Instructions With Step By Step Pics:
Rinse the rice 3 to 4 times, until water runs clear. Drain the water and set a side.
1 & 2- To make the sofrito to a blender add the onion, garlic, green and red bell pepper, jalapeno and cilantro. Pulse it few times to make a puree. This mixture will give about 1.5 cups of sofrito.
3 To make the rice Press saute mode in your instant pot and add the oil. Once the oil gets hot, add the sofrito puree and saute for 4-5 minutes. Some of the moisture will be absorbed and the the mixture will look dark green.
4 Add the tomato paste, sazon goya and salt and saute for 30 45 seconds.
5 Add the washed rice and coat the rice with the sofrito mixture. Cook for a minute.
6 Add the water and cooked black beans. Give a mix and taste the broth and adjust the salt.
Cancel the saute mode, secure the lid and adjust the vent to sealing position.
7 Cook on high for 5 minutes and wait for the pressure to release naturally.
8 Fluff the rice with a fork and cover it with a glass lid for 2-3 minutes. Finally add some lemon juice and serve.
Unlike Mexican rice, Puerto rican rice is not spicy, but the taste and flavor rather comes from sofrito and sazon goya.
Every household has there own way of making Puerto Rican rice . This is my version slightly altered from my friends recipe.
Traditionally the rice is cooked in a pot called caldero, but here I am using Instant pot.
How To Make Instant Pot Black Beans & Brown Rice
Now that we have gathered our ingredients it is time to make this Instant Pot Beans and Rice, all you must do is follow the easy steps below.
Add your ingredients to the Instant Pot liner and stir.
Close the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
Press Manual or Pressure Cook button, set to high, for 30 minutes.
Once your Instant Pot is done, allow to Natural Release for 10 minutes.
Quick release and let the pressure out.
Your Instant Pot Black Beans and Brown Rice is ready to serve!
Instant Pot Black Beans & Rice With Fresh Avocado Salsa Recipe
If I had a dollar for each time I stood in front of my fridge or pantry, staring blankly and wondering what to make for dinnerwell, I would have enough money to go out for a fancy meal! Its those days that Im grateful about my bordering-on-obsessive need to stock my pantry with staple items such as rice and beans.
Black beans and rice are a fantastic base for using up leftovers . Sometimes we pile on shredded chicken or grilled shrimp, and other times we tuck the mixture inside of burritos. But the beauty of a simple plate of beans and rice is that they can be a hearty vegetarian meal all on their own. Top them with a fresh avocado salsa and you have an easy, healthy meal thats packed with protein and fiber.
If you caught my recipe for Korean BBQ Lettuce Wraps with Avocado Sauce last month, you know that I have a thing for iconic California recipes. And really, whats more California than a fresh salsa made with creamy, flavorful California avocados? While this light and fresh salsa is the perfect foil for a hearty plate of black beans and rice, its equally good served on shrimp tacos, piled on top of grilled salmon or chicken, or served alongside a bowl of tortilla chips. And since California avocados are now in season, we will be making this salsa as often as we can over the next several months!
Read Also: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How To Make A Freezer Meal
;In a gallon size Ziplock bag, add all ingredients except water finishing with tomatoes on top. Let as much air out as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months.;Pressure cook on High from frozen for 22 minutes with Quick Release.
Pressure Cooker Beans And Rice
OK, this healthy Instant Pot rice and beans recipe is a weeknight dinner saver! Its like Instant Pot black beans meet Instant Pot brown rice and cook together in one pot in 22 minutes. There is barely any chopping required and I will slap your hands if you soak the beans just like with Instant Pot baked beans, I repeat, you do not need to soak!
You May Like: Instant Pot Burning Food
What Are Cuban Rice And Beans
One of the first recipes I learned to make was a Cuban-style authentic black bean recipe. I needed a recipe to bring to my high school Spanish class pot-luck.
My cousins wife, a Cuban-American, taught me the recipe when I was 16, which was a long time ago. Since then, Ive made a version of the recipe dozens and dozens of times. All by memory.;
In the past, I always made it with canned black beans and served it over white rice. You can check out a version of this recipe with our Chipotle Style Black Beans recipe.;
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe:
- Basmati Rice we love Basmati rice for the Instant Pot. Cooks light and fluffy every time.
- Broth we used vegetable broth made from Better Than Bouillon. It keeps in the fridge for a very long time and easily lets you make broth as you need it!
- Scallions more subtle flavor than regular onions. The white part has more onion flavor than the green, so use both parts or just the green part as you like.
- Garlic pre-minced garlic is our go-to for easy cooking. Substitute 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and add with the other spices if you dont have fresh garlic.
- Black Beans canned black beans are a healthy and easy way to get your protein. We rinsed and drained our beans to keep the rice fluffy.
- Diced Tomatoes adds fresh flavor and color.
- Mild Green Chilies add a little heat with a can of chopped mild green chilies.
- Spices Cumin and Cayenne. Cayenne is very spicyfor less heat, add less cayenne.
First, use the saute function on the Instant Pot to heat your oil. Then cook the onions and garlic. Keep stirring while they cook. it only takes a few minutes. Now add the dry rice, broth and spices, set the Instant Pot to 4 minutes on High Pressure, close the vent and wait for the rice to cook. Youll want to do a 10 minute natural release of the steamthis lets the rice finish cooking to the perfect texture.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
Can You Freeze Beans And Rice
This Mexican rice and beans freeze well. Freeze in single-portion containers for easy last-minute lunches, or freeze all at once in a large container. Place in the fridge to thaw at least 24 hours before you plan to use it or; thaw it in the microwave or on the stove. You can freeze rice and beans for up to three months.;
Add Cilantro And Stir
- Stir gently. Dont attack Instant Pot black beans and rice recipe with a wooden spoon at 100 miles per hour. Husbands are known for that. Stir gently.
- I see some liquid. My beans are dry. Dont panic, just stir. Stirring should take care of extra liquid. If beans or rice is a teeny weeny crunchy, close the lid and let sit for 10 minutes. It will get there.
- Dont forget to add a small bunch of finely chopped cilantro. It changes everything!
Don’t Miss: Convert Slow Cooker To Instant Pot
Looking For More Easy Recipes
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot Red Lentil Curry with Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Quinoa Taco Salad
- Vegetarian Black Bean Enchiladas
Did you makethis recipe? You can leave a star rating in the recipe card or a review down in the section. I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow along on my , , , and or sign up for my newsletter!
Instant Pot Black Rice
Learn how to make perfectly tender, nutrient-rich;black rice;in 30 minutes with the;Instant Pot.
Have you ever tried cooking black rice in your Instant Pot? If not, it’s time to give it a try and add this naturally gluten-free grain into your cooking.
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Tips And Tricks For Making Instant Pot Rice And Beans
- Don’t like it spicy? Eliminate the jalapeno, or reduce the amount used for less spice.
- If you don’t have time to soak the black beans overnight, simply soak them for an hour in hot water before cooking.
- Don’t forget to remove the bay leaves at the end of pressure cooking. They’re good for infusing flavor, but not so much for eating.
Tips For Making Instant Pot Rice And Beans
- I dont have an Instant Pot, but I have a similar type of pressure cooker. As long as you have one that allows you to saute before cooking, any model should work just fine. I also had a friend test this in an Instant Pot to be sure the cooking time was the same!
- I recommend using low-sodium vegetable broth so you can control the saltiness after cooking. The Not-Chickn broth from Edward & Sons is my favorite.
- If your beans are still a little firm after cooking, put the lid back on for 10 minutes and let them continue to soften.
This is also a very budget-friendly recipe since dried beans and rice are incredibly cheap. If you have an onion and bell pepper on hand, youre in luck! They make a delicious topping.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Yogurt In Instant Pot Without Yogurt Button
Why Does This Instant Pot Rice And Beans Recipe Use Brown Rice
A traditional Cuban Black Beans and Rice recipeactually cooks the rice and the beans separately so that the rice is white and the beans are black. But since I can be a bit of a lazy cook, I adapted the recipe with brown rice.
- Cooking time. To cook black bean recipes properly in this Instant Pot recipe, you need at least thirty minutes. White rice only takes about four minutes at high pressure to cook, so it would be impossible to cook them together at the same time.
- Less steps. I wanted to cook this in one step instead of two, I mixed them together in my Instant Pot, used brown rice instead of white, and came up with this lovely Cuban black beans recipe that’s my signature lazy/efficient way of cooking.
How Do You Make Instant Pot Black Beans And Rice
Take the following steps to make this Instant Pot recipe:
Recommended Reading: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Can I Use A Different Type Of Rice
The brand;of rice, the;variety of rice and of course your personal preference with regards to;consistency;and the;altitude. So my personal preference is perfectly cooked;al dente rice, where each grain is separate. You can use Basmati Rice or jasmine rice but the time will change check this how to cook perfect basmati rice, jasmine rice, brown rice postto get the timing.;;
Did You Make This Recipe
We’d love to see it! Tag us and use #MyPlantBasedFamily!
This recipe makes a lot of food! I estimate at least 6 servings depending on how much you eat.
If you want more flavor, try adding your favorite salsa, this homemade Pico de Gallo, homemade guacamole or your other favorite flavors. I almost always make this with a can of green chili now but when I first started making this I left it plain and would spice it up later.
Find more easy and delicious Vegan Instant Pot recipes on my Instant Pot page!
Sharing is caring!
Read Also: What Is Instant Pot Poultry Mode
Why This Recipe Works
- Diet friendly: Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free
- No soaking required: Rice and beans cook at the same time and the beans don’t have to soaked
- Fix it and forget it: Move aside stove-top rice and beans, this recipe requires minimal active time and cooks while you attend to other things
- Versatile: Use as a filling in tacos, burritos, burrito bowls or just eat the rice and beans on their own piled high with your favorite toppings!
Making Perfect Black Beans
Just a couple of steps to make perfect beans!
You May Like: Can You Cook Bacon In An Instant Pot
More Ways To Use Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice: CLASSIC! Mix with brown rice for a simple meal. You can also top with chicken, a fried or poached egg, and avocado or salsa.
- Add to a tofu or egg scramble.
- Mash with avocado and spread on toasted bread for next-level avocado toast .
- Fill burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, tacosand all other good things involving tortillas and cheese.
- Make the Cuban Beans and Rice that Im sharing later this week!
How To Make Rice And Beans In An Instant Pot
Making authentic-tasting Mexican rice and beans in the Instant Pot is so easy! Dont let all the buttons intimidate you. This recipe is a great beginner Instant Pot recipe. And if you find yourself unsure of anything check out our post called Is the Instant Pot Worth It, which is a complete beginners guide to the Instant Pot.
To make this easy Instant Pot beans and rice recipe, press the “saute” button and add the oil to the liner of the pot. Once the pot is hot add the chopped garlic cloves and onions. The garlic and onions will give the beans and rice a nice flavor base. Then, season them with salt and cumin and add the chipotle salsa. The chipotle salsa is key for the most authentic flavor. The chipotle adds smokiness and heat to the dish I really like. If you prefer things more on the mild side, feel free to substitute mild salsa instead.
Once you have added the salsa and the seasonings to your onions and garlic, give everything a stir. Then you can add your brown rice water. Last but not least add the diced tomato. Make sure you dont stir after you add the tomatoes. You want the tomatoes on top so they dont burn on the bottom. Then secure the lid and make sure the valve is sealed. Pressure cook for 20 mins.
;If you prefer, you could use homemade black beans. We have a fabulous recipe that tells you everything you need to know about Instant Pot Dried Beans here.
Also Check: How To Convert Slow Cooker Recipe To Instant Pot
Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Black Beans
- Salt beans after cooking, not before. This helps the beans to become tender while cooking.
- When Im in a hurry , I take a shortcut with this recipe by omitting the chopped onion and minced garlic. Instead, I add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder along with the other seasonings. The beans are still so delicious!
- If you want to use your black beans in recipes for baked goods or non-Mexican flavored dishes, you can make these Instant Pot black beans without seasonings. Simply add only the beans and water to your Instant Pot and cook as directed in the recipe. You can salt the beans after cooking, if desired.
Congri Or Cuban Rice Dish
Some claim that the term congri is what you call it when you cook kidney beans with the rice, and moros y cristianos is the term for black beans and rice. Either way, this Cuban black beans and rice dish is good for you .
Whatever the case, Pedro claims that my Instant Pot moros y cristianos recipe tastes like the real deal. And I take that as quite the compliment, coming from a man who lived on Cuban food for his first 22 years of life!
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Wash & Rinse Black Rice
*Pro Tip: The Rice to Water Ratio is critical in cooking perfect rice, so be mindful in measuring the exact amount you use!
Method #1 Easy Method:
Add 1 cup Black Rice to the inner pot. Rinse the rice a few times over cold water, and rub the rice with your hands. Drain really well.
Add 1 cup cold water in the inner pot, then remove 2 3 tablespoons of water.
Method #2 The Most Precise Method:
Place the inner pot on a kitchen scale. Add 1 cup Black Rice in the inner pot. Click on the tare button and rinse the rice a few times over cold water. Drain well.
Place the inner pot back on the kitchen scale and pour in cold water until it indicates 250g or 250ml on the kitchen scale.
*Pro Tip: Dont panic when you see the water turns deep purple/reddish black color. Its the powerful disease-fighting anthocyanin antioxidants!