How To Serve Your Mashed Potatoes
Adding additional ingredients to your mashed potatoes isn’t necessary, but it’s a great way to put a spin on this classic dish. Some of Lo’s favorite mix-ins for mashed potatoes include roasted garlic, grated aged cheddar, and crispy bacon bits.
She also likes to garnish her mashed potatoes with garden-grown chives to level them up. “For the ultimate side dish, add them all,” Lo says.
Her favorite dishes to serve alongside Instant Pot mashed potatoes include pork roast, beef pot roast, ribs, and barbecue sirloin steak. And, of course, it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without a fluffy mound of gravy-soaked mashed potatoes right next to the turkey and stuffing.
You can also top your mashed potatoes with gravy, cheese, sour cream, or extra butter to elevate the flavor profile even further.
Quick tip: For vegan mashed potatoes, use a vegan butter substitute and dairy-free milk or coconut milk instead of milk or cream. You can also reserve and use the potato cooking water to mash them with. Serve them with slabs of crispy marinated tofu or tempeh or a tasty bowl of Instant Pot cooked beans.
Do I Have To Use A Steamer Basket
The easiest way to cook them is in a steamer basket. However, if you dont have one, I recommend doing your best to stack them on the trivet that was included with your pressure cooker.
You can cook them directly on the bottom of the pressure cooker, but they wont cook as evenly and will have a higher water content.
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
This mashed potatoes recipe is so simple. Make it once and you will probably have it memorized.
You May Like: Instant Pot Keeps Saying Food Burn
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes With Your Instant Pot
I think potatoes are best cooked the day you want to serve them.
However, to simplify things, you can cook them a few hours before you wish to eat them. After mashing, return them to your cooking pot on the keep warm setting, or transfer them to a crock pot set to the lowest setting.
Be sure to spray the pot with nonstick cooking spray or rub on a little oil to prevent sticking.
If theyll be warming for a few hours, add a little more milk on top of the potatoes in the pot to make sure the tops dont dry out.
Tips And Tricks For Instant Pot Meatloaf And Mashed Potatoes
- Dont over-mix. Mix the meatloaf ingredients only until just combined. If you overwork the meat, it could come out dry and tough.
- Be careful when you take the meatloaf out of the pot. There will be hot dripping in the foil.
- Let it rest. Make sure you let your meatloaf sit for at least 10 minutes before slicing into it so the moisture has a chance to settle back into the meat. if you cut into it too soon, that moisture will seep out and you might end up with dry meatloaf.
- If youre skipping the potatoes, set the meatloaf on a trivet and add some broth or water. You will still need liquid in the instant pot for it to come to pressure.
- No instant pot? Check out my sheet pan mini meatloaf and roasted potatoes recipe instead!
Read Also: Venison Roast Instant Pot
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes For Thanksgiving
If you make just one pressure cooker Thanksgiving recipe this year, I definitely recommend it be mashed potatoes.
Check out my Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Thanksgiving Guide for tips on how to use your pressure cooker this Thanksgiving! I even have two guides to walk you through a meal, including turkey, stuffing, cranberry, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie.
If you are just getting started with your Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot, check out our Getting Started Guideand our Easy Recipes for the Pressure Cooker.
Why Youll Love Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- This recipe is ready super fast. Using an instant pot pressure cooker speeds everything up. The potatoes will be cooked in a short 10 minutes . Then, just drain, mash, and add all the other ingredients. Next to quick cooking vegetables like Sautéed Garlic Green Beans, this is one of the fastest sides youll ever prepare.
- Theyre so easy to make. The only thing thats easier to make than these instant pot mashed potatoes is probably pre-packaged sides that you can toss in the microwave before calling it a day. It takes minimal prep work .
- Theyre incredibly creamy. Youll love the smooth and creamy texture of these pressure cooker mashed potatoes. The perfect balance of butter, sour cream, and milk delivers exactly the right texture that you want in mashed potatoes.
- Theyre lightly seasoned but so flavorful. These mashed potatoes are seasoned simply with just garlic powder, salt, and pepper. But combined with the buttery, milky, creamy mashed potatoes, it adds just the right amount of added flavor.
Also Check: What Does Burn Mean On The Instant Pot
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes: Faq
How long do you cook mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot?
The process takes about 20 minutes, including close to 10 minutes of cook time. Prep other ingredients while the potatoes cook.
Can you use red potatoes, sweet potatoes, or cauliflower?
Yukon gold and russet potatoes are starchier than red potatoes, which makes them fluffier when mashed. Choose these varieties over their waxier red cousins.
Cut Into Uniform Sized Pieces
Since the thickness of foods makes the biggest difference in pressure cooking, try to keep your potatoes uniform in size so that they cook evenly.
Quarter your potatoes if theyre medium-sized potatoes. Make more cuts if theyre larger potatoes.
When cooking vegetables, it is always best to undercook them, if the potatoes do need more time, just steam them with the lid on to avoid overcooking.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Turkey Tenderloin In Instant Pot
How Do You Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
The first step is to peel and chop your potatoes. You can leave your potato pieces on the larger side. The potatoes go into the pressure cooker along with salt and water. I cook my potatoes on manual pressure and it takes just 10 minutes until theyre tender and ready to be mashed.
I keep things simple and mash my potatoes with some milk, butter, salt and pepper. That being said, there are so many different ways to customize your mashed potatoes.
How To Make Mashed Potato In An Instant Pot
If youre a regular reader of this blog you will know about my obsession with my air fryer. However, there is one food that you cant really make in an air fryer mashed potato!
Luckily I also have an Instant Pot , which is awesome for making mashed potatoes.
Sure you can make them on the stove-top, but using an Instant Pot, or other electric pressure cooker, requires less direct supervision while they are cooking, and also frees up the stove top if you are making them as part of a holiday feast and already have all burners allocated.
Scroll down for the printable card for this Instant Pot mashed potato recipe, or read on for all the details!
Read Also: Cook Artichokes In Instant Pot
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Were definitely making mashed potatoes way more often with the instant pot. Heres why we love this method so much:
- Quick Cooking Potatoes in the instant pot takes only 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Better Flavor The potatoes are essentially steam-cooked on high pressure so the nutrients and flavor arent lost to the cooking water.
- No Draining Required The potatoes absorb the liquid in the pot so you can skip the draining step.
- One-Pot You can cook and mash all inside the bowl of the instant pot so there are fewer dishes to clean.
- Perfectly Cooked Pressure cooking ensures the potatoes are fully cooked through, perfectly tender, and not lumpy.
More Side Dish Recipes
Rachael is the creator of the food and travel blog Eazy Peazy Mealz where she shares simple to make recipes for busy families. She loves food and the power it has to create traditions, family bonds, and memories, and strives to share delicious, practical recipes with easy to find ingredients and simple instructions. Beyond food, her passion is travel, and she is regularly found away from home, with her 4 kids in tow, exploring the world. Her favorite way to experience a new place is through her tastebuds, and with hands on cooking classes. And she loves sharing what she has learned with her readers.
Also Check: How To Cook Venison Roast In An Instant Pot
How To Make Flavored Mashed Potatoes
This Instant Pot Mashed Potato recipe is a perfect side for any meat and gravy meal.
However, you can still serve mashed potatoes even if your main dish doesnt have gravy!
For garlic mashed potatoes, place a clove or two of minced garlic on top of the potatoes before steaming? Or just infuse the flavor by placing several smashed cloves of garlic in the water below the steamer basket.
To complement a chicken dish, use chicken or turkey broth below the potatoes or in place of some or all of the milk.
If you want your potatoes to cook up extra rich and creamy, replace the milk with heavy cream. Or add 1 cup ricotta cheese or cream cheese to your potatoes.
In my cookbook, I also have recipes for Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes , Twice Baked Potatoes , and Loaded Baked Potatoes .
What To Do With Leftover Mashed Potatoes
I really love having leftover mashed potatoes! Well often make a double batch and have mashed potatoes and gravy the first night.
The next night, Ill make the topping from my Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes Au Gratin. Warm up the leftover potatoes, top with the cheese and breadcrumb topping, and pop under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs are crispy.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How Do I Fix Runny Mashed Potatoes
Ooh, do be careful when youre adding the liquid . Add the liquid in increments, not all at once, until you reach the right consistency.
Theres a few fixes for runny mashed potatoes. My personal favorite is to turn them into a potato casserole. Put those runny potatoes into a greased casserole dish, mix in some cheddar cheese and maybe even a couple of tablespoons of flour or breadcrumbs, depending on how runny they are. Top with more cheese and buttered bread crumbs and bake at 350ºF for a half hour or so. Yum!
An alternative would be to mix in dry instant potatoes until your mashed potatoes reach the desired consistency.
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Also Check: Instant Pot Frozen Meatballs
Reheating And Storing Mashed Potatoes
You can make a big pot of mashed potatoes ahead of time and store them in an airtight container, but expect them to have a slightly different flavor and be less fluffy when reheated.
If leftover mashed potatoes are too dry, try adding a splash of milk and a pat of butter to moisten them. “Mine never last long enough to go beyond one day,” says Lo, but leftover or made-ahead mashed potatoes should last around two to three days in the fridge.
Heat Milk & Cut Butter
Once the Instant Pot gets up to pressure, heat milk over medium-low heat on the stove.
Once the milk has reached a simmer, turn off the heat.
Then, cut the room temperature unsalted butter into cubes.
Now, open the lid carefully.
Let the Instant Pot stay in the Keep Warm Mode.
Then, transfer the potatoes to a large serving bowl.
Discard the water and remove the steamer rack from the inner pot.
Rinse and dry the inner pot really well with a towel, then place inner pot back in the Instant Pot.
Food Mill Instructions: If youre using a food mill, layer the food mill on the inner pot. Then, mash the potatoes into the inner pot .
Potato Masher Instructions: If youre using a potato masher, transfer the potatoes back into the inner pot and mash the potatoes.
Lastly, give the mashed potatoes a few quick stirs with a silicone spatula.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
We Love Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes are the best part of any holiday meal and the perfect side with almost anything! They go especially well with sauces, gravy or things like Salisbury steak, beef tips, or Swiss steak.
- Below Ive shared my favorite tips and tricks for creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes each and every time.
- They are so buttery and creamy, nobody can resist !
- Mashed potatoes are great on their own and of course, served with turkey and gravy, holiday meals or just as good ol comfort food.
Read Also: Instant Pot Burn Indicator
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes Tips
1. If you want flavorful and buttery mashed potatoes, dont forget to heat up the butter, garlic and milk before mixing it with the potatoes. The potatoes will absorb the flavors much better this way.
2. Not all potatoes are created equal. So, if you want fluffy mashed potatoes, stick with starchy potatoes like Russets or Yukon Golds.
3. Yes, you can double this recipe. The timing will stay the same. If you are tripling the recipe or the potatoes are packed too tightly, you may have to increase the cooking time by 1 2 minutes.
Read Also: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Tricks For Smooth And Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Use the right mashing tool For perfect, lump free mashed potatoes, I highly recommend using a ricer or a food mill instead of a traditional masher.
If youre in a hurry, you can use your KitchenAid mixer. But you need to be really carefuloverwhipping your potatoes can make them gluey and youll still be likely to have some lumps.
Butter first. Another tip is to stir in the room temperature butter before adding the warm liquids to the mashed potatoes.
When Im in a hurry, Ill warm the butter and milk together. However, if you add room temperature butter and stir them in before adding warm liquid, . This will prevent the mashed potatoes from absorbing as much liquid so theyll stay dry and fluffy.
The Best Potatoes For Mashed Potatoes:
Russet potatoes are the preferred variety for making mashed potatoes because of their lighter color and creamy texture. You can also use waxier potatoes like Yukon potatoes or gold potatoes, but they will be more yellow in color and have a slightly different consistency and flavor. We have tested both and often use whichever we have on hand.
Cooks Tip:You can use either water or low sodium chicken broth for the potato cooking liquid. Water will keep the potatoes lighter in color while broth adds more flavor.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Brisket Cooking Time
What Is The Best Potato For Mashed Potatoes
I use Russet potatoes in this recipe, which in my opinion, is the best potato for mashed potatoes. You can also use Yukon Gold potatoes with good results. I wouldnt recommend using other varieties of potatoes like red potatoes because they are waxier and can turn pasty when mashed.
Instant Pot mashed potatoes are the perfect addition to any holiday meal, primarily because they dont take up any oven or stove top space, leaving you plenty of room to make your turkey, sides and desserts. These potatoes are on our table every Thanksgiving and they always get rave reviews!
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Potatoes:
- Use a trivet so your potatoes are perfectly steam-cooked without any brown edges.
- Cut the potatoes so they are uniform in size and large enough to sit on the rack without slipping through.
- Salt to Taste after mashing and add more at the end if needed.
Have Leftover Mashed Potatoes? Use leftover potatoes to make our famous cheesy Mashed Potato Pancakes. They are family friendly, use simple ingredients and are quick and easy to make.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is just another reason to love your instant pot. Its a time saver and produces consistently great results every time.
Read Also: Can You Cook Frozen Meat In A Pressure Cooker
Cook In The Instant Pot
The sliced potatoes, garlic, and chicken broth go in first, then youll set the pot to high pressure cook for 13-14 minutes .
Once the Instant Pot signals it is finished, youll quick release and then drain some of the chicken broth, if youd like.
You can also make these Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes no drain by, well, simply not draining off any of the chicken broth, which is exactly what I did. These mashed potatoes turned out perfect for my preference, so if youre unsure of what kind of texture youre going for, drain some liquid and reserve it you can always add some back in!
Also Check: Instant Pot Sucks