Do I Need To Use A Trivet
If you have the trivet that the instant pot comes with, it is best to cook the breasts in a layer on top of it. This will ensure the chicken is steamed and kept juicy instead of boiling in the liquid. But, if you are without a trivet, putting the chicken breasts directly into the liquid will work just fine, or you can make a rope of aluminum foil and use that as a make-shift rack on the bottom of the pot.
Chicken And Rice Soup Recipe
Chicken and rice soup is one of those meals that I crave when the temperatures drop or when one of the seasons pesky colds or coughs takes hold. No matter how much hand washing and Vitamin C popping we do, at least one virus manages to sweep through the family each year. Homemade soup recipes are the best tonic as soon as the sneezing and sniffling starts.
Out comes the Instant Pot for some chicken rice soup love! And why do I like making this soup in the Instant Pot as opposed to using the stovetop?
Two wordschopping chicken. We all have those tasks in the kitchen that we despise, right? One of mine is cutting up chicken to be sautéed. Its a completely irrational pet peeve and usually I just suck it up and do it anyways, but if I have an option to avoid it, Im definitely taking the easy route!
Putting the chicken breasts in whole and having the option to use frozen chicken breasts makes my life a whole lot easier. Plus, it means I can make this soup for dinner, even if I havent remembered to defrost some chicken breasts earlier in the day.
Common Questions & Answers
Some common questions and answers about this Instant Pot Chicken Soup recipe.
Can this soup be made with chicken breast? Absolutely! However, the soup wont be nearly as flavorful. Youll also want to make adjustments to the cooking time because chicken breasts wont take as long to cook. While Ive not made this soup with chicken breasts, I would suggest that the cooking time be adjusted to 10-15 minutes.
What herbs and spices go in chicken soup? This recipe keeps it simple. I only use garlic, turmeric, Italian seasoning, and ground black pepper and the flavor is so wonderful. Some other herbs and spices that you could experiment with are oregano, basil, thyme, and lemongrass. For a little extra boost of flavor, add a splash of vinegar or lemon. And, to spice things up, a couple of drops of tabasco or your favorite hot sauce would do the trick.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Hamburger Meat In The Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Bone Broth:
It might sound intimidating, but bone broth is truly so simple to make in your Instant Pot. Each step is explained in more detail below, but heres the game-plan:
Here Are Some Tips And Tricks For Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot:
- The exact cook time will depend on how large the chicken breasts are, although for me 10-12 minutes has always been plenty. This means that when I open up the pot they are well over the safe 165 degrees F. But Id rather be safe than have to go through the hassle of sealing it back up and letting it build the pressure back up.
- If youre in a rush, you can simply add water or chicken broth and season with salt and pepper, but feel free to get a little crazy with your seasonings here. Barbecue sauce, soy sauce, honey, different herbs and spices will all be fantastic
- All of my Instant Pot recipes are tested in the 6 quart Instant Pot with Bluetooth. The bluetooth is an unnecessary but handy tool because I can control the pot from my phone while Im out of the kitchen.
- If you want to jazz up your Instant Pot chicken breasts, try these Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts and serve them with the sauce over pasta you wont regret it! You can also use frozen chicken to make this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice.
- Looking for an easy side dish to go along with it? Try my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese so easy and so quick!
Don’t Miss: How To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
Can You Simmer Soup In An Instant Pot
Instant electric pot cookers can be used to simmer different types of food. According to research, the right temperature range for simmering food in an instant pot is about 180 F to 205 F at sea level. Some of the common foods that can be simmered are vegetables, soups, tough meat and rice among many others.
How Long To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Cook a fresh chicken for 6 minutes per pound. This means that a 4 pound chicken will take 24 minutes to cook, a 4.5 pound chicken will take 27 minutes, and a 5 pound bird will take 30 minutes, at high pressure.
- Follow the cook time with a 15 minute natural release. This means just leave your Instant Pot alone for 15 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to the venting position before opening the lid.
- Always use an instant read thermometer to check that your chicken has reached a safe internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F. You want to insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the leg, not touching the bone. Using the Instant Pot to cook a whole chicken is pretty foolproof, and mine has always been perfectly cooked and juicy after pressure cooking for 6 minutes per pound.
Read Also: Instant Pot Burn Code
A Note About The Chicken In This Recipe
You can cook a whole chicken in your Instant Pot in 25 minutes and have lots of budget-friendly chicken meat for the freezer. You can pull out a cup or two when you want to make your soup and just dump it right in.
If youre running short on time and dont have time to cook a whole chicken , shred a rotisserie chicken and use a portion of the meat.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Stock And Bone Broth
- If using a metal strainer insert , place inside instant pot.
- Place bones of leftover roasted chicken in Instant Pot or strainer.
- Place scraps of carrots, celery, onions, or full vegetables in Instant Pot or strainer.
- Season with salt and herbs.
- Cover with water.;Be careful NOT to overfill Instant Pot. You do not want to fill your instant pot more than two-thirds of the way full. It is okay if the bones and stock are not fully covered.;
- Place lid on pressure cooker and be sure vent knob is pointed towards sealed.
- Cook on High Pressure for 45 minutes for chicken stock and 120 minutes on high pressure for bone broth.
- Allow Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for AT LEAST 30 minutes, before releasing pressure manually.
- Strain chicken stock using strainer insert or over a large bowl using a strainer.
- Cool before transferring to storage containers.
- Once cooled, refrigerate until fully cooled.
- If desired, skim off any fat with a spoon and discard.
- Store in the fridge for 7 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Also Check: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipe
Heather Dessinger This post contains affiliate links.
When life gives you pressure, cook with it. < Im not sure where I heard that saying for the first time, but its been my motto since I picked up my beloved;Instant Pot last December. Seriously, my IP has become almost like a friend I even took it on vacation with me. I did not, however, plop it next to me on the beach and hand it a coconut pineapple popsicle, so I guess you could say the IP is a better friend to me than I am to it.
Now, Ill admit that when it first arrived on my doorstep I wondered if it would be easier to, say, build a time machine or earn a doctorate in theoretical physics;than figure it out, but fortunately its;much easier to use than I expected. Some friends shared a few tried-and-true recipes to help me get the hang of things, and its been saving dinner ever since!
Today, I want to share one of my favorite tried-and-true recipes with you.
This recipe for belly warming chicken soup was declared one of the most satisfying and flavorful ever by my husband, and it was so easy to make! I found it in;Dr. Karen Lees ebook, Easy Instant Pot Paleo Recipes,;and she graciously gave me permission to share it with you. If youre looking for delicious ways to simplify mealtimes, I highly recommend you pick up a copy.
Here are some;recipes Ive made and loved:
From left to right: BBQ Chicken Drumsticks , Chicken Garam Masala , and the Chicken Soup Ill be sharing with you today.
Can You Cook Pasta In The Instant Pot
Absolutely, I frequently cook;Instant Pot Mac and Cheese, its easy and wonderful. In the mac and cheese recipe, the pasta is cooked in the Instant Pot under pressure.
In this recipe, the Instant Pot cooks the chicken and veggies under pressure however it is used to boil the pasta using the saute setting at the end. While the noodles could be cooked under pressure in this recipe, the chicken and noodles need different cook times and the Instant Pot takes a lot of time to come up to pressure.
Read Also: Instant Pot Sucks
How To Make Instant Pot Bone Broth
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Making bone broth in your Instant Pot is easy, economical, and healthy. Its a great way to stretch your food dollar and provide your body with a boost of nutrients and protein. In this post, we show you step-by-step how to make Instant Pot Bone Broth.
This post was originally published on February 16th, 2017. Updated on February 8th, 2021.
This post may contain affiliate links that wont change your price but will share some commission.
Do You Cook Rice Before Adding To Soup
- Nope! The uncooked rice is added at the same time as the broth and raw chicken breasts.
- This is a huge timesaver, especially since this recipe calls for brown rice. If you had to cook the brown rice ahead of time, that would require an additional 40 minutes or so. Another win for pressure cookers!
- Brown rice and chicken breasts have very similar cooking times when prepared in the Instant Pot, so the timing works out perfectly. I suggest sticking to brown rice in this recipe because white rice would become very overcooked.
- As the brown rice cooks and releases its starches, it produces a wonderfully creamy texture in this soup. Creamy without the cream!
You May Like: Vegan Hoppin John Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
For this chicken soup recipe, I cooked four frozen chicken breasts with one cup of water for 10 minutes on manual.
Then I let the steam vent and removed the chicken and drained the water.
I chopped the chicken up and set it aside.
Then I put in butter on the saute setting and added the veggies and sauteed them for 5 minutes.
Next, I put in the chicken, and then add;eight cups of pre-made chicken broth.
Finished with seasonings and noodles.
Then I put the top on and set the Instant Pot to the soup setting, reducing the time to 4 minutes.
Once the time was up, I released the steam with the quick release valve and lunch was done.
This chicken noodle soup was so flavorful. It was the perfect pick me up that Id been looking for.
This chicken soup recipe make a whole pot of soup. It feeds our family of four an entire meal, and leaves plenty of leftovers for another day. It freezes well so I usually put leftover soup in a container in the freezer to have another day.
Im certainly going to make it again. Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is a new family favorite.
Best Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
This homemade instant pot chicken noodle soup will be warm and ready on your table in under 30 minutes. It’s made with tender chicken thighs, fresh herbs and al dente noodles. You can even use frozen chicken!
Sometimes you just want a warm and cozy bowl of soup. Maybe you’re under the weather or you’re just craving a cup of soup to go with the cold temps. Either way, this instant pot chicken noodle soup recipe will make you feel all the warm and cozy feels .
This post is going to teach you everything you need to know about cooking chicken noodle soup in the instant pot!
Read Also: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
How To Freeze Bone Broth:
- Freeze broth in silicone muffin cups or ice cube trays
- Once broth blocks are solid, remove them from the tray and store the blocks in a ziplock bag or other freezer-friendly sealed container in your freezer.
- When youre ready to use, simply remove the amount you need and reheat on the stove or in the microwave, or throw frozen blocks directly in soups for a flavor boost.
Should I Cover Soup While Cooking
You may cook your soup covered or uncovered depending on the outcome you want. Leaving the lid off will make liquid evaporate faster, potentially creating a thicker and more flavorful soup. I always cook my soups uncovered, keep an eye on them, and adjust ingredients as needed through a low and long cooking process.
You May Like: Convert Slow Cooker To Pressure Cooker
Why Make Chicken Noodle Soup In The Instant Pot
Over the last handful of years, Ive come to learn the art of making flavorful, delicious soup.
A flavorful soup begins with a veggie medley added to a perfectly hot pot with some melted butter. The flavors are sautéed together to create the building blocks for a delicious soup. This is why the sauté feature on the Instant Pot sold me. Sure, I was intrigued by friends making meals in minutes versus hours, but Ill admit that I was skeptical on how the flavor would turn out. When I learned that I could still layer my flavors and make a fast meal, I was sold.
As much as I truly adore cooking, there are those days or stretches of weeks where projects are due and I;just dont have the time to be standing by the stove all day. My Instant Pot has made it possible to still put;nourishing, real food on the table despite crazy schedules. Todays recipe uses the Instant Pot to make a nourishing meal in under 15 minutes, from start to finish.
Instant Pot Wonton Soup
The time has come for me to make one of the singular most greatest soups on this planet and do it my way. And that is going to be one of the most wonderful, comforting, yet light soups one can slurp: Wonton Soup.
This classic Chinese staple is as good as soup gets: a delightfully tasty, yet simple and light broth adorned with wonderful, delicate meat-like pillows knows as wontons. And lets not forget a few stunning greens caressing the wontons as well as some strands of chicken floating in the broth and then topped with some crunchy noodles!
Or, if you wish to forego a typical over-the-top description of a recipe like the one above:;ITS DARN GOOD.
Youre going to be able to make this either in your;Instant Pot;or just as simply on the stove. Forget the bland broth and clunky wontons with meat the size of a Skittle. Were talking perfect wontons in a broth so beautiful, it will be one of the most legit, perfect and flavorful wonton soups youve ever enjoyed rivaling even the best of NYC Chinese restaurants. AND, its surprisingly easy to make!
Heres How I Made It!:;
Well begin by making our wonton filling by taking a shallot
and dicing it up finely.
Take a bunch of scallions
and slice them up and then divide them into 1/3 and 2/3rd groups.
Take the smaller, 1/3 group and finely chop it up
while reserving the larger, sliced 2/3rds for later.
Take some shiitake mushrooms and remove the stems
and , finely chop those up too.
What Kind Of Chicken To Use In The Instant Pot
I use a whole chicken for my soup for a few reasons:
- First, its the most economical way to go.
- Second, I like having a mix of white and dark meat.
- Third, all of the bones and cartilage help to create a rich, nourishing broth.
You can also use any mix of bone-in drumsticks, thighs, or breast meat. Remove the skin if you like, but I like a little bit of rendered chicken fat in my soup!