How To Cook Barley In An Instant Pot
You only need barley and water to cook barley in a pressure cooker. I also recommend adding a little salt and oil for the best flavor and fluffy texture. Heres how to do it.
How To Serve Barley
While barley is a fantastic addition to soups, there are plenty of other ways to serve this deliciously chewy grain. Herere just a few ideas:
- Toss them in salads for an additional texture and nutrients.
- Serve it as a simple side dish, in place of rice. My personal favorite is to serve it with beef stew!
- Barley is great in stir fries, like fried rice!
- You can also make risotto with barley!!!
Making Barley Water With Flour
Some people prefer to make barley water with readily available flour since there is no wastage, cost effective and it can be prepared quickly. However the nutrition level of the barley water made with flour is different.
If you prefer to make barley water with flour, use super fine flour. Mix 1 teaspoon flour with 1 ¼ cups water and boil on a medium heat until it reduces to 1 cup. Strain it and drink. It will be like a thin porridge.
You May Like: Why Does Instant Pot Say Burn
Tips & Tricks For Cooking The Best Barley You’ve Ever Eaten
- Use the 1 tablespoon of oil/ghee/coconut oil etc. that I ask you to use. It keeps the grains from sticking and makes it a lot less likely to cook up into a sticky clump. Sometimes, I use bacon instead because, bacon!
- Salt the barley before cooking. This lets the salt penetrate into the grain and lends a LOT of flavor.
- Let the barley steam for 10 minutes after it is cooked. This is cooking time and allows the grains to continue to get softer, without becoming water-logged.
- Fluff the barley with a fork before serving. This allows the grains to separate further, and makes them nicer to present and to eat.
- Use Stock instead of water. I love using chicken stock for cooking barley. It’s also why I made a Chicken and Barley Stew that I think you’ll enjoy.
Is Instant Pot Barley Slimy
This is a legitimate question that lots of people ask about barley! Barley can become a bit slimy or gelatinous because its quite starchy. I find that this is especially the case with pearled barley, or barley cooked in too much liquid. To combat the slime factor, rinse your barley extremely well before cooking it. Then drain and optionally rinse your barley again after cooking.
I dont usually rinse my barley after cooking it, personally, but you should definitely drain off the small amount of starchy liquid left over after cooking if youre sensitive to it. This will play a huge role in the barley slime factor.
Some recipes recommend adding oil to prevent sticking, but theres really no need for oil in basic cooked barleyjust rinse the barley after cooking if you think the starchiness will bother you!
Recommended Reading: What Is C7 On Instant Pot
Here Is How To Cook Arborio Rice In Instant Pot
- Arborio rice loves water and will drink it right up. Aim for a minimum 1:2 ratio of rice to water, so for every two cups of rice, use around four cups of water. However, we found that we get the best results with just a little more liquid, so think 1:2.5 ratio more stewy, restaurant-style risotto.
- Like any other rice, using a broth to cook is ideal especially when the rice is the star of the dish as in a risotto.
- How long to cook arborio rice in Instant Pot? Weve made a few various recipes and concluded that 5 minutes on HIGH pressure with quick-release gives you best texture rice without overcooking it. While its not as delicate as on the stovetop, its still a process! Stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese at the end!
- Get creative with additions to your risotto: pumpkin, beets, lemon, herbs, tomatoes, chorizo etc. The sky is the limit, and this dish truly offers something up every season.
- Arborio rice can also be used to make delicious, nourishing, and comforting rice pudding.
Does Barley Need To Be Cooked Before Adding It To Soup
As with most grains, its a good idea to rinse barley before cooking, especially if youre adding it directly to a soup or stew. If you want to add gray barley to a soup or stew, but you dont want the barley to thicken, cook it separately first. Boil in water for 20-30 minutes and let rise before using.
Step By Step Instructions
- Start the barley in the Instant Pot – Add the olive oil to the pressure cooker set to manual for 18 or 23 minutes . Add the barley and onion. Saute until it smells a bit toasty. Add the liquid and salt. Lock the lid in place.
- Prep the remaining ingredients – While the barley cooks, dice the ham . Chop any fresh herbs and/or scallions.
- Release the pressure – When the pressure cooker completes the cooking cycle, do a quick pressure release for pearl barley, or a slow release for hulled barley. Check for doneness. We like firm rather than mushy. If you’ve got a lot of liquid in the pan, you may wish to drain most or all of it. Return the pot to saute, and add the diced ham if using. Saute stirring occasionally while preparing the eggs.
- Prepare the eggs – Prepare your eggs your favorite way. When the eggs are ready, add the greens to the pot, and stir to combine. You just want to wilt the greens.
- To Serve: Scoop the barley mixture into shallow bowls. Top with an egg cooked to your preference. Garnish as desired with Aleppo pepper , fresh ground pepper, fresh herbs, scallions, etc. Enjoy!
I cooked my pearl barley 18 minutes in the pressure cooker with half water and half broth. After a quick pressure release I added some fresh baby kale, small diced turkey ham, gave it a good stir on the sauté setting to heat the ham and wilt the greens, and topped it with a boiled egg . And just because I can, I finished it with Aleppo pepper and my Peruvian sal de Maras.
Here Is How To Cook Bulgur Wheat In Instant Pot
- Use two cups of liquid for one cup of bulgur wheat .
- For reliable results, use the rice function on your pot and cook on low pressure for 12 minutes, followed up by a quick release of pressure.
- You can substitute water for chicken or vegetable broth if youre using the bulgur for a savoury dish.
- Add in some butter and spices for a creamier and more flavourful end result.
1 package cracked freekeh
Don’t Miss: Is It Safe To Put Aluminum Foil In Instant Pot
Is Pearl Barley The Same
Potted barley is simply barley with only the outer inedible husk removed, giving it a very nutty flavor. Pearl barley is more refined, both peeled and polished, and therefore less nutritious. Potted barley takes a good 50 minutes in a stew, but it adds a lot to the diet and is great in cold weather.
Is There A Difference Between Pearl Barley And Pearl Barley
A potted barley is simply barley from which only the outer, inedible bark has been removed, giving it a nutty flavor. Pearl barley is more refined, both peeled and polished, and therefore less nutritious. Potted barley lasts a good 50 minutes in a stew, but it adds a lot to the diet and is great in cold weather.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Barley
Below is a picture guide to cooking instant pot barley, directions for cooking on the stove are in the recipe card further down the page.
Step 1: To make instant pot barley, start by adding 2 ½ cups water and 1 cup barley to the Instant Pot.
Step 2: Lock the lid in place and check that the pressure valve is closed. Set high pressure cook for 20 minutes.
Step 3: When the pressure cook time ends, allow the Instant Pot to release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Then carefully open the pressure valve to allow the rest of the pressure and steam to release by using a towel to cover your hand or using a long utensil to move it so you avoid burns.
Remove the lid and stir up the barley. Use cooked barley to make salads and pilafs or add to soups.
How To Store The Lunch Jars
The jars will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days if stored in an airtight container.
The most important thing to know about storing these jars is to make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature or colder before you add them to the jar. If you add hot barley to a jar and top it with vegetables, it will wilt the vegetables. Not good!
You cannot freeze these jars. There is too much air in them to freeze correctly.
Recommended Reading: Frozen Pork Loin Filet Instant Pot
How To Make A Rich And Flavorful Vegetable Barley Soup
It’s not difficult to make a rich and flavorful plant based vegetable soup. The key: build flavor by sauteeing the veggies. This isn’t a dump and start IP recipe. You want to bring all that great flavor out of the veggies and then let everything simmer with the barley. First, brown the onions, then saute the rest of the veggies with the browned onions. Mmmm….
Using a mire poix will build the base of the flavor that you’re looking for. Adding earthy mushrooms will give you that umami flavor while the bay leaves will brighten up the soup just enough to keep it from being too heavy and flat.
I definitely suggest finding a vegetable broth that you love. My favorite is the Better Than Bouillon organic seasoned vegetable base. It’s a concentrated base that you add hot water to. Perfect for soups because you can add as much or as little of the concentrate as you want, so it doesn’t just taste like veggie stock.
Flavorful vegan soups you will love:
Store Bought Vs Homemade
In many parts of the world, barley water can be found commercially bottled. Mexico, Australia, England, and many parts of Asia have embraced this drink as a health tonic. In many places it is enjoyed as a refreshing cold drink over ice.
In Singapore, barley water is the most consumed beverage due to the hot and humid climate throughout the year. It is a staple in many households & is pretty much available everywhere from cafes to hawker centers.
Of course it is possible to purchase premade barley water in cans or bottles. While this is rather convenient, these versions are often sweetened and considerably more expensive than the cost of making it at home.
The bottom line is that making it yourself will yield a beverage that is free of additives and preservatives. Beyond that, you are able to create a drink that suits your taste, giving you the opportunity to control the amount of sugar.
You can also adjust the flavor with the addition of lemon or other aromatics that contribute great flavor and health benefits. Best of all, you can make it at home quite easily and affordably, giving you the ability to control the quality, flavor, and freshness of this amazing health drink.
You May Like: Why Does My Instant Pot Keep Saying Burn
How To Cook Barley In Instant Pot
Close your instant pot and set the steam release valve to sealing.Combine pearl barley, water and salt in the instant pot.Cook pearl barley on high pressure for 20 minutes or cook pot barley.Cook the barley for 20 minutes on high heat.
Fluff the barley with a fork, then serve it.For each cup of dried barley:For every cup of barley, add 3 cups of water.Full of flavorful beef broth,.
Here is how to cook barley in instant pot.How to cook perfect instant pot barley.How to make instant pot barley and lentil pilaf.If unsure, go with 1:30 ratio.
If youre pressed for time and perform a quick release, the meat.In a large pot, bring water and a pinch of salt to a boil, just like you would with traditional pasta.Instant pot beef & barley stew.It is a mushroom barley soup.
It pairs very well with a side soup that fulfills the protein part of a balanced meal.Make sure the sealing ring is in place.Make sure the water does not get onto the barley and fill the sink.Make sure to rinse barley first before adding to liquid in the instant pot.
Measure 2½ cups water or broth My recipe calls for pearled barley in an instant pot recipe.Place 1 cup barley, 1 cup water or stock, 1 tablespoon oil/butter/ghee/coconut oil, and 1 teaspoon salt into the inner liner of your instant pot.Pour in olive oil and add minced onion.
You will have a lot of condensate on the lid.
How Long Barley Soup Takes To Cook In Instant Pot
According to Instant Pot manual whole grain barley takes around 20-25 min on high pressure. Overcooking the barley in the soup results in a starchy and thick consistency. Therefore I cook the barley on high pressure for 20 min and release the pressure manually as soon as pressure cooking is over. If you let the pressure release naturally, the barley gets overcooked which you may not like.
Read Also: Cooking Frozen Food In Instant Pot
Do You Have To Soak Barley Before Cooking
You dont have to soak barley before cooking it to prepare a batch of delicious fluffy barley. In fact, I prefer barley that was cooked from dry because its chewier.
However, many people still prefer to presoak barley to make it easier to digest.
If you soak barley overnight, keep in mind that it will absorb some of the water, so you will need less liquid to cook it. I find that reducing the amount of cooking liquid by about 15% works quite well. For example, if the instructions call for 3 cups of water, add 2.5 cups of water instead.
The cooking time should also be reduced by about 10 minutes.
How To Cook Barley In The Oven
Baking barley in the oven is just like cooking it on the stovetop using the absorption method. It results in nice fluffy barley.
Keep in mind that just like on the stovetop, barley can foam in the oven and spillover, so choose a baking dish with a high rim.
- 1 cup pearl or pot barley, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups hot water or stock
- pinch of salt
How To Cook Pasta In Instant Pot
- For every 4 oz. of pasta you cook, use two cups of water.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil or butter for every 4 oz. of pasta you use.
- If youre cooking pasta in sauce in your pot, simply substitute water for the sauce. Make sure to use some of both, though!
- Make sure to read the cooking instructions for the type of pasta youre using. You can simply convert that time to Instant Pot time by halving it, minus 1 minute and using HIGH pressure. Finish up with a quick release. For example, if penne pasta needs 9 minutes of cooking time, you can use this calculation -1=4 minutes.
Instant Pot Wild Rice
This includes any harvest grain blends or black rice youd like to cook, too. Basically, any type of rice that doesnt fit into the above categories can be cooked per these instructions. Wild rice is a fun way to mix things up! It is undoubtedly the rice blend that takes the longest to cook, even in the Instant Pot, but its worth it for all the beautiful colours and variety of flavour. Naturally, it takes much longer to cook on the stove, so youre winning either way.
- For two cups of wild rice, use about five cups of water or broth.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes at HIGH pressure and follow up with a natural release.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Float Valve Not Rising