How To Make It
To make this, I start with 2 cups of brown rice and 2 ½ cups of water, stock or broth.
I then seal my Instant Pot and set the timer for 15 minutes. I then let my Instant Pot release pressure naturally. Youll see that all of the liquid from the water, stock or broth that you added are absorbed into the rice making it tender and delicious.
Youll also notice that I do not add a lot of seasoning to my recipe as it cooks. Heres why. I prefer to leave it unseasoned so that I can season it based on the dish that I am serving it with or including it in. Of course, if you are preparing your rice to serve immediately, seasonings are perfect to include. If you are making batches of it like I like to do, youll most likely prefer for it to be unseasoned as well.
Fluff your rice using a fork and then serve.
Instant Pot Rice Cook Times
If you need a quick reference for cooking rice, here is the timing I use for cooking the most common varieties of rice
- White Rice : 4 minutes at high pressure
- Brown Rice : 22 minutes at high pressure
- Wild Rice: 25-30 minutes at high pressure
With all of these varieties of rice, the water ratio remains the same.
Rice Cookers And The Instant Pot
When you cook white rice on the stove, the typical ratio is 1 part rice to 2 parts water. With rice cookers you dont need to remember ratios at all. Just measure rice with the cookers cup accessory . Then fill the machines pot to a precalibrated water line to match your uncooked rice amount.
Rice cookers often have multiple water volume lines. The one you choose depends on the kind of rice you plan to make. Not so with an Instant Pot, which has just one series of suggested water volume lines that matches the water levels that standard rice cookers suggest for white rice. It also translates to a 1:1 ratio . Most importantly, the volume lines account for displacement caused by the volume of rice itself .
Instant Pot also recommends a 1:1 ratio for all grains of cooked rice. This included everything from brown to jasmine, basmati and wild rice. The only variable that changes is how long it should cook.
Recommended Reading: Pressure Cooker Recipes Venison
How To Make Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot White Rice
White rice is SO quick and easy to make in your pressure cooker. However, this recipe will work in ANY brand of electric pressure cooker, including the Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi, and Mealthy MultiPot.
This is the recipe Ive made the most in my pressure cooker. In fact, I havent cooked rice on the stove since I tried this recipe.
I adapted the recipe for the electric pressure cooker from the Three-Minute Spiced White Basmati Rice recipe in the Veggie Queens ebook , The New Fast Food. The pressure cooker really is the best way to make fast food.
This white rice recipe works well with basmati, jasmine, short and long grain white rices.
Should I Use The Rice Button
All Instant Pot models come with a “rice” button which functions similarly to a rice cooker. While it’s convenient since you only have to press one button, it only works for long-grained white rice and is not recommended for other varieties like short-grain rice or brown rice.
“I never use the rice button,” says Haymaker. “I’ve had much more success just looking up cook times for various types of rice and using the manual pressure setting.”
Don’t Miss: How Long Do Spaghetti Squash Keep
Weaknesses Of An Instant Pot
- You cannot taste the food while cooking, and on occasion, the seasoning of these meals is somewhat off.
- Large footprint, in other words, its so large you could vanish in the depths. For those with significantly less storage space accessible in your home, you have to be cautious before purchasing instant pots rather than rice cookers.
- When we compare immediate pot vs. rice cookers, this instant pots significant drawback is that its more expensive than other classic stovetop pressure cookers.
- Instant Pots are somewhat more dangerous to function than rice cookers.
Which Types Of Instant Pot Rice Are Your Favorites
*Well continue to update this list. So, be sure to bookmark these Instant Pot Rice Recipes for later.
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
What Youll Love About An Instant Pot
- Cooks quickly: An Instant Pot takes about 3-5 minutes to cook rice with an additional 10 minutes for natural release. This is quicker than most rice cookers by about 15-20 minutes.
- Replaces several cooking appliances: The 7-in-1 Instant Pot takes the place of your pressure cooker, yogurt maker, slow cooker, steamer, saute pan, food warmer and rice cooker. The 11-in-1 Instant Pot can also air fry, bake, broil and dehydrate. If youre looking for an appliance that can do more than just cook rice, the Instant Pot is the better choice.
- Sterilize: One of the great things about an Instant Pot is that its able to kill off most of the bacteria responsible for causing food poisoning. The temperature gets much hotter than a rice cooker.
How To Store Rice
If you have extra rice, you can refrigerate or freeze the leftovers for later, but you need to take certain precautions for food safety. Uncooked rice can be contaminated with spores of a bacteria that can survive the cooking process. If cooked rice is left to sit at room temperature, the bacteria may multiply.
Its best to eat cooked rice right away after cooking. If you have leftover rice, cool it quickly by laying it out in a thin layer. Refrigerate or freeze rice as soon as possible after cooking . Use refrigerated cooked rice within 2 days or frozen rice within a month. Reheat rice until steaming hot before serving.
You May Like: Frozen Ground Beef Pressure Cooker Recipes
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
This Jasmine rice is super simple but following these tips will make it fluffy and tender every time!
- Always rinse your rice before cooking it in an instant pot! This will remove surface starch, and rinsing it will keep it from getting foamy and messy.If you dont have or cant find Jasmine rice, you can use another long grain white rice in its place, like Basmati rice.
- Dont leave the rice in the instant pot on the warm setting or it will stick to the bottom and possibly burn.
- Use a 1:1 ratio of rice and liquid or your rice will become too mushy.
- You can modify this recipe for 3 cups of rice or 1 cup of rice, depending on how many people you are serving. Just be sure to also adjust your liquid, too.
You May Like: Burn Notice Instant Pot
How Much Rice Can You Cook In The Instant Pot
The most rice Ive ever cooked at one time is 3 cups of dry rice with 3 cups of water. I think you could probably go up to 5 cups of dry rice, as long as you dont fill the pot more than halfway full for safety.
Rice creates foamy, starchy water as it cooks, so you wouldnt want it to rise too high during the cooking cycle and damage your pot.
When doubling or tripling a recipe in the Instant Pot, the cooking time doesnt change. However, the overall time will be longer when you cook a larger quantity, because it will take longer for the pot to come to pressure when compared to a smaller quantity of rice.
- 1cupbrown rice, rinsed
- 1 cupwater
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Vs Rice Cooker: Which Is Better For Cooking Rice
Instant pot vs rice cooker, which one is better for cooking nice, fluffy ice? The truth is, theyre both good for providing delicious rice. However, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
For instance, instant pots are multi-cookers with different cooking functions. Rice cookers, on the other hand, are dedicated to cooking rice only. Thus, instant pots are more versatile than rice cookers.
In todays article, I will talk about instant pots and rice cookers, in general, how to cook rice in both, pros and cons of both cooking appliances, and help you decide which one suits your needs best.
Benefits Of A Rice Cooker
- Rice cooker cooks rice quicker than other conventional strategies and consistently does so.
- Running a rice cooker to generate rice is much better and more comfortable than other conventional cooking rice procedures. They can easily be programmable for different kinds of rice and the way you would like to cook.
- Rice cookers are a breeze to wash, and nearly all the cooker elements are dishwasher safe to produce the job easily.
- New rice cookers might not be as adaptable as instantaneous stoves. However, they could do lots of jobs such as steaming fruits or vegetables and simmering vegetables for soups and other recipes.
- Rice cookers are safer to work with when compared to instantaneous containers.
Read Also: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
What Youll Love About A Rice Cooker
- Produces the best rice: Since cooking rice is its primary function, a rice cooker makes superior rice the steam and boiling water create the perfect rice without being too soggy. However, it depends on personal preference some people may prefer rice cooked in an Instant Pot.
- Easy to use and clean: It varies by model, but most rice cookers only have a few buttons and are relatively straightforward. Most have one pot thats usually dishwasher-safe, which also makes cleanup a breeze.
- Safety: Because a rice cooker only heats up to boiling temperature, its safer than an Instant Pot. However, its still vital to be careful when the unit is on.
- Affordable: While you can find expensive rice cookers, the cheapest rice cookers are more affordable than the cheapest Instant Pots.
- Can cook different types of rice: A rice cooker often comes with several cooking programs, including white rice, brown rice, quick rice, mixed rice or sushi rice. If youre cooking more than just white rice, a rice cooker is easier to manage.
Why Do You Rinse Rice
The chief reason to rinse is to remove surface starch from rice grains, which can make them gummy as they cook. Soaking allows rice to absorb water, giving it a leg up on cooking. This helps it to have a better, more even texture, instead of drying out while the inside is not evenly steamed and fluffed.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Steak
Does Instant Pot Duo Cook Crispy Rice
With the pressure cooker lid in place, the Duo Crisp works almost the same as the Instant Pot Duo, but there are no buttons for most preset cooking programs such as rice, yogurt or meat/stew which makes the Duo so easy to use. As with all air fryers, the Duo Crisp air fryer lid does not fry food.
How To Reheat Rice
When I reheat rice I always use it in fried rice. That way I know I warmed my rice thoroughly.
It is very important to heat all of your rice because of bacteria that can survive in cooked rice.
So heat your wok or skillet to hot and add your rice. You can reheat from frozen. Just stir it continuously until you see all of the rice is piping hot. Then serve.
You can also reheat the rice using the microwave but I never do this. If you do, add 2 tablespoons of water to an airtight container with the rice.
Put the container in the microwave and heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until it is really hot through.
Check if the internal temperature is at least 165 or hotter and serve immediately.
If you want perfect rice every time give this Instant Pot long-grain rice recipe a try!
Made a recipe please tag @fastfoodbistro on , on , and like us on for more information and updates.
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How Much Rice Can You Cook In An Instant Pot
The recipe below is for cooking 2 cups of rice, which will yield about 6 cups of cooked rice. The water to rice ratio and cook time stay the same regardless of the amount of rice you are cooking.
You can cook more rice as long as you dont exceed the maximum fill lines on your pot. Rice will expand as it cooks, so you have to account for this:
- You can double this recipe to cook 4 cups of rice in a 6 quart Instant Pot, which will make about 12 cups of cooked rice.
- If you have an 8 quart Instant Pot , you can triple this recipe to cook 6 cups rice. This will make about 18 cups of cooked rice.
Do You Have To Rinse Rice
For years I have resisted the practice of rinsing rice. It was one awkward step in an otherwise quick and easy process. And my mom and gramma certainly never did it.
However, sources such as Cooks Illustrated and the Kitchn recommend rinsing long grain rices in order for your rice to have a better texture. They say not to worry about rinsing rice that you want to be creamy in texture, such as risotto.
Other sources, such as Consumer Reports and The New Food Lovers Companion, recommend rinsing for health reasons you can remove up to 30% of the rices inorganic arsenic content by rinsing it. Brown rice has a higher arsenic content than white, so its probably a good candidate for rinsing.
Since some white rices can be coated with talc containing asbestos, a type of preservative, rinsing isnt a bad idea all the way around.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Steel Cut Oats In The Instant Pot
How To Make White Rice In Instant Pot
1) Wash rice till water runs clear then add rice in the inner pot of the instant pot pressure cooker.
2) Add water, oil and salt then cover the pot safely with its lid. Turn the valve into sealing position.
3) Set instant pot to manual pressure cook 8 minutes and when done, do 5 minutes natural pressure release.
4) When instant pot is depressurised, open the instant pot pressure cooker.
Wait dont fluff yet ! The rice wont be seperate grains at this point.
5) Take the inner pot out of the instant pot and leave partly opened for 5 minutes before fluffing rice with fork.
6) Leave for another 5 minutes before serving full, seperate, soft yet firm instant pot white rice. Enjoy!
Types Of Instant Pots
You can find various models of instant pots in the market but theyre mostly similar. Certain models may have special and more advanced features than others, so choose very carefully.
Features like these can make your cooking experience a lot better. Based on the features, you can either buy a smart or regular instant pot. As you would assume, regular ones have fewer features.
You can cook and steam different dishes with a regular instant pot. Additionally, some units allow you to prepare air fry dishes and cases too. However, theyre still less advanced than smart machines.
Smart instant pots include a wifi feature. Utilizing this, you can easily connect the unit to your phone. Its things like remote control of the functions that make people choose smart over standard pots.
Theyre just perfect for the days when you feel super lazy but still want homemade yummy rice. Last but not least, instant pots differ in size. You will find them ranging between 3-10 quarts out there.
The most popular are 3, 6, and 8 quart instant pots. If youre normally cooking for 2-3 people, opt for a 3 quart instant pot. If youre cooking for over 6 people, buy an 8 quart instant pot.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Vegetarian Instant Pot Rice Recipes
1. 5-Ingredient Rice and Beans | From My Bowl2. Cilantro Lime Rice | Sidetracked Sarah3. Healthier Veggie Fried Rice | Tasty4. Instant Pot Rice and Vegetables | Caramel Tinted Life5. Vegan Burrito Bowls | Delish Knowledge6. Wild Rice with Mushrooms | Veggie Chick7. Vegan Tex-Mex Rice | Make it Dairy Free8. Cheesy Rice and Vegetables | The Salty Marshmallow9. Red Beans and Rice | Simple Veganista10. Lemony Rice and Vegetable Soup | Moms Kitchen Handbook
What If My Rice Is Too Hard With A : 1 Ratio
If your rice is hard or uncooked that doesnt mean next time it needs more water, that means, next time it needs more TIME. Did you wait for FULL natural pressure release?
Unfortunately, you cannot safe undercooked rice in the Instant Pot as putting the lid back on and turning the pot back on just leads to the dreaded burn warning. I recommend adding the undercooked rice to a soup or stew maybe 5 minutes before its done simmering.
You May Like: How To Steam Artichokes In Instant Pot
Brown Rice In Instant Pot Or Pressure Cookers
Ive tested and made brown rice in many different ways: rice cookers, stovetop, microwaves, and instant pots. These days, Instant Pots are super popular electric pressure cookers that can cook many different types of recipes.
Brown rice is one of my favorite things to cook in an Instant Pot because its almost foolproof. Cooking brown rice in an instant is definitely faster than using a rice cooker or more hands-free than using a microwave. Using an Instant Pot for brown rice is also much less finicky than cooking jasmine rice in an Instant Pot or cooking white rice in an Instant Pot because the ratios for water and brown rice are similar across the board.
Since brown rice still has the outer layer of bran intact , it takes a bit longer for it to cook. With the use of an Instant Pot, cooking brown rice takes about 20 minutes of cooking time plus the pressure release time . This is significantly quicker than using a rice cooker, which can take upwards of 45 minutes to cook.