Im needing some cooked quinoa especially handy when I get a craving for these Quinoa Burrito Bowls or Blueberry & White Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Cookies.
Just thaw the quinoa in the fridge overnight, or reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop, adding a tablespoon of water and covering the bowl or pan. It will take about a minute in the microwave. On the stove, heat on low until heated through.
If this Instant Pot Quinoa turned out perfect for you I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on
For more great Platings & Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on , , and .
Today Im Sharing How To Make Perfectly Cooked Quinoa In The Instant Pot Once You Try This Easy Hands
A couple years ago I shared my fool-proof method for stove-top quinoa. It is mostly hands-off and pretty awesome. But I have always wanted to master making perfectly cooked quinoa in the Instant Pot since it is such a convenient and popular cooking appliance these days. After many attempts I have landed on a super easy, almost completely hands-off method that works every time. This easy method produces perfectly cooked quinoa that is fluffy and never soggy, burnt or watery. The entire process from start to finish takes about 30 minutes but your hands-on time is like 30 seconds. That makes this perfect for meal prep or really any busy night you need quinoa.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Medium Grain White Rice
Instant Pot Santa Fe Chicken Over Quinoa An Easy Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Recipe Perfect For Dinner Or Make
Ive been getting my school brain back on lately. For those of you who are new to the blog, I am also a middle school math and science teacher. So lately Ive been in my classroom working since school is less than a month away. Part of that prep process gets me thinking about also preparing my make-ahead lunches for school weeks. This Santa Fe Chicken over Quinoa recipe is exactly the kind of meal I like to bring to work for the week!
My teaching partners and I are all into making lunches and freezing them. It makes life so easy in the morning! Plus, we have something healthy to eat all week. We like to make this soup, and this soup, and this one too!
We have found that eating these soups and meals like this Santa Fe Chicken over Quinoa really helps us shed a few pounds during the school year. Of course, that is as long as I can stay away from the candy!
This meal could be made using a slow cooker, but I have found the Instant Pot cooks chicken so much better!!!
Instant Pot Quinoa Soup Recipe
158 People Used
INSTANT POT QUINOA | EASY PERFECT FLUFFY EVERY TIME!
Instant Pot Quinoa Recipe – How To Cook Quinoa In The…
How to Cook Quinoa in an Electric Pressure…
Quinoa khichdi in instant pot/pressure cooker/weight…
Easy Chicken Quinoa in Pressure cooker | Getting…
Other Easy Instant Pot Meal Prep Ideas
- Healthy Instant Pot Taco Lettuce Wraps. In this recipe, I cook quinoa and ground beef together with beans and taco seasoning for an incredibly healthy meal everyone loves. This quinoa taco meat is great in a lettuce wrap, burrito bowl, or with a tortilla. Its the perfect meal prep meat!
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs. I make a dozen hard boiled eggs to use throughout the week as healthy snacks and salad toppings.
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken. This recipe cooks frozen chicken, with whatever seasoning you prefer, in no time! Perfect to use throughout the week for a lean and healthy protein.
- Instant Pot Oatmeal. I make a big batch of oatmeal at the beginning of the week to keep in the fridge. I keep it plain, so we can mix in whatever sounds good.
- Instant Pot Broccoli. Instant Pot broccoli has the perfect texture, not mushy or crunchy! Its a healthy side, snack, or vegetable for stir fry bowls.
- Check out my other healthy Instant Pot recipes!
Why Is Quinoa Bitter
Quinoa contains a natural outer coating called saponin. This is natural to the seed and is a protective agent. To rid of saponin, all you have to do is place the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold running water for 30-45 seconds to wash away the coating.
Take note that many brands offer pre-rinsed quinoa, to rid of the bitter outer layer and save consumers a step in preparation. But I always rinse my quinoa, no matter what the package says.
Also Check: Instant Pot Tamales Youtube