Instant Pot Roasted Whole Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Roasted Whole Chicken Recipe juicy and delicious whole chicken cooked in the pressure cooker. Great as a main dish or as a rotisserie chicken for other dishes.
After the success of my Instant Pot Turkey Breast, I knew I had to try and cook a whole chicken in my favorite appliance. I am so happy with the results! The chicken is juicy and delicious, not to mention the Instant Pot does the work and I dont have to baste it and tend to it.
How Long To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
The easiest way to figure out how long to cook a chicken in the pressure cooker is to multiply the number of pounds of fresh chicken by 6 minutes.
As with all pressure cookers, cooking times can vary slightly. Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit before consuming. Below is a cooking time table that will help you figure out the exact timing.
Juicy And Flavorful Chicken Ready In No Time
It’s no secret that rotisserie chicken is the key to making meal time easier. Save yourself time by adding leftover rotisserie chicken to meals throughout the week, or serve it all at once with some quick and easy side dishes for a meal that will feed the whole family. But before you head to the grocery store to pick up a rotisserie chicken, consider cooking a whole chicken yourself. This allows you to control the flavors and seasonings used on your chicken. The Instant Pot makes it so that you can cook a whole chicken in under an hour with only five minutes of prep work. Read on for step-by-step instructions on how to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, plus more ways to use leftover chicken.
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot: Step-by-Step
Learn how to season, sear, and cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, based on Instant Pot® Lemon Rotisserie Chicken recipe.
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
Ways to Use Leftover Chicken
Read Also: How To Steam Kale In A Pot
Why Make A Roast Chicken In The Instant Pot
- It is faster than cooking a whole chicken in the oven. You can make roast chicken for dinner on a weeknight!
- Pressure cooking makes the chicken so juicy, tender and flavorful!
- You can safely cook a frozen whole chicken in your Instant Pot no thawing required!
For all of you Instant Pot fans, I have more delicious recipes and resources to help you get quick and healthy meals on your table! If you are just getting started with your pressure cooker, read my Instant Pot manual. Then check out these easy Instant Pot recipes to help you meal plan:
Cooking Whole Chicken Instant Pot Vs Oven
Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that gets the cooking comfortable and quick. While the traditional oven roasted chicken takes a considerably long time than this pressure cooker whole chicken.
First and foremost Instant Pot cooking is perfect and quick and no babysitting. Every single piece of meat falls apart from the bones and is cooked uniformly. Whereas in Oven we have to keep applying oil around and flip and cook the chicken in multiple time intervals. Also, the oven takes a long time to cook than in the Instant Pot. Instant pot whole chicken recipes are hassle-free, So I highly recommend trying them for thanks giving dinner.
Also Check: Steam Vegetables In Instant Pot
How To Make It:
Pressure cook. Start by adding some chicken, broth, celery ribs , and onion to the insert pot of your Instant Pot . Cook those at high pressure for 3 minutes.
Make the dumplings. While the chicken and veggies cook, prepare the dumplings.
Now, I dont want you to be intimidated by these homemade dumplings.
Really, they are so easy. So easy, in fact, that my 4 year old and 2 year old helped make them.
They helped stir the dough, roll it out, and cut it into strips.
So dont think that homemade dumplings are difficult or labor intensivetheyre not.
Release pressure. Once the cook time is complete in the pressure cooker, perform a quick release of pressure. Remove the celery and onion and discard. Remove the chicken and set aside.
Cook the dumplings. Add the strips of dumpling dough to the hot broth in the insert pot.
Use the Saute function to keep the broth simmering until the dumplings are cooked and the broth begins to thicken a bit, about 15-20 minutes or so.
Stir the dumplings occasionally as they cook. While theyre cooking, shred or chop the chicken and return it to the insert pot, stirring to combine. Turn off the Saute function when desired consistency is achieved.
The broth will continue to thicken as it cools, but youre welcome to add a cornstarch slurry to the hot broth if you want to speed up the process a bit. Add some salt and pepper to taste, and youre all set!
For Crispy Roasted Chicken
12. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep the whole chicken on that. Brush the chicken with a little oil or butter all over
13. Now broil the skin for 5 mins or till the skin is brown. Or you can grill the chicken in 428 F for 7 mins.
Roasted Whole rotisserie chicken is now ready to devour.
Read Also: Tri Tip Pressure Cooker Recipe
Instant Pot Whole Roast Chicken Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure for more information. Published: Aug 26, 2021
This Instant Pot Whole Roast Chicken recipe shows how to cook a whole chicken in the pressure cooker. Use Duo Crisp or broil for crispy skin after pressure cooking. Your whole family will love this easy chicken recipe, and it’s so much faster than roasting a chicken in the oven!
If you like rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, you can save money and make your own roasted whole chicken in the Instant Pot with this easy recipe. As much as I love making a roast chicken dinner in the Dutch oven, it’s a lot faster in the electric pressure cooker.
This chicken dinner is one of my favorite Instant Pot recipes because you get delicious, flavorful, juicy chicken every time. Plus, you get leftover chicken to use in any recipe that calls for cooked chicken.
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder and herbes de Provence seasoning or Italian seasoning
How To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot:
Prepare Chicken: Separate the skin over the chicken breast using a spoon.
Set up Instant Pot: Place the trivet inside the instant pot and pour in 1 cup chicken broth. Add the chicken breast-side-up and stuff the cavity with garlic cloves and half of the squeezed lemon.
Make Butter Sauce: Combine melted butter with all of the seasonings. Pour half of the mixture under the skin and pour the remaining mixture all over the outside of the chicken.
Pressure Cook Chicken: Cover with the lid, set the lever to sealing position, cook on high pressure for 6 minutes per pound followed by 15-minute natural pressure release before manually releasing remaining pressure.
Broil for Crisp Browned Skin: Transfer chicken to a foiled lined baking sheet, season with more salt, pepper, and paprika and broil in the center of the oven 4-5 minutes or until the desired color is reached.
Also Check: Instant Pot Recall 2019
What Seasoning To Use For Whole Chicken
You can use simple seasoning, like a ready mix for poultry stirred with olive oil. I like to make my own, depending on what flavors I want. This time I made lemon garlic seasoning. I mixed olive oil, fresh garlic, lemon zest, dried celery flakes, paprika and dried onion. After the seasoning is mixed, rub it all over the chicken. Dont forget to pat it dry with a paper towel before applying the seasoning.
Why You’ll Love Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Easy to prepare. Sometimes the thought of cooking a whole chicken can be a little daunting, especially if you have never done it before. But once you give it a try, you might become very hooked. The prep time is minimal just dry and season the bird and pop it into the pressure cooker. Just like our other favorite one pot pressure cooker meals like Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice and Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup.
- Tender, juicy chicken loaded with flavor. When you pressure cook a whole chicken in the instant pot, you guarantee that it will come out tender, juicy, and flavorful from top to bottom. That’s just what happens in the pressure cooker. Plus, this chicken is well seasoned with pantry staples like paprika, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder, and stuffed with fresh herbs and lemon for even more flavor. It tastes as good as it sounds!
- The quickest way to cook chicken. It takes just 25 minutes to cook a whole chicken in the instant pot and 15 minutes to release the pressure. Isn’t that unreal? A whole chicken cooked in way under an hour. You might never pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store again.
- Homemade chicken gravy. When you pull out your juicy cooked rotisserie chicken out of the instant pot, youll notice a beautiful broth left behind. This broth is a blend of chicken drippings, chicken stock, and all the yummy seasonings you added to the chicken. Don’t throw it out! Keep it to make a gravy. Trust me, its worth it.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Says Auto
Lessons Learnt From Our Instant Pot Chicken Experiment
There were a few things that we noticed when cooking whole chicken in the instant pot.
The first was how silly it looked. We cooked it breast side down and the trivet left a big mark on it where it had rested.
Next was not tying up the legs of the whole chicken. If you dont not only will the chicken not be compact during the cooking process, but the meat is likely to fall off the chicken more.
The most tender whole chicken is achieved with a 15 minute natural pressure release. I cant believe the difference with or without it.
First Comes The Chicken Next Comes The Broth
You can get even more bang for your buck by turning your leftover chicken bones into a nutritious and delicious broth.
If youre going to make bone broth save the bones by placing them into a freezer-safe container with a lid or a zip-top bag. They can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or placed in the freezer for longer storage.
We almost always go on to make chicken stock right away heres a tutorial and recipe for that but sometimes we dont have the time so we just toss the bones in the bone bag in the freezer. This bag is also a great place to toss the ends of celery, carrots, and onions so that when youre ready to make stock youre pretty much halfway there.
Donât Miss: How Long To Cook Baby Back Ribs In Instant Pot
You May Like: Insta Pot Burn Food
How To Make Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Season the chicken: Place whole chicken in a large glass bowl and rub with grated garlic all around, inside the cavity and even under the skin where possible. Sprinkle with a mix of paprika, salt and pepper. I just hold chicken onto one leg while doing so.
- Get Instant Pot ready for cooking: Place trivet inside, with or without handles. If you dont have trivet, you can cook chicken without it. The bottom will be more soupy like cooked which is OK. Add 1 cup water.
- Add chicken to the pot: Place seasoned chicken breasts side up on the trivet. 2/3 max fill line is applicable only for liquids. Dont worry if chicken is rising above that.
- Pressure cook chicken: Close the lid and set release valve to Sealing. Press Manual or Pressure Cook on High for 6 minutes per lb. Allow pressure come down naturally on its own. In 6 quart Instant Pot, pin drops by itself after 11-12 minutes.
- Remove chicken by holding onto handles of trivet. If no handles, use 2 long spoons or stick long fork into a cavity.
- Broil in the oven for crispy skin: This step is optional but so good. Place whole chicken on a baking sheet, brush with juices and broil at 500 degrees F for about 5-10 minutes depending on size. Watch closely not to burn.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Fresh Or Frozen
This recipe is the faster way to cook rotisserie chicken in the pressure cooker. The best thing about this recipe is that in case you forgot to thaw the meat, you dont have to worry, you can still cook a delicious dinner. That is the beauty of the IP, you can cook frozen meat like its no big deal.
Learn here How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Pressure Cooker, Frozen Chicken Wings, and Frozen Ground Beef! All these recipes will save you so much time and effort when you are in a hurry to cook dinner.
The pressure cooker rotisserie-style chicken is to die for! The meat is perfectly cooked, juicy, and very tender. To get the skin crispy, just brush the meat with a garlic butter mixture and broil until golden brown. Your family will love this easy, delicious, and budget-friendly meal.
In addition, do you know what makes this recipe the best? We make sure the end result to be flavorful and delicious. Hence, thats why we stuff the bird for extra flavor and also make a buttery mixture used to crisp up the skin.
Read Also: Instant Pot Message Burn
Ip Chicken Recipe Tips
- This pressure cooker chicken recipe uses a simple rotisserie style seasoning mix. Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and oregano. Of course, you can use any seasonings you like. Lemon Pepper, Italian seasoning and smoked paprika are all good options.
- Keep in mind that when cooking pressure cooker recipes it always takes some time for the pot to come to pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, your instant pot will beep. You can do a complete natural release, instead of the 15 minutes I suggest in the recipe however, every time I have done that, the chicken falls off the bone so easily that I always have to be extra careful removing it from the instapot.
- I like buying smaller chickens. I always try to get chickens that are about 4 pounds.
- I rub the chicken with a little bit of olive oil and then the spice mix (I loosen the skin a bit and try to get as much seasoning under the skin as possible. I think the seasoning sticks better to the meat and imparts the most flavor.
- Learn how to cook Instant Pot Chicken Breasts perfectly!
Wondering what to serve with this easy and tasty rotisserie chicken?
What Goes With This Recipe
Okay, so back to the chicken as-is, fresh out of your Instant Pot, fragrant with herbs and garlic, and broiled nice and crispy. What should you serve with this savory entree? Glad you asked! Here are some of my favorite ideas.
- A Creamy Casserole: Try serving your tender Instant Pot chicken with my Creamy Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts Casserole. Its so warm and cozy, and packed with healthy veggies!
- Salad: A light, refreshing salad is perfect with chicken. My Heirloom Tomato Salad is bright, beautiful, and super easy to make!
- Carrots: A side of these Maple Roasted Carrots is always a winning idea! Theyre so simple to roast, and the sweet flavor of maple really adds warmth to an ordinary dinner.
Read Also: How To Cook Dry Pinto Beans In Instant Pot
You May Like: Can You Pressure Cook Tamales
Step One: Prep The Chicken
Before you begin, make sure that your chicken fits in your Instant Pot. As you know, Instant Pots come in different sizes. If you have the smallest one the 3qt version you will only be able to fit a very small chicken in the pot.
With the largest version an 8qt you can likely fit a chicken up to 6 or 7 pounds. A 6-quart Instant Pot, like the one I have, can fit up to a 5-lb chicken, as long as its more plump than long.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Mix up your wet rub and brush it all over the chickens exterior, making sure to get inside the leg and wings.