How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Place chicken breasts in the inner pot of the instant pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1 cup pineapple juice or chicken stock and season with minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Place lid on instant pot and be sure vent knob is pointed towards sealed.
- Set pressure cooker to the cooking time based on the size of chicken breasts. NOT how many chicken breasts you are cooking.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release of pressure. This is key to keeping your chicken breasts tenderdont be tempted to do a quick release of pressure.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the liquid and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving or shredding.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
One: Make Sure Your Chicken Fits
Don’t laugh! If your chicken is larger than your pressure cooker you will be cursing up a storm you can’t make Instant Pot Roasted chicken–if your chicken does not fit into your pressure cooker just use my oven-roasted chicken recipe.
I have a 6 quart Instant Pot and I have made as large as a 5 ½ pound whole chicken. And this is the time when you can refer to Max fill line on your instant pot. If you remember, in my Instant Pot 101, I told you not to fill more than & frac23 full when pressure cooking–this is the exception to that rule .
Benefits Of Cooking Rotisserie Chicken In The Instant Pot
- One of the best things about cooking in an Instant Pot is that you can cook meats like chicken from fresh or frozen. If you like me, tend to forget to thaw out meat for dinner, the Instant Pot is going to be the solution to many of your meals!
- This pressure cooker whole chicken recipe is so versatile! The simple homemade spice rub can be adjusted to your taste or simply use your favorite seasoning mix.
- Making Instant Pot Whole Chicken requires minimal effort and always turns out juicy, tender and full of flavor!
- Chicken is a budget friendly meal and when cooking a whole chicken, there are usually leftovers to prepare a second meal.
- Homemade Rotisserie chicken is so much healthier and flavorful than store bought. You can control the quality of the ingredients and the amount of sodium and fats!
Also Check: How To Wash Instant Pot Lid In Dishwasher
Step One: Prep The Chicken
Before you begin, make sure that your chicken fits in your Instant Pot. As you know, Instant Pots come in different sizes. If you have the smallest one the 3qt version you will only be able to fit a very small chicken in the pot.
With the largest version an 8qt you can likely fit a chicken up to 6 or 7 pounds. A 6-quart Instant Pot, like the one I have, can fit up to a 5-lb chicken, as long as its more plump than long.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Mix up your wet rub and brush it all over the chickens exterior, making sure to get inside the leg and wings.
What Is Natural Pressure Release
A Natural Pressure Release means that the pressure is released gradually. For a Natural Pressure Release, you click on Keep Warm, and wait 10-15 minutes , after which you open the valve and let any leftover pressure release. Another option is to Turn Off/Unplug the IP, wait 10-15 minutes , and after that open the valve.
A natural release is usually used when cooking soups, meat in a large amount of sauce, pasta, or steel-cut oats. This method prevents any foam from the dish to shoot out through the valve, which can happen during a Quick Pressure Release.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Cook Time
Cooking time varies with size of chicken. Below is a simple cooking time guide:1.5kg – Manual pressure cook 25 minutes then 5 minutes natural pressure release.1.8kg – Manual pressure cook 28 minutes then 5 minutes natural pressure release.2kg – 30 minutes manual pressure cook and 5 minutes natural pressure release.
For food safety compliance, it’s important you check that the internal temperature of the chicken is atleast 165F . To ensure this, check by using meat thermomether.
Step Two: Prep The Instant Pot
The Instant Pot comes with a metal trivet that you can place at the bottom of the metal pot to raise the food up off the bottom. This is an occasion where you will want to use the trivet. Place it in the bottom of the pot.
Pour one cup of water into the bottom of the pot. You may need to use 1.5 or 2 cups if you have an 8-quart pot. The water should just come up to the top of the trivet.
Place the seasoned chicken on top of the trivet and close the lid of the Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is on seal. Set the pressure cooker to the appropriate number of minutes needed for your size of chicken.
- 1 lb = 6 minutes
- 5 lb = 30 minutes
Also Check: Instant Pot L000
How To Achieve Crispy Skin
When cooking whole chickens in the pressure cooker, the chicken skin will not have a chance to crisp up. For me, that is not a problem because I remove the skin before eating the chicken or use it in recipes that call for pre-cooked chicken. BUT if you would like crispy skin on this chicken, you can either opt to broil your chicken or use an air fryer lid to crisp up the skin.
- Broiling Option: Cook the chicken as directed in your pressure cooker. After removing the chicken from your instant pot, transfer it to a baking sheet. Brush with oil and place under broiler for 2-4 minutes, watching closely as to not burn the chicken.
- Air Fryer Lid Option: After pressure cooking, use an air fryer lid on your pressure cooker to crisp up the skin. Set to 400 degrees and air fry for 3-4 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
Ingredients In Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
This recipe is very easy to customize. Feel free to get creative and use your favorite herbs and seasonings! Try out a dry rub if you want to reduce calories. Keep scrolling for the full recipe and ingredient amounts.
For this recipe youll need:
- Whole chicken I used a 3 lb chicken and used some twine to tie the ends of the legs together.
- Butter I always use unsalted butter to have more control over the amount of sodium in my chicken.
- Herbs Use fresh herbs if possible! They make a wonderful difference. I used thyme and rosemary. If you use dried herbs, cut the amounts called for in half.
- Garlic I love to use lots of garlic! You can use as much or as little as you like.
- Lemon zest I have a microplane to get perfect and tiny lemon zest. It really brightens up the flavors.
- Salt & pepper Season as per your own preference.
- Chicken broth We need liquid to build up pressure. You can use any broth you have handy or even water.
Recommended Reading: Avajaneskitchen
Instant Pot Chicken Legs
> > Learn more about the Instant Pot and decide if you should get one
I love cooking in the Instant Pot. Its so much faster than the oven and it doesnt require heating up the house to do it. This recipe is so simple, and it results in the most tender chicken legs youve ever had.
Chicken legs are inexpensive and easy to make. I always keep chicken legs in my freezer, because theyre so versatile. They can actually be put directly from the freezer into the Instant Pot and it only takes an additional 2 minutes to cook.
If you have an Instant Pot, you know how quick the process is. If you dont yet have an Instant Pot, look over this post to see the benefits and reasons I think its the best tool in my kitchen.
I often make chicken drumsticks and chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, as well. And believe it or not, you can actually cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot. Give it a try!
Chicken legs need to cook for at least 45 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. During the summer thats just not something Im prepared to do. It heats up the house so much. No thanks.
In the Instant Pot, it takes just 12 minutes, plus the pressurizing time. In just 25 minutes, dinner is ready and the house is still nice and cool.
HAVE AN INSTANT POT OR CONSIDERING ONE?
*Youll also receive new recipes from us each week.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Ways To Use Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
I usually rub this roast chicken with rotisserie spices or lemon pepper seasoning for a burst of flavor. However, sometimes I season it more simply with just salt and pepper so that it has a more neutral flavor that can be used in:
- Tacos or burritos
Also, if you have leftovers, you can shred and freeze them for easy weeknight meals later on.
Also Check: How To Cook Venison Roast In An Instant Pot
So Whats An Instant Pot
I have the Duo Plus 9 in 1 Instant Pot and this is the one that this recipe has been tested in. The Duo Plus replaces 9 commonly used kitchen appliances Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Porridge Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake/Egg Maker, Sauté/Searing, Steam, Warm and Sterilize. Its quite the multi-use product! For more info on the Instant Pot, check out my What is an Instant Pot FAQ here!
RELATED: want more Instant Pot Recipes? Check out this Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Styled Meatballs Recipe + Video
Juicy And Flavorful Chicken Ready In No Time
It’s no secret that rotisserie chicken is the key to making meal time easier. Save yourself time by adding leftover rotisserie chicken to meals throughout the week, or serve it all at once with some quick and easy side dishes for a meal that will feed the whole family. But before you head to the grocery store to pick up a rotisserie chicken, consider cooking a whole chicken yourself. This allows you to control the flavors and seasonings used on your chicken. The Instant Pot makes it so that you can cook a whole chicken in under an hour with only five minutes of prep work. Read on for step-by-step instructions on how to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, plus more ways to use leftover chicken.
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot: Step-by-Step
Learn how to season, sear, and cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, based on Instant Pot® Lemon Rotisserie Chicken recipe.
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
Ways to Use Leftover Chicken
Read Also: Steam Tamales In Ninja Foodi
Tools Youll Need To Make This Instant Pot Chicken Recipe:
- My recipes are tested in my 6 quart Instant Pot its an older version and for this reason the manual lists 1 cup of liquid as the minimum. I know that the 8 quarts and some of the newer ones list different requirements. For this recipe, you can easily change the liquid to match your manuals suggestion.
- Theres really not much else youll need! I know everyone has different thoughts on cooking meat on or off the trivet, but with chicken breasts I usually place them on the bottom in the liquid.
Pin this recipe to save for later
How To Cook Chicken Legs In The Instant Pot
Youll need the trivet that came with the Instant Pot. If you dont have one, you can set the chicken directly in the pot. I like the texture of the chicken more when its on the trivet. Its more tender and less water-logged, for lack of a better descriptor.
Seasoning the chicken legs before cooking adds a ton of flavor. I season almost everything with my homemade dry rub. You can find the recipe at that link. Its fine to season with seasoning salt or just salt and pepper.
Pour a cup of hot chicken broth into the base of the pot. Add the trivet. Then place the legs evenly on the trivet. This recipe is for just 2 servings, but you can make as many chicken legs as you need, just stack them up.
Close the lid and seal the vent. Press the pressure cook button and set the time to 10 minutes. After this, allow natural pressure release for 5 minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure.
You can cook frozen chicken legs in the Instant Pot, if youve forgotten or havent had time to thaw in advance. If youre cooking these chicken legs from frozen, youll need to give them 14 minutes of cook time, and I also sometimes extend the pressure release to 8 minutes.
Be sure to visit our Instant Pot Guide for more tips and great recipes!
At this point, you can serve the chicken legs as is. They are nicely seasoned and tasty. Or you can brush them with BBQ sauce , buffalo sauce, or a glaze, like this delicious honey sriracha sauce.
Recommended Reading: How To Steam Kale In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipe With Whole Chicken
Teach your children to read with this Sight Word Bundle. Thanks for visiting!
Learn where to shop for Mommy & Me Matching Looks with this Mom and Me Guide to Shopping Online. Thanks for visiting!
One of my families favorite recipes is this pressure cooker chicken soup. I started by making this soup in a large stock pot, but life is so much easier now that I can make Instant Pot Chicken Soup instead. This is actually one of the few recipes that my daughter will eat. She just loves soup all year round.
I make this Instant Pot Chicken Soup a few times per month and even more during flu season. Chicken Soup somehow helps keep everyone healthy during flu season.
Did You Make This Recipe
Tag on Instagram
Send Me Free Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love Instant Pot and Crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below. This is a free service! Try it out. Youll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that Ive linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Yogurt In Electric Pressure Cooker
Tips For Cooking Chicken In The Instant Pot
- In order for the 6 quart Instant Pot to work, it needs a minimum of 1 cup of liquid. If you have an 8 quart Instant Pot, it needs at least 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
- Because chicken breast is so easy to overcook, we always use the quick release method. Quick release is when you turn the pressure release valve to open or venting at the completion of the cooking cycle. This forces the steam to release from the Instant Pot quickly.
- Do not stack chicken when cooking in the Instant Pot. It will cook unevenly. This is especially true for frozen chicken. Try to spread it out evenly along the bottom as much as you can.
- Use a meat thermometer like the one we recommend here to determine doneness. All poultry must cook to the safe temperature of 165°F internally . But, you dont want to cook it longer than that and get dried out.
- If cooking chicken from frozen, make sure to read our post about how to prepare and cook freezer meals in the Instant Pot. Seriously, dont skip it.
- If you have more questions about the Instant Pot, swing by and browse Instant Pot 101.
Is Pressure Cooking Chicken Healthy
The fact is that the science shows pressure cooking is healthy, that it can preserve more heat-sensitive nutrients than any other cooking method because of its shorter cook times. The fact is that the difference it creates in the boiling point of water is well within the range of a normal difference on this planet.
Read Also: Instant Pot Troubleshooting Food Burn
Tips On Making The Perfect Instant Pot Chicken
- If you have time, season your whole raw chicken and refrigerate for an hour before cooking
- Season the outside and inside of the chicken for maximum flavour
- Do not quick release once the countdown is done, let it release the pressure naturally
- Every pound of chicken should be cooked 6 minutes under pressure this chicken was 3.8lbs so to make it easy, I cooked the chicken in the Instant Pot for 24 minutes.