How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Place chicken breasts in the inner pot of the instant pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1 cup pineapple juice or chicken stock and season with minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Place lid on instant pot and be sure vent knob is pointed towards sealed.
- Set pressure cooker to the cooking time based on the size of chicken breasts. NOT how many chicken breasts you are cooking.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release of pressure. This is key to keeping your chicken breasts tender–don’t be tempted to do a quick release of pressure.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the liquid and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving or shredding.
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Whole Chicken Recipe
Start by trussing the chicken. Tie its legs and also tie up the wings and thighs.; This makes it more compact and helps it hold together.; Need a step-by-step tutorial in trussing a chicken? Check here for how to truss a Chicken.;;
;Mix; up a seasoning blend or grab your favorite rub and rub a bit on the chicken. Reserve most of it for later though. My mix here is a mix of Italian Seasoning and various spices.
Give it a good amount of salt and pepper too. I actually used Montreal Steak seasoning in this recipe because it is extra salty. That helps make the skin crispy.;
Put the whole chicken in the air fry basket. It might be a bit of a tight fit.
Add a cup and a half of chicken broth to the pot,; then put the air fryer basket on its base inside.;
Pressure cook for 25 minutes on high pressure followed by 15 minutes of natural release. Then, if needed, drain the liquid. I drained mine, but probably did not have to do so because it was not touching my chicken.;;;
Next, spray the chicken with some oil. I like to use an avocado oil spray, and then give it a good rub with the seasonings. Put on the air fryer lid and air fry at 400 for about ten minutes.; Take the chicken out, flip it over, and repeat for the other side. I had to use oven mitts to pull my chicken out.; Next time, I might make a foil sling for it.
Then, remove it from the pot, carve it, and serve!;
S For Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- An Instant Pot or any electric pressure cooker
- Frozen chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other desired seasonings
Don’t Miss: Convert Slow Cooker Time To Instant Pot
How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
How to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot: This is the best way to cook frozen chicken! Read on for all of the tips and tricks you need to make perfectly juicy chicken breasts in your pressure cooker, every time.
Even the most organized person can forget to plan ahead. If you need to get dinner on the table fast but forgot to take your chicken out of the freezer, your Instant Pot is going to be your best friend.
You can safely cook frozen meat in an Instant Pot because pressure cooking cooks foods quickly. Unlike a slow cooker, in which frozen food may stay in a dangerous temperature range for too long, the Instant Pot can quickly bring frozen food to a safe temperature.
Before getting started, read my Instant Pot Guide for my tips on how to use an Instant Pot.
Chicken Breast Instant Pot Cook Times
BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
Fresh Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 8 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 10-ounce boneless chicken breasts
Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 12 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 10-ounce boneless chicken breasts
BONE-IN CHICKEN BREASTS
Fresh Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- 10 minutes, natural release for 5 minutes
- Based on 12-ounce bone-in chicken breasts
Frozen Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- 25 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 12-ounce bone-in chicken breasts
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
Instant Pot/ Pressure Cooking, Main Dish, Recipes
Learning how to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot is life changing. For reals, if you’ve not joined the Instant Pot craze, aka electric pressure cooking, you my friend are about to. And apparently, aka is my favorite thing to say today, so let’s rock it.
I must confess, I am a late comer to the Instant Pot, because I’m an old-fashioned kind of girl who didn’t really want to add one more thing to my homestead kitchen. But, the allure of being able to cook a whole frozen solid chicken when I forgot to thaw it out and am an hour away from super time reeled me in.
Let’s say that tends to happen a lot, even with; meal planning the day will get away from me and I’ll forget to take things out of the freezer until an hour before cook time, in the normal world, this causes issues with getting food on the table. In the Instant Pot world it’s not a problem.
My sweet husband bought me my cooker,>;this exact model right here;<, for Mother’s Day last year. The first time I used it I whispered, Where have you been all my life? It also became a standing joke that everything I cooked would be via the Instant Pot and I almost brought it with us during a camping trip.
My slow cooker has since been removed to soap making and crafting projects only and I got rid of my rice cooker and vegetable steamer. Because the Instant Pot, she does it all.
Slow Cooker vs. Pressure Cooker
What Are Some Flavor Ideas For Instant Pot Chicken
Want to spice things up? Try some of these suggestions to quickly transform a plain chicken breast:
- Change up the liquid: skip the chicken stock and opt for beer, apple juice or pineapple juice instead.
- Add some Asian flair: add a tablespoon of miso paste and a splash of soy sauce to the chicken stock.
- Go for Mexican flavors: add in 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and finish off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice to the chicken stock.
- Make it Mediterranean: add 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano and garlic powder to your stock.
- Be bold with Buffalo chicken flavor: embolden your chicken stock with 1/4 cup hot sauce or your favorite wing sauce, 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon celery seed. Top finished chicken with blue cheese.
Read Also: Cook Frozen Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Ways To Use Cooked Chicken
The cooked chicken can be used in any recipe that calls for precooked chicken. Shred, slice, or cube it as needed, then use it however you like!
Tuck a few slices of chicken into a sourdough sandwich, or top a salad to make a light lunch. Toss cubed chicken into a soup or pasta dish. Mix shredded chicken with BBQ sauce or hot sauce for sliders or tacos.
How Do You Add Flavor To Your Instant Pot Chicken
You might like to try something different in your Instant Pot to add more flavor to your chicken. If so, instead of chicken broth in the pressure cooker try using one of these liquids instead:
- white wine I LOVE the flavor wine gives chicken.
- pineapple juice This would be amazing with Teriyaki sauce, vegetables and rice.
- orange juice Another great alternative if you dont have pineapple juice in the fridge.
- apple juice This is next on my list to try!
- tomato juice or V-8 This would be great for shredded chicken added to Italian or tortilla soup.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Fava Beans In Instant Pot
Can I Make More Than 15 Lbs Of Chicken Breast At Once
You can make as much chicken as your Instant Pot will hold. If youre going to stack your chicken breast, we recommend shredding at the end as they will sort of stick together while cooking.
Do note that you Instant Pot will take a bit longer to build pressure if you have more than 1.5 lbs. chicken breast in there.
Top Tips For Instant Pot Chicken
- Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F before consuming.
- You can cook fresh or frozen chicken in a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 cup liquid to a 6 quart Instant Pot, or 1 ½ cups for the 8 quart.
- You can use water, broth, or another liquid to fill the cooker. I recommend using chicken broth when cooking chicken for better flavor.
- Use a trivet or steamer basket to keep chicken sitting above the liquid , to help cook more evenly.
- When planning how long it will take to prepare your chicken, consider 3 times: the time it takes to come to pressure + the actual cook time + the time it takes to release pressure.
You May Like: How To Boil Milk In Instant Pot
For Sliceable Chicken Breast
We don’t recommend making more than 2 pounds of frozen chicken breast if you’d like your chicken breast to be sliceable. We found that over 2 pounds, the chicken cooks unevenly. You’ll wind up with raw chicken breast in the center and sliceable breast on the outside, and if you continue cooking the outside will shred while the inside is more of a sliceable consistency. So, if you have over 2 pounds of chicken, just cook it to a shreddable consistency, or defrost and bake it!
As with shreddable chicken, youll simply place the frozen chicken in the Instant Pot along with a cup of water, and set it to cook for a set amount of time. Easy peasy!;
Instant Pot Whole Chicken And Gravy
Instant Pot Whole Chicken is the fastest way to cook a rotisserie chicken. Cooking Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot is so juicy and youll love the easy 3-ingredient chicken gravy made from the drippings.
We love the instant pot not just for the speed of making dinner, but because it comes together in one pot. One and done just like our Instant Pot White Chicken Chili and Instant Pot Chicken and Rice. Explore our best Instant Pot Recipes Here.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Recommended Reading: Steam Tamales In Pressure Cooker
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Recipe
Heres how I do it, I toss four frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts in, add water, seal it, close the vent, and set the pressure to high for 10;minutes. Then, after the 10;minutes, I quickly release the pressure and remove the chicken. Thats it! From frozen to tender, juicy, delicious, and almost like a miracle chicken in 10;minutes!
From that point, you can use your pressure cooker chicken any way that you desire. From serving it with side dishes to shredding it to use in all sorts of recipes. I like to do both!
Ive shared with you before how I like to make shredded chicken for the week to use in recipes using my slow cooker, I still do. Sometimes, Ill use the slow cooker and sometimes Ill use the pressure cooker and sometimes Ill just bake it in the oven. It depends on the mood Im in. Gosh at the possibilities!
Heres my pressure cooker chicken printable recipe card. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Instant Pot Chicken: How To Cook Chicken In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken is my favorite way to cook chicken for quick family dinners, meal prep, or to prep for shredding. It makes the chicken so moist and its such a simple method. This post will go over the step by step process for making chicken breast, thighs, legs, tenders, wings, and even a whole chicken in a pressure cooker.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Frozen Hamburger
Serving Recommendations For Cooked Chicken Breast
There are so many ways to answer the question on what to do with cooked chicken breast! Here are a few ways to turn your Instant Pot chicken breast recipe into a meal:
- Shredded: Shred meat with 2 forks, refrigerate and use to make chicken salad or white chicken chili. Or skip sauteing and use instead of ground turkey to make pasta bake.
- Diced: Cube to add protein to vegetarian pasta dish, easy spaghetti recipe or even vegetable soup or borscht. Why not?!
- Low carb meal: Make one of healthy zucchini recipes and enjoy quick dinner entire family will love.
- Meal prep: Refrigerate whole or cubed and use throughout the week for lunches sub out your sandwich deli meat for chicken or use in Cobb salad.
- Freeze for later.;When ready to eat, thaw on the counter for a few hours or in the fridge overnight.
Alternately, browse 65 chicken recipes perfect for putting your Instant Pot chicken to good use!
Major tip alert! Save that broth on the bottom of the pot for making chicken soup or any soup. It is basically free chicken broth.
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken:
- Cook the chicken for 6 minutes per pound and allow a 15-minute natural pressure release. Releasing the pressure gradually will ensure your chicken is fully cooked through and rested for the juiciest chicken. It also prevents foam from shooting out of the valve.
- Weigh the chicken to ensure the proper cooking time . Overcooking the bird will cause it to fall apart and will make it difficult to transfer.
- Make sure your chicken fits your instant pot size. Our 6 qt instant pot fits up to a 5 lb chicken. An 8 qt pressure cooker is better for the larger sized chickens.
- Use a Trivet for even cooking and to help remove the chicken from the instant pot.
- Broil the chicken for a crisp salty skin
- Do not discard the drippings they make the best gravy to pour over your chicken.
- Keep the carcass and bones for Instant Pot Chicken Broth.
Read Also: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
What To Serve With Chicken Legs
I am a huge fan of serving grilled veggies like asparagus or zucchini with chicken lets. I also think this Classic Wedge Salad is a perfect pairing. You might also try these crispy oven-roasted potatoes.
If youd rather add some carbs, try our creamy Stovetop Mac & Cheese, or this easy Black Bean & Corn Pasta Salad.
Cant make up your mind? Check out this list of 10 great summer salads that all pair well with chicken.
Ww Freestyle Points: 4
Reduce the WW Points to 2 points
So Ive made this recipe several times, n lately the chicken has ended up dried out n chewy, like it was overcooked, but I always followed the recipe cook times. Tonight the chicken turned out perfect!! Idk if its cuz I didnt saute them as long, or cuz they sat in the IP for 12 minutes, instead of 8, n naturally released the pressure, or maybe because I used lemon pepper seasoning, tbh, idk, lol, but it turned out perfectly tender n extra juicy!!
I had a half of a whole chicken that we purchased from the farmers market. I made it the same but increased the cook time to 8 minutes. I dont know if it was the free-range organic chicken or your recipe or the instant pot but it was the juiciest chicken I have ever made!! When I inserted the thermometer the juice actually squirted at me. So good!!!Thank you!!
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Yogurt Without Yogurt Button
Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Frozen Chicken
- Be sure to add the 1 cup of liquid to the Instant Pot. Pressure cooking requires liquid to create steam and pressure in the pot, which cooks your food.
- If you plan to shred your cooked chicken, add some of the cooking liquid and follow my tips for how to shred chicken.
- It is not recommended that you freeze food more than once, so if you cook chicken breasts from frozen you should not re-freeze the cooked chicken.
- Cooked chicken will stay fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Always be sure to turn the steam release valve to the sealing position when pressure cooking in your Instant Pot. Forgetting to do this is a common mistake.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes