How Do You Make Instant Pot Lentil Soup
Like many Instant Pot soup recipes, its a two-step process. First, you sauté your veggies in a bit of olive oil onion, carrots, celery, garlic. And include your spices cumin, turmeric, and thyme to really amp up the flavors.
Then, you add your broth and lentils, then place the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to high pressure.
Remove the lid after its done, stir in the spinach, and serve. Thats it!
For the full recipe, including exact measurements and directions, scroll down to the printable at the bottom of the page.
Instant Pot Lentil Soup Recipe Variations
- Red Lentil Soup: I recommend making this soup recipe with green or brown lentils, as they hold their shape best when cooking. If you only have red lentils, you can use them, but know that they will fall apart when cooking, so the texture of your soup will be different.
- French Lentil Soup: For a more classic French lentil soup flavor, you can omit the cumin and smoked paprika and make the soup with French green lentils. For extra flavor, start the soup by sautéing chopped bacon before you add the onion, carrot and celery to the pot.
- Sausage: To add chicken or pork sausage, remove it from the casings and brown the sausage on sauté before adding the onion, carrot and celery to the pot.
- Ground Beef or Ground Turkey: You can also add more protein to this lentil soup with ground beef or ground turkey. Brown the meat using the sauté setting before adding the onion, carrot and celery.
- Ham: You can add diced ham when you add the lentils and tomatoes.
- Beans: If you wish to add beans, I recommend using canned white beans and stirring them in after the soup pressure cooks.
- Potatoes: To add potatoes, cut Yukon gold potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces and add them when you add the dried lentils to the soup. Yukon gold potatoes hold their shape better than Russet potatoes in the pressure cooker.
- Other Greens: You can substitute the fresh spinach with other greens, such as kale or chard. Stir chopped fresh greens into the soup after it cooks.
What Lentils To Use In This Soup Recipe
Green or brown lentils will work best in the recipe. They take about the same time to cook. I used brown lentils today. What about red lentils? I dont advice you to use them in this Instant Pot recipe, because they will cook way too fast, become tender and mushy, while the potatoes may remain undercooked.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Tenders In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Lentil Soup With Spinach
Dated: December 12, 2019Last Modified: March 18, 2022 This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Instant Pot Lentil Soup makes an easy and healthy weeknight dinner recipe! It’s full of carrots and spinach, vegan, and gluten free.
I’ve been on this ‘healthy comfort food’ kick lately and there is nothing that fits that description more than lentil soup. This Lentil Soup is vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free but it’s hearty and comforting at the same time.
When I was in college I frequented and ended up working at a local coffee shop that served a big bowl of homemade soup with sliced bread for $3.00. Customers came from all over campus to take advantage of this amazing deal. One of the most popular items on the menu was the Spinach Lentil Soup.
With deals like that we weren’t forced to live on Ramen noodles and frozen pizza – We ate pretty well during those years of intense study.
Upon trying this Instant Pot version I realized that it tastes EXACTLY like the Spinach Lentil version that I ate so much of during that time in college many years ago.
The flavors must have embedded themselves into my subconscious mind because I started feeling like it was 2002 again and I was sitting in a crowded cafe sipping a cup of coffee eating a big bowl of it.
How To Cook Instant Pot Lentils Soup
- Add veggies: To the Instant Pot or any other electric pressure cooker, add carrots, celery and onion.
- Add everything else: Then add green lentils, diced tomatoes, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, salt, pepper and bouillon cubes + water or veggie stock.
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 18 minutes: Close the lid, set pressure valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual button.
Does yours say pressure cook or manual? Not all Instant Pots are made exactly the same. Depending on the model of your pot, your button might say manual or it might say pressure cook. Not to worry, they mean the exact same thing!
- Release the pressure: You can release the pressure by doing a natural release which takes just under an hour . Or, you can do a quick release by turning the valve to venting and releasing the pressure in about 3-4 minutes.
Tip: Using the quick release method is much faster but there will be a lot of splatters and possibly smell. Sometimes, what I like to do is take it outside and release it there.
- Greens: Now is the time to add spinach or kale.
- Fresh garlic: Nothing brightens up a soup like fresh garlic, says Ukrainian me. There is a huge difference between cooked and fresh garlic flavour. HUGE! You have to trust me on this one because Im the Ukrainian of all Ukrainians.
- Parmesan cheese: Stir and serve soup hot garnished with Parmesan cheese. If you are strict vegan, youll probably skip Parmesan, unless you find vegetarian parmesan.
Also Check: How Much Water In Instant Pot For Ribs
What Kind Of Lentils Are Best
Use any kind of lentils in this soup. It just depends on what consistency and color you prefer!
- Brown and Green Lentils hold their shape and texture well, making them the centerpiece of the soup. These are the lentils you see most often in stores and both tend to have a mild flavor. These are my preferred choice for this soup.
- Red/Yellow Lentils are split meaning that they have been processed into small pieces. They do not hold their shape and almost melt into the soup . Also known as Dahl, they will mix in with the broth and thicken it but arent ideal in this soup!
- Black Beluga and Puy Lentils can be hard to find and are also more expensive. Use these exotic varieties in a salad or as a special dish of their own. Theyre a bit firm and have an earthier flavor.
Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe Notes
- I decided to make a Jamaican-style Lentil Soup, so I used thyme, ginger, allspice, and a little coconut milk.
- I added just enough coconut milk so as not to have a strong coconut taste, you can add more if you love the flavor.
- The flavor was hearty and out of this world. I added some dumplings after I took the photos but didnt include them in the recipe. In Jamaica, we love dumplings in our soup so I added some for my hubby.
- You can check out my Gluten-Free recipe or my new favorite recipe that tastes and have the exact texture of regular white flour Jamaican dumplings is to use Pillsbury gluten-free flour.
- Just add a little salt and water to form a dough, roll it into dumplings, and cook in the soup, might have to add extra water.
- I used water plus 1 vegetable bouillon but you could use all vegetable broth instead and just adjust salt to taste after the soup is done.
- If you want you can saute onion, garlic, green onion, and ginger.
Also Check: How To Cook Noodles In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Soup
This flavorful Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Soup is a crowd-pleaser, it cooks in 15 minutes with hearty lentils, carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic, and thyme.
The search for a fresh soup recipe for the upcoming winter season is over. Try this Instant Pot vegan lentil soup.
After successfully making my Instant Pot Jamaican Rice and Peas, I decided it was time to make this Instant Pot Lentil Soup recipe and it was an amazing win, with perfect taste, and texture on the first try.
On times when I wish dinner would just cook itself, I often make this Instant Pot vegan lentil soup. Once youve completed the chopping, measuring, and sautéing required for this dish, the Instant Pot takes care of the rest. Isnt it incredible?
Its especially impressive given how tasty this Instant Pot vegan lentil soup is. This soup is comforting, and filling, with a savory, tangy taste and an abundance of texture from the lentils and fresh vegetables.
I served it a big bowl of my Kale Salad. I think it gets even better the second day. It also freezes well.
Im in love with my Instant Pot so much that I plan to purchase another one in the near future! One is just not enough and I love that after it cooks the dish, it keeps it warm for hours, I even reheat my dishes right in the Instant Pot.
Why Do I Love This Lentil Soup So Much
- Vegan, Low in calories, Easy to make
- Made with staple ingredients
- Completely utterly cozy and comforting!
- So creamy without adding cream
- It has lots of fibers, and its high in proteins from the lentils
- This soup gets done in less than 30 minutes.
- The spices are highly customizable. You can add any veggies or greens of your choice.
Also Check: How To Cook Chicken And Potatoes In Instant Pot
Making Instant Pot Lentil Soup In Advance
Storing: Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and enjoy a bowl or 2 every day of the week!
Freezing: Lentils freeze beautifully and there are no tender vegetables in this lentil soup either, which means nothing will turn to mush. Well, except the spinach, but we already froze, thawed and cooked it, so its vibrant color is gone anyway. Freeze cooled down soup leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Defrosting: Thaw on a counter overnight before reheating. For quick thawing, place frozen soup into a pot and simmer on low covered, stirring occasionally. It takes a bit of extra time but crap, forgot to take it out of the freezer happens to the best of us!
Are Lentils Good For You
Lentils are edible seeds from a legume family. So many reasons to incorporate lentils in your diet!
- Lentils are a nutrition powerhouse. They are a plant-based source of complex carbs, fiber and whopping 25% of protein.
- According to Healthline, 1 cup of cooked lentils provides 40 grams of carbs, 16 grams of fiber and 18 grams of protein.
- Fiber in lentils helps with regular bowel movements and good bacteria growth in your gut.
- Served with brown rice it is a complete protein which is great for vegetarians, not only for protein but for iron as well.
Recommended Reading: How To Fix Hard Boiled Eggs In Instant Pot
How To Make Lentil Soup
Youll love how simple this recipe is. Its versatile, swap out beef for bacon or sausage add in your favorite veggies!
Garnish and enjoy! A delicious homemade soup ready in under an hour!
Which Lentils To Use For Instant Pot Lentil Soup
That all depends on what kind of lentil soup you want to make a creamy one or a chunky, more rustic one. For a creamy lentil soup, youre going to want to use only red lentils, like I did for myRed Lentil Sweet Potato Soup.
For a chunky, vegetable-style soup like this one, a mix of lentils is the way to go. My favorite lentils are green lentils by far. I mixed them with red for this recipe and added extra legumes in the form of cannellini beans. The red lentils and the cannellini beans make the soup creamy, and the green lentils keep their shape a bit better for that chunky texture.
Also Check: How To Broil Chicken In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Lebanese Lentil Soup
Published: January 11, 2022 By Dhwani Mehta. This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income via ads.
If you like soups where you can feel a burst of citrusy flavors with every spoonful, then this Lebanese lentil soup should be right up your alley.
This Middle Eastern Lentil soup is a Rich, warming, and soul-satisfying soup recipe. It is easy to make, freezes well for later, is naturally vegan, and is gluten-free. It gets ready in under 30 minutes in an Instant pot
You can enjoy a bowl on its own or with some crusty bread or with rice.
I love making lentil soups. I tend to make them more in the fall and winter when I am looking for something warm and hearty.
This Arabic lentil soup is my go-to soup, especially during winter. Its a perfect soup when I want something filling, and something diet-friendly.
This soup is a staple in Lebanese homes. You will also see this soup at most of the Lebanese restaurants on menus.
There are many versions of this soup. Some make it without carrots, others make it the rice. There is no right or wrong way of making it. Make the way your family enjoys it.
I am sharing the basic version. No cream or anything. But I do add some extra spices in there that I like. I always make a big pot of this Mediterranean lentil soup and its on rotation.
This soup is rich, comforting, and delicious and is super healthy with clean, wholesome ingredients!
Ready In 35 Minutes Start To Finish
This vegan lentil soup is for busy weeknights. The times when you are so tired to make dinner, but dont want to settle for another pantry snack meal of crackers, cheese, hummus and maybe some vegetables.
Not with this instant pot lentil soup! Theres little that needs to be done besides chopping up a few vegetables. Add in some dried lentils, a can of tomatoes, some spices and ta-da! Dinner is served.
This one is slightly spicy because I love spicy food but its easily tamed down for those of you who dont either reduce or omit the red pepper flakes.
You May Like: Can You Make Risotto In An Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Lentil Soup
Once you prep your ingredients, this recipe is easy to make. Heres how it goes:
First, sauté the onion, carrots, and celery. Select the Instant Pots Sauté function, and set the time to 8 minutes. Once the Instant Pot preheats, pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the vegetables.
Cooking, stirring, for the 8 minutes, or until the vegetables soften.
Next, pressure cook. Add the kale stems, garlic, tomatoes, lentils, vinegar, thyme, salt, cumin, and several grinds of pepper to the pot. Stir, and pour in the vegetable broth. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, and Pressure Cook on High for 15 minutes.
Finally, stir in the kale, and season to taste! When the Instant Pot has finished pressure cooking, allow it to release pressure naturally. When the float valve drops, remove the lid, stir in the kale leaves and a pinch of red pepper flakes, and season to taste.
Tip: dont forget to remove the thyme bundle before serving!
How Long Does This Soup Take To Cook
*Always be sure to exercise caution when using an Instant Pot. Check out this guide for any questions you may have regarding use of your Instant Pot.
After you have removed the lid stir the soup and add 2-3 cups of roughly chopped spinach .
Stir the spinach into the soup until combined.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Ribs In Instant Pot
How To Serve Instant Pot Lentil Soup
This soup is amazing on its own. Its satisfying, filling and full of flavor. But it also goes very well with:
- Bread crusty French bread, Italian bread, or your favorite type of bread!
- Crackers saltiness anyone?
- Croutons make your own homemade croutons at home, theyre SO simple to make! I have a great croutons recipe if you want to check it out.
- Air Fryer grilled cheese when paired with soup, its a match made in heaven!
- Air Fryer parmesan chicken for a complete meal.
- Breadsticks these Olive Garden breadsticks are amazing!
- Pasta salad for a tasty soup and salad combination that is so filling and satisfying!
I hope that you enjoy this instant pot lentil soup as much as I do! Thank you so much for stopping by to check out my recipe. Happy cooking and stay warm!
If you try this recipe, please dont forget to rate it and share a picture on social media, tagging #NourishPlate in your posts. I would really love to see your creations. Bon appetit!