Tips For The Perfect Dish
- It may seem counterintuitive to stop the cooking process towards the end to add the vegetables, but trust me, its worth the extra effort. The carrots and potatoes only take about 10 minutes to cook, so if you leave them in the pot for the time it takes for the roast to get tender, theyll be overly soft.
- This dish will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and can be frozen for 2 months.
- I typically use red or yellow baby potatoes, but you can also use larger potatoes cut into quarters.
- If you dont want to use wine in your dish, simply add a little more beef broth instead.
What Is The Best Meat For Beef Bourguignon
Since this dish is really a beef stew at its core, what you want to get a cut that works well being cooked slow and low . That being said, I like to use chuck beef, but the shoulder, shin, or any braising cut will work. If youre not sure, ask the butcher at your grocery store meat counter or go to an actual butcher who specializes in knowing which cuts of meat work best for every kind of dish.
Mississippi Pot Roast Instant Pot
That recipe is entirely different:
Read Also: How To Put Instant Pot On High Pressure
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 If desired, cut the beef into bite-size pieces, discarding fat and cartilage if necessary. Return beef to the mixture in the insert and serve.
- tip 2 Leftover beef from this Instant Pot® roast recipe makes a great sandwich, especially with a creamy horseradish spread.
- tip 3 Be sure to stir in the cornstarch mixture gently since the vegetables will be very tender.
- tip 4 Wondering what to do with your pressure cooker roast leftovers? Try our recipe for Roast Beef Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions, It’s the perfect lunch follow-up.
- tip 5 You can also enjoy any leftovers from this Instant Pot® beef roast recipe as a delicious Pot Roast Casserole with a clever shortcut using Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes.
What If My Pot Roast Is Tough
If after cooking the pot roast, it is still tough, all you need to do is cook it longer. If the beef is still tough, it just needs more time for the braise to do its magic and break down the connective tissues in the beef.
Since we are using a pressure cooker, if after our suggested cook time, the beef is not as tender as youd like, you will need to place the lid back onto the pot, seal it, and then cook at high pressure for additional time .
You May Like: How Long To Cook Red Potatoes In Instant Pot
Why Use An Instant Pot
Have you joined the instant pot craze??
I put it off, like I usually do with new kitchen gadgets, because I was afraid it was a funky trend that would fizzle out but after friends raving non stop about theirs, I broke down and got myself one.
Im obsessed! Where has this thing been all of my life?
And just to clear things up, I say Instant Pot because thats the brand that I own and is most familiar with everyone, but these recipes are not sponsored by the brand in any way and any pressure cooker will do just fine! I dont care what brand it is, just get your hands on one pronto. Its seriously takes one pot cooking to a whole new level of awesome.
Make Gravy & Serve Instant Pot Roast
Taste the sauce one last time and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Mix 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water, then mix it into the yummy pot roast gravy one third at a time until desired thickness.
Then, slice the pot roast against the grain. High five your family!
Serve this Easy Instant Pot Umami Pot Roast and Potatoes with Gravy, and enjoy this umami filled dish youve just cooked!
Don’t Miss: Turkey Breast Instant Pot
Instant Pot Vs Crock Pot
I think chuck roasts are especially easy to cook in the Instant Pot. Unlike a crock pot that often allows too much moisture to escape through the lid, the Instant Pot locks in the juices of whatever meat youre cooking. Im not saying dont use a crock pot or slow cooker, but I definitely prefer the Instant Pot to a Crock Pot.
Instant Pot Pot Roast With Potatoes And Carrots
A classic meat and potatoes meal. “I usually make a pot roast in the slow cooker, but the Instant Pot made the meat so tasty,” says Lela. “The roast was very tender and flavorful. It takes about 20 minutes to prep, 60 minutes to cook, and 20 minutes to cool down — allow 15 minutes more for the gravy.”
Read Also: How Long To Cook Beans In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Beef Recipes
There’s nothing better than Instant Pot Beef Recipes!
My favorite dessert to serve with roast beef recipes is this mini pavlova recipe. It’s the perfect ending to a great meal.
Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy instant pot pot roast recipe, made with simple ingredients. The meat is so tender and melts in your mouth and loaded with Italian herbs.
My family loves homemade meals and this homemade instant pot pot roast is the ultimate comfort meal.
The meat is cooked so well that it just falls apart. Its just as popular as some of my other roasts:
Don’t Miss: Can You Cook Spaghetti In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe Tips
- Dont skip the natural release time. Allowing the pressure to naturally release makes the meat more tender.
- Be sure to follow the recipe directions to pressure cook the chuck roast on its own first before adding the potatoes and carrots. While it may be tempting to add the vegetables at the very beginning to save a step, dont. If you pressure cook your potatoes and carrots for an hour they are going to be overcooked and mushy.
- A fresh 3 pound roast will need to pressure cook for 60 minutes at high pressure before adding the vegetables. If your roast is larger, add 10 minutes per pound to the cook time.
- If you prefer to serve your pot roast with mashed potatoes, you can omit the baby potatoes from this recipe. Try my Mashed Potatoes or Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipes.
- If youd like to substitute baby carrots for the chopped whole carrots just know that they will turn out very soft, since they cook more quickly than regular carrots.
Best Ever Instant Pot Roast
Seeing as the thing I primarily cook in is called an Instant Pot , I figured it was about time I honored its name and cooked one of the greatest things it can possibly transform: A POT ROAST! .
Now Ive gotta tell you folks, this isnt just any pot roast. This is the KING of pot roasts! Seriously. Cast any all-day simmering fashions aside. Everything about this is perfection from the tender and rich meat to the abundance of vegetables to the most incredible, deep and rich burgundy gravy of a sauce thats going to have you sopping up every last ounce. A massive feast of a meal made all at once in one pot!
Oh, and ITS SUPER EASY TO MAKE! But hey, dont take my word for it let the photos and video speak for themselves!
Heres How I Made It!:
Begin with a couple of yellow onions
and slice em up longways into thick-ish wedges like this.
Now take a chuck or rump roast and set it on the counter.
Its time to make our amazing seasonings. Mix together some kosher salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary, onion powder and garlic powder
and then lay it on a plate
so that we can easily rub the entire roast in it
making sure all the edges are fully coated in the seasonings.
Now lets go to the Instant Pot and add in some olive oil
and give it some heat for a few moments.
Place the roast in the heated oil in the pot and sear it for about a minute on one side
..and then flip it over so both sides get some searing love.
You May Like: Pasta Recipe Instant Pot
Best Ever Instant Pot Pot Roast
Looking for the BEST Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe? Youve found it! This pot roast recipe is tender, flavorful and the perfect one-pot meal.
Suitable for Keto, Paleo, Whole30 and gluten-free dieters. Recipe also includes Weight Watchers points.
This Instant Pot Roast is soooo good. Fall-off-the-bone meat, stock seasoned to perfection and loaded with carrots and mushrooms. And in only a fraction of the time as the traditional roast. #happydaysright?
It is an absolutely delicious, dreamy anytime comfort dinner and also makes a simple but memorable addition to Easter dinner or Thanksgiving dinner. Your guests will looove being greeted by the smell of this pressure cooker pot roast.
Have I mentioned its also the easiest one-pot meal ever??
- Quick and easy it is super easy to cook for lunches, Sunday dinner and more.
- Filling this tender roast a hearty and satisfying meal loved by the whole family.
- One pot minimal prep and fuss-free.
- Great For meal prep you can store in the fridge to eat the next day or two.
- Dietary suitable for gluten free and dairy free diets.
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast
So, with all that background in mind, I have found that there are a few key tips to making a good Instant Pot roast.
- Start with good tried and true cut of meat. So, use a chuck roast. In a pinch a round roast might suffice.
- Use a good amount of flavoring. In my case I cook in beef broth and use Montreal Steak seasoning, onion soup mix, and bay leaves.
- Pressure cook the roast for at least 20 minutes per pound.
- Natural release, preferably a full natural release, but if impatient, try to get at least 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook the vegetables separately to avoid mushy veggies.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Directions For Roast
Cooking Time For Instant Pot Pot Roast
The Instant Pot website lists the cooking time for small chunks of beef roast at 15-20 minutes per 450 grams or 1 pound and large chunks at 20-25 minutes per 450 grams or 1 pound. I prefer roasting a large roast that is not cut into chunks to avoid accidentally overcooking or drying it. That also assures that the collagen is spread through the whole roast. I cook at 25 minutes per pound and typically use a three pound roast. So 75 minutes is about perfect for that. You will see some suggest 90 minutes for any roast, but I have seen reports of overcooked roasts with that length of time, and a generic time that does not consider the weight of the roast is not very helpful. However, overcooking usually wont harm things too much other than causing a loss of flavor and some drying.
Very small roasts can be tricky. I suggest adding more time, even perhaps doubling it, than the normal 20-25 minutes per pound for a small roast.
Natural Release is also key to a good Instant Pot roast. If impatient, give the natural release at least 15 minutes. My full natural release took 25 minutes. Doing so helps lock in the juices and keep the meat moist. It seems that many times when a person reports getting a tough roast they either pressure cooked it for too short of a time, or they used quick release. So, once quick release is used, your 3 pound roast will actually take longer, around 100 minutes.
Instant Pot Roast Recipes Beef
What should I make for dinner tonight? This might just be the number one question that we ask ourselves almost daily over here.
Then you have come to the right place, we have rounded up 21 instant pot roast recipes beef that we have shared over the years.
Plus, there is such a variety of flavours in these recipes, so you are sure to find something for you. Most of these recipes are quick and easy ones made especially for busy weeknights.
Recommended Reading: Do I Need An Instant Pot
Best Instant Pot Roast Beef
Is there anything more comforting than pot roast? Not only is it the ultimate trip down memory lane, but nothing else is as cozy and warm as a beautiful, shred-with-a-fork roast. My Instant Pot recipe uses simple, budget-friendly ingredients. It’s perfect for serving your family or entertaining guests!
This easy pot roast recipe saves time and keeps you from having your oven on for half the day. Instead, you only need just over an hourto complete the dish, and I guarantee your meat will come out as juicy and tender as if it were in the oven all day!
If you’re worried your pot roast will lose flavor in a pressure cooker, trust me, it won’t! The pressure from the Instant Pot intensifies the flavors and blends them together wonderfully. My other favorite roast beef recipe is my Mississippi Pot Roast. It is so hard for my family to choose between these two recipes.
Instant Pot Roast Gravy
Making gravy in the Instant Pot is a breeze. The easiest method is to remove the pot roast and vegetables when they are done cooking then switch the cook setting to saute. If there arent enough beef drippings to make a gravy, add some beef broth. Combine a little water and some corn starch in a liquid measuring cup to form a cornstarch slurry. When the drippings and broth start to simmer, whisk in the cornstarch mixture a little at a time until it becomes a gravy consistency. Simmer about 3 minutes adding more beef broth to thin if needed. Add salt, black pepper, and a little garlic powder to taste.
Also Check: How Long For Chicken In Instant Pot
How Do You Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
To cook a beef roast in an instant pot, follow these simple steps!
Thats all there is to it! Now read on to find out what people have to say about this revolutionary way to cook your favorite Sunday dish, the famous Pot Roast.
How Do You Add Flavor To Pot Roast
A seriously delicious pot roast seasoning mix is one of the reasons this recipe is so special. This mixture of dried herbs and spices adds a TON of flavor to both the roast and the gravy. Many other pot roast recipes are under seasoned resulting in a bland, flavorless roast.
The amounts called for in the recipe will make exactly the amount of seasoning needed. It can be mixed up in advance and stored in an airtight container to save time.
Read Also: How To Boil Eggs Instant Pot
Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Cooking Juices Are Gold
Spoon some of the delicious leftover cooking juices on the cooked beef after you place it in a serving dish. This keeps the beef moist and also adds flavor. In addition, you can serve the remaining juices in a gravy boat. My kiddos and husband like to pour the juice over the top of their mashed potatoes, veggies, etc. â whatever else Iâm serving with the beef. Trust me, itâs drool-worthy!
Traditional Pot Roast V Instant Pot Pot Roast
It seems like every time a person asks in a social media group for an Instant Pot roast beef recipe, a fair number of people chime in telling people not to do it and asserting that the best roast will always come from traditional methods. I think there is a valid basis for that in that I personally believe that a good roast cooked low and slow for many hours will always be the superior product. BUT Instant Pot pot roast can be nearly the same and done in less time. For a person without access to an oven or who wants a quicker version, the Instant Pot is a great way to make roast beef.
Also Check: How To Saute Vegetables In An Instant Pot
Cook The Roast And Vegetables
- Use the sauté function on your Instant Pot to sear the seasoned beef chunks in a little olive oil in batches. Set the seared beef aside and sauté the diced onion and garlic. Add the tomato paste, a little red wine, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Flavor baby! Return the seared chunks of beef to the pot and tuck them down into the cooking liquid.
- Next, layer the carrots and potatoes on top of the meat so that they are not completely immersed in liquid. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release of pressure for 10 minutes and then press the steam release handle to release any remaining pressure.
Because the beef has been cut down and will cook much faster, you can add the carrots and potatoes at the beginning of the cooking process. This means the pot only needs to come to pressure and release pressure once and saves you about 15 to 20 minutes.