Here Are Some Tips And Tricks For Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot:
- The exact cook time will depend on how large the chicken breasts are, although for me 10-12 minutes has always been plenty. This means that when I open up the pot they are well over the safe 165 degrees F. But Id rather be safe than have to go through the hassle of sealing it back up and letting it build the pressure back up.
- If youre in a rush, you can simply add water or chicken broth and season with salt and pepper, but feel free to get a little crazy with your seasonings here. Barbecue sauce, soy sauce, honey, different herbs and spices will all be fantastic
- All of my Instant Pot recipes are tested in the 6 quart Instant Pot with Bluetooth. The bluetooth is an unnecessary but handy tool because I can control the pot from my phone while Im out of the kitchen.
- If you want to jazz up your Instant Pot chicken breasts, try these Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts and serve them with the sauce over pasta you wont regret it! You can also use frozen chicken to make this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice.
- Looking for an easy side dish to go along with it? Try my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese so easy and so quick!
Why Make A Roast Chicken In The Instant Pot
- It is faster than cooking a whole chicken in the oven. You can make roast chicken for dinner on a weeknight!
- Pressure cooking makes the chicken so juicy, tender and flavorful!
- You can safely cook a frozen whole chicken in your Instant Pot no thawing required!
For all of you Instant Pot fans, I have more delicious recipes and resources to help you get quick and healthy meals on your table! If you are just getting started with your pressure cooker, read my Instant Pot manual. Then check out these easy Instant Pot recipes to help you meal plan:
How Long To Cook Chicken In A Pressure Cooker
People have been asking me how long to cook chicken breast in a pressure cooker for making various amounts of shredded chicken. And thats such a great question!
Surprisingly, I couldnt find this information anywhere, not even from Instant Pot directly. I had tested my original recipe with 4 pounds, but what if you have 1, 2, 3 or 5 pounds of chicken instead?
Lucky for you, I did the testing myself! After a couple tests with each weight amount and over 20 pounds of shredded chicken later , I have your answers.
The chart below shows you exactly how long to cook Instant Pot chicken breast, so you can make it for any amount you have from one to five pounds of chicken breast!
|Amount of Chicken Breast by Weight||Instant Pot Cook Time|
|5 lb||10 minutes|
Note that these are the times you enter on your Instant Pot, and dont include time required to build pressure.
A couple more notes about this
You May Like: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
While this tutorial focuses on cooking fresh chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, you can easily achieve the same results with frozen chicken breasts using this technique. Just make sure to add 5 additional minutes of cooking time when using frozen chicken breasts. And be sure the breasts are separated before cooking. For more details, learn step-by-step how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
Is It Safe To Cook Frozen Chicken In The Instant Pot
Yes, as long as you do it correctly.
If you use the pressure cooking function not slow cooker and ensure that the chicken reaches the minimum safe internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it should be safe, Yule says.
Frozen chicken naturally takes longer to cook, because it first has to thaw out before the actual cooking process starts. Thats why the FDA warns against putting frozen chicken in a slow cooker, because it keeps the chicken in the bacterial danger zone for too long.
Pressure cooking, however, takes approximately 30 percent less time than traditional methods because it traps the moisture that would normally evaporate while cooking on the stovetop or in the oven.
This speeds up the chemical processes that happen during cooking, so your food reaches safe temperatures faster.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Top Tips For Making Instant Pot Chicken And Rice
- Parmesan cheese is optional for this recipe, but we definitely recommend it! Fresh Parm will make this taste more like risotto, but if you are out, you can use a shredded cheese, like cheddar.
- We used plain white rice for this recipe. Brown rice is not recommended since it would take about 10 minutes longer, which would overcook the chicken.
- You must follow the directions exactly for releasing the pressure. Leaving it too long will result in overcooked rice and a potentially gluey texture. Make sure you manually release pressure after 2 minutes of natural pressure release!
- This recipe does not make a soupy or stewy chicken and rice, but a thick and creamy risotto-like recipe. If youre looking for something that isnt thick and creamy, this isnt the recipe for you!
What Size Of Instant Pot Should I Use
You can cook chicken breasts in whatever size instant pot you have. Just make sure you add at least 1 cup of liquid, and then place the chicken in the pot in a single layer. If you have a smaller instant pot, simply cook your chicken in batches so you can keep it in single layers. If you have a larger instant pot, keep in mind it will take a little longer for your instant pot to come to pressure before cooking begins.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Shred the chicken with forks or a hand mixer and freeze it in individual bags to easily add to any weeknight dinner. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Or, chop the chicken and refrigerate to add to lunches throughout the week.
Recipes for leftover cooked chicken:
Recommended Reading: Cooking Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
How To Make Juicy Boneless Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
The key to getting perfectly juicy boneless chicken breasts is to cook them on a trivet, above the liquid. I find that this results in a better texture than cooking them on the bottom of the pot.
I also think their texture is best when you quickly release the pressure, rather than letting it naturally release.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
I tend to cook skinless boneless breasts most often, simply for the ease of it. And my method is so simple its scary:
Once the pressure cooker has finished the 10 minutes cooking time, simply flick the quick release the lever , allow the steam to escape, and use tongs to pull the chicken straight from the pot to a cutting board to shred, slice or dice for whatever means youre it preparing for.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
The Best Basic Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe
Versatile and simple, this Instant Pot chicken breast recipe results in super tender, moist and flavorful chicken breasts in just about 20 minutes! You can use the lightly seasoned chicken breasts as the base of a super straightforward, healthy mealsometimes a simple, spartan dinner of chicken breast and salad is exactly what the doctor ordered. Or, treat this recipe as a no-brainer do-every-week chicken breast recipe for your weekend meal prep session . The cooked chicken breasts will keep beautifully in the fridge for about 4 days, which means youll have plenty of time to use them to bulk up lunch salads, as the foundation of some easy dinners, or even in sandwiches throughout the week ahead. Grab your Instant Pot and lets cook some chicken!
How Do You Cook Fresh Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
If your chicken is not frozen, you will use the same cook times and method described above. The only difference is that you will do a quick pressure release instead of a 10 minute natural release. The quick pressure release will stop the cooking process faster than a natural release.
To do a quick pressure release, as soon as the cook time ends, use the handle of a long spoon to carefully turn the steam release valve to the venting position. Once steam stops coming out and the float valve drops down, open the Instant Pot lid. Use an instant read thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked through to a safe 165 degrees F.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Burns
Additions To Instant Pot Chicken Breast
The seasoning and ingredients to make poached chicken can vary depending on your use. Typically I use onion, garlic and ginger. You can also use the following seasoning and ingredients:
- Bay leaves
- Greek spice blend
- Dried oregano and lemon
Don’t be shy with the spices and add one tablespoon of each when poaching chicken breast. Make sure the spices are fresh and haven’t been sitting in the cabinet for ages since they tend to lose their aroma and flavor after a while.
Tips For Cooking Chicken In The Instant Pot
- In order for the 6 quart Instant Pot to work, it needs a minimum of 1 cup of liquid. If you have an 8 quart Instant Pot, it needs at least 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
- Because chicken breast is so easy to overcook, we always use the quick release method. Quick release is when you turn the pressure release valve to open or venting at the completion of the cooking cycle. This forces the steam to release from the Instant Pot quickly.
- Do not stack chicken when cooking in the Instant Pot. It will cook unevenly. This is especially true for frozen chicken. Try to spread it out evenly along the bottom as much as you can.
- Use a meat thermometer like the one we recommend here to determine doneness. All poultry must cook to the safe temperature of 165°F internally . But, you dont want to cook it longer than that and get dried out.
- If cooking chicken from frozen, make sure to read our post about how to prepare and cook freezer meals in the Instant Pot. Seriously, dont skip it.
- If you have more questions about the Instant Pot, swing by and browse Instant Pot 101.
Read Also: How To Delay Start Instant Pot
If Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In Instant Pot
If your chicken breasts are frozen, you dont have to defrost the chicken, the Instant Pot will do the work for you. The chicken cooks best if the chicken breasts arent in a block, but individually frozen instead.
If you have a larger block of chicken, allow for more cooking time .
Chicken Breast Instant Pot Cook Times
BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
Fresh Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 8 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 10-ounce boneless chicken breasts
Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 12 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 10-ounce boneless chicken breasts
BONE-IN CHICKEN BREASTS
Fresh Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- 10 minutes, natural release for 5 minutes
- Based on 12-ounce bone-in chicken breasts
Frozen Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- 25 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 12-ounce bone-in chicken breasts
You May Like: How Long To Cook Ham In Instant Pot
How To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In An Instant Pot
Cooking frozen chicken thighs in the Instant Pot requires no defrosting at all. Follow the simple steps below to take your chicken from frozen to phenomenal.
- Brown the Onions: Use the sauté option on the Instant Pot to brown the onion rings until they turn golden brown.
- Pop the Frozen Chicken In: Place the frozen chicken thighs on top of the onion. Season each thigh generously on both sides.
- Seal and Cook: Seal the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure do a natural release for an additional 15 minutes. Once the pressure pin drops, open the pot. Serve and enjoy!
Invest in a meat thermometer. Take the guesswork out of making chicken in the Instant Pot by investing in a meat thermometer. Chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
Quick And Easy Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts
The instant pot is the best way to cook frozen chicken breast. It turns out so juicy and delicious. If you forgot to thaw your chicken, then this Instant Pot frozen chicken breast recipe is perfect for you.
So if youve been wondering, can you Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts? The answer is yes, and the chicken will turn out juicy and flavorful.
Cooking frozen chicken can be quick and easy. Im kinda addicted to how easy it is.
Our favorite way to season the frozen chicken breasts before cooking is with this homemade all purpose seasoning blend. It pumps up the flavor of the chicken.
Before we cook, lets go over the tips first.
You May Like: Turkey Tenderloin Instant Pot
Here Are The Cooking Times For Chicken Thighs In The Instant Pot:
- Bone-in skin-on thighs are great. Youll be setting the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 12 minutes with about 6-8 thighs in there. Note that you should remove the skin before serving. It will be limp.
- Bone-in skinless thighs are also going to go for 12 minutes for 8 thighs.
- Boneless skinless thighs only need 10 minutes for 8-10 thighs.
- Frozen thighs of any kind: Freeze them individually, not in a big clump. Do everything as instructed but use your frozen thighs. For 8 frozen thighs of any type, go with 14 minutes.
Here are the instructions for cooking chicken thighs in the Instant Pot in printable form.
Ways To Use Cooked Chicken
The cooked chicken can be used in any recipe that calls for precooked chicken. Shred, slice, or cube it as needed, then use it however you like!
Tuck a few slices of chicken into a sourdough sandwich, or top a salad to make a light lunch. Toss cubed chicken into a soup or pasta dish. Mix shredded chicken with BBQ sauce or hot sauce for sliders or tacos.
Recommended Reading: What Is C7 On Instant Pot
Perfect Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Today, Im going to show you how to make perfectly juicy boneless chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, to make the process as easy as possible. Theyre great to have on hand when you want to add protein to a salad or stir fry.
Since I cook so many vegetarian entrees, its nice to have pre-cooked chicken on hand when my husband wants some extra protein added to his portion.
If youre like me, and dont love handling raw meat, youll probably love the Instant Pot as much as do because you barely have to touch the chicken to cook it.
How To Cook Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
Cooking times are based on 1-2 pounds of medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
We found that chicken breast is at a safe cooking temperature after about 7 minutes using a quick release method. We always use the manual function . If the chicken breast is a bit on the larger size, add another minute or two. If its on the smaller size, subtract a minute.
Tip: These 7 Chicken Marinade Recipes all have Instant Pot cooking instructions. Try them out!
Don’t Miss: How To Install Instant Pot Sealing Ring
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Cook the chicken as the recipe directs.
- Once cook time has elapsed and pressure has been released, remove the chicken breast from the instant pot and place it into a large mixing bowl along with ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Shred the chicken, using two forks, a handheld mixer at medium speed, or a stand mixer at low speed. Alternatively, you can shred the chicken right in the inner pot of your instant pot using 2 forks or a handheld mixer.